• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Assasin's Creed Mirage will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 46.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mitch1971

Last AC I played to 100% was Black Flag.

I'll probably have a try of one of the newer ones this holiday. Any tips which to try (I really don't care about story continuity)
If you like black flag then the remaster of AC Rogue is much the same. Playing it at the moment. I love the ship gameplay.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hmmm

"Overall, Assassin's Creed: Mirage is a decent game in the series, but a largely forgettable one. After the dizzying heights of Odyssey and Valhalla, Mirage takes too much of a step back and relies too much on gameplay the series has long moved on from"

Exactly what I thought and said when I first posted in this thread. AC games became better with Odyssey and Valhalla and this kind of regression will net you the MEH reviews you deserve Ubisoft. Thankfully the Odyssey team is on Red and said it'd be a RPG sooooo...

Zuzu

Oof a 6 from Gamespot. They really gotta reboot this franchise (again). Get it on a modern looking engine and do something different. Maybe the Ninja one that's in development (coming out next year?) will get the ball rolling again.

Last edited:
"Overall, Assassin's Creed: Mirage is a decent game in the series, but a largely forgettable one. After the dizzying heights of Odyssey and Valhalla, Mirage takes too much of a step back and relies too much on gameplay the series has long moved on from"
Huh, this seems like a HUGE positive to me.

The bigger the step back from the RPG loser games the better.

The RPG games were ass piled upon ass.

Last edited:

Fake

What do you mean?

Remember that CGI video in the Black Flag opening?

If you have the game (as I do) with the lastest patch installed, thia video get 3~4 seconds censored.
The original video can still be watched on Youtube. In this scene, the main character show up getting up from the bed with naked ladies.

1:14

From the game

Last edited:

mejin

Man, the toxic negativity here is nuts.

I thought we decided that reviewers need to use the “full scale” and 7+ was a good game?

Yep, it's harsh.

But when we know the history of the devs or publishers you can't just say a flagship new title is ok to get such reviews.

People expected more just look at the pool in this very thread.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Huh, this seems like a HUGE positive to me.

The RPG games were ass piled upon ass.
Odyssey is one of my favorite games ever and was my dream AC game for years. Ever since ACII when Ezio finds the statues of the 6 legendary assassins, my dream AC was having a female protagonist in Ancient Greece that could level up, and equip tons of weapons.

And then Odyssey happened. And it was ambrosia to me. Valhalla I will admit was a bit bloated and kind of overlong at 100h of gameplay and that's like before the like 5 DLCs but hey....

GHG

When this inevitably sells poorly hopefully it will shut all the people up who have been crying about wanting AC to "return to it's roots".

They were on the right track with Origins but leaned too hard into the usual open world tropes with the subsequent RPG-lite entries. All they needed to do was tone down the ridiculous amount of map markers and copy-paste locations in favour of a smaller world with more hand crafted elements and they would have been on to a winner.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
When your 13th flagship game scores worse than the last 3 releases...Yeah, that's disappointing.

What i find funny is most of negatives sound like positives to me.
After Origins, Odyssey was ass and Valhalla was fucking food poisoning.....I didnt even bother finishing it......some hours in I realized im not even enjoying myself right now, im just doing this almost like im obligated to.......im too old for this shit, uninstalled the game so im never tempted to open it and give it a chance.

Mirage im all in.

Smiggs

When this inevitably sells poorly hopefully it will shut all the people up who have been crying about wanting AC to "return to it's roots".

They were on the right track with Origins but leaned too hard into the usual open world tropes with the subsequent RPG-lite entries. All they needed to do was tone down the ridiculous amount of map markers and copy-paste locations in favour of a smaller world more hand crafted elements and they would have been on to a winner.
100% this. A balance somewhere between Origins and Odyssey would idea for me. Valhalla, which I really enjoyed, was definitely too bloated. Like... way too bloated :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
When your 13th flagship game scores worse than the last 3 releases...Yeah, that's disappointing.

It's not a "flagship game".

It started as DLC for Valhalla, got spun off into its own game. Smaller game, smaller dev team, smaller budget. Lower sales price. All of this was mentioned numerous times in interviews. Ubi couldn't have been more clear about what this is and what it isn't.

