• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 sales leaps up on pre orders after bear sex scene reveal

Can I have a character with a predefined backstory but be able to customize race, look etc, that is not evil?
You can plays as one of the pre-defined Origin characters, where the characters you don't choose just become your companions, you can choose to create your own customized character, in which case all of the Origin characters are your companions. Or you can choose to be a pre-defined "Dark Urge" character, where you can customize your race and appearance and class but you will have a plot related to the Dark Urge as you backstory.

Gorgon

Please clarify to me how multiplayer works in this. I think it's like the following, nut I'm not sure:

1) Drop-in/drop-out, but the player that joins has to pick one of the 3 companions available at the time in the host player's single-player game.

2) Do a game from scratch for multiplayer, in which case it will have it's own separate savegame and players should create their characters when they join. If one player doesn't show up then one of the other 3 players playes with it too. I think it works the same even if it's only two players from the start? I guess the host plays 3 characters and the joining player only the character he/she made?

Thanks.

Guilty_AI

Please clarify to me how multiplayer works in this. I think it's like the following, nut I'm not sure:

1) Drop-in/drop-out, but the player that joins has to pick one of the 3 companions available at the time in the host player's single-player game.

2) Do a game from scratch for multiplayer, in which case it will have it's own separate savegame and players should create their characters when they join. If one player doesn't show up then one of the other 3 players playes with it too. I think it works the same even if it's only two players from the start? I guess the host plays 3 characters and the joining player only the character he/she made?

Thanks.
I assume it work as in did in DOS2, as it follows:

1) Multiplayer campaigns are save based. As you said, people can randomly join in or drop out from your game and take control of one of your party members. Of course you can impose limits on this, like only letting friends join in or play completely offline. You can't use your own character from one campaign in another person's campaign, or in another save for that matter. Maybe there is some mod or save editing trick that would let you do this, but the point is its not a supported feature.

2) You can start a MP campaign from scratch with up to 4 players, and each player will be able to make their own character as normal. This character they made is completely tied in with that save. You can't bring that character to another game, though naturally you can still start a new campaign with an identical character. The save of that campaign is tied to the host, and it can be played offline with the host controlling all the of built characters. Whoever was hosting the campaign when the group started playing is the one who keeps the save. However, its fairly easy to share save files. If you were playing with a group of friends, the host can just send you the save files and you'll be able to keep playing the campaign as normal on your computer. Naturally there is no cross-progression between these save file copies, if you are to join together to play again you can only do so in one of the copies.

Hopes that clarifies a bit.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I assume it work as in did in DOS2, as it follows:

1) Multiplayer campaigns are save based. As you said, people can randomly join in or drop out from your game and take control of one of your party members. Of course you can impose limits on this, like only letting friends join in or play completely offline. You can't use your own character from one campaign in another person's campaign, or in another save for that matter. Maybe there is some mod or save editing trick that would let you do this, but the point is its not a supported feature.

2) You can start a MP campaign from scratch with up to 4 players, and each player will be able to make their own character as normal. This character they made is completely tied in with that save. You can't bring that character to another game, though naturally you can still start a new campaign with a identical character. The save of that campaign is tied to the host, and it can be played offline with the host controlling all the of built characters. Whoever was hosting the campaign when the group started playing is the one who keeps the save. However, its fairly easy to share save files. If you were playing with a group of friends, the host can just send you the save files and you'll be able to keep playing the campaign as normal on your computer. Naturally there is no cross-progression between these save file copies, if you are to join together to play again you can only do so in one of the copies.

Hopes that clarifies a bit.

Thanks, that helps. Just one point of lingering confusion: in 1) I think you don't need a multiplayer save game, right? It's just your normal single-player playthrough save but you allow someone to drop in occasionally and play with one of the available compaions, right?

Guilty_AI

Thanks, that helps. Just one point of lingering confusion: in 1) I think you don't need a multiplayer save game, right? It's just your normal single-player playthrough save but you allow someone to drop in occasionally and play with one of the available compaions, right?
Yes. The game basically doesn't differentiate between multiplayer and single player saves. You just have saves and people can join in or out of it as they wish (with your permission of course).

Just keep in mind one thing. The game carries on regardless of having other people playing in the save or not. So if you have a SP campaign, you want to use it to play with some friends, and once you are done you wish to go back to the point before they joined in, make sure to create a save point there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom