• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain |OT| Anime, anime, ANIME COPS!

Komatsu

astral-chain-logo.jpg

release-info.png

Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release: August 30, 2019
Genre: Action
Rating: T (USA), 16 (EU)

development.png
Platinum-Games-Inc.png

[FROM THE WIKI] PlatinumGames Inc. is a Japanese video game developer that was founded in October 2007 as result of a merger between two companies, Seeds Inc. and Odd Inc. Shinji Mikami, Atsushi Inaba, and Hideki Kamiya founded Seeds Inc. after the closure of Capcom's Clover Studio, while Odd Inc. was founded by Tatsuya Minami. Over the years, PlatinumGames had developed an expertise in action games and one of their key philosophies was that the team would not follow conventional game design concepts. Since 2013, PlatinumGames had held a close relationship with console manufacturer Nintendo, which funded several of their titles, including The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2. The studio also worked on creating new installments in other studios' franchises, with the studio taking major development duties on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for Konami, Star Fox Zero for Nintendo, and Nier: Automata for Square Enix. Nier Automata, which was both a critical and commercial success, was an important project for PlatinumGames, since it was their first game released after the cancellation of Scalebound, a project funded by Microsoft Studios.

MAJOR CREDITS

director-taura-wl.png

katsura-cdesign-wl.png

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
THERE YOU GO BABY! The black text doesn't work well to people using the dark theme but its nothing huge to be honest

Super neat OT and loved the credits part where you're giving the crucial members of the team a recognition

BRING ON FRIDAY

Komatsu

THERE YOU GO BABY! The black text doesn't work well to people using the dark theme but its nothing huge to be honest

Super neat OT and loved the credits part where you're giving the crucial members of the team a recognition

BRING ON FRIDAY

Thanks for the heads-up, Mista! I will add white lines around the black text in order to make it visible to all.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am quite excited for this game. I love Masakazu-san's style, and the art direction is just absolutely stellar!

I am a bit sad the Collector's Edition did not come to NA, but I will be happy just to get a physical ver.

rubhen925

So I'm playing the game right now and loving it. There's a split between investigation and combat. For me id rather just have the combat but the investigations move the plot through. Also the ui is super slick!

I'm having trouble with controlling the legion and the player at the same time. My brain doesn't work like that.

Also the camera is annoying at times especially when the combat is so hectic. The camera doesn't keep up and fps takes a hit. I made a few videos for yt and while watching back I'm noticing it's usually a drop in fps in enclosed areas.

For now I got the second legion and that's as far as I got. If the camera and fps were more stable this would be a perfect game for me.

Also please play in docked mode. Handheld mode butchers the fps even more.

Last edited:

kingbean

So I'm playing the game right now and loving it. There's a split between investigation and combat. For me id rather just have the combat but the investigations move the plot through. Also the ui is super slick!

I'm having trouble with controlling the legion and the player at the same time. My brain doesn't work like that.

Also the camera is annoying at times especially when the combat is so hectic. The camera doesn't keep up and fps takes a hit. I made a few videos for yt and while watching back I'm noticing it's usually a drop in fps in enclosed areas.

For now I got the second legion and that's as far as I got. If the camera and fps were more stable this would be a perfect game for me.

Also please play in docked mode. Handheld mode butchers the fps even more.

Good info. How is the image quality in handheld though? I can probably live with the frame rate if it doesn't look like total garbage.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
GREAT OT!!! So god damn hype for this and I will be getting it day one but I wont able to play it until I comeback from vacation in Sep 7th.

Danjin44

I wish we go collector's edition in US and Canada as well, I wonder whats the reason why only Europe and Japan getting CE.

Komatsu

Yeah I’m still wondering :( .. I really need that CE but won’t get a European version

Makes no sense to me why Europe keeps getting the physical versions of so many Switch games that only get released digitally here (Guilty Gear Collection, World End Syndrome, etc.). The US market is bigger than the EU's and historically has always been receptive to Japanese releases.

Mista

Banned
Problem for me trying to import the European version is too damn expensive!
It wouldn’t be expensive for me but I like my games US version. How much it’s going to cost you if you import
Makes no sense to me why Europe keeps getting the physical versions of so many Switch games that only get released digitally here (Guilty Gear Collection, World End Syndrome, etc.). The US market is bigger than the EU's and historically has always been receptive to Japanese releases.
You’re absolutely right. Which is why I find it very weird to release it in EU instead of US! Why not both ffs!!

Danjin44

It wouldn’t be expensive for me but I like my games US version. How much it’s going to cost you if you import
I never imported my games so I have no idea but I would imagine the shipping would cost me a lot.

Moochi

The controls are smooth and intuitive. The animations are amazing. I Love the way the chains swing when you run. Stylistically cohesive and immersive, this is the most polished experience on the Switch since Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

mcz117chief

Those damn cunts at Nintendo sent an e-mail that collector's editions are much lower in stock than expected so they canceled my pre-order. Wtf is this horse shit... good thing I pre-ordered it early for it to get cancelled a DAY BEFORE RELEASE! Legendary... fucking legendary.

Komatsu

Those damn cunts at Nintendo sent an e-mail that collector's editions are much lower in stock than expected so they canceled my pre-order. Wtf is this horse shit... good thing I pre-ordered it early for it to get cancelled a DAY BEFORE RELEASE! Legendary... fucking legendary.

It's amazing to me how much Nintendo can get away with it - most of their practices are very unfriendly to the consumer and their inability to get a handle on inventory after 30-damn years in the industry is infuriating.

mcz117chief

It's amazing to me how much Nintendo can get away with it - most of their practices are very unfriendly to the consumer and their inability to get a handle on inventory after 30-damn years in the industry is infuriating.
At least they allowed me to change it to the normal edition so I at least get something. Still, it really pisses me off when shit like this happens. I don't remember this actually happening to me before. I missed a couple of limited editions by not pre-ordering early but never have I been told one day before release to suck it. That just stings, man.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Still unknown. DF played it docked only and they reported a closer to 900p. But since it’s 900p docked I’m sure it’ll be at least 720p undocked

Thanks, I seen that video but I was hoping maybe some new info had came out. I'm going to wait untill I hear some more feedback. I mostly use my switch for when the wife is watching tv.

Top Bottom