• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Launches To Massive Concurrent Steam Players Numbers

Red5

I think you are a bit confused. "Private" is a different word than "independent". You think they are the same. Actibliz is independent. The owners can do whatever they want to their company. The owners decided they should sell the company to Microsoft. Who took that decision if they were not "independent"? Who? The aliens? The ET? The ghosts? Name them. Who decided they should sell the company to Microsoft?

Get me the legal distinction between "private" and "independent."

"INDEPENDENT BUSINESS means a business that is not inextricably associated with another business through common ownership, affiliation, sharing of employees, facilities, equipment, profits and losses. lf there is an “umbilical cord” relationship with a non- disadvantaged business, the business is not an independent business;"

ActivisionBlizzard as a business is associated several other businesses namely investment companies through common affiliations and ownership.

Larian studios is not.

The board of directors takes the decision in a publicly traded company on selling, they voted on it then the shareholders vote on it.

You can argue the Earth is flat all day long, 365 days a year, legally ActivisionBlizzard is a publicly traded company and not an independent entity, Larian is.

Your entire line of argumentation is futile sophistry.

Buggy Loop

Holy fuck, making a case that activision-blizzard is an indie dev?

tropic-thunder-never-go-full-retard.gif

Guilty_AI

Contemplating buying the game but I don't have the time to play it sadly.
Just take it slowly. Also, despite the massive amount of content, game is designed around you seeing only a fraction of it. As Larian said, one playthrough should be around 50-100 hours, which is just twice the lenght of an average AAA game. In the end its just as if you're playing two games.

Last edited:
Get me the legal distinction between "private" and "independent."

"INDEPENDENT BUSINESS means a business that is not inextricably associated with another business through common ownership, affiliation, sharing of employees, facilities, equipment, profits and losses. lf there is an “umbilical cord” relationship with a non- disadvantaged business, the business is not an independent business;"

ActivisionBlizzard as a business is associated several other businesses namely investment companies through common affiliations and ownership.

Larian studios is not.

The board of directors takes the decision in a publicly traded company on selling, they voted on it then the shareholders vote on it.

You can argue the Earth is flat all day long, 365 days a year, legally ActivisionBlizzard is a publicly traded company and not an independent entity, Larian is.

Your entire line of argumentation is futile sophistry.
name a company that decides on behalf of actibliz. With sources ofc. You seem to have huge knowledge in the field. Teach us then.

Red5

name a company that decides on behalf of actibliz. With sources ofc. You seem to have huge knowledge in the field. Teach us then.

Get me a legal definition that distinguishes independent from private, you can't just walk away from asserting that without showing receipts.

But you won't because there isn't. You know what don't even bother.

You're defending a flawed retarded logic that would mean all companies are classified as independent regardless of how they're structured. By your logic Microsoft is an indie dev, Sony is an indie dev, Ratheon is an indie company, Halliburton etc...etc...

If you're being sincere, then please retake those economics classes. But I doubt you are, you're wasting my time circling the drain with flawed logic and sophistry just to get the last post or word in.

Here, I'll even give you the satisfaction, you can quote this post, reply whatever you want and I'm not going to even respond, giving you the last post satisfaction.

Get me a legal definition that distinguishes independent from private, you can't just walk away from asserting that without showing receipts.

But you won't because there isn't. You know what don't even bother.

You're defending a flawed retarded logic that would mean all companies are classified as independent regardless of how they're structured. By your logic Microsoft is an indie dev, Sony is an indie dev, Ratheon is an indie company, Halliburton etc...etc...

If you're being sincere, then please retake those economics classes. But I doubt you are, you're wasting my time circling the drain with flawed logic and sophistry just to get the last post or word in.

Here, I'll even give you the satisfaction, you can quote this post, reply whatever you want and I'm not going to even respond, giving you the last post satisfaction.
It seems there might be some confusion about how arguments work. When making a claim, the burden of proof lies with the person making that claim. In this case, you claimed that only private companies can be independent, so it falls on you to provide evidence supporting the assertion that no publicly traded company can have independence. However, to save you the trouble of searching, I must inform you that ChatGPT already disagrees with your claim, suggesting that publicly traded companies can indeed be independent. So, you might be looking for a nonexistent source to back up your incorrect assumption.
hVMiwSK.png

Last edited:

EDMIX

More than spider man 2...Holy poop

yea thats crazy, but I also don't have past figures of pre-order trends to know if this is something odd or not.

As in, does the figures go up closer to release? Right now I don't have Spiderman 2 pre-ordered (was waiting to see if a Steelbook version was shown), but will pre-order likely next month.

So I don't know how much percentage pre-order months in advance vs the month prior, during the release month etc.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Starfield will be the hot new thing, so it’ll have the buzz. Most Sony players will be waiting for Spiderman, not playing BG3.

Yah. Most of the players will be Baldur’s Gate 3 right now on PC, so Starfield will be the hot new thing next month

FireFly

It seems there might be some confusion about how arguments work. When making a claim, the burden of proof lies with the person making that claim. In this case, you claimed that only private companies can be independent, so it falls on you to provide evidence supporting the assertion that no publicly traded company can have independence. However, to save you the trouble of searching, I must inform you that ChatGPT already disagrees with your claim, suggesting that publicly traded companies can indeed be independent. So, you might be looking for a nonexistent source to back up your incorrect assumption.
Presumably Red5 is using the word independent to refer to specific set of criteria, and make the claim that these set of criteria only apply to private companies. If this is the case then all he or she needs to show for the argument to go through is that in the sense of the word he or she is using, a public company can't be independent.

Pointing out that other senses of the word independent can be used to describe public companies, does nothing to address this argument. But I do appreciate the irony of lecturing someone on how to construct an argument while citing a generative A.I designed to make statements that merely sound like they might be true.

MarkMe2525

No in this scenario, the game is AAA and baldurs gate is a multimillionaire IP
Yeah, it sells enough, that's why this niche genre is still around. A product does not have to fail in the marketplace to be considered niche. Again, the term "AAA", which has more to do with the projects budget, has nothing to do with the game being niche or not.

hlm666

Monday and game is still above day one CCU numbers. There's a real chance the peak will be broken once again next weekend.
We know cyberpunk had 13 million sales in the first month with 56% on pc with 1.1 million peak ccu so this has to be on for at the very least 4 million steam sales in first month.

I think what defines “independent” at least from a consumer perspective is whether the creative decision makers of a company are those who have final say in the company.

By that definition Blizzard is definitely not indie and Larian definitely is.

Doom85

Listen you fucks, i know the game is great and all, but YOU NEED TO GO TO WORK

The entire BG community:

Harry Potter No GIF

LMAO, this reminds me of how supposedly Square has to release any new Dragon Quest game on the weekend as so many people in Japan are obsessed with the series that too many people would call in “sick” to work. Don’t know if it was ever confirmed, but still funny.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Listen you fucks, i know the game is great and all, but YOU NEED TO GO TO WORK

KuABjzt.png
i wonder if all these latest post covid records are being broken because people are working from home and simply playing games on steam.

edit: wait, just realized that the workday has ended in europe. still crazy high numbers for a weekday. maybe school and college kids since its still summer break here in the u.s?

Last edited:

vkbest

Yeah, it sells enough, that's why this niche genre is still around. A product does not have to fail in the marketplace to be considered niche. Again, the term "AAA", which has more to do with the projects budget, has nothing to do with the game being niche or not.
This is not a niche genre mate, those games in this genre has sold millions of games in PC in last decade. Only because currently a few similar games releases don’t make that a niche.

Last edited:
Presumably Red5 is using the word independent to refer to specific set of criteria, and make the claim that these set of criteria only apply to private companies. If this is the case then all he or she needs to show for the argument to go through is that in the sense of the word he or she is using, a public company can't be independent.

Pointing out that other senses of the word independent can be used to describe public companies, does nothing to address this argument. But I do appreciate the irony of lecturing someone on how to construct an argument while citing a generative A.I designed to make statements that merely sound like they might be true.
AI just confirmed there isn't any article to back up the statements he derived from the fantasy world. I ask him for a source but he failed to provide and he just disappeared. :D

Guilty_AI

i wonder if all these latest post covid records are being broken because people are working from home and simply playing games on steam.

edit: wait, just realized that the workday has ended in europe. still crazy high numbers for a weekday. maybe school and college kids since its still summer break here in the u.s?
I think its impressive because generally big releases tend to fall off on the player count quite hard come monday. I remember even Elden Ring being like that, going back to release day numbers after the weekend.

Yet this one is on track to have nearly as much, or more players on monday than it did saturday. Thats impressive because it shows a high adoption rate alongside a low amount of players dropping the game.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I just realized this game is also for Apple silicon Macs! runs pretty good on a my macstudio. (y)

MarkMe2525

This is not a niche genre mate, those games in this genre has sold millions of games in PC in last decade. Only because currently a few similar games releases don’t make that a niche.
Oh geez. Yes the gaming market is large and niche titles can sell millions.

Vaelka

I really wonder how people will feel once they get beyond the EA content, because I am currently in act 2 and I can't really go into a lot of specifics because it'd be spoilers.
But the game feels very noticeably less polished post EA and is just blatantly broken a lot of the time.
There's even stuff like voice recordings sounding like they having different mixing or whatever it's called, like it sounds suddenly as if one dialogue line is delivered into a headset in a different room it's very jarring when you hear it.
And times when characters moods shift suddenly and lines sound like they weren't intended to go together.

The ai is also completely broken beyond belief and can't handle you doing anything that isn't a straight up smash faces together fight, it's genuinely one of the dumbest ai I've seen in a very long time.
I also have performance issues with a very powerful pc in crowded areas which you get into in act 2, it started towards the end of act 1 but got worse.
If I am having the performance issues then most people will have significantly worse issues.

It's just a bit annoying to me since I am actually in act 2 and have experienced post EA content and I see everyone praising it like it's this perfect gift from god or something when it becomes very severely flawed and feels like it should've been delayed further.
I've also heard from people in act 3 that the issues become worse altho I can't speak for that.

I just really wish people wouldn't be so quick to hype and praise games when they've barely scratched the surface of it, the real issues don't begin to show until like 30 hours in or something but you still have most of the game left after that and the issues get really bad.
The EA content is very misleading as far as polish goes, I'd even suggest to people who want the best experience to wait because it has really gotten in the way of my enjoyment.

Edit: Some people have apparently been noticing audio issues too at least, I dunno if this is the same cases as I noticed but it's very immersion breaking https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/3808408328760548921/
For me it wasn't really a volume issue tho but as some others mention in the thread the quality of the recording is noticeably bad between lines.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Anyone got gameplay of playing as a cheese wheel?
I am yet to be sold on the game.

Were previous games always so "cheeky and funny" ? I only played Icewind Dale2 of these classics
I remembered this comment when i read this:

No gameplay footage unfortunately, but a player already confirmed this indeed happens. Its the comment with the spoilers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom