• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Launches To Massive Concurrent Steam Players Numbers

Doom85

Five bucks says Larian gets snatched up within a year.

Austin Powers No GIF

The CEO dismissed the possibility of him and his wife selling the company.

Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

phant0m

Too be fair the twitch integration is insane too, and totally unexpected.

While I was downloading I watched a few streams for the shitty underwear unlock, but the fact you could pull up all the party's stats and spells, view their equipment and inventory in real time while the streamer is playing and vote on character interactions in dialog was amazing... I mean good streamer interaction was one of the last thing I expected from this and its superior to like 95% of everything on twitch.

holy shit that actually sounds..... fucking awesome?

Too be fair the twitch integration is insane too, and totally unexpected.

While I was downloading I watched a few streams for the shitty underwear unlock, but the fact you could pull up all the party's stats and spells, view their equipment and inventory in real time while the streamer is playing and vote on character interactions in dialog was amazing... I mean good streamer interaction was one of the last thing I expected from this and its superior to like 95% of everything on twitch.
That's awesome, checking that out right now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think Larian looks attractive to either MS or Sony or Tencent. Low MTX potential and games focused on PC platform.
Considering Sony is lacking RPG games after Microsoft's acquisition of Obsidian, InXile and Bethesda, I'm surprised why Sony still hasn't bought Larian yet.

I don't think Larian looks attractive to either MS or Sony or Tencent. Low MTX potential and games focused on PC platform.
MS literally acquired Obsidian Entertainment, inXile, and Double Fine. They have been quietly snatching up tiny indie developers focused on PC platforms. If anytihng, Larian is exactly the kind of small studio they like to target.

To be fair, this was some years ago. Now their targets are much bigger. If they get ABK, they'll probably try for EA, Take 2, or Ubisoft next. The time has seemingly passed when they wanted small fish. Now they want the whole industry, starting with its biggest players.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Tencent already owns 30%

Yeah but it feels like they already own some % of everything. I meant acquisition.

MS literally acquired Obsidian Entertainment, inXile, and Double Fine. They have been quietly snatching up tiny indie developers focused on PC platforms. If anytihng, Larian is exactly the kind of small studio they like to target.

That was in 2018-19. Things have changed a bit. I bet Spencer wasn't so obssesed about mobile back then.

Edit: I don't know, I just don't feel like Larian fits what MS and Sony are aiming for right now.

Last edited:
Yeah but it feels like they already own some % of everything. I meant acquisition.

That was in 2018-19. Things have changed a bit. I bet Spencer wasn't so obssesed about mobile back then.

Edit: I don't know, I just don't feel like Larian fits what MS and Sony are aiming for right now.
Hopefully you’re right. I don’t want either of those fucking up Larian’s chi. They’re a great company and it would be even better if they could stay that way without any over shrouding influence.

Gorgon

"Elaborating on his future plans, Vincke said that Larian still hasn't decided on its next project, presumably because the company remains focused on finishing the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S ports of Baldur's Gate 3. Once those versions are out, it is quite likely that the developer will set its sights on a smaller-scale title, with Vincke revealing he's not eager to commit another six years of his life to a single game. Following that same train of thought, the executive also suggested that Larian might tackle multiple smaller projects at once after Baldur's Gate 3 reaches all of its target platforms."

That's tremendously dissapointing. It means we won't see anything like BG3 from Larian for the next 10 years at least.

Doom85

"Elaborating on his future plans, Vincke said that Larian still hasn't decided on its next project, presumably because the company remains focused on finishing the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S ports of Baldur's Gate 3. Once those versions are out, it is quite likely that the developer will set its sights on a smaller-scale title, with Vincke revealing he's not eager to commit another six years of his life to a single game. Following that same train of thought, the executive also suggested that Larian might tackle multiple smaller projects at once after Baldur's Gate 3 reaches all of its target platforms."

That's tremendously dissapointing. It means we won't see anything like BG3 from Larian for the next 10 years at least.