Zuzu

"Almost Perfect" ?! come on now... this should be rock solid 60

I agree. The game is quite last gen-ish in its visuals. It shouldn't be that hard to run. PS5 version looks pretty solid though. Hopefully they will fix frame drops and screen tearing in the vertical panning camera movement. That's not acceptable.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Eurogamer review is high praises, escpecially compared to the more mixed ones from other outlets.

The city seems to be worth it, while gameplay appears lacking.

Zuzu

Again with the screen tearing on both consoles. Need to see some PC performance results.

Yeah they need to fix that (& the frame drops) on both versions. Not acceptable to have it dropping frames like that just because the player is panning the camera vertically.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviewing pretty much as I expected. A tighter AC experience after the incredible slog fest that was Valhalla is a great improvement IMO.

phant0m

Yep, it's harsh.

But when we know the history of the devs or publishers you can't just say a flagship new title is ok to get such reviews.

People expected more just look at the pool in this very thread.

But it’s not a flagship, and has been explicitly marketed as a smaller, more focused title with a budget price. And it’s really not far off from the poll. The difference between 77 and say, 81 really isn’t the gigantic gulf this thread is among it out to be.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's not a "flagship game".

It started as DLC for Valhalla, got spun off into its own game. Smaller game, smaller dev team, smaller budget. Lower sales price. All of this was mentioned numerous times in interviews. Ubi couldn't have been more clear about what this is and what it isn't.
Oh I know that. But they decided to take a DLC and make it into the new big release in the franchise. Same thing for RE3 Remake that was supposed to be RE2 DLC but got released as a full blown game.

john2gr

Again with the screen tearing on both consoles. Need to see some PC performance results.

Works great if you have a mid-tier/high-end PC. The game has some traversal stutters but apart from that, it runs smoothly.

bQDVsrD.jpg

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I dont care about most of the criticism that ive seen thrown around except the ones about the story not being great. :(

I might keep my preorder still.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
uF5Nn46.jpg

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

Gamefly da real OG shipping it out a day before retail, hopefully I have it by Friday.

Stafford

Hmmm

Exactly what I thought and said when I first posted in this thread. AC games became better with Odyssey and Valhalla and this kind of regression will net you the MEH reviews you deserve Ubisoft. Thankfully the Odyssey team is on Red and said it'd be a RPG sooooo...

Red is the one taking place in Japan?

Regginator

What in the Square-Enix executives is this bullshit.

78 disappointing?

If anything it's your post that reads like executive coping, lol. Mirage was hailed to be and marketed as the great return to the core of Assassin's Creed. Without all the bloat, without all that open-world nonsense, good ol' fashioned AC. Instead it's the second-worst reviewed mainline AC game of all time, only barely beating Syndicate.

In what universe (outside of your own mind) is this not disappointing?

graywolf323

AC Valhalla scored an 80. I don't get the concern over 2 points.
huh? Valhalla is at 83 on Open Critic that I see - https://opencritic.com/game/9439/assassins-creed-valhalla

and Mirage is currently sitting at 76 (https://opencritic.com/game/15005/assassins-creed-mirage), that’s a negative 7 point differential not 2

I was on the fence about getting it at launch or not (because there’s so much else coming out this fall) and reviews have pushed me to wait for the usual Ubisoft sales, maybe at Christmas if it goes to 50% off already by then 🤔

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Red is the one taking place in Japan?
Yup. Now that one I know will be right up my alley. I truly hope that the two protags play completely differently from each other though. Make the samurai more straight on assault style, while the kunoichi can be the stealthy type. Something like that.

Topher

Gold Member
huh? Valhalla is at 83 on Open Critic that I see - https://opencritic.com/game/9439/assassins-creed-valhalla

and Mirage is currently sitting at 76, that’s a negative 7 point differential not 2

I was on the fence about getting it at launch or not (because there’s so much else coming out this fall) and reviews have pushed me to wait for the usual Ubisoft sales, maybe at Christmas if it goes to 50% off already by then 🤔

Metacritic is 80

Obama Reaction GIF

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It literally takes two seconds to check

7xSiAWe.png
You just....went and took time to take a screencap of Metacritic while the discussion was about Opencritic. Incredible.

And what's funnier is that the two point difference argument is still wrong. Mirage is at 77 lol. 3 points!

Top Bottom