• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Engineers Helping Get Baldur's Gate 3 Split-Screen Working on Xbox Series S

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I 100 percent agree that it feels like this gen has legit taken 3 years to even start... we basically had an extended ps4 pro and xbox one x period where games ran on the new consoles.

I would much prefer for them to launch with a massive jump over current consoles. Basically, launch next gen when you are ready.

Still grabbing a ps5 pro day one for exclusives.

Last edited:

X-Wing

I 100 percent agree that it feels like this gen has legit taken 3 years to even start... we basically had an extended ps4 pro and xbox one x period where games ran on the new consoles.

I would much prefer for them to launch with a massive jump over current consoles. Basically, launch next gen when you are ready.

Still grabbing a ps4 pro day one for exclusives.
I mean, a lot of that was thanks to the pandemic.

BootsLoader

Banned
Why don’t they use their ultra high speed internal memory in combination with high end decompression tech as RAM and call it a day?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Creative decision card played
As predicted, Forza split screen was just a matter of priorities and nothing to do with Series S.
If You Say So Shrug GIF

So, the Microsoft experts couldn't get it to work on the s? or just not in a reasonable time frame at the cost of profits for the developer? Is this a one off, or are the walls finally coming down for parity?

I think they realized how big the game is and didn't want to miss out on it. Plus it was generating a lot of bad PR for them right before the holidays.

My guess is that they new they couldn't meet the deadline so they either changed the clause or made an exception here.

My hope is that the policy was either eliminated or changed. Having games not appear on Xbox due to this (even temporarily) is just bad for consumers.

JackMcGunns

The truth has to do with Larian’s ongoing struggle to get Baldur’s Gate 3’s two-player split-screen co-op running well enough on the Xbox Series S, and a Microsoft policy that enforces gameplay feature parity across Xbox Series X and S. This means Larian cannot release Baldur’s Gate 3 on any Xbox Series console until it’s optimised split-screen co-op on the S to the point it hits the quality bar it needs to satisfy players.

The situation with Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox Series X and S highlights a looming problem heading towards Microsoft. As more and more developers look to make the most of the power of the PS5 and Xbox Series X, will having to release a version of their multiplatform games on the less powerful S hold them back? Or, in drastic cases such as Larian’s, hold Xbox versions back altogether?

FE5-PjrWYAga6W8.jpg

The situation with Baldur's Gate 3 is unique imo, local co-op split screen was a thing in the Nintendo 64 era, hardly a "Next-Gen" problem highlighted by this meme. I'm ok with MS getting rid of the parity clause for a feature such as this one, most people play online now a days, it's rare to see people play local split screen coop, for me it's cool because I grew up playing Golden Eye and Halo this way, but today's generation probably doesn't really care, the concern for me is, will this creep up into other features? Having the same CPU and an SSD makes me believe it probably won't, but if it does, MS should allow these one off's to be cut for Series S owners, they'll just have to accept the compromise.

Last edited:

Eotheod

The situation with Baldur's Gate 3 is unique imo, local co-op split screen was a thing in the Nintendo 64 era, hardly a "Next-Gen" problem highlighted by this meme. I'm ok with MS getting rid of the parity clause for a feature such as this one, most people play online now a days, it's rare to see people play local split screen coop, for me it's cool because I grew up playing Golden Eye and Halo this way, but today's generation probably doesn't really care, the concern for me is, will this creep up into other features? Having the same CPU and an SSD makes me believe it probably won't, but if it does, MS should allow these one off's to be cut for Series S owners, they'll just have to accept the compromise.
You know that having split screen isn't some simplistic flag or splitting two cameras and painting two separate UI's right? You have the entire backend of needing to follow two holy separate players that have somewhat open control of their characters, the systems around them and the environments they manipulate.

You also have several backend systems cataloguing what each player does, their choices, their inventory, any possible sideline changes that may or may not affect both players and entirely separate combat mechanics. Split screen was easy for the N64 era because of the simplistic nature those games operated on. You actually look at split screen games of the last and you'll notice a trend of simple interactions with reduce asset visuals and slower UI drawing.

JackMcGunns

You know that having split screen isn't some simplistic flag or splitting two cameras and painting two separate UI's right? You have the entire backend of needing to follow two holy separate players that have somewhat open control of their characters, the systems around them and the environments they manipulate.

You also have several backend systems cataloguing what each player does, their choices, their inventory, any possible sideline changes that may or may not affect both players and entirely separate combat mechanics. Split screen was easy for the N64 era because of the simplistic nature those games operated on. You actually look at split screen games of the last and you'll notice a trend of simple interactions with reduce asset visuals and slower UI drawing.

Right, I think we're in agreement, as you highlighted, this "Unique" situation is probably the only scenario beacuse of its complexity, otherwise everything else works on Series S.

Right, I think we're in agreement, as you highlighted, this "Unique" situation is probably the only scenario beacuse of its complexity, otherwise everything else works on Series S.
You are not looking at the cause, the split-screen is not the problem. The issue is RAM. Series S has the same amount of RAM as the PS4. This is exactly why there wasn't any problem with all the cross-gen games in the last few years. They were all running on PS4 and thus Series S didn't hit the RAM bottleneck.

If you think everything will STILL work from now on, with PS4 out of the picture and cross-gen ends? Well good luck to you. People are already being told to avoid anything less than 8GB of ram with new PCs. There is a reason the issue took this long to appear, and it is not just because of split-screen. You had PS4 to thank for that.

Puscifer

Star Trek Applause GIF

GG engineers

But guys, removing split screen in Forza Motorsport is a creative decision, nothing to do with series S power. See? Parity.

MS fucked up
They really should've just did a disc and digital edition, sure it wouldn't have been a cheap emulation and streaming box but considering what's on the market now people can do that without jumping through a million hoops.

Cyberpunkd

The situation with Baldur's Gate 3 is unique imo, local co-op split screen was a thing in the Nintendo 64 era, hardly a "Next-Gen" problem highlighted by this meme. I'm ok with MS getting rid of the parity clause for a feature such as this one, most people play online now a days, it's rare to see people play local split screen coop, for me it's cool because I grew up playing Golden Eye and Halo this way, but today's generation probably doesn't really care
Wanna bet how many % of people that bought Mario Kart 8 are playing it split screen on a huge ass TV?

Also, in case of Larian the split-screen was part of the charm of their games - being able to do crazy stuff and fool around while playing with your SO or a friend. It's not the same as e.g. co-op campaign for a shooter where the existence of the second player doesn't mean anything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So did Phil lie in that IGN interview?

Eh, not really. This is what he said, he's basically outlining that there will be feature differences.

In terms of the two platforms, I want games to launch on both platforms. There are feature differences between the platforms. We have an ability to kind of handle that and how it works. Where teams are going to choose to focus their time and their effort is up to them. We're here to support them and what they want to go do. We want to make sure that games when they're launching on competitive platforms are also launching on Xbox.

I think that interview was prior to his discussions with Larian and whatever agreement they came to.

I don't think agreements like that are made on the fly, they probably had been talking about it for a while, see the above quote from the IGN interview, he's talking about feature differences himself. Something anyone from Xbox wasn't saying a few weeks or month(s) ago.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think that interview was prior to his discussions with Larian and whatever agreement they came to.

But do we really think Larian didn't talk to Phil before that information reached us? No way Phil made that decision literally at Gamescom lol.

Eh, not really. This is what he said, he's basically outlining that there will be feature differences.

So aren't didn't Larian putting the game out on Xbox day and date with Playstation?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So aren't didn't Larian putting the game out on Xbox day and date with Playstation?

No, they said within 2023 so in the next 3~ months. Putting it out day and date with Starfield will be a deathnail for the game on Xbox.

But do we really think Larian didn't talk to Phil before that information reached us? No way Phil made that decision literally at Gamescom lol.

From what I understand due to this change the game will come out on Xbox this year. Doesn't necessarily mean at the same time as the PS5 version but it's much better than waiting until 2024 for the game.

Top Bottom