• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ok with the Xbox Series S losing its parity agreements?

Are you okay with series s losing parity?

• Yes

Votes: 236 63.6%
  • Non

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Should be discontinued ( but still supported)

Votes: 76 20.5%

• Total voters

AngelMuffin

I suspect a lot of people don't own something they don't like but don't like it holding back/delaying games on the console they own, like the XSX. Nothing wrong with voting yes in that case even if you're not a masochist buying an S you don't like.
If you own a SX then of course one would vote “yes”. That doesn’t tell me anything. The only thing of interest here is what Series S owners think about losing features, etc., when this wasn’t supposed to be the case and sold as such.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, at the risk of getting banned...

Seems pretty clear that they say "4k gaming" and then "up to 8k high dynamic range" It seems pretty clear to me that the latter must surely only be relevant to video playback. Slightly ridiculous given the lack of 8k sources and the tiny, tiny percentage of 8k tvs out there.

Under any normal circumstance, nobody would pay any attention. Of course in console war land, it's very important. As is ignoring that loads of games don't manage to hit 4k on PS5/Series X - nobody's talking about a law suit there.

What we can however glean is that these consoles can work with 8k resolutions, as long as the visuals are of a particular style. Breakout, Frogger, Space Invaders, all possible at 8k. Well done everyone!

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
The S is the biggest scam in the industry right now.
I think lawsuits are imminent. End result will be MS having to give S owners an X or credit towards an X.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think that cementing the Series S as a second class dumping ground is a bad look for MS, and a bad way to treat the people who bought the system. I honestly think it's a mistake and I am surprised they did it.

I had the Xbox One and hated it, it was a POS, but to MS' credit they held the line on it way longer than maybe they should have.

Last edited:

scydrex

Xbox fanbase accept Microsoft lying to them on a regular basis.

If anything they'll deposit money into Phil Spencers bank account for this gratious act.
So MS fans accept MS liying about parity and 8k. But Sony is wrong liying about 8k? Ok...

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
if I had a Series S I think I’d likely be more annoyed but I got a Series X because anyone with a brain saw this was going to happen eventually

did you screenshot a post that the mods appear to have deleted from what looks likely to be an alt? 🤨 really living up to your tag there…
I screenshoted a post from a bait thread made by OP, that was deleted by mods.

Last edited:
You've got to be kidding me with this shit, that APU picture was tweeted out by none other than Phil Spencer himself prior to launch.

Just stop this shit. If you still think 8K wasn't advertised by MS for scarlett take a look at this too:

It's OK to admit MS marketed 8K too you know. You don't need to let your fanboy tendencies cloud your judgment.

Both have advertised 8K and both have it on the box.

That's all that matters. People acting like one
Wonder how many of those that voted “yes” actually own a Series S?

I actually don't. But I think it's better that Xbox gamers get games at the same time as PlayStation gamers do. Its better for consumers and the devs.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I suspect a lot of people don't own something they don't like but don't like it holding back/delaying games on the console they own, like the XSX. Nothing wrong with voting yes in that case even if you're not a masochist buying an S you don't like.
On behalf of all Series X owners, we don't care at all.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
kill it gtfo GIF by South Park

DaGwaphics

So far, I'm not seeing any evidence that anything has been massively changed regarding the agreements in place (seems to mostly be fanboy nonsense there). What we do have is evidence that one game got waved through at MS's discretion.

Yes, absolutely. The Series S is a good deal but it's very limited in terms of raw resources that it can throw at games. You'll get bang for your buck but you have to appreciate that it just cannot do what the Series X can.

If you're buying any kind of tech then you should do some research before you pull the trigger. If you do research then you'll soon find that these consoles are wildly different in terms of power and have very different specs. If you buy a Series S expecting it to do everything the X can but at a lower resolution for the full generation cycle, Microsoft have absolutely fooled you.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really give a shit, but if it potentially allows XSX and PS5 games to do stuff they couldn't when the S was holding them back, great.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think one thing thats overlooked is the Series S isnt used as the baseline for multi platform development. Which IMO is a good thing. I hope not at least.

That said, as long as it isnt used as the base line for 3rd parties, I dont really care what MS does.

First party Xbox games is interesting to say the least.

The Series X box says 8K on the back. The PS5 box says it in the front.

You mean this?

Both are doing this. Doesn't make it correct in either case though.
The 8K boogyman is one of the weirdest things I've seen.

Since its on the back of the Series X box its fine.. Madness

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Its literally an engineering sample. Where is this used in marketing material, please? its been scored in by a compass or something. How can a prototype image be getting used by fanboys to try and make a point..... :/

The go to press APUs do not have this 8K on it. That's what matters.

Xbox fans known so little about their own console. It's even on the package on the back....

I think one thing thats overlooked is the Series S isnt used as the baseline for multi platform development. Which IMO is a good thing.

That said, as long as it isnt used as the base line for 3rd parties, I dont really care what MS does.

First party games is interesting to say the least.

The 8K boogyman is one of the weirdest things I've seen.

Since its on the back of the Series X box its fine..

For me the location doesn't matter. Only that it's actually on the box.

Now if they put 8K on the chip then we can say the majority of consumers won't open it up to look at it. But a box is something everyone will see unless they are blind.

