• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender...just started S2...what a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poyunch

The show perfectly wraps up in 3 seasons. Maybe back then I may have wanted more but I feel it's a complete package now.

Also I hate Korra. In my headcanon it's not canon at all.

Poyunch

Dropped it after first half of season 2. Worth going back? Found Korra to be whiny at the time

Season 3 is pretty good. It never reaches the high points of season 1 but never goes any lower and it stays consistently good. I found Season 4 to be underwhelming and the ending "twist" felt unearned despite everyone celebrating it.

Altazor

Dropped it after first half of season 2. Worth going back? Found Korra to be whiny at the time

Yeah, I found S2 to be the weakest of the four, in no small part due to Korra herself. But hey, at least it gave us the beautiful "Beginnings" two-parter, which is pretty much essential. And S3 is fucking great.

Ezduo

Banned
Hope season three treats you better than it did me. From the highest of highs to...something middling that isn't outright offensive save for a few minutes at the end.

Damn though, marathoning through season two in one night back in high school was certainly a wonderful experience.
The Earth Kingdom fell right as the sun was coming up. Very nice touch Universe.

Skilletor

Hope season three treats you better than it did me. From the highest of highs to...something middling that isn't outright offensive save for a few minutes at the end.

Damn though, marathoning through season two in one night back in high school was certainly a wonderful experience.
The Earth Kingdom fell right as the sun was coming up. Very nice touch Universe.

It has one of the best recap episodes ever, though. lol

But I agree, S3 is pretty weak overall.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
What is going on in here?

I've never even considered this show. Seems I've been missing out completely!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I saw it for the first time early last year. Easily the best animated show I've ever seen. It's a masterpiece. I wished I hadn't dismissed it for years as being childish nonsense.

The episode before the finale is definitely the most creative "clip show" episode of a show I have ever seen.

oti

Banned
General Iroh, man. General Iroh.

Little soldier boy,
Come marching home.
Brave soldier boy,
Comes marching home.

Nightbird

Oh Boy oh boy, you just started Season 2?

You're in for a treat man. Just wait until shit gets down later in that season, because once it does, this show goes from great to GOAT.

Poyunch

Also guys I don't want to be that person but ya'll should try and hold off on posting too much. The OP hasn't even gotten to a lot of the parts you guys are posting. :x

Season 2 had better atmosphere and mood but I dunno Season 3 is my favorite season just for all the character moments.

I mean you have (Season 3 spoilers)
The Dancing moment with Katara and Aang, an episode that also humanized the Fire Nation.
Sokka getting a Sword and a Master.
Seeing the relationship between Sozin and Roku
The Bloodbending episode.
The Invasion during the Day of Black Sun AND it's failure.
Ember Island Players
And obviously the Agni Kai between Zuko and Azula.

These are almost all my favorite episodes of the series.

A-V-B

A beautiful mix of chemistry of writing, casting, sound and directing that will probably never be matched by another show on a children's network. Every piece had to be right for the series to work. Magical.

Season 2 is up there with the best animated arcs ever. Is quite perfect tbh, great characters and development, amazing fights and choreography, atmosphere, ost. It's incredible.

It's the GOAT cartoon in my opinion, at least in terms of action cartoons. Not that I wouldn't put it up there with anything, it's just weird comparing it to something like classic Simpsons or OG SpongeBob.

MaKTaiL

Also guys I don't want to be that person but ya'll should try and hold off on posting too much. The OP hasn't even gotten to a lot of the parts you guys are posting. :x

Season 2 had better atmosphere and mood but I dunno Season 3 is my favorite season just for all the character moments.

I mean you have (Season 3 spoilers)
The Dancing moment with Katara and Aang, an episode that also humanized the Fire Nation.
Sokka getting a Sword and a Master.
Seeing the relationship between Sozin and Roku
The Bloodbending episode.
The Invasion during the Day of Black Sun AND it's failure.
Ember Island Players
And obviously the Agni Kai between Zuko and Azula.

These are almost all my favorite episodes of the series.
You forgot to mention
Toph learning Metal Bending

tirminyl

Princess Azula: Do the tides command this ship?

Captain: I'm afraid I don't understand.

Princess Azula: You said the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in. Do the tides command this ship?

Captain: No, Princess.

Princess Azula: And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about smashing you against the rocky shore?

Princess Azula: Well then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over.

BEST VILLAIN!

Gosh, I love her.

This show is amazing!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yes, TLA is fantastic (for the most part). Don't bother watching Korra, however.

Also, was that episode where they have that western style shootout in Season 1 or 2?

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Korra is great, watch it. Not as good but still.

Water easily,
I'd bloodbend
. That shit is phenomenal.

Season 3 is pretty good. It never reaches the high points of season 1 but never goes any lower and it stays consistently good. I found Season 4 to be underwhelming and the ending "twist" felt unearned despite everyone celebrating it.
If all the seasons of the legend of Korra were as good as season three, it would be a damn fine show.

Princess Azula: Do the tides command this ship?

Captain: I'm afraid I don't understand.

Princess Azula: You said the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in. Do the tides command this ship?

Princess Azula: And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about smashing you against the rocky shore?

Princess Azula: Well then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over.

BEST VILLAIN!

I fucking love that scene! Azula is awesome!
and crazy

oti

Banned
As with every Avatar thread I'd advise OP to leave now and come back once they've finished both shows. It's the best for their viewing experience.

I think the funniest scene in season 2 is when
Toph makes the Boulder do a split in the wrestling ring XD

EDIT: Remember to spoil-tag anything from later in season 2 guys

Weird, I just finished the show a little while ago. It's great.

I think it would be better if it was given to cartoon network or adult swim. Some themes could be cooler and more violent. It'd be awesome.

Adaren

Book 2 blows Book 1 out of the water. You're in for a great ride OP.

Also Earth, because I really like rocks.

SaganIsGOAT

I always thought it looked lame as a kid. My current girlfriend asked me if I had ever seen it and said, "nope". Well long story short she remedied that real quick, and I am so glad she did. What an amazing story. I honestly can't believe it is a kids show with the writing. And the way they wrapped it all up was incredibly powerful. Fuck, I need to watch it again thinking about all the great moments in that show.

Weird, I just finished the show a little while ago. It's great.

I think it would be better if it was given to cartoon network or adult swim. Some themes could be cooler and more violent. It'd be awesome.

I always thought the same thing...
But Im still happy with what we got. Such an amazing show.
I think Adult Swim wouldve over done it on sexual themes and violence though

SgtCobra

Yep The Last Airbender is perhaps the GOAT western animation in my eyes. Everything was just soooo good, everything. Such a shame that The Legend of Korra couldn't hold my attention.

Takyon

Season two is just fantastic for a whole variety of reasons,the favorite of mine the complex narrative path that brings all the characters together to Ba Sing Se.

Season three however only gets more disappointing the more I look back on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom