• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender...just started S2...what a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

openrob

I honestly think A:TLA is my favourite show full stop. I think it's the character development and the satire of the real world that make it so interesting. Every character has depth.

Korra is objectively not as good. Season 3&4 are interesting, but at best are 7/10. Where as the last airbender is as close to 10/10 as possible and every season is gold.

Going from The Great Divide to The Storm and The Blue Spirit...damn, if the rest of the series is like that, I'm in. Those two were great

The blue spirit is favourite episodes of book 1. Zuko alone is best of Book 2.

I honestly think A:TLA is my favourite show full stop. I think it's the character development and the satire of the real world that make it so interesting. Every character has depth.

Korra is objectively not as good. Season 3&4 are interesting, but at best are 7/10. Where as the last airbender is as close to 10/10 as possible and every season is gold.
I still put half the blame of korra on Nick tho as well

Da-Kid

I'm just gonna rant a little about the movie and post any spoilers for the show.

M. Night obvious did not do any real research on the show. Him making Fire benders only able to bend from a source (unless they're powerful benders) completely made it implausible and illogical that the Fire Nation would be able to dictate or oppress anyone. Fire has to be made to even exist, it isn't like the other 3 elements which all exist naturally. The show clearly explained that
Fire Benders source is the sun and the heat of it (That's why they're more powerful in the day.

The episode where the Earth Benders were isolated from land and earth was completely botched in the movie too... they were literally surrounded by earth and could have dropped some dirt on their fire source and slaughter them. I can't go on, getting upset.

Season 2 is probably some of the best western tv animation/cartoons you'll Zuko's story arc is particularly great throughout the entire series.

"Come on strike me, strike me, you've never held back before. Now I can take it and give it back" As Zuko on a cliff screaming to a storm which is a proxy for life and his entire existence as it's almost never pulled any punches towards him.
Got chills just thinking about it. Been so long since I rewatched this show.. This thread has me wanting to immediately.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Good to hear. I'm on to Season 3 nowand this is one of those shows I'm probably not going to want to end

You need to make a post with time-stamps of your thoughts as the finale is going. Or, y'know, just sit back as you watch it and cry like the rest of us did in knowledge that it's over.

Phoenixus

Amazing show, loved it. I know why there won't be a Bluray release (thanks for that Nickolodeon!) but I'd appreciate even a basic uprez at this point.

Has the time for an legit Avatar RPG passed? Series would be perfect for some CRPG-style game, four-person party with a member and skill tree for each element, the different regions and cities and cultures. etc. Like Jade Empire meets Divinity

Sadly yes. It would need to be very big budget but for an external IP; one that hasn't been particularly relevant in a decade. I don't see any publisher taking that up. Maybe if the Shyamalan series had gone all the way and been not terrible (seriously; how do you fuck up such amazing source material?!) it might be more likely, but that ship has sailed.

(Seriously though; once you've finished watching the animated series, watch the movie The Last Airbender. Shyamalan claims he's a fan of the series and it's fascinating how everything about it is wrong. Literally everything!)

Sadly yes. It would need to be very big budget but for an external IP; one that hasn't been particularly relevant in a decade. I don't see any publisher taking that up. Maybe if the Shyamalan series had gone all the way and been not terrible (seriously; how do you fuck up such amazing source material?!) it might be more likely, but that ship has sailed.

(Seriously though; once you've finished watching the animated series, watch the movie The Last Airbender. Shyamalan claims he's a fan of the series and it's fascinating how everything about it is wrong. Literally everything!)
The Blue Spirit was the episode that made the show click for me. I watched that part of the movie on Youtube and it told me everything I need to know about that movie.
I decided to check out the Blue Spirit scene from the movie-that-must-not-be-named and it's actually impressive how it completely ruined what was such an awesome chapter in the show. Saying it's a shadow of greatness would be too kind

From the outfit and mask that looks like it's from a bad Halloween costume to the attempt to directly copy scenes from the episodes but failing completely in copying what made them effective, to Aang & Spirit v guards fight/escape being so boring and uninteresting...

It's funny how I never cared about the movie or show before, but now that I'm all into the show, seeing just that one scene tells me everything I need to know about how bad the movie is

I swear the movie just seems like it was written by a chain of people who were just summarizing what the person before wrote. And only the first person in the chain actually watched the TV series. By the end of it, you just get these weird scenes. And then they're like, these scenes need explanation now.

Just amazing how they managed to ruin the movie so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom