• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender...just started S2...what a show

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaganIsGOAT

And I just want to say how much I love Iroh. His writing was something else.

This scene, "I'm begging you, It's time for you to look inward and begin asking yourself the big questions. Who are YOU and what do YOU want?

that scene shook me. Iroh is a legend

One of the very best Cartoon series I've ever watched. Even if it's more anime than American style cartoon. Just about everything is right on.

Couldn't get into Korra that well, but original Avatar just may be the GOAT.

Hope we get Blu-rays sometime.

Everyone telling me that I have yet to get to the good part of S2...

4793103-ronswansongiddy.gif

I tell ya, season 2 still got me shook, and it's been years since I've seen it.

Thanks for thread, I'll start a rewatch tonight.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Season 3 is still good. Lots of fun moments and a good conclusion for most of the cast.

Season 2 is by far the peak tho. Enjoy the ride.

Neoxon

Finish the entire series & watch Legend of Korra right after you finish The Last Airbender.

You can thank me later.

Great pick OP.

I'd say Avatar s2 and s3 are amazing. Then if you want to watch Korra keep in mind that the only really solid season is book 3, with book 1 starting out strong then turning into a romantic drama, then into an annoying cheap ending that ruined a fantastic villain. Season 2 is the worst, absolutely the worst. And S4 was just heavily disappointing.

Jintor

s2 is probably up there as one of the best seasons of TV i have ever seen. It might actually be due for a rewatch now that I think about it.

I'll forever be salty Nick will never do these things:

A) ATLA Blu-rays
B) ATLA OST

Probably the best animated series I've ever watched. The universe is so rich and interesting, and its characters have plenty of development.

The fact that you're at the beginning of Book 2 means you still have plenty to see.

Best series ever not even joking. Watched all three books so many times! Everything that I can say has already been said -- a masterpiece in television for sure. Gonna watch them again now you've reminded me :p

Whilst Korra had a great follow up with an amazing Season 1 (and villain), it shat the bed with the following three seasons and dropped quickly into one of the worst and biggest time wasters I've watched.

So disappointing - tried to be patient and carry on watching, but the ball was massively dropped. Heard it had something to do with budget constraints or Nickolodeon shafting the directors over.

Fj0823

Korra season 2 is the lowest point in the entire franchise, and it's still we'll above average action shows.

Avatar Book 2 and Korea Book 3 are the highest points in my opinion.

woodland

ATLA is a masterpiece.

I could write a damn novel on LOK's many faults and failings compared to its predecessor, but let's just say it's a grand case of style over substance, often coming off as expensively produced ATLA fanfiction.

It is beautifully animated and choreographed, to be sure. Unfortunately, it lacks the storytelling and characterization prowess ATLA demonstrated in spades.

Finally, was waiting for something to say this when I saw the first page. LOK was a cool concept, but the characters are so freaking boring and the story ;\

Whilst Korra had a great follow up with an amazing Season 1 (and villain), it shat the bed with the following three seasons and dropped quickly into one of the worst and biggest time wasters I've watched.
Season 1 was great but not amazing due to the ending.
Season 3 was great and *not* shit.

Gvitor

I love this series so much. Glad you're enjoying it OP.

There's also a bunch of comics released by Dark Horse that follow the ending of ATLA, if you want more of the gAang after you finish. They also dwelve into some cliffhangers the main series left.

Best series ever not even joking. Watched all three books so many times! Everything that I can say has already been said -- a masterpiece in television for sure. Gonna watch them again now you've reminded me :p

So disappointing - tried to be patient and carry on watching, but the ball was massively dropped. Heard it had something to do with budget constraints or Nickolodeon shafting the directors over.
Season 3 is considerably better than the first season.

Korra season 2 is the lowest point in the entire franchise, and it's still we'll above average action shows.

Avatar Book 2 and Korea Book 3 are the highest points in my opinion.

it wouldn't be far off. Korra S3 really is a high that it really makes me wonder why they were able to reach it in one season and completely fucked it up in the other three.

I mean with Avatar, book 1 was like them making a kids show and it eventually seemed like they realized they had more than that.

Jacob

I'm glad that you discovered ATLA and have been enjoying it so much! ATLA is probably my favorite TV show ever and certainly the most impactful in terms of how it shaped my tastes (including but not limited to being my gateway into the world of anime). That's largely because I watched it as such a young age back when it came out, but it's a show that has phenomenal rewatch value for me as well. I had a lot of fun with my 10th anniversary rewatch that BorkBork mentioned upthread even though it was down to only a handful of us by the end.

Gotta second what many others have said about the best still being ahead of you. Book 2 is my favorite season of Avatar, largely because of the story arc in the second half. Probably the most consistent and tightly integrated string of episodes in the whole show, although I don't want to sell the rest of it short either.

Hope season three treats you better than it did me. From the highest of highs to...something middling that isn't outright offensive save for a few minutes at the end.

Damn though, marathoning through season two in one night back in high school was certainly a wonderful experience.
The Earth Kingdom fell right as the sun was coming up. Very nice touch Universe.

I felt the same way after watching Book 3 week-to-week (and then with an eight month break in the middle) back when it aired. It has really benefited from rewatching though, especially marathon rewatches where I can see everything unfold in only a couple of days of real time. I've been more patient with the pacing as a result and really enjoy the side-stories and character development, although I remain at odds with a few episodes (
mainly The Painted Lady and to some extent The Beach
).

Anyway, if you (OP) want to watch The Legend of Korra after ATLA then I wish you well with it, though I would second the recommendation to adjust your expectations somewhat. There are also a series of graphic novels that serve as a more direct sequel, although I personally do not care for them at all. I do sometimes wish that they had made more episodes of the original show but in general I'm really happy that they told a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end and told it with such consistent quality throughout. That can be something of a rarity in TV.

If you are so inclined, I would definitely recommend watching the documentary Avatar Spirits (available for free on YouTube) and/or reading The Art of the Animated Series for a detailed and fascinating look at the behind-the-scenes aspects of the show.

I prefer to think that Korra takes place in another dimension, like how there are multiple DC universes.

A-V-B

s2 is probably up there as one of the best seasons of TV i have ever seen. It might actually be due for a rewatch now that I think about it.

I'll forever be salty Nick will never do these things:

A) ATLA Blu-rays
B) ATLA OST

I can't speak to the latter, but the original can literally never happen because Nickelodeon lost the original cels. All of them. We're stuck with interlaced dvd images until the end of time.

I prefer to think that Korra takes place in another dimension, like how there are multiple DC universes.

If that were true, you could return to the paradigm of the old eastern fantasy world without high level global industry. I realize the fire nation had tanks and big drills, but there's something about the more developed Republic City that introduces an off-key tone to the show and I've never been able to put my finger on it.

Geist-

Both ATLA and TLoK are 2 of the greatest cartoons ever made, even with all the flaws TLoK had. It pretty much proved to me that the US could make good, relatively mature action cartoons on par with anything that comes out of Japan.

I really fucking hope to god Nickelodeon let's go of the avatar IP someday so someone like Netflix can pick it up. They already have Voltron, so it could be the perfect home.

It is an absolutely excellent series, and if you're only just started season 2, it just keeps getting better. Great characters, writing, and phenominal animation make it one of the best animated series to date.

Following it, Legend of Korra is also an excellent series in its own right. While I personally feel The Last Airbender is the stronger of the two, Legend of Korra absolutely deserves to be watched.

Definitely watch LoK after.

Korra is my favorite show of all time. ATLA is definitely top 10.

Now I feel like rewatching it. By far the greatest western cartoon in animation and writing. Fuck Nickelodeon.

Wait until you get to the movie.
It's really entertaining in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way. The scene with the Earthbender prisoners cracks me up every time I think of it.

Hamlet

You're in for quite the treat if you just started season 2. Easily the best season of any avatar show and quite the improvement from ATLA Season 1.

I'm still pissed we never got any action figures for Katara, Toph, Azula, Mai or Tai Lee.

Amazing series. This, Steven Universe and Justice League are the western animated trinity for me.

It's really entertaining in a 'so bad it's good' kind of way. The scene with the Earthbender prisoners cracks me up every time I think of it.

Not even. it was just dreadful in all ways possible.
The attempted humor fell flat on its face, CG was terrible, casting was awful, dialogue and writing, and to top it all of they couldnt even stay true to the cartoon.
Its the first time a movie actually pissed me off

So many Earthbenders dancing for such a small rock.

Season 3 of Korra is where it's at. Great villains
especially a murderous Airbender

Nero397

I love Avatar, it's the only TV series I've actually watched from beginning to end. Still haven't finished Korra though.

And I just want to say how much I love Iroh. His writing was something else.

This scene, "I'm begging you, It's time for you to look inward and begin asking yourself the big questions. Who are YOU and what do YOU want?

that scene shook me. Iroh is a legend

So good. I never got into Korra, but now I want to rewatch TLA. I loved the series, but I didn't realize how good it was compared to other animated shows out there. It shocks me when I remember just how old it is. It doesn't feel that old at all to me.

The Hermit

I first watched this thanks to gaf and I convinced like 10 people to watch that, everyone thanks me to this day.

Probably my favorite cartoon show ever.

Pau

My favorite show of all time.

I also really fucking enjoy reading people's impressions their first time through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom