• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a PlayStation player, I feel concerned about the future

solidus12

After this showcase, I feel like PlayStation’s communication is becoming dangerously bad.

Is PlayStation out of touch with their core fan base?

-The Gaas push
-The cloud handheld
-Generic looking games i.e Haven’s own Redfall.
- the over reliance on CGI trailers.
- Lack of first party games during a PS showcase.

What the hell Sony?

What happened to the PlayStation that gave us E3 2016 or 2020’s PlayStation showcase?

Why aren’t they communicating with their fans?
Yes the console is selling well, but you can’t stay silent for almost 2 years and then offer us this mediocre showcase. stay focused on what made you successful in the first place.

I hope that all those generic looking Gaas games fail.

And that cloud handheld of yours, it will be dead on arrival.

And Jade Raymond will be out of a job in a year or two

Last edited:

Kupfer

These questions were all running through my mind yesterday too. Especially with the first titles, three of which could have been one game in terms of artstyle and feeling. It continued with Fortnite contenders and a strange remote play device, practically a tablet with controllers that apparently won't even render games natively.

Then I realised that I'm just an old fuck for Sony and probably no longer belong to the core target group. The money is in GaaS because young people seem to like it, also cloud and subscription models. Young folks probably don't even know the PSP no more.

There was little or nothing interesting for me. The game Abzu/Journey looks charming and Phantom Blade was also quite interesting.

Last edited:

solidus12

I feel like they are following Microsoft example that is chasing trends instead of focusing on their strengths.

I miss when Shawn Layden said that just because games as a service are a popular trend, it doesn’t mean that PlayStation will chase it.

Today we have witnessed the fruit of the Hermen/Jim Ryan era…

Mr.ODST

I miss when Shawn Layden said that just because games as a service are a popular trend, it doesn’t mean that PlayStation will chase it.

Today we have witnessed the fruit of the Hermen/Jim Ryan era…

Its because GAAS makes absolute bank if it hits well, it also dampens the cost of making the game and it failing as people would of spend money in the IGS.

ThisIsMyDog

I just wanted to see:

sony-interactive-entertainment-presents.large.jpg

and then

"PS5 Exclusive"

And then game that looks freaking cool and was quite big surprise.

THERE WASN'T EVEN ONE. AFTER TWO YEARS. WTF SONY.

PeteBull

All ur concerns are valid @Op , just we dont have stupid gamepass here on playstation, we can simply vote with our wallets, all that terrible gaas stuff gonna bomb hard, quality games (few of them were showed there, not many but few) will review and sell well and make a solid buck, and balance in nature will be uphold.

Jim Ryan is here to stay, this fucker selling ps5 faster than ps4 was selling, at 0 price reductions(hell in europe we even got price bump lol;P).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
After this showcase, I feel like PlayStation’s communication is becoming dangerously bad.

Is PlayStation out of touch with their core fan base?

-The Gaas push
-The cloud handheld
-Generic looking games i.e Haven’s own Redfall.
- the over reliance on CGI trailers.
- Lack of first party games during a PS showcase.

What the hell Sony?

What happened to the PlayStation that gave us E3 2016 or 2020’s PlayStation showcase?

Why aren’t they communicating with their fans?
Yes the console is selling well, but you can’t stay silent for almost 2 years and then offer us this mediocre showcase. stay focused on what made you successful in the first place.

I hope that all those generic looking Gaas games fail.

And that cloud handheld of yours, it will be dead on arrival.

And Jade Raymond will be out of a job in a year or two

It's all due to

Jim-Ryan-1.jpg

THIS DUDE JUST SUCKS!!!!! I'm starting to wonder if his start as the CEO of Playstation in 2019 is starting to show. I think me and others were incorrect to give him credit for the last 4 years. Most of that stuff was already in the oven when he took over.

This is Jim Ryan's Playstation now and he SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm scared for the next 5 years of Playstation. Because even if he gets fired tomorrow, we are stuck with Jim's vision for the next 4 to 5 years. :(

ThisIsMyDog

E3 is dead and Sony could care less what a forum poster from neogaf thinks about the company.

They are releasing content for the console, that’s all that matters to me.
Oh no, big corpos do not care about niche gaming forum, tell us more with your superior intelligence.

Maybe there should also be a ban on gaming forums for discussing games because, after all, the developers don't give a shit about us anyway.

free thinkers of the world unite!

mrmustard

Banned
I feel like they are following Microsoft example that is chasing trends instead of focusing on their strengths.
And they have to. Right now they dominate at will. But it would be negligent not to set up for the future, no matter if it becomes a success or not. If it fails they are still in a much better position than Microsoft and if not they are armed and ready.

Only focusing on your strengths for too long can become your weakness.

Last edited:
All ur concerns are valid @Op , just we dont have stupid gamepass here on playstation, we can simply vote with our wallets, all that terrible gaas stuff gonna bomb hard, quality games (few of them were showed there, not many but few) will review and sell well and make a solid buck, and balance in nature will be uphold.

Jim Ryan is here to stay, this fucker selling ps5 faster than ps4 was selling, at 0 price reductions(hell in europe we even got price bump lol;P).

Never thought of this but your right. If games brought them success than it will be games that will be their downfall. Once they see the trends of what works or not they will change their output. They still are focused on selling games at full price. If they focused on something else (MAUs for example) then that would be terrible for us.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Don’t worry lads Nintendo is ready to restart the games business should it crash. They’ve done it before they will do it again.

Pedro Pascal Mario GIF

I did watch a bit of the presentation and we’ll it was trying to look too slick etc games are meant to be fun. Sony tried to over polish the show so much it took the soul out of things.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Well..Sony’s showcase was pretty disappointing, they even ruined the MGS3 remake (at least for me). On the other hand we did not see what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica is working on.

This time the showcase was not relevant to me because I’m an old gamer by todays standards. Maybe next showcase will be.

Who knows, for now only Nintendo seems to understand my taste.

I was really bummed about the showcase. No suprise announcements except for MGS 3 which is multiplatform.
I was hoping for an uncharted 5, maybe a ff7-2 trailer, maybe a Heavenly Sword 2, 1886-2, Ghost of Tsushima 2, a new AAA single player game??

SeraphJan

It could get successful though.

I am strongly considering getting a ps5 and support the shit out of their GAAS games and remakes.
Everything is possible, the market is unpredictable

However if GaaS is what they are focusing, then I'll just spend more time playing third party games, what we lack are not games to play, but time.

Skifi28

Sony for a while now focuses all their marketing on the next big release. With FF and Spiderman on the horizon, there was no way they would show anything to steal their thunder.

Always crazy high expectations before a state of play and then disappointment. Why do you do this to yourselves? I was just happy to see some dragon's dogma 2 in action.

Shane89

This post is no sense.
Everyone know they have their first party studios working on several titles.... so what's the problem? PSS was sh!t (i have interest in only few titles), and I agree on that, but this will not cancel THE FACT that their first party studios are working on titles.

The Shepard

2016 and 2020 were 4 years apart so 2024 will be the next year.. Yea was disappointing but I'm guessing there going to show us what releases the current tax year its shown from now on from themselves. We got FF16 and spiderman incoming so not really xbox bad just yet.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony for a while now focuses all their marketing on the next big release. With FF and Spiderman on the horizon, there was no way they would show anything to steal their thunder.

Always crazy high expectations before a state of play and then disappointment. Why do you do this to yourselves? I was just happy to see some dragon's dogma 2 in action.

This is Jimbo's Playstation. Old PS didn't use to think like this. Jimbo hates advertising for stuff that you can't buy for a year. I seriously hate that dude.

StueyDuck

This really did feel like a MS ass showcase with nothing to grip onto. Mostly cg and no hype games.

To be fair MGS3 leak hurt that reveal

But we do need to stop the whole. One thing happened so now the entire world of gaming is on fire 🤣

It was just a shit showcase and they need to do better next time. MS has been doing these sorts of showcases since like 2015 and they're still around. Gaming will remain totally the same and fine after last night's showcase

Neolombax

I dont feel concerned at all as a Playstation player. The games looked good, there seems to be quite a variety of it. We have FF16 and Spiderman 2 at least for this year. Helldivers could turn out to be quite the hit, I loved their previous game. Not too concerned about games being multiplatform, they're still games I can enjoy. As someone has said here, it could just be the case where the games aren't ready for a showing, or it could be there's no reason to show them for now.

My only take was the surprise of CGI (not actual gameplay) trailers. It was a bit baffling that so many announcements were like that as if it was the reveal of the PS3 all over again. It sucked but I dont see any doom and gllom as if Playstation brand is dying or whatever. Yes I care about exclusives but there is a shit ton of thrid party I dont even have time to finish them let alone start more new games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom