• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Bless America: there's a black market for Blue Bell recall ice cream at $10k/tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Though Blue Bell will indeed eventually return to market, at the very least in Texas and under new regulations, some people's fears have gotten the best of them. The ice cream recalled for listeria is selling for high prices, up to $10,000 on Craigslist. Some half eaten tubs are even fetching hundreds. It isn't America if there aren't people hunting Craigslist for black market listeria-recall ice cream.

0dZVILc.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/deal-restock-...lt-10-211555961--sector.html?.gg_forward=true

DALLAS (Reuters) - A thriving black market for Blue Bell ice cream recalled over Listeria concerns that saw asking prices of up to $10,000 a tub looked set to collapse on Thursday after the maker reached an agreement with Texas to bring its products back to stores.

Under the deal, Blue Bell Creameries must give two weeks notice before it starts to again ship its products so they can be tested to prevent another Listeria outbreak, the Texas Department of State Health Services said.

When the 108-year-old Texas company, based in Brenham, announced a voluntary recall of all its products in April, some who had hoarded them took to the Internet to sell such items as Moo-llennium Crunch, Banana Pudding and Homemade Vanilla to consumers anxious they would never see the frozen treats in stores again.

To Texans, Blue Bell is a product many see as a defining element of the state's culinary identity, along with the likes of barbecue, Lone Star beer and Tex-Mex cuisine.

An unopened pint of Krazy Kookie Dough, a product sold at stores for a few dollars, was being marketed on Craigslist for $10,000 before the company's latest announcement.

"Purchased just mere weeks ago, this is like an oasis in the desert for you ice cream lovers," the Austin-area seller posted.

Post to the black market if old

Razmos

When the 108-year-old Texas company, based in Brenham, announced a voluntary recall of all its products in April, some who had hoarded them took to the Internet to sell
They... were prepared?

First of all, hoarders are crazy people. secondly, anyone buying said ice cream is a crazy person. It's ice cream!

America: as fat as ever but treating food like a precious resource

Blue Bell isn't even worth going to the store to buy. It's definitely not worth paying some creep to possibly die or get sick from eating.

styl3s

I don't even think i would put Blue Bell in my top 5 brands. Mayfield, Ben & Jerry, Doz, Edy's are all fucking amazing. Even Breyer's has good ice cream. And you also have Turkey Hill and Target's brand Ice Cream is so so good. I think their brand is Market Pantry.. They have the best gummies you will ever eat and even Krogers has good ice cream.

Do people live in places where you can only get BB ice cream? There are plenty of amazing ice cream brands out there.

deafmedal

Overpriced bullshit straight from Belle's ass. Fools and their money...

"Moo-Moo, Moo-Moo, Moo-Mooooooo"

Although I did enjoy visiting the factory as a child :p

Edit:mistake

oneils

People were listing for sale at 10k but no one was necessarily buying it. These articles are such click bait.

cajunator

Banned
hopefully I can get my creole cream cheese flavor back soon because sure as hell nobody else makes it.
You can find equivalents of other flavors that I like, but Creole cream cheese is a special flavor.

kirby_fox

Banned
Blue Bell is higher up on my list of "Who makes decent ice cream?" but still at the bottom of that list. I think last time I bought Blue Bell was probably...8 years ago. I remember because it was a birthday cake flavor and I thought "I want to try this" and it wasn't bad, but was not a thing I could eat a lot of.

Savitar

That makes no sense, who would pay such prices for ice cream. I mean even the best cream...........it makes no sense..........no sense at all..........unless.......

OH NO.

Oh God.

It's happening......it all makes sense....

Rootbeer

Banned
Tried it once. Shit ice cream. Talenti all the way.

they're very good but also much more expensive.

Though price isn't really a concern if people are willing to pay $10k for a tub. WTF people.

just wait... it will be back in stores before you know it.

I spoke to a driver with Mayfield in the ICU waiting room the night before last. He said a lot of schools in the Atlanta area used Blue Bell and have switched to Mayfield. He said BB had a ton of drivers who are all displaced now.

Also learned, according to him, Mayfield and Baskin Robins are the same icecream.

Laekon

So no evidence that anyone was buying just that there were listings on Craigslist.

Maybe life threatening ice cream is the best weapon to fend off Special Forcess soldiers fighting to bring ISIS to Walmarts in Texas.

Higgy

Not buying this at all. 99% of Americans don't have 10 grand laying around to spend on anything let alone ice cream. Seems more like find dumb listing on Craigslist and attach that story line to look it's those dumb mericans again!

You can always find some idiots to give you some dumb quotes to legitimize your story too.

Dryk

Selling food that has literally killed people on Craigslist seems like it should be illegal. Please tell me it's illegal in the US.

Selling food that has literally killed people on Craigslist seems like it should be illegal. Please tell me it's illegal in the US.

More people die every month from malfunctioning used recliners than Blue Bell icecream in the last 50 years.

Ventara

Wait, I don't understand. People are paying thousands of dollars for ice cream (which may be infected with listeria)? Is there something I'm missing? Is this some sort of super ice cream?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel like people buy Blue Bell because you get more than you would with Ben and Jerrys, Haagen Daz, etc. but it's better than the grocery store brand.

Why not just buy a bunch of Ben and Jerry's instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom