• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 coming to PlayStation - Game releases on August 31, 2023

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I haven't seen PS fans getting these kind of meltdowns over All previous Xbox timed exclusives and upcoming timed exclusives like STALKER 2, ARK2, Warhammer Darktide, Replaced, ExoMecha and many more.

Why do Xbox fans think they should need to get every game releasing on PS, but none of them say that PS need to get these Xbox timed games?

Such a cyring broken community it is....

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Lol Microsoft is trying to make ABK and, if successful, will make Diablo exclusive. Microsoft has already prevented Bethesda's WRPG from coming to PlayStation. Obsidian's Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 will also not release on PlayStation because of Microsoft.

What else is Sony supposed to do? They are compensating for the loss of WRPGs on PlayStation via BG3 and KOTOR Remake. There will be more console exclusives on PlayStation as a reaction to Xbox's buying spree.
Sony could of stepped up and bought Obsidian entertainment who was having huge financial issues. They were down to making AA games before Microsoft stepped up and bought them. Sony could of also stepped up and bought inexile who had a studio head who was sick of spending all his time raising money. To the point he was ready to retire because of it. Even if Microsoft closes ABK diablo 4 will still be a playstation game. I guess in 15 years diablo 5 might be an exclusive.

Its funny Sony started the war with the money hat world tour to start the generation.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony could of stepped up and bought Obsidian entertainment who was having huge financial issues. They were down to making AA games before Microsoft stepped up and bought them. Sony could of also stepped up and bought inexile who had a studio head who was sick of spending all his time raising money. To the point he was ready to retire because of it. Even if Microsoft closes ABK diablo 4 will still be a playstation game. I guess in 15 years diablo 5 might be an exclusive.

Its funny Sony started the war with the money hat world tour to start the generation.
True. Xbox could also have stepped up and get KOTOR Remake up and BG3 (if it is indeed exclusive, of which we're not sure yet) as an Xbox exclusive.

One company's miss is another one's victory. It's a zero-sum game out there.

Handel

I haven't seen PS fans getting these kind of meltdowns over All previous Xbox timed exclusives and upcoming timed exclusives like STALKER 2, ARK2, Warhammer Darktide, Replaced, ExoMecha and many more.

Why do Xbox fans think they should need to get every game releasing on PS, but none of them say that PS need to get these Xbox timed games?

PS fans are too busy crying over Bethesda and now the possibility of ABK

Poltz

Sony have no exclusivity over BG3.

A PR representative tells Push Square there's no exclusivity tied to the game's launch. "Right now Larian is planning to release Baldur’s Gate 3 for PC, Mac, GeForce NOW, and PS5. That said, they don't have exclusivity and will announce support for additional platforms if and when they’re ready."

Last edited:
[/URL]

A PR representative tells Push Square there's no exclusivity tied to the game's launch. "Right now Larian is planning to release Baldur’s Gate 3 for PC, Mac, GeForce NOW, and PS5. That said, they don't have exclusivity and will announce support for additional platforms if and when they’re ready."
So not Xbox and Switch, before you laugh DOS2 is on switch and it's good (just you need patience with the loading times)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
PS fans are too busy crying over Bethesda and now the possibility of ABK

PS fans aren't crying. Thats the difference, PS fans are against the acquisition but are not crying like how the Xbox fans are having complete meltdowns over the ABK stuff and these timed exclusives.

Just look at that Windows Central jezz dude and all these ambassadors.

Cheapass gamers who want everything on GamePass.

Reminds me of those people with Malaysian Steam accounts taking a moral stance on piracy.

quest

Not Banned from OT
PS fans aren't crying. Thats the difference, PS fans are against the acquisition but are not crying like how the Xbox fans are having complete meltdowns over the ABK stuff and these timed exclusives.

Just look at that Windows Central jezz dude and all these ambassadors.
There has been nothing for sony only owners to cry about since it has been almost a decade since a AAA game from a major studio has not launched day 1 on the playstation. While xbox only owners have many AAA games from major studios taken away yearly. Playstation only fans are absolutely melting down over abk and zenimax but style and profile when sony goes on a money hat world tour. It's being hypocrisy at its finest. Its cool to remove games along as its not from my playstation.

Topher

Gold Member
There has been nothing for sony only owners to cry about since it has been almost a decade since a AAA game from a major studio has not launched day 1 on the playstation. While xbox only owners have many AAA games from major studios taken away yearly. Playstation only fans are absolutely melting down over abk and zenimax but style and profile when sony goes on a money hat world tour. It's being hypocrisy at its finest. Its cool to remove games along as its not from my playstation.

Just as hypocritical to limit discussion on timed exclusivity to AAA games.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just as hypocritical to limit discussion on timed exclusivity to AAA games.
There is huge difference helping an indy who needs it like kena or stalker 2 and giving money to line the pockets of a ceo of a major studio to take a game away.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

So you compare these individual timed of console exclusive games with all these Publisher acquisitions?

Topher

Gold Member
There is huge difference helping an indy who needs it like kena or stalker 2 and giving money to line the pockets of a ceo of a major studio to take a game away.

So now we are talking about helping devs? You said this was about gamers not getting games at launch. Goalposts moved.....but fine. So why are you under the impression that a multi-trillion dollar corporation cannot help devs without mandating exclusivity?

Last edited:

ToadMan

BouncyLongAntlion-size_restricted.gif
Holy shit that gif.

Probably my first time seeing it but anyway 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
So now we are talking about helping devs? You said this was about gamers not getting games at launch. Goalposts moved.....but fine. So why are you under the impression that a multi-trillion dollar corporation cannot help devs without mandating exclusivity?
It's about scale a major studio AAA game and a indy AA. Its the same between buying a publisher and studio scale. I be more than happy if the regulars said no to the abk deal as long as Sony doesn't money hat from a major studio. Lets not forget the melt downs over 1 timed xbox AAA from a major studio tomb raider in a decade. If Microsoft was doing it many times a year this place would be unbearable with Microsoft is trying to buy the industry ect.

We have 24 pages here alone for the tomb raider deal lol. This isn’t the main thread lol.

This is 125 pages lol for the announcement

Topher

Gold Member
It's about scale a major studio AAA game and a indy AA. Its the same between buying a publisher and studio scale. I be more than happy if the regulars said no to the abk deal as long as Sony doesn't money hat from a major studio. Lets not forget the melt downs over 1 timed xbox AAA from a major studio tomb raider in a decade. If Microsoft was doing it many times a year this place would be unbearable with Microsoft is trying to buy the industry ect.

We have 24 pages here alone for the tomb raider deal lol. This isn’t the main thread lol.

I'd be happy if everyone just said timed exclusives are shitty rather than try to selectively choose when it is ok (AA) and when it is not (AAA).

So weird that you posted a link to 125 page discussion where you were actively defending AAA timed exclusives.

If they take those money hats to fun fund another sleeping dogs it is all good. I don't see the big deal about a timed exclusive especially in a packed 2015. Getting this winter 2016 sounds good to me.

I am glad some other people get it. Instead of blind raging over really not to much. You said exactly what I wanted to say perfectly. Thank youl.

Not that hard to understand. They get money hats for the game to sit out during a time on a platform that it would be over shadowed by the leading game of the genre. Then they get to release the game on that platform once the shadow of the leading game of the genre has left. Maybe they could of delayed the game on all platforms but not get any money hats to do so. Those money hats are cash in hand for the game and make it easier for it to make money hence making it easier to justify making another TR game.

Friday Movie GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

While I do think there may not be exclusivity attached to it (mainly because Sony did not mention it in the SoP), but I'm not sure if the above quote is accurate. It looks odd.

The "that said, they don't have ..." part is in quotation, but why would the PR representation use the word "they". It doesn't make sense.

I think the Larian PR representative only said, "Right now Larian is planning to release Baldur’s Gate 3 for PC, Mac, GeForce NOW, and PS5." And the rest of the "quote" is by the writer of the article, creating this confusion.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'd be happy if everyone just said timed exclusives are shitty rather than try to selectively choose when it is ok (AA) and when it is not (AAA).

So weird that you posted a link to 125 page discussion where you were actively defending AAA timed exclusives.

Friday Movie GIF
As usual for them, they change the narrative when it's on their platform.

The game is not even timed-exclusive, Larian is small so they chose PS5 first. That's it.

Murdok

miracle, sony doesn't pay to remove other xbox games.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Friday Movie GIF

Ill admit i was wrong and it hurt the game and franchise. I can play this day 1 only my ps5 if i want. I always get all the home consoles since I started working including the 3do launch day.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

There is no law that says a company can only money-hat AA devs or indie devs, and no AAA.

These developers most of the time want these deals. They are open for it and it financially helps them, even AAA productions.

Sony doesn't need to pay for exclusives, the devs are just doing it for free :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm guessing it will come to Xbox later, when they have finished with the PC and PS5 version.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony doesn't need to pay for exclusives, the devs are just doing it for free :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm guessing it will come to Xbox later, when they have finished with the PC and PS5 version.
Another possibility: the devs are just taking a page out of Square Enix's and Sega's books. Wait for Xbox to approach the devs and pay them money to port to Xbox and bring the game to Game Pass. Like how it happened with Yakuza, Persona, Octopath Traveler, etc.

A few people here on GAF (including me) have discussed this possibility that more and more developers might just wait to port games on Xbox and using their limited resources to first port on PS5 and even take the timed-exclusivity money from PS.

Then get more money from Xbox to port and take the Game Pass deal.

Topher

Gold Member
Another possibility: the devs are just taking a page out of Square Enix's and Sega's books. Wait for Xbox to approach the devs and pay them money to port to Xbox and bring the game to Game Pass. Like how it happened with Yakuza, Persona, Octopath Traveler, etc.

A few people here on GAF (including me) have discussed this possibility that more and more developers might just wait to port games on Xbox and using their limited resources to first port on PS5 and even take the timed-exclusivity money from PS.

I think this is probably just a resource issue. Larian had planned on Stadia, but then when that went sideways they had resources freed to move up their port to consoles, but perhaps not enough resources for both consoles. So Larian choose the one with the largest install base. Makes more sense than putting undo burden on their dev team for a game that probably isn't going to achieve nearly the popularity on console as it will on PC.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think this is probably just a resource issue. Larian had planned on Stadia, but then when that went sideways they had resources freed to move up their port to consoles, but perhaps not enough resources for both consoles. So Larian choose the one with the largest install base. Makes more sense than putting undo burden on their dev team for a game that probably isn't going to achieve nearly the popularity on console as it will on PC.
True. Very much a possibility and modern reality of game development.

I was just mentioning another possibility. At this point, it could be many things: timed exclusivity, no Xbox port because of potentially negative ROI, delayed port because of limited resources, waiting for GP deal, and more.

Good theory, it's happening more and more, so could be on to something.

xrnzaaas

Quite a surprising announcement, but I think I'll skip it anyway. I played the early access version and it just doesn't feel like Baldur's Gate for me in terms of combat, exploration, characters or visual style and even the beginning of the story doesn't seem to fit with what I've experienced in previous games. I know that the first two games are archaic by modern standards, it's just too big of a change for my taste.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's all good.
Xbox fans will have Starfield this year while Sony ones will have this.
Win-win for everyone.

Baldur's gate, the game that will save the PS5 in 2023.

PS: also, day 1 on PS plus extra, the best deal in gaming just keeps getting better

Source for the bolded ? It's big if true.

Airbus Jr

Banned
stopped caring about this game after playing it..
it's not baldurs gate 3

it's divinity original sin 3
it's not a bad game.

but it's not baldurs gate imo
Its still a faithfull turn based rpg like all the fan asked and the last game came out 20 years ago

Surely some changes are understandable

Top Bottom