• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain |OT| Anime, anime, ANIME COPS!

Where the hell do I find a list of the command skills I've unlocked by upgrading my baton? I can't find it in the menus.
I remember three of them (circle left stick + ZL; ZR when enemy is stunned; down up ZR) but I can't remember the fourth for the life of me.

Murr

Just saw this on Nintendo Everything

dq0QZbd.png

From the character designer of Bayonetta :messenger_hushed:

Source

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I made it to the end of the 3rd File. It’s interesting. The investigations feel like a whole other experience. It sure is different from other game(s), like others have said. The combat feels much better, especially after the first hour. The moments where tension keeps rising in the cutscenes are excellent, pure Platinum action. I’m really enjoying it, especially after spending more than 3+ hours in the world. Maria is funny too.

At first things feel super simple and for the most part, they are, but they add a couple much needed gameplay mechanics. Slicing, maneuvering, countering, etc.

One could say Eva, Scryed, JoJo, Sentai, and etc. I could fit a lot in there. It’s a good capture of it all.

Last edited:

Labolas

Won't lie, I had some difficulty adapting to the controls and felt that combat was shallow then I got to the end of file 2 and I was like holy shit and did a 180 on it. I love it, it's not Bayo or MGR or Nier, it's own thing. It's really all clicking now.

Zannegan

It happened with Bayo 2. Why would it be different this time? People are just as stupid as ever.
The Bayo rage was at least kind of understandable since the first game was multipatform and not on a Nintendo console at all (though that all goes out the window when you learn that MS and Sony passed and Nintendo saved the game from cancellation). This is a ground-up Nintendo exclusive IP though (for now at least), makes zero sense to be pissed that it's not on PS4.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The Bayo rage was at least kind of understandable since the first game was multipatform and not on a Nintendo console at all (though that all goes out the window when you learn that MS and Sony passed and Nintendo saved the game from cancellation). This is a ground-up Nintendo exclusive IP though (for now at least), makes zero sense to be pissed that it's not on PS4.
Dum dum peeps de dum de doo.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bayonetta was dead. It wasn't understandable if they got the facts right. Sony has yet to pay for Platinum to make even one game. Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2, 3, Wonderful 101, Astral Chain and Starfox Zero.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Bayonetta was dead. It wasn't understandable if they got the facts right. Sony has yet to pay for Platinum to make even one game. Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2, 3, Wonderful 101, Astral Chain and Starfox Zero.
I know, I know. I'm just saying I can at least understand the initial shock and anger. Though, again, once the facts came out, the continuing bitterness was pretty sad.

Back in the day when I was a lurker, I remember someone on here explaining why it was better off cancelled than on a Nintendo platform, because at least then the franchise might be revived one day and done justice. It was about the most petty thing I had ever read on GAF, but that was before the splitshow.

Mohonky

This game is awesome as expected, I was worried about the slower between action sequences might upset the flow but I've actually really enjoyed them. I'm only on case 2 but just started getting the combos to work with the legion. You can see an influence from past Platinum games here, particularly Wonderful 101 where you are essentially 'drawing' with the Legion to perform chain actions to stun enemies.

My only gripe so far is I wish your legion came back and was sent a little quicker to speed up the action and the thing that is maybe bugging me the most, but I just can't quite get the Evade timing correct; it feels like it has a little delay or something at the 30fps target. Anyone else had issues with that? Feels quite frustrating at times where as in Bayonetta if you miss you know its because you stuffed up, but when it works you know it's hammer time, in this it feels a bit cumbersome.

Shifty1897

Surprised that one of the reviews said the combat was more simplistic than previous Platinum games...
Once you unlock sync attacks, chain jumps, counter slashes, etc, there's a lot to unpack in this game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s on! Was disappointed to see so many copies on the shelf at Best Buy. This is the first brand new game I’ve gotten for my Switch, I can finally join the cool people on GAF 😎

As an aside, the cover art is striking, pictures don’t do it justice.
I had the exact same reaction to seeing the cover in person. Looks much better.

highrider

Banned
Ok so far I’m feeling everything about this game. The visuals look really nice in handheld mode.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Just started File 9. All my legions are ranked C4+

They’re a disaster walking, normal adds don’t have a chance with me. 1 to 2 hits and they’re gone

Bosses of course take a bit more time but never exceeded 3 minutes with a boss😂

ROMhack

Anybody know why the user Metacritic reviews are so polarised? There's about 300 0/10 reviews and 500 10/10 reviews. Seems like a concerted effort on both sides.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
PG will always deliver when it comes to their own original IP, but I do hope it sells well.

MagnesG

Banned
No life idiots that’s what’s up
It's them who started it first for the record. The game was hitting an all time low 5.7 user score before, tons of 0/10 score trolling 30fps sucks.

Still, I applaud both efforts to choose this to waste their time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just started File 9. All my legions are ranked C4+

They’re a disaster walking, normal adds don’t have a chance with me. 1 to 2 hits and they’re gone

Bosses of course take a bit more time but never exceeded 3 minutes with a boss😂
Your Switch must be smoking hot, right? Haha

I made it to mid-File 5 from what I can tell. I love what they did with the colors. I wonder if anyone has swapped out the button layout or messed with the settings much. I haven’t seen the retro game that Nintendo tweeted about.

Labolas

God, I think I like this more than Neir from a gameplay standpoint. And this setting is so my style. It really feels like a 90s anime.

Finished the first fight with Jenna and the Homunculus. That Ark Mall music is straight fire. Also Marie is the waifu of the game so far.

Last edited:
Going on Holiday today but got to File 3 at least.

Loving this game and the secrets it has on the Cases.

Will this game be a multi million seller like Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Mista

Banned
It's number 4 on amazon right now in games, only behind digital 10$ gift cards for PS4/X1/Switch (no. 1 in actual software), so that's a pretty good sign.
A pretty good sign indeed. Amazon now selling gift cards again? For the last couple of weeks they’re always “unavailable”

It gets even worse, this retardation is actually carrying over to other Nintendo games now.

Dropped from in the 8's to a 6.8 (despite having few negative written reviews compared to positive) in last few days, and look at this "brilliant" review from those negatives.

teTO9T5.png

Platinum Games made Fire Emblem now......................................................................................

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It gets even worse, this retardation is actually carrying over to other Nintendo games now.

Dropped from in the 8's to a 6.8 (despite having few negative written reviews compared to positive), and look at this "brilliant" review from those negatives.

teTO9T5.png

Platinum Games made Fire Emblem now......................................................................................
What do they actually gain from this?

Top Bottom