• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a PlayStation player, I feel concerned about the future

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If a company doesn't blow their load in one showing it means they have other shows to cover the breath of stuff they're working on.
Blow their load?
Playstation has been limp since the PS5 launched.
With the exception of TLOUPT1 & H:COTM
Their lineup is mostly made up of what they announced at the Playstation Meeting in 2020, Ports that they're porting to PC and 3rd Party Exclusives mainly from Square Enix
3yIZgZ7.jpg

They ain't bust a nut in long time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Crazy how we have two big Final Fantasy games coming out this year and yet it’s another “Sony has nothing”. If you think about it, years ago, getting just 1 Final Fantasy game meant PS won everything. GaaS being shown fits the mantra of the industry. It’s the aftermath, what they thought was going to take over. If these fail then they might not invest so much in GaaS. I can’t imagine all these GaaS sticking around. Gamers like to drop games just as fast as they pick them up.

FeralEcho

nah, we just being realistic here.
How so,how Is not blasting a company for abandoning what made them great in the first place and focusing on garbage GAAS shit like EVERYONE else in the industry îs doing "being realistic" here? Do you guys seriously want to follow the Microsoft fanbase motto of "don't worry be happy" until the guy in charge literally comes out and tells you to fuck off cuz great games don't matter anyway? Fans SHOULD Voice their opinions as soon as possible instead of waiting until its too late.

How can you all not voice your opinions loudly when for 2 whole years they've been absent or had shit communication and on their first big show outside of Japanesse 3rd parties(Sony needs to literally eat Capcom's ass for how much they helped their garbage show) all they had to show was a mediocre Spidey 2 showcase and GAAS garbage after GAAS garbage which all looked the same.

Neff

Two things have happened. Firstly, you're no longer the target audience. GaaS shooters and their like are, for better or worse, here to stay. Secondly, the big budget cinematic games which are your bread and butter as a PlayStation fan take forever to make now. They require a truly mind-boggling amount of money and man-power. You'll still get your God of Wars and your Death Strandings, they'll just be happening with less frequency than you're used to as time goes on.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Blow their load?
Their lineup is mostly made up of what they announced at the Playstation Meeting in 2020, Ports that they're porting to PC and 3rd Party Exclusives mainly from Square Enix
3yIZgZ7.jpg

They've always had multiple shows and events to announce their work throughout the years.

They had a less than stellar showing at this streaming show the other day and some kind of panic is supposed to be exhibited?

They've been pretty much on top of their game for a while.

TGO

They've always had multiple shows and events to announce their work throughout the years.

They had a less than stellar showing at this streaming show the other day and some kind of panic is supposed to be exhibited?

They've been pretty much on top of their game for a while.
Again, you're talking as if they had a Showcase last year.
The concerns are justified.
You don't go M.I.A for 2 years and have nadda to show for it.
They probably wouldn't have got backlash if they had a show last year and announced something.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Again, you're talking as if they had a Showcase last year.
The concerns are justified.
You don't go M.I.A for 2 years and have nadda to show for it.
They probably wouldn't have got backlash if they had a show last year and announced something.
Go and be concerned if you want, it's your right to be. The show wasn't legendary.

You know what? We got sleep and woke up and the world goes round. It's going to be ok.

TGO

Go and be concerned if you want, it's your right to be. The show wasn't legendary.

You know what? We got sleep and woke up and the world goes round. It's going to be ok.
Outside of the random artsy indie game trailers the show was okay.
But it was a major disappointment from a 1st party perspective given the circumstances of the lack of anything from Sony for over a year now, they should have had something, that's all people are saying.
I'm not worried that Playstation owners don't have anything to play because 3rd party support is great.
It's just poor showing from Playstation Studios in a time they do need to be pulling up their socks.
If they announce just ONE game and maybe secured MGS∆ as an Exclusive.
We'd be having a different conversation.
Do you understand where I'm coming from?
I may sound a bit more annoyed because (and people know this) I said this was gonna happen.
And it did.
People want to know what Sony has been doing for all this time and they showed practically nothing.
So yeah people are rightly so angry at them.

I never find these kinds of events particularly interesting.

For me, you have to take a look at things holistically, and not just as isolated incidents.

Ask yourself this, by the time all these games come out, and they are added to all the other games available, is there enough good stuff to play?

For me, absolutely.

Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, HZW, The Last of Us series, Ghost of Tsushima, GT7, Days Gone, Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls, Spiderman and the sequel, plus, Miles Morales.

That's just a few examples, and all will be available and all with enhanced or exclusive PS5 versions.

Does the competition, meaning Xbox consoles, have anything to compare?

I say no, not even close.

MiguelItUp

After this showcase, I feel like PlayStation’s communication is becoming dangerously bad.

Is PlayStation out of touch with their core fan base?

-The Gaas push
-The cloud handheld
-Generic looking games i.e Haven’s own Redfall.
- the over reliance on CGI trailers.
- Lack of first party games during a PS showcase.

What the hell Sony?

What happened to the PlayStation that gave us E3 2016 or 2020’s PlayStation showcase?

Why aren’t they communicating with their fans?
Yes the console is selling well, but you can’t stay silent for almost 2 years and then offer us this mediocre showcase. stay focused on what made you successful in the first place.

I hope that all those generic looking Gaas games fail.

And that cloud handheld of yours, it will be dead on arrival.

And Jade Raymond will be out of a job in a year or two
I think Sony will be more than just fine, honestly. I don't think this is anything to be "concerned" about, if anything, maybe a little disappointed, but that's it IMO.

The GaaS push isn't just a Sony thing, it's a modern gaming thing, unfortunately. So, everyone is trying to get a slice of that pie. It's not just on Sony.

The cloud handheld to me is a huge question mark because Remote Play stands so well on its own merits that as a PS4/5 feature it SHOULD be used. I guess SOME people will use this handheld and are excited about it, but I feel like this isn't the way. It's just combining a screen with a Dual Sense, which, people can already do with a phone, tablet, laptop, or PC.

Generic looking games are unfortunately going to happen from time to time, it's just the nature of the industry. Not much else to say there.

Same thing can be said about CG trailers, we've been seeing them for YEARS, even for reveals so it's nothing really new. What I find ridiculous is being shown CG trailers that don't even give a peek of what to expect in terms of gameplay. There were so many that literally showed NOTHING. That Concord game was a great example. I don't understand why devs/pubs think this is a great idea, reading details about the game gives more than the trailer did, lol. But yeah, this isn't just a Sony issue.

What IS a Sony issue is the lack of first party titles in that entire presentation which was extremely bizarre, and a lot of people feel the same way. Sure, some people hyped this show, but really, they had every reason to. We haven't had this kind of show in 2 years, so people had expectations. But those expectations weren't met, and this just felt like a longer State of Play.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Blow their load?
3yIZgZ7.jpg

This is a pretty dope list tbh, not even counting things like Kena, Tchia, Sifu, Burning Shores, Stray and a solid subscription service for those that want it.

People worried about Gaas, we don't even know what the GaaS games look like, its also primarily being made by their secondary studios. The studios that traditionally make our beloved games are still in the AAA space. Like Insomniac, ND, SSM, Sucker Punch, they aren't abandoning SP games. Third party stuff is better than ever with Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronan, newly announced Project whatever (looks fire), FF etc.

This is all not even factoring in regular third party games. Its impossible to play 10% of the stuff you want. I think PS fans should be the least worried out of the big three.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Always that one person. Can't handle that their favorite console company had a lackluster showcase, so they deflect by wishing the competitions big game to fail.

After all the gaas 🌈 neon diarrhea that sony vomited on me I truly wish that MS comes guns blazing with 1st party SP games to fill their 2023/2024 quotas .. I have ZERO faith in Phil and his team.. but oh boy would be a good time to be wrong and send a fuck you to this gaas push

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It could backfire if those games are simply following the same formula as what everyone else is doing. (competing with third party)

Just because there's a chance that some of these games will fail, that doesn't mean they should stop making GaaS games.

They're making multiplayer games based on existing IPs.
- The Last of Us.
- Twisted Metal.
- Killzone (rumored FPS)
- Horizon.

And then you have completely new IPs
- FairGames
- Concord

The Last of Us already has an established fanbase and a lot of fans who didn't really play the multiplayer are looking forward to this game. This has the highest chance of succeeding.

The others are op in the air. If 3-4 are successful, then their investment would be well worth it.

Top Bottom