• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best solution for low and high powered nextgen console debate!

I had a flash of thought this morning, what if they release one next gen console as powerful as they can make ps5 or Scarlett and focus on 1080p or 1440p to push the utmost graphics and design quality as they can.

And produce detachable memory catridges to upgrade the quality specifically to allow the games to reach 4k if possible 8k say a next gen game, would be written on the box 1080p custom 4k available with upgraded ram! And sell the ram offshelf it'll be awesome if it's gddr ram 8gb,16,32,64 and so on..... The offshelf ram won't be to increase graphics fidelity but simply frame rate and resolution that way gamers with extra bucks can improve the experience as they want to!

Don't you need more than just RAM for better framerate and resolution?
Yes u need more than ram but ram is more important and almost always the bottleneck besides they have powerfull cpus and GPUs and its a game console they can hard code it to efficiently use the memory to increase resolution and frame rate

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
RAM wouldn't provide those improvements though--it's not responsible for rendering. What our consoles really need are upgraded GPUs and CPUs, responsible for graphical rendering and in-game logic (whether it be NPC AI, or the physics of ash particles).
I could upgrade my PC's RAM from 16GB to 32GB right now, and it would provide zero benefits to my gaming, because I've never played a game that even used half my RAM.

There's always upgradeable GPUs and CPUs though--but then console manufacturers would just be pulling themselves closer to PC, albeit with, uh, paid online, and fewer capabilities.

Yes u need more than ram but ram is more important and almost always the bottleneck besides they have powerfull cpus and GPUs and its a game console they can hard code it to efficiently use the memory to increase resolution and frame rate
The bottleneck this gen are the weak CPUs, and their GPUs weren't top-of-the-line even when the consoles launched. A much-needed improvement over the long-lasting 7th-gen, but not powerful.

Only solution otherwise it's a clusterfuck growing downhill, they'll lose money in making 2 different consoles, well lose quality designed games aswell studios will lose money developing games for multiple architectures, this is the only solution, if u only need 1080p get the base console if u need 4k 8k get the upgrade catridges

RAM wouldn't provide those improvements though--it's not responsible for rendering. What our consoles really need are upgraded GPUs and CPUs, responsible for graphical rendering and in-game logic (whether it be NPC AI, or the physics of ash particles).
I could upgrade my PC's RAM from 16GB to 32GB right now, and it would provide zero benefits to my gaming, because I've never played a game that even used half my RAM.

There's always upgradeable GPUs and CPUs though--but then console manufacturers would just be pulling themselves closer to PC, albeit with, uh, paid online, and fewer capabilities.

The bottleneck this gen are the weak CPUs, and their GPUs weren't top-of-the-line even when the consoles launched. A much-needed improvement over the long-lasting 7th-gen, but not powerful.
Ram capacity and bandwidth is the biggest reason u can get more frames and resolution it's the capacity of data in a single frame and how much data you can send in that second hence resolution is data and frames per second is amount data thrown every second, with zen 2 CPUs and powerful GPUs they can easily compute the data thrown at them, with adding more memory developers can hard code it to efficiently use that data and also more memory means they can feed the hungry GPU and CPU

I had a flash of thought this morning, what if they release one next gen console as powerful as they can make ps5 or Scarlett and focus on 1080p or 1440p to push the utmost graphics and design quality as they can.

And produce detachable memory catridges to upgrade the quality specifically to allow the games to reach 4k if possible 8k say a next gen game, would be written on the box 1080p custom 4k available with upgraded ram! And sell the ram offshelf it'll be awesome if it's gddr ram 8gb,16,32,64 and so on..... The offshelf ram won't be to increase graphics fidelity but simply frame rate and resolution that way gamers with extra bucks can improve the experience as they want to!

i would love that idea.. like a memory cartridge..

i would love that idea.. like a memory cartridge..
Yes if they can make gddr memory catridges at 8gb to 32gb just to push those extra 4k pixels and FPS it'll be awesome, for both gamers and developers, most gamers have 1080p TVs so they don't need 4k direct and makes the custom console cheap and ps5/Scarlett will be pushed to the max without wasting resources on high resolution n when u get a 4k TV you can upgrade the console to support 4k via catridge or even 8k if possible,

Saves the developer time and budget not to design a game to work in multiple systems and aswell saves console makers money not to spend billions on making multiple systems!

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The best low powered next-gen console already exists: Raspberry Pi4, it can even play Dreamcast games!

Yes if they can make gddr memory catridges at 8gb to 32gb just to push those extra 4k pixels and FPS it'll be awesome, for both gamers and developers, most gamers have 1080p TVs so they don't need 4k direct and makes the custom console cheap and ps5/Scarlett will be pushed to the max without wasting resources on high resolution n when u get a 4k TV you can upgrade the console to support 4k via catridge or even 8k if possible,

Saves the developer time and budget not to design a game to work in multiple systems and aswell saves console makers money not to spend billions on making multiple systems!

augmentation of fps and resolution is not realistic though.. games will be cpu and gpu bound.. not memory bound.. but the idea of memory expansion is still enticing to me.. i'm just not sure what it will bring to the table..

augmentation of fps and resolution is not realistic though.. games will be cpu and gpu bound.. not memory bound.. but the idea of memory expansion is still enticing to me.. i'm just not sure what it will bring to the table..
Anything involving data is memory bound the GPUs and CPUs are fast enough in next gen consoles it's the memory that's starving, 4k resolution means 4x the pixel data from 1080p that's 70% a memory problem it's always the memory

Anything involving data is memory bound the GPUs and CPUs are fast enough in next gen consoles it's the memory that's starving, 4k resolution means 4x the pixel data from 1080p that's 70% a memory problem it's always the memory

is it though? wouldn't higher resolution require more gpu resources? devs could of course make adjustments to account for additional ram and not max out the cpu and gpu at lower resolution.. but that would require a mandate in the devkit from either sony or ms..

is it though? wouldn't higher resolution require more gpu resources? devs could of course make adjustments to account for additional ram and not max out the cpu and gpu at lower resolution.. but that would require a mandate in the devkit from either sony or ms..
It's 30 percent a processing prob lem and 70 percent a memory problem it's always a memory problem your looking at how many pixels you can hold per frame and how many you can throw every second this is why amd created the ssG GPU a GPU soldered with a ssd to edit 8k videos seamlessly it's always the memory bro and with more of it developers can free up GPU resources and efficiently play with the data....

It's 30 percent a processing prob lem and 70 percent a memory problem it's always a memory problem your looking at how many pixels you can hold per frame and how many you can throw every second this is why amd created the ssG GPU a GPU soldered with a ssd to edit 8k videos seamlessly it's always the memory bro and with more of it developers can free up GPU resources and efficiently play with the data....

that's 30% of processing problem though.. how do you solve that?

Top Bottom