• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astral Chain |OT| Anime, anime, ANIME COPS!

highrider

Banned
I’ve had some time with this game now and getting the hang of the combat.

Some thoughts.

This is the best looking game I’ve played on Switch. There’s a lot of love and care that went in to this game, and it’s apparent from the very beginning.

This is a more approachable Platinum game, and it’s a lot better off for it. There’s a real story but it still has the kind of quirky qualities that fans of Japanese games love.

The combat has all the earmarks of great action games. Moment to learn, lifetime to master, and it does a good job of not overwhelming the player.

I like the world a lot. This wasn’t just cranked out stock environments, the art direction informs everything and it’s polished.

For me this is the best game I’ve played since Bloodborne which is my game of the generation. It’s a seriously good reason to own a Switch 👍

highrider

Banned
But does it look bad on TV like very other Switch game like some users here claimed? :lollipop_grinning:

It might, I never play on TV. The main reason I got a Switch was not to be tethered to a TV. And to be fair, I’m not a DF watching technical guy. I look at art direction more than anything else.

Found an unlockable IRIS Voice B that is described as a "familiar voice". I'm 99% sure it's 2B.

I think I found it during either File 5 or 6, during the first (or was it second?) stealth section of the game. It's up on the rafters to the right of the room.

But does it look bad on TV like very other Switch game like some users here claimed? :lollipop_grinning:
Bad? Not necessarily. But the low resolution and lack of anti-aliasing, among other technical shortcomings, definitely detracts from the visuals.
That said, they nailed the art style they were aiming for.

Last edited:
That said, they nailed the art style they were aiming for.
When ever a manga artists is hired for videogames, it is always meant to intentionally follow that artist's style. The West is probably more familiar with Akira Toriyama and his Dragon Quest/Dragon Ball aesthetic. But in general manga artists are only given the job because they were suppose to directly port their well known designs over. Why hire them otherwise?

Hence the new Sakura Wars having unmistakable Bleach resemblance. The old Sakura Wars having Ah My Goddess and You Are Under Arrest aesthetic. And so on.

Astral Chain has the women looking exactly the way they look, because that was the look the developers were aiming for. You hire the creator of DNA^2, Shadow Lady, and Videogirl AI for a specific type of look. Anything less is just a waste.

Last edited:
I got the quest where you have to guess the truthful kid correct the first time!

Some cool items you can get if you use the abilities well to traverse across the main towns/cities

I finally put down Fire Emblem to give this a start and omg, I love it! The little touches here and there are so appreciated and the world feels fairly alive, especially when wandering some parts of the city. I really even get a kick out of going to the vending machines. First time, I was just looking and didn’t purchase anything. Machine somewhat snarkily told me, “Thanks for nothing.”

They actually wrote it correctly in Arabic! 😄😆

uW545IM.jpg

1WkPzYr.jpg

On File 6, still having a good time.

Definitely play on Pt Standard, not one of the lower modes. It's fairly easy even then.

Yeah, I agree with the difficulty choice, defo up it and get graded. Starting to see more and more S+ ranks as I go on. I think they are tied to speed more than anything else, or at least it’s a big part of the ranking.

I just finished File 6. This game just ups the ante every step of the way. What an awesome area, especially at the end. 🔥🔥

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This might win GOTY in VGA because it’s too “Japanese” for most of the judges but this at very least this game should win soundtrack of the year!

I’ve had some time with this game now and getting the hang of the combat.

Some thoughts.

This is the best looking game I’ve played on Switch. There’s a lot of love and care that went in to this game, and it’s apparent from the very beginning.

This is a more approachable Platinum game, and it’s a lot better off for it. There’s a real story but it still has the kind of quirky qualities that fans of Japanese games love.

The combat has all the earmarks of great action games. Moment to learn, lifetime to master, and it does a good job of not overwhelming the player.

I like the world a lot. This wasn’t just cranked out stock environments, the art direction informs everything and it’s polished.

For me this is the best game I’ve played since Bloodborne which is my game of the generation. It’s a seriously good reason to own a Switch 👍

Bloodborne, Mario Odyssey and Sunset Overdrive are my favorite games of the generation so that get's my goat. This sounds like it will fit right in. I'll buy the next time I am at my neighborhood Target.

Cha

I gotta say, I was less than pleased with the combat in the beginning. The attacks were really limited, and I was worried that I was gonna be stuck with that stiff and sorry excuse of a dodge/roll. However after "that" moment in File 2, everything became as fluid as water.
Absolutely love the combat now. Still getting to grips with pulling off cool looking combos with the legions abilities, but so far this game is a slick piece of work.
Had to change the button layout to Configuration C though. I need that Y=attack, ZR=dodge feels of Nier:Automata.

Last edited:

Flintty

Problem for me trying to import the European version is too damn expensive!

Should be cheap as ships to get stuff from UK with the current rate. Costs me a lot more to import from the IS now 🤦🏻‍♂️

My CE should have arrived today - hoping to try it out tonight if I get time. Could have done with it today tbh, I’ve spent 6 hours on a train!

cormack12

Gold Member
OK, I played through the intro/tutorial area where I get to summon the entity and have the first few fights. Aside form tying people up, do I actually control the thing fighting? I'm using the right thumbstick and spamming attack and not really sure if it's doing anything of note with the phantom

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
OK, I played through the intro/tutorial area where I get to summon the entity and have the first few fights. Aside form tying people up, do I actually control the thing fighting? I'm using the right thumbstick and spamming attack and not really sure if it's doing anything of note with the phantom

There are commands you can learn for your legions where you control them directly, along with a bunch of different sync attacks (including multi-stage ones), active abilities you can slot up, and some other interesting options specific to each legion.

In the very beginning of the game you don't have access to most of it, so things will seem a little passive. By a few files in, you'll have your hands full, not to worry.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Your rating?

C. I didn't try to complete every side quest, so that hit my overall rating. Got A, S, or S+ on most of the big end game fights though. Combat system really clicked later on when I had enough points to get deep in the upgrade trees on most of the legions.

highrider

Banned
I’m taking my time playing on casual. I’m spending a lot of time trying to master controlling the sword legion. Moving between both seamlessly is still not intuitive to me yet and I find Platinum action games pretty challenging. I could never even touch the difficult settings for Vanquish and I played it a lot. Casual is too easy, I haven’t come close to dying but I’m ok with it for now.

Last edited:
C. I didn't try to complete every side quest, so that hit my overall rating. Got A, S, or S+ on most of the big end game fights though. Combat system really clicked later on when I had enough points to get deep in the upgrade trees on most of the legions.

I've been maxing out Sword. Which stops me using the others, unless required. Did you spread evenly or focus on one Legion.

I have a rank 7 X-Baton and i'm chewing through arenas.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've been maxing out Sword. Which stops me using the others, unless required. Did you spread evenly or focus on one Legion.

I have a rank 7 X-Baton and i'm chewing through arenas.

I focused on Sword until I had points and codes to spread around. There are unique active abilities for each of the legions that are very strong when cycled around during fights (10-30 second cooldowns). Most of the skill trees start out with the same generic chain and sync abilities, though, so you need to get deeper to see the cool ones. You can get an aoe stun, a powerful damage shield, etc.

I focused on Sword until I had points and codes to spread around. There are unique active abilities for each of the legions that are very strong when cycled around during fights (10-30 second cooldowns). Most of the skill trees start out with the same generic chain and sync abilities, though, so you need to get deeper to see the cool ones. You can get an aoe stun, a powerful damage shield, etc.

Sounds good, I have nearly maxed sword, will probably build out the others now. I am only starting file 7. I imagine its not really possible to max all Legions out in 1 play through?

I never really thought about using a Legions buffing abilities then changing them out to use abilities of another Legion while they are cooling. The one technique I can never pull off with success was the swords cut ability to parry incoming attacks. I could never see the attack coming in time.

One other thing that can be a pain, is using Sword to jump ledges, I have unlocked the ability to dash by tapping the thumb stick with Sword out. Trying to finesse him around ledges for him to dart in the other direction is infuriating (along with brushing against geometry). I have to remember to use Arm or something for that.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sounds good, I have nearly maxed sword, will probably build out the others now. I am only starting file 7. I imagine its not really possible to max all Legions out in 1 play through?

I never really thought about using a Legions buffing abilities then changing them out to use abilities of another Legion while they are cooling. The one technique I can never pull off with success was the swords cut ability to parry incoming attacks. I could never see the attack coming in time.

One other thing that can be a pain, is using Sword to jump ledges, I have unlocked the ability to dash by tapping the thumb stick with Sword out. Trying to finesse him around ledges for him to dart in the other direction is infuriating (along with brushing against geometry). I have to remember to use Arm or something for that.

I got one to C9 and the rest to C7, so it's possible to develop them all pretty well.

Not sure what you mean with the ledge jumping? You just move your legion around to the destination you want with zl+r and jump directly to him with zl+zr.

Flintty

Well, my Limited Edition just arrived. Here are some pics from it. The box is way bigger than I thought.

Front:
eOYPdF3.jpg

Back:
vgay2wr.jpg

Inside:
kwMTKWK.jpg

Game, OST & Artbook

E3ODad2.jpg

Glorious. Mine is up in the bedroom - gonna pick my moment to open it. I’ve bought too much gaming stuff lately, not sure how Mrs Flintty is going to react 🤣

I got one to C9 and the rest to C7, so it's possible to develop them all pretty well.

Not sure what you mean with the ledge jumping? You just move your legion around to the destination you want with zl+r and jump directly to him with zl+zr.

When moving my legion with the control stick, sometimes it would randomly dash to the full extension of the chain. It seems too sensitive. Using a pro controller for what that’s worth. It can make trying to line up jumps to small ledges awkward.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
When moving my legion with the control stick, sometimes it would randomly dash to the full extension of the chain. It seems too sensitive. Using a pro controller for what that’s worth. It can make trying to line up jumps to small ledges awkward.

Ah, strange, I didn't have any issues.

hollams

Gold Member
Yep, using the pro controller as well and I have the same issue and it's annoying. I think I have the jump ready and then it switches away quickly and I fall to my death. I thought I might have been too far away from my switch as it's about 15 feet behind me but never had an issue with my other consoles.

Yep, using the pro controller as well and I have the same issue and it's annoying. I think I have the jump ready and then it switches away quickly and I fall to my death. I thought I might have been too far away from my switch as it's about 15 feet behind me but never had an issue with my other consoles.

Yeah, it happens more when you are trying to line up a ledge with the symbol/target under the Legion. When making any small adjustments it wooshes off and you are either falling or having to readjust. I also think it should be a bit more forgiving when Astral Jumping and colliding with a small corner of a wall/object. It should just let it slide and complete the jump or cancel and leave you in a safe state.

Let it be known this is potential GOTY material and I fucking adore this game, but even the Mona Lisa has its flaws.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I meant how much do you give the game out of 10😂

Top Bottom