Perhaps, but this is going to be a game that will have lasting value I bet. Multiple playthroughs to discover everything. Trying out different builds. I‘m sure the mod community will have some fun with this one. And it’s possible one of the smaller projects will be a DLC expansion. Hell, even small updates would be awesome, like it would be amazing if they could work out a deal to get the Blood Hunter class in here (since the copyright of the class belongs to Matt Mercer of Critical Role). I know some of the added class features from the supplement sourcebooks for D&D 5E won’t be in the game but possibly they could add some later.

Trust me, there’s still plenty they could add to this already delicious stew.

Gorgon

Making 6 year dev games with 450 people is a ticking time bomb. Fail once and they're pretty much toast.

True, but with the experience, tools and assets that they have already in place from doing this one, the next one would not have to take 6 years. Plus, it would come on the wake of BG3 sucess. BG4 would be a no brainer. After that, sure, do whatever.

Gorgon

Perhaps, but this is going to be a game that will have lasting value I bet. Multiple playthroughs to discover everything. Trying out different builds. I‘m sure the mod community will have some fun with this one. And it’s possible one of the smaller projects will be a DLC expansion. Hell, even small updates would be awesome, like it would be amazing if they could work out a deal to get the Blood Hunter class in here (since the copyright of the class belongs to Matt Mercer of Critical Role). I know some of the added class features from the supplement sourcebooks for D&D 5E won’t be in the game but possibly they could add some later.

Trust me, there’s still plenty they could add to this already delicious stew.

Certainly agree. Let's indeed hope some of those smaller projects are a couple of meaty DLC. And the mods, oh yes.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

True, but with the experience, tools and assets that they have already in place from doing this one, the next one would not have to take 6 years. Plus, it would come on the wake of BG3 sucess. BG4 would be a no brainer. After that, sure, do whatever.
It would be even worse as people's expectations would be sky high, and so would be the risk of everything falling apart. Even if it took less time it would still be the good part of 3 or 4 years, its hard to bankroll on success with such large production times. And even if they succeded it would be even worse to match expectations for next project.

Its better to lay low for a while, focus on smaller, less risky projects for a while, branch out to different ideas, then maybe sometime in the future try something big again.

It's not disappointing to me at all. The modern business of churning out one game after another is a terrible grind, that's how we get these cookie cutter AAA titles that all look like one another, because the creative energy has long been drained out of the developers. I would prefer he only undertake these types of games after he has had time to recharge creatively.

Last edited:

Catphish

So far, it's pretty much everything I hoped it would be, and everything I've been wishing someone would make for the last 20 years or so.

One thing I am definitely not doing is rushing. I wanna savor this, because games like this most certainly don't come along very often.

Thank you, Larian, and congrats on the success. Keep it coming.

Interfectum

So far, it's pretty much everything I hoped it would be, and everything I've been wishing someone would make for the last 20 years or so.

One thing I am definitely not doing is rushing. I wanna savor this, because games like this most certainly don't come along very often.

Thank you, Larian, and congrats on the success. Keep it coming.
It's as if this game was made in a parallel dimension where CRPGs evolved as they should have instead of taken off the rails and turned into Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

Gorgon

It's not disappointing to me at all. The modern business of churning out one game after another is a terrible grind, that's how we get these cookie cutter AAA titles that all look like one another, because the creative energy has long been drained out of the developers. I would prefer he only undertake these types of games after he has had time to recharge creatively.

No one is talking about turning this into another Assassins Creed or Uncharted milking run. In that sense of course I agree with you.

We're talking about things like BG1&2, The Witcher trilogy, D:OS1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Pathfinder 1&2, etc. I don't think milking applies to any of those IPs. Therefore, for me it's dissapointing to not see Larian go for BG4 before moving on to other pastures.

llgood

Banned
I think it might pass Hogwarts. I have no dog in this fight but I don't want it to because that will piss dbag-era who are hoping it will pass Hogwarts.

Guilty_AI

I think it might pass Hogwarts. I have no dog in this fight but I don't want it to because that will piss dbag-era who are hoping it will pass Hogwarts.
I doubt it'd pass Cyberpunk, which they also hate. So there's that as consolation if it does reach Hogwarts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom