• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ok with the Xbox Series S losing its parity agreements?

Are you okay with series s losing parity?

• Yes

Votes: 236 63.6%
  • Non

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Should be discontinued ( but still supported)

Votes: 76 20.5%

• Total voters

Bernoulli

M2 slut
why they dont matter. Do you have a definition of what means parity? For each feature/mechanic developed of a game should be a yes/no...Else for everyone parity means something different.
because the consoles aren't the same specs by parity it means having the same parts of the game

like single player, multiplayer splic screen

Damigos

Series S was a desperate move. And a wrong move as it seems. Developers have to create 2 versions of the same game so it runs optimally just for MS.
As a result, more work for the devs and less optimization for both S and X.
Unfortunately i think Baldurs Gate is only the beginning.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why do you keep this 8K BS up?

RNzEhJt.jpg
show me a retail cpu that has that on it...it doesnt, thats one engineering sample with it scoured into the plate

gg, i guess?

Last edited:

Three

show me a retail cpu that has that on it...it doesnt, thats one engineering sample with it scoured into the plate

gg, i guess?
Not sure if this makes it any better. That is the shot they used in all their marketing material of the Scarlett (Series X) APU. The retail one is the one that most people aren't going to disassemble and see.

NEbeast

If enough people come together then I don't see why not. They took their own video marketing the SS down for a reason: because it has turned out to be a blatant lie. Why else would they hide their own marketing video? As for people saying blah blah 4k, 8k , both consoles can hit those - just not in big AAA games. Saying they are the same thing is just warping the truth. The EU , and UK, have good protection laws so time will tell if something comes from this. We have to see if the trend continues first.

Lokaum D+

They advertise as a "next gen" mid especs hardware, it was their falt not consumers falt, return ppl money or support it till the end.

Last edited:
Am I okay? Bruh I am ECSTATIC!

Now, there is hope that current gen will not be hamstrung by the Clown S. I am doubly happy for SeriesX owners who now won't miss out on games just because Clown S cant run them properly.

Shut0wen

Tbf split screen is a fucking nightmare for developers, not expecting bladurs gate 3 to look that great on consoles but i bet split screen is laughable

Stare-Bear

Banned
BG3 is because they can’t get it to work, but who says developers in the future are dropping features because of costs? Xbox is still in third place, way behind Nintendo and PlayStation.

Hoddi

Depends on the actual difference but it never made much sense to me to begin with. It's a lower memory system so nips and tucks should be expected. Especially when it's a PC game ported to consoles and not the other way around.

Yes it's good news. You know what would be even better? If Microsoft dropped the series s altogether. Or atleast make it so that supporting it is optional. Give devs the choice.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I might be out of the loop but was it announced that they were dropping all parity rules or just bending them for one super high priority game’s one feature?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not sure if this makes it any better. That is the shot they used in all their marketing material of the Scarlett (Series X) APU. The retail one is the one that most people aren't going to disassemble and see.

Its literally an engineering sample. Where is this used in marketing material, please? its been scored in by a compass or something. How can a prototype image be getting used by fanboys to try and make a point..... :/

The go to press APUs do not have this 8K on it. That's what matters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is there any clarity as to whether this is a global policy change, or a one-off concession made on the heels of the engineering staff that MS allegedly sent to help out on the project concluding that it simply wasn't possible (likely due to memory constraints)?

BIg difference depending on which is true as I doubt they'll invest so much into investigating every claim that a dev cannot easily deliver X/S feature parity.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the box would be a bigger deal because that's what consumers will see on the shelves.
Exactly, and one box literally has it slapped in the top right corner of the packaging clear for everyone to see.

Someone is trying to counter with an image of a engineering sample APU. It's crazy. One image that didnt even make it onto the final APU silicone.....

Last edited:
Xbox fans will always agree with whatever, until yesterday parity between the two platforms was defended (Larian's fault), today not because the leader has changed his mind and you have to go with the flow even if it is evident that Xbox hasn't delivered as promised, now that they've opened the can....more studios will join in the future.

Exactly, and one box literally has it slapped in the top right corner of the packaging clear for everyone to see.

Don't know why your arguing that consumers don't know how to read. If you look at both boxes you can clearly see 8K on them.

Still your acting like the boxes are invisible to consumers when they literally sit on a shelf.

Both companies made the choice to put it on the box. People can pick up and rotate (aka turn around) the box to see it. Therefore they wanted consumers to see it for marketing purposes.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:

Three

Its literally an engineering sample. Where is this used in marketing material, please? its been scored in by a compass or something. How can a prototype image be getting used by fanboys to try and make a point..... :/

The go to press APUs do not have this 8K on it. That's what matters.
You've got to be kidding me with this shit, that APU picture was tweeted out by none other than Phil Spencer himself prior to launch.

Just stop this shit. If you still think 8K wasn't advertised by MS for scarlett take a look at this too:

It's OK to admit MS marketed 8K too you know. You don't need to let your fanboy tendencies cloud your judgment.

twilo99

man, the imminent release of Starfield sure is driving some of you crazy

On top of everything the xss provides an affordable way to play the game and we simply CAN’T have that under any circumstances. It’s very bad for the industry.

Also, the xss is partially responsible for climate change and world hunger so the hate is obviously justified.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

We have to establish what we mean by parity. The Series S was never meant to be equal to XSX or PS5, it was supposed to run the same games but downgraded. Having the same CPU and an SSD meant that could happen. The situation with Baldur's Gate 3 is unique I believe, local split screen co-op is not something many games use or people care about these days since even close friends just play from the comfort of their homes, but I'm a traditional gamer and local co-op is awesome, but if something like that needs to be cut to make a Series S version, then it's not a real issue, just cut that one feature, for some the Series S gave them all the value they needed, ONE game and ONE feature doesn't change the value proposition of the Series S.

Sorcerer

Microsoft will just offer S users 3 free months of Gamepass.
If there is a next gen console from Microsoft in the future, it will be interesting to see how Phil explains that a lower power version of the console is no longer necessary this time around. Surely, they won't attempt this again.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Anyone who says they are fine with this, doesn't have an XSS. Anyone that says its the best thing to do? Doesn't have an XSS.

Its one thing to run a game at different resolutions or quality settings, getting a different game is not the same thing. And I don't know what's going on in this forum that its somehow deemed as acceptable.

At this rate, we start having games that have the entire MP component taken out of the XSX version and only the campaign being there. If the price for the XSS version was different, then that would be a different matter.

Top Bottom