• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ok with the Xbox Series S losing its parity agreements?

Are you okay with series s losing parity?

• Yes

Votes: 236 63.6%
  • Non

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Should be discontinued ( but still supported)

Votes: 76 20.5%

• Total voters

drotahorror

As an owner of a series S, I think they get rid of the parity clause. Hell just pretend they’re 2 systems

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
I've always hated the idea of having the strongest console while also having the weakest console at the same time. I've always hated the Series S.

svbarnard

Banned
As an owner of a series S, I think they get rid of the parity clause. Hell just pretend they’re 2 systems
I hope someone sues Microsoft over this to be honest because Microsoft said the only difference would be resolution. Personally I have always hated the Series S.

Microsoft: Yes we have the most powerful console this generation, but we will also have the weakest console as well.

Pilgrimzero

Could not care less. Bought to play X-Box exclusives on the cheap and Retro games (which it does the latter in spades).

Heck, I've played more 360 and earlier games on it then anything else.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Its a necessary evil, but it fucks over the largest install base for the XS consoles.

I again dont see it being anything other than a case by case basis.

Forsythia

I'm fine with it because I own a Series X and don't want to miss out on games due to the inferior console not being able to run a game.

Aenima

Wheres the should never had happened in the 1st place?

On paper the idea of having a low budget console was good, but the idea of having 2 consoles with diferent hardware was always terrible for the developers. And now Players are getting a taste of it as well with games being delayed. They should have gone the Sony path of having 2 consoles with the same hardware, just cutting some stuff like physical drive to sell it for a bit cheaper.

Discontinuing the S now would probably generate alot of backlash from the Series S users, so droping the mandatory parity in feautures seems the most sensible way to deal with the mess Phil Spencer created. If Series S already have games running at much lower framerates, resolution and is missing ray-tracing in some games, i dont see a problem in leaving something like split screen out too. Like they say, "You get what you pay for".

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
It's all a shit show. I like the concept of a 1080p machine but obviously they compromised a bit too much to get there.

JaksGhost

The S never really had “parity” anyway..

The narrative is that this is just the beginning and by mid 2024 the xss won’t be able to run a single game.
It's not about running games it's about having the same game modes across all versions. Take for example the arcade and console versions of Street Fighter vs X-Men, in the arcade version you can actively switch between characters during matches while on consoles at the time it wasn't possible changing the dynamic of the game drastically. Now apply that to Series S and Series X and that's when you lose parity. Image quality and frame rate doesn't apply here because regardless if a game is 30fps or 60fps, 4K or qHD, you're still getting the same game with all modes intact.

Imagine booting up a fighting game on Series X and the modes included:
Single Player
Vs. 1x1
Vs. 2x2
Training

Now boot that same game up on Series S and you see:
Single Player
Vs. 1x1
Training

That consumer paid the same price for a game with less modes.

Fine with me. The Series S was always a much weaker less capable system in the first place. Forcing devs to gimp a Series X version of a game for parity was rubbish.

I have a Series X, and so am totally unaffected by it.
If it loses split screen, I'm sure the 10 people who like playing split screen might well be upset.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Anyone who says they are fine with this, doesn't have an XSS. Anyone that says its the best thing to do? Doesn't have an XSS.

Its one thing to run a game at different resolutions or quality settings, getting a different game is not the same thing. And I don't know what's going on in this forum that its somehow deemed as acceptable.

At this rate, we start having games that have the entire MP component taken out of the XSX version and only the campaign being there. If the price for the XSS version was different, then that would be a different matter.
It’s split screen. Put it into perspective.

What do you want them to do? Obviously their engineers told them it wasn’t going to be possible within any realistic timeframe. Imagine the message it sends out if they don’t put a potential GOTY blockbuster on their platform.

“We are deliberately putting out inferior game versions than our competition.”

That’s what it says. That’s game over and a much worse look than the other direction. Is it shitty they are doing this to Series S owners? Absolutely. Is it a deal breaker for many of them? Doubt it.

Microsoft made a mistake and they know it. This won’t be the first game either that this happens to.

twilo99

So far, if you happened to purchase this low cost machine, you can and will be able to play some pretty big games..

Halo Infinite
Forza Motorsport
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Starfield
BG3 (no split screen at launch)

Now, if it wasn’t for Microsoft decision to produce a budget option, these games will be out of reach for a lot of people who simply can’t afford the more expensive consoles.

How difficult is this to understand and recognize as a positive?

Last edited:

That song is the cornerstone of the king of all entrances in Rocky IV.

P.S. Ironically, if Series S loses parity outside of local co-op and MS fails to update its backwards compatability catalogue, many will probably upgrade to PC and Series X owners will be the ones getting the shaft...

Last edited:
Pretty funny considering Series S is most likely the larger install base. So, you're screwing over the larger install base.

Xbox fans won't admit it, and instead praise MS for a bad policy and then also praise them for doing a 180 on said bad policy, but MS screwed themselves this gen with the 2 tier systems. PS is, once again, going to outsell them 2+:1. I guess if Xbox fans would criticize them every now and again, like I see PlayStation and Nintendo fans doing for their respective parent companies, they'd actually have a shot at succeeding. Instead, it's shill, baby shill.

ToadMan

Assuming series S owners pay less for the titles... Or the GP sub anyway.

MS sold a next gen gimped console that was supposed to offer the same experience as the more powerful console.

It now won't offer the same experience going forward. So those titles shouldn't be the same price on S.

I think if this is a change of policy across the board, MS should just offer a minimal cost trade in of series s for x.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah it should remain neglected and an afterthought instead of crippling the whole gen. Otherwise PS5 gonna enjoy more free exclusives.

Elysium44

Banned
So far, if you happened to purchase this low cost machine, you can and will be able to play some pretty big games..

Halo Infinite
Forza Motorsport
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Starfield
BG3 (no split screen at launch)

Now, if it wasn’t for Microsoft decision to produce a budget option, these games will be out of reach for a lot of people who simply can’t afford the more expensive consoles.

How difficult is this to understand and recognize as a positive?

And if it had been sold that way from the outset, there would be no problem. However, it was sold as being a level playing field with the Series X, the ONLY difference would be it would run at a lower resolution.

It is a bait and switch. It is not fair to say 'Customers should have known better! They had no right to expect Microsoft to be telling the truth!' That's gaslighting. When the Xbox leadership are telling you unequivocally that Series S is just as good as Series X, no compromises except it's a 1080p machine, not a 4K machine, then they MUST keep to that promise OR unequivocally apologise and offer compensation of some kind. Also games for Series S should be cheaper than Series X. Microsoft opened this whole can of worms themselves, the customer didn't.

Most Xbox customers this gen are on Series S only. It isn't a small minority who will be brushed aside. Microsoft needs to make amends.

Last edited:

skit_data

This interview with Phil Spencer from VGC leaves me baffled tbh:
“I don’t see a world where we drop S. In terms of parity, I don’t think you’ve heard from us or Larian, that this was about parity. I think that’s more that the community is talking about it. There are features that ship on X today that do not ship on S, even from our own games, like ray-tracing that works on X, it’s not on S in certain games. So for an S customer, they spent roughly half what the X customer bought, they understand that it’s not going to run the same way.

If it isn't about some kind of feature parity then what is it?
Him going down the road of "Well, they should've known" is... quite something. Almost justifies anything when he puts it that way, like dropping the console support mid gen because "Well, you only payed half the price".

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm okay with considered case by case exceptions, yes. But I think dropping S support as a requirement altogether would be a mistake, S has become a huge part of the market and rightly so.

radewagon

It's pretty awful to be honest. The whole promise of S was that you would get essentially the same content but at a reduced quality. By breaking this promise, they are opening the floodgates. What will be okay to axe next time? And the time after that. And after that. We all know that the hype surrounding games will focus on a version with a full feature set, so people getting excited about a new release may end up bait-and-switched by simply having the less expensive console. It's a jerk move.

The only way I think this would be somewhat okay is if MS promised to put huge warning labels explicitly stating what content would be inaccessible on the S console. Otherwise, they are misrepresenting the games being released.

But that doesn't fix the bigger problem of them simply disregarding the mission statement of the Series S and what it it promised to offer gamers that purchased it. This is certainly not a one-off situation and will only get worse as time progresses. It's pretty shameless and if it continues to get worse, I could easily see a class-action coming their way. And they'd deserve it.

twilo99

And if it had been sold that way from the outset, there would be no problem. However, it was sold as being a level playing field with the Series X, the ONLY difference would be it would run at a lower resolution.

Up until now visuals have been the only difference and if they manage to add split screen at some point that will continue to be the case I guess.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Bloody hell, this thread.

One game.

One split screen option on that game is removed.

Gimped!

Sue them!

Series S owners: I don't care.

Phil Spencer must die!

If you think this isn't worse than [insert your choice] then you're a shill!

I'm not saying it's definitely console warriors trying to get excited about this, but it seems like people who actually have a Series S mostly don't seem to care. They can't all be paid shills.

Last edited:

twilo99

People that bathe in money cannot understand this. They simply want the best experience for themselves, to hell people that have a small income.

It’s a shitty attitude.

The xss is 40% cheaper than the more expensive boxes and it provides, for the most part, the same level of entertainment.

Elysium44

Banned
Bloody hell, this thread.

One game.

One split screen option on that game is removed.

Gimped!

Sue them!

Series S owners: I don't care.

Phil Spencer must die!

If you think this isn't worse than [insert your choice] then you're a shill!

I'm not saying it's definitely console warriors trying to get excited about this, but it seems like people who actually have a Series S mostly don't seem to care. They can't all be paid shills.

I have a Series S FWIW. You're right it's one game so far, and not one I was interested in anyway but that isn't the point, is it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have a Series S FWIW. You're right it's one game so far, and not one I was interested in anyway but that isn't the point, is it.
Well, it is the point.

It's one game, you're another Series S owner who doesn't care, and there's nothing on the horizon to suggest that Series S is being dropped, won't have feature parity or that Microsoft will be forced to give all Series S owners a Series X. On here, in console war central, sure, those things are suggested as quite likely, and worth making another Xbox/Series S concern thread about, but really everyone ought to be getting over this stuff by now.

Elysium44

Banned
Well, it is the point.

It's one game, you're another Series S owner who doesn't care, and there's nothing on the horizon to suggest that Series S is being dropped, won't have feature parity or that Microsoft will be forced to give all Series S owners a Series X. On here, in console war central, sure, those things are suggested as quite likely, and worth making another Xbox/Series S concern thread about, but really everyone ought to be getting over this stuff by now.

Time will tell if this is a one-off exception or the thin end of the wedge and the start of a new trend. It is logical to suspect it will be the latter but we'll see. I mean I'm not going to lose sleep over it either way, I have more important things going on in my life but I still think they shouldn't be let off the hook easily for yet again overpromising and under-delivering.

Top Bottom