• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender...just started S2...what a show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where has this show been all of my life. I've never watched anime, and I don't really care for animated series with the exception of the amazing Rick and Morty.

The animation, fighting choreography, funny, slightly dramatic at moments, art style, great voice acting, slick costume design, etc. etc. Really enjoying series. I know there is a movie adaptation, but I'm staying clear of that for obvious reasons.

Everyone on the show is so likable, Sokka, Aang, and Katara are awesome. Zuko is badass and Uncle is hilarious. I like martial arts movies and this show really has some good combat sequences.

Only downside is that the there is only 3 seasons, but I heard there is another series called Legend of Korra which is supposed to be pretty good.

What is everyone's favorite element? I think I would be an airbender, cuz flying!

This was the best show Nickelodeon put out in years when I saw it. After you watch the 3 season of The Last Air Bender, do yourself a favor and watch The Legend of Korra. Even better.

Luigi87

It is an absolutely excellent series, and if you're only just started season 2, it just keeps getting better. Great characters, writing, and phenominal animation make it one of the best animated series to date.

Following it, Legend of Korra is also an excellent series in its own right. While I personally feel The Last Airbender is the stronger of the two, Legend of Korra absolutely deserves to be watched.

Damn, well better late than never I guess. It's a very good show and I'm probably going to rewatch it soon myself.

As for Korra, yes it's good but not as good as the first series, so you might want to lower your expectations for that one.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Avatar- The Last Airbender is an incredible show. The Legens of Korra was good but Avatar is straight up amazing!

Enjoy it all 😀!

Also, Air and Earth are my favorite elements.

It honest to god just keeps getting better. Superb finale. You haven't even met the second best character yet! (Iroh is number 1 forever). Hope you keep loving it op

Korra is a solid follow up series. Great but just not Last Airbender levels.

Blizzard

Banned
I liked the original Airbender series better than Korra. Korra has some good stuff especially in season 1, but it had several annoyances throughout the other seasons.

Skilletor

Princess Azula: Do the tides command this ship?

Captain: I'm afraid I don't understand.

Princess Azula: You said the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in. Do the tides command this ship?

Captain: No, Princess.

Princess Azula: And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about smashing you against the rocky shore?

Princess Azula: Well then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over.

BEST VILLAIN!

Raxus

Season 2 is the highpoint of the series followed closely by
Korra Book 3
. Show really clicked into place at that point.

mcw

It's fantastic. I much prefer it to Korra despite the high quality of the animation and choreography in that show. Avatar's characters were so much more likable.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I liked the original Airbender series better than Korra. Korra has some good stuff especially in season 1, but it had several annoyances throughout the other seasons.

Yep, Korra's quality has been all over the place, while Avatar has been consistantly good throughout its run.

Only downside is that the there is only 3 seasons, but I heard there is another series called Legend of Korra which is supposed to be pretty good.

You should watch the new Voltron animated series on Netflix. It's made by the same creative team that worked on Avatar and Korra.

I really enjoyed it. Glad you are liking it!

I would do waterbending. It goes well with my personality and temperament. Also, water/ice is cool. Air would be a close second though.

ATLA is a masterpiece.

I could write a damn novel on LOK's many faults and failings compared to its predecessor, but let's just say it's a grand case of style over substance, often coming off as expensively produced ATLA fanfiction.

It is beautifully animated and choreographed, to be sure. Unfortunately, it lacks the storytelling and characterization prowess ATLA demonstrated in spades.

Altazor

So good. SO GOOD.

And the best thing, since you're just starting Season 2 - you still haven't reached the best part.

Just be ready to have a box of tissues nearby when you reach a certain episode near the end of the season. Those who've seen the series know what I'm talking about ;_;

Princess Azula: You said the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in. Do the tides command this ship?

Princess Azula: And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about smashing you against the rocky shore?

Princess Azula: Well then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over.

BEST VILLAIN!

omg omg, just watched this specific episode last night haha. She is super scary. Much more threatening than Zuko. Zuko seems to have some redeeming qualities to him. Azula, on the other hand, doesn't pull any punches.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
You just started Season 2?
You're in for a treat.

Also, it's good that it was only 3 seasons. Not many shows get to go out at the top of their games.

For later if you want to follow along with the 10th anniversary rewatch thread, which kind of petered out.

Pappasman

One of the all time great shows. Season 2 and 3 are just insanely good the whole way through.

Korra has some great aspects, but is ultimately a really awful follow up to ATLA.

Everyone telling me that I have yet to get to the good part of S2...

4793103-ronswansongiddy.gif

Loke13

BEST VILLAIN!
Azula was god tier unrelenting,ruthless, and cunning.

agreed, and when I heard the VA as the voice of the female Wizard in D3, I just had to play as Azula :D

As for bending, idk i'm torn between fire, water and air. Only one I'm not that big a fan of is earth. Always wondered, could an air bender just bend the air around an enemies head/body, essentially suffocating them?

Altazor

indeed. One of the greatest villains I've seen.

HUGE SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES FINALE
And despite me loving to hate her and her smug-ass face, I really, really felt sorry for her after the Agni Kai vs Zuko. Reduced to a incoherent, babbling wreck having lost pretty much everything. Top tier voice acting by Grey DeLisle there, even without saying a word.

VeeP

This was the best show Nickelodeon put out in years when I saw it. After you watch the 3 season of The Last Air Bender, do yourself a favor and watch The Legend of Korra. Even better.

Even Better? Huh, that's a pretty rare opinion but your entitled to it.

FYI OP, I definitely feel a majority of the people who have watched TLA and Korra prefer TLA, Korra had an AMAZING season 3, and the Beginning episodes in Season 2 were awesome.

But yea OP, TLA is pretty great. Each season improves on the previous season, and characters develop thru out the season, the plot is amazing, etc. Great show.

Fedelias

Earth bending is the best, all other answers are wrong.

One of my favorite shows of all time, enjoy every moment of it OP.

Gorillaz

Season 2 is honestly the highpoint of the entire IP/Series combined. The only thing close was S3 because it was the closer and season 3 of Korra.

They hit so many notes right from start to finish in season 2. Ba Sing Se arc being the best part. Don't know how they pulled it off.

Loke13

agreed, and when I heard the VA as the voice of the female Wizard in D3, I just had to play as Azula :D

As for bending, idk i'm torn between fire, water and air. Only one I'm not that big a fan of is earth. Always wondered, could an air bender just bend the air around an enemies head/body, essentially suffocating them?
You haven't seen Korra?

bigedole

Yes, amazing show! It started me down the path of watching anime. I also agree with those who believe ATLA is better than Korra. Korra had a great first season but it felt like there was less love put into it in the last two seasons, dunno if Nickelodeon was giving them a short leash or what.

So good. SO GOOD.

And the best thing, since you're just starting Season 2 - you still haven't reached the best part.

Just be ready to have a box of tissues nearby when you reach a certain episode near the end of the season. Those who've seen the series know what I'm talking about ;_;

Hard to say, the last 3 or 4 episodes are all outstanding for different reasons.

Amazing show, miles better than Korra,

Jigorath

Banned
Book 2 is so so good. Almost all my favorite episodes come from that season. Zuko Alone, Bitter Work, The Drill, Crossroads of Destiny, The Chase, The Desert, I could go on.

Book 3 is a step down in quality, but it gets better in the second half.

Never really cared for Korra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom