• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain |OT| Anime, anime, ANIME COPS!

I’m not experiencing that jumping issue, I’m docked with a pro controller as well

I just checked, your legion needs to be equipped with the ability “Legion Rush”. I thought it was a learned ability but it’s not. Removing it sorted out my problem.

osPwUDU.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I meant how much do you give the game out of 10😂

Oh, haha. Very good, 8-8.5. Side quests could get repetitive at times, silent protagonist was a terrible design choice, and there is some clunkiness to work past and room for improvement with the controls. Overall I really enjoyed it, and the 20 hours breezed by.

Shantae

Banned
I went out to go buy a copy of this game...Wal-mart first, no copies...Gamestop next...no copies...Target...no copies. Fuck these stores not getting more than 1 copy of anything that isn't made by a western dev.

Flintty

They killed it with the CE. It’s bloody huge! Waiting for my headache to go then I gotta get playing.

I still haven’t finished Three Houses, UA3 or bloodstained yet. Too many damn games 😱

Durask

Is there anything significantly different if you choose M or F protagonist, gameplay or story wise?

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Oh, haha. Very good, 8-8.5. Side quests could get repetitive at times, silent protagonist was a terrible design choice, and there is some clunkiness to work past and room for improvement with the controls. Overall I really enjoyed it, and the 20 hours breezed by.
I’m still playing through it but I’m really loving it. The sequel is going to be hot fire. I can only imagine how amazing a refined version of this gameplay will be

Komatsu

I got to say that it makes more sense to play this game with the Male protagonist. Whoever gets to be Akira (the sibling you don't choose) is super chatty and talkative and it's really weird to see Male Akira, who was clearly designed to be a silent moody anime protag go on and on about how "jin-san is very kind, etc. etc.". I started the game with the female protag and had to switch over as it was so out of character it was driving me nuts.

Mista

Banned
I got to say that it makes more sense to play this game with the Male protagonist. Whoever gets to be Akira (the sibling you don't choose) is super chatty and talkative and it's really weird to see Male Akira, who was clearly designed to be a silent moody anime protag go on and on about how "jin-san is very kind, etc. etc.". I started the game with the female protag and had to switch over as it was so out of character it was driving me nuts.
Being a silent protagonist is a dumb decision anyways. This rubbish needs to die next-gen

Flintty

I usually go male in games where I get a choice but I thought I’d be different this time and go female. Seems OK so far but there’s already that nagging feeling I should have just stuck to the norm. I’ll see how it goes.

Loving it so far though it will take a while to get used to the combat. The setting and premise are superb though!

Komatsu

Being a silent protagonist is a dumb decision anyways. This rubbish needs to die next-gen

Akira: "Where are you right now? We're being attacked!"
You: ....
Akira: "Ok, we are on the way"

Man, it's so asinine. By far my least favorite thing about this amazing game.

Arkage

Banned
Game so far is pretty great. Would put it at 85-90 range ATM and I'm not too far in yet. Good mix between combat and exploration.

Is there anything significantly different if you choose M or F protagonist, gameplay or story wise?

If you want to hear your twin sister speak all the time, pick male. If you want to hear your twin male speak all the time, pick female.

Finished up the campaign last night. Fucking awesome game. But man, that final boss felt like a massive difficulty spike from the rest of the game, moreso than other Platinum games. I guess because the rest of the game wasn't particularly difficult, especially once you get the hang of the controls and abilities/skills. Popping Hit Rush and then swapping to another Legion (two Legions out at the same time!), jumping to an enemy and sync-attacking the fucker to death never stopped feeling awesome.

But, I hate to say it: I wish the game was on better hardware. My aforementioned Dual Legion strategy resulted in some quite shitty framerates in many battles. And there was one File (I believe it was File 8?) where the entire thing was sub-30fps... it did not feel good at all.

But I'm still looking forward to playing it again on PT Ultimate or whatever it's called, in spite of the performance issues. I need to take a break and give Control some love. Can't believe this game stole me away from it lol

Last edited:

JohannCK

-The game was originally a middle ages European sword and sorcery thing
-It originally had the player control two summons (= three characters) at the same time, but they toned it down because it was too complex
-Making Max the main characters' father was Kamiya's idea, and gave Taura the inspiration to make them twins
-Nintendo hooked them up with Katsura, and they're fans of his manga (Taura loves Zetman, Kamiya loves Wing-Man)

Flintty

Best thing about this game for me so far is just being a cop. I love it!

Never mind the fact I’m out of uniform. I told myself being dressed all black with a red tie MCR style means I’m spec ops but I stick out from the team like a sore thumb 🙈

Komatsu

I played the game extensively in handheld mode yesterday and the frame rate holds pretty steady throughout.

KàIRóS

Just finished it, I still think DMC5 is my favorite game of the year but Astral Chain is close, really close, I'm having a hard time deciding which 1 has the better combat.

I think I'll replay it until Daemon X Machina comes out.

It gets a 9/10 from me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
After File 9I was like, “yeah this isn’t it.” You have to remember Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising for sure, but you know it’s not it.

RPGCrazied

In chapter 6 with 11 hours. Guess I'm halfway? And where do you get costumes? I seem to have none but a hat and some glasses.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it tonight. Holy cow at how crazy it gets.
imagine if Platinum did other religious stories. I kept imagining someone who got bored during Sunday school and decided to make their own kick ass storyline. Imagine one with the Alpha and the Omega. Haha I received an S on the final battle.

Awesome game, definitely worth it you’re a Switch owner and are fond of the art-style.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How long is the game? Minus not doing all the side missions and all.

Just started File 4 now.

Top Bottom