The argument that it doesn't matter because its on the back of the box doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit:

Just to clarify. I believe both companies are being shady with this. Not to the level where they will get sued but it's certainly a stretch for either of them to include 8K on the box.

Last edited:
Starting asap they should allow studios to cut features and even skip release on it so they just release on Series X.

Microsoft should wind down production of the console and let people know that it will be discontinued in a years time and you're not guaranteed games/parity going forward.

Next year give the Series X a price cut and release a Series Z (Pro) model so that the X is the base line for development. That way it should match PS5 and the upcoming PS5 Pro.

Xbox line up should be xCloud < Series X < Series "Z"< PC.

Last edited:

damidu

yeah, next they should free their own studios from the shackles,
things will only get uglier as time moves on.

though probably a lawsuit is already brewing somewhere, because of their pre-launch conjob marketing.

dottme

Wonder how many of those that voted “yes” actually own a Series S?
I voted yes, but I don‘t own a series S. I agree with the XSS being something like a cheaper entry point to next gen.
it’s less powerful and it doesn’t support everything but that’s expected.
however, the bullshit marketing from Microsoft about XSS being a XSX in 1080 is the issue. From the beginning we were seeing developer sacrificing more than just the resolution.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I mean, I knew what I was getting into. It's like the base consoles of last gen getting subpar performance after pro consoles launched. All games coming, with fewer features or not, is what matters.

Xbox fans known so little about their own console. It's even on the package on the back....

I was just about to post the same man I'm really starting to suspect people are lying and don't actually own a Series X I've never understood this weird fascination of pinning 8k marketing squarely on Sony at least be a better more informed warrior if that's the route they're taking...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Series s gave gamers a chance to upgrade from the 360, One and Series X. That’s it. What is going through your mind about supporting a piece of plastic? I think series s is every bit of good as any console ever released. It’s powered by some of the best tech.

Microsoft GIF by Xbox

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I was just about to post the same man I'm really starting to suspect people are lying and don't actually own a Series X I've never understood this weird fascination of pinning 8k marketing squarely on Sony at least be a better more informed warrior if that's the route they're taking...

Right, not only with the 8K argument, but with a lot of things when it's about PS5 vs XSX. They ignoring all kinds of things related to Xbox, but know suddenly a lot about the PS5......?????

Sorcerer

It was pretty jarring seeing the difference between my S and X. I was playing Perfect Dark at the time. I noticed that the walls in the game went from looking fuzzy on the S to actually looking sharp and actually having metallic detail on them on the X. Something relatively minor, but I did not think there would be that much of a difference in such an old game. I bought an S during the pandemic because too bad that's all that's available, but in retrospect I would never mess with the S compared to the X. But that's in retrospect, it's a matter of not knowing what you are missing.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It should never have even been made.

But yes, anyone buying an S model is not one that cares about high-end features, and is likely a casual gamer that wont even notice them missing. So if you miss out on half of them - so be it.

Limiting your more powerful console potential is bad business. Period

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Eh....yeah, that's a bit off the mark.
Well, it taught me a lesson. Always read poll question thoroughly and never assume.
It should never have even been made.

But yes, anyone buying an S model is not one that cares about high-end features, and is likely a casual gamer that wont even notice them missing. So if you miss out on half of them - so be it.

Limiting your more powerful console potential is bad business. Period
I have a hard time hating the S. I got one for my daughter, and we use it when traveling (which is most of the year). It honestly has shown me how much of the additional resources in the Series X (and honestly the PS5) gets wasted on performance heavy effects that add little to the overall presentation.

I'm not saying you can't tell the difference, I would just expect more from a device that has 3 times the gpu grunt. This could be a me problem of course, and my expectations just needed to be put in check.

Sushi_Combo

I don't think you need to own a XSS to understand the limitations it brings to the table.

Alan Wake

I've never cared for the Series S myself. But I guess this decision (although a good call) shows that Microsoft's vision for the S was a bit flawed.

BossLackey

Gold Member
What kind of mad man ask a question in the title, to then have a completely different question in the poll?

Edit: I see that mods have changed thread title

I swear to fucking god it's half the polls in this place. Is this a mass troll? It's been an issue for a long time.

Elysium44

Banned
No I'm not happy being lied to by Microsoft. They should offer refunds to everyone who bought a Series S, I'm serious. Otherwise there should be a class action lawsuit.

BG3 is the thin end of the wedge, this will open the floodgates now a precedent has been set.

Last edited:

twilo99

We have to establish what we mean by parity. The Series S was never meant to be equal to XSX or PS5, it was supposed to run the same games but downgraded. Having the same CPU and an SSD meant that could happen. The situation with Baldur's Gate 3 is unique I believe, local split screen co-op is not something many games use or people care about these days since even close friends just play from the comfort of their homes, but I'm a traditional gamer and local co-op is awesome, but if something like that needs to be cut to make a Series S version, then it's not a real issue, just cut that one feature, for some the Series S gave them all the value they needed, ONE game and ONE feature doesn't change the value proposition of the Series S.

The S never really had “parity” anyway..

The narrative is that this is just the beginning and by mid 2024 the xss won’t be able to run a single game.

Top Bottom