• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archie Comics Signs Development Deal with Warner Bros. TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/archie-comics-signs-development-deal-warner-bros-tv-975805

The pact follows the success of the CW's 'Riverdale' and could see more of Archie's pals and gals heading to the small screen.
Everything's coming up Archie.

In the wake of the launch of Riverdale on the CW, Archie Comics has signed an exclusive deal with Warner Bros. Television to develop more of the publisher's properties for television and original content.

As Archie CEO Jon Goldwater tells The Hollywood Reporter, the deal extends beyond the traditional Riverdale crew of Archie, Betty and Veronica as seen in the current CW series. It could include lesser-known properties including "America's Queen of Pin-Ups and Fashions" Katy Keene, as well as the superheroes of the company's Dark Circle imprint.

"Archie is unique in that we have a huge library of characters that are not only recognizable, but they’re successful and entertaining," Goldwater says.

Riverdale creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa told reporters last month he was interested in creating a whole Archie world. The series, with its dark tone and sexy new murder mystery plot, has been a critical hit. The deal is similar to Warner Bros. TV's pact with DC Comics, which has seen it put a whole stable of series on the air, including CW's Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl, as well as Fox's Gotham and NBC's Powerless.

Riverdale's success and the TV pact marks the latest stage in Goldwater's push to modernize Archie as a company, which started with the 2010 introduction of Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in the publisher's long history, and continued with the launch of a series that featured an adult Archie struggling with life post-marriage.

Coinciding with news of the Warner Bros. deal, Archie revealed that Mark Waid, the writer of flagship comic book series Archie, will be expanding his relationship with the company later this year by signing up to co-write a number of series, as well as mentoring upcoming writers, with the overall aim of growing the current stable of talent at the company.

"This opportunity is exciting to me for a number of reasons," Waid says about the new deal, which takes effect in May when he takes over writing the Jughead series with new co-writer Ian Flynn. "First, the chance to expand my role as a writer at Archie is terrific as we all share the same storytelling goals. Second, it allows me to exercise my editorial muscles, which — surprise — is why I got into comics in the first place. But most of all, the opportunity to help build a more diverse staff of writers, younger, eager to learn, and eager to teach me."

Archie cinematic universe?

Sonic fans salivating. They're so close to finally getting what they've always wanted - a live action Sonic the Hedgehog.

Busty

Banned
I'm not sure there are any other Archie properties that are worth adapting. Even their superhero titles seem fringe pulp at best. And given that Warners owns DC what's the point of adapting someone else's superhero titles?

Sabrina here we go!

I'm pretty sure those rights are tied up elsewhere. Didn't Sony have theatrical rights for a while?

Tizoc

Sonic fans salivating. They're so close to finally getting what they've always wanted - a live action Sonic the Hedgehog.

We actually don't care about that. The current series is ending soon which IMO isn't that big a deal. Book had a good run the past 10 years, just hope the author continues to work in comics, realy love his style.

Penguin

I'm not sure there are any other Archie properties that are worth adapting. Even their superhero titles seem fringe pulp at best. And given that Warners owns DC what's the point of adapting someone else's superhero titles?

I'm pretty sure those rights are tied up elsewhere. Didn't Sony have theatrical rights for a while?

This is what I don't get... especially on the hero side

Like I get Riverdale since it has a brand and not necessarily something DC has plentiful of, but the rest?

Yeah

Also as much as I'm digging Riverdale, not setting the world on fire!

G0523

I think Sony released those rights. Plus, I don't think they would interfere with the TV rights. CBS owned the first Sabrina series when it originally aired on ABC/WB. I'd imagine CBS gave those rights back to Archie.

Archie just screwed up a bunch of brilliant Sonic CD-styled covers by slapping "Riverdale" banners at the top, and kicked Sonic to the curb in favor of Riverdale for Free Comic Book Day. Oh yeah, big fans.

kevin1025

Banned
Isn't Riverdale on Netflix as a Netflix Original (it is up here in Canada)?

They have rights to stream it the day after airdate, possibly globally? So since it's exclusive here it's an "Original". But yeah, it's a CW show, they have the same deal with The 100, No Tomorrow, Frequency, and Jane the Virgin.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They have rights to stream it the day after airdate, possibly globally? So since it's exclusive here it's an "Original". But yeah, it's a CW show, they have the same deal with The 100, No Tomorrow, Frequency, and Jane the Virgin.

Yep. Besides the day after airing, they do the same thing with a lot of British television. They get the US streaming rights and slap a "Netflix Original" on it for US Netflix. The Fall and Happy Valley immediately jump to mind.

This Archie development deal is fascinating. It isn't like Warner Bros had a shortage of comic properties to adapt. Guess they just want more varied options.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has to be next. Sabrina was a staple of the old WB. Bringing back the next generation of that would be huge news. I'd like to see The CW announce something a little off kilter. Like a Sabrina pilot from their Archie deal and The Flintstones from Warner Bros.

Busty

Banned
This is what I don't get... especially on the hero side

Like I get Riverdale since it has a brand and not necessarily something DC has plentiful of, but the rest?

Yeah

Also as much as I'm digging Riverdale, not setting the world on fire!

Yup, I can't see WB wanting to do anything the likes of The Black Hood and/or Captain Flag given that they have barely scratched the surface of DC's roster of characters.

I think Sony released those rights. Plus, I don't think they would interfere with the TV rights. CBS owned the first Sabrina series when it originally aired on ABC/WB. I'd imagine CBS gave those rights back to Archie.

True, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the whole reason they signed a first look deal in the first place. But where would a new Sabrina show fit on the schedule if the CW is also rebooting Charmed? Hmmmm.

The CW will eventually be DC and Archie TV.

..., don't forget CBS' half hearted efforts! Dynasty rebooted for a audience that doesn't remember The OC? Sure, no problem.

ZeroX03

Banned
But where would a new Sabrina show fit on the schedule if the CW is also rebooting Charmed? Hmmmm.

Charmed production was delayed. They'll probably duke it out for the series order.

Also WB TV goes far beyond The CW, not everything has to land there. I suspect it's mostly a stepping stone to Netflix at this point.

don't ruin this for me

Ross61

Yup, I can't see WB wanting to do anything the likes of The Black Hood and/or Captain Flag given that they have barely scratched the surface of DC's roster of characters.

True, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the whole reason they signed a first look deal in the first place. But where would a new Sabrina show fit on the schedule if the CW is also rebooting Charmed? Hmmmm.

..., don't forget CBS' half hearted efforts! Dynasty rebooted for a audience that doesn't remember The OC? Sure, no problem.
Maybe they just want the option?

Looking forward to the Little Lotta and Hot Stuff! show

OEYgVYS.jpg

Joni

Critical. And considering this deal, I'd wager Netflix is going well.

It will be interesting to see if we ever reach the point where The CW is simply a promo for the Netflix release.

Charmed production was delayed. They'll probably duke it out for the series order.

Charmed will be written by the Jane the Virgin showrunner, so Berlanti might want to stay away from Sabrina until it is cancelled.

Wasn't there a Dynasty reboot on cable a few years ago?

The CW is working on the Dynasty reboot right now. It is one of their contending pilots. It is coming from the Gossip Girl team, starring some typical CW actors. I wouldn't be surprised if this is their CBS pick for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom