• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. says it's focusing on transforming its biggest franchises into live service games

ylzIIoV.gif

Well, he's fucking up movies and TV so why not fuck up video games as well?

Sooner WB dies, and gets sold off in chunks the better.
Been hard being a DC fan. AT&T were a bunch of soulless corporate vampires who fucked up the movies and the games. They sell to discovery to continue to do just that so kids who grew up with Arkham are literally grown ass late 20 somethings still waiting for just 1 SP Batman (or Superman game) to make them happy

Puscifer

For every GaaS shit show you have a number of great single-player games to enjoy. Just this year I can easily name a dozen worth your time.
For me it's more about the push that many games just can't be experiences anymore which is where I'm losing interest. Baldurs Gate 3 is definitely on my list

EDMIX

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

These fucking companies. Why didn't WB learn anything from how well Hogwarts Legacy did? we don't want this shit in our games...

Well...none of that makes any fucking sense and please dear god...stop using this horrid examples, they make zero sense in regards to how business works.

Thats like saying how well Popeyes did show McDonalds needs to learn that people want Fried Chicken, it forces this idea that 1 thing doing well, must mean that is the direction all things must go.

Stop.

That makes no fucking sense and you'd be supporting those GaaS games using this fucking logic,

be like "These fucking companies. Why didn't WB learn anything from how well APEX and Fortnite did? we don't want this shit in our games..."

When you have those games getting like 100 million or even 600 million downloads, be very careful about this whole "how well" XYZ did.

With how great any single player did, several online games did eons better.

I'd say a better argument is that the IPs that do online well, are also concepts that don't lean in favor of individualist ideas. At MOST a Justice League or Suicide Square concept can work co-op to support a narrative while connecting online, but I doubt that is getting COD, APEX or Fortnite numbers. So I agree that some of those IP simply won't do well online as the conic book idea is too much about individuals doing things vs massive online things happening.

So for comics, Harry Potter etc, yea single player concepts sell better then the online ones for that exact idea, but I also think it doesn't mean WB shouldn't move forward with doing some online thing with other IPs.

EDMIX

Then it would have just been PUBG. This future you're wanting to avoid is inescapable as long as there's money to be made.

Agreed. Its shortsighted to even think we are here because of 1 fucking game.

As if zero online game existed before that lol

Thats like thinking getting rid of McDonalds will get rid of fat people or getting rid a country that makes drugs will "cure" addiction. It makes it sound like THAT 1 THING, if it didn't happen, would correct something.

Completely disregarding a fucking market exist for this, it didn't just show up out of thin air based on 1 thing and anyone thinking that has not really, truly thought about this hard enough.

Agreed. Its shortsighted to even think we are here because of 1 fucking game.

As if zero online game existed before that lol

Thats like thinking getting rid of McDonalds will get rid of fat people or getting rid a country that makes drugs will "cure" addiction. It makes it sound like THAT 1 THING, if it didn't happen, would correct something.

Completely disregarding a fucking market exist for this, it didn't just show up out of thin air based on 1 thing and anyone thinking that has not really, truly thought about this hard enough.
They are also disregarding history. MTX all started with arcades. Arcades been a part of the gaming industry since almost it's inception.

Gaming businesses have been thinking of ways to replicate arcade-style spending for years and they finally struck gold once the internet gained traction.

This was all inevitable, but the good news for anyone posting here is that all it takes is a small amount of effort to look into the little guys(AA and indie) or most of the JP market and instead have fun playing those games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Worked great for Gotham Knights, gonna work great for the rest too.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Who’s playing PUBG now? Feel like Fortnite is much more relevant currently to this day

PUBG is routinely in the top 5 most played games on Steam. I bet the mobile version is still doing well too.

Can't wait to see people get burnt out on it all, god, I already am.

Human beings, the most social animal on earth, going to get burnt out on social multiplayer games?

Good luck.

PUBG is routinely in the top 5 most played games on Steam. I bet the mobile version is still doing well too.

Human beings, the most social animal on earth, going to get burnt out on social multiplayer games?

Good luck.
Talking about on console. Publishers ain’t transmogrifying the industry based off PC success.

It was everyone playing Fortnite on their PS4 and Xbox Ones that fucked the industry up

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Talking about on console. Publishers ain’t transmogrifying the industry based off PC success.
Epic (a publisher) literally made Fortnite because of PUBGs success on PC.

Also, the PC market is both larger than the console market and still growing, unlike the console market.

MiguelItUp

Good luck.
There are plenty of multiplayer games that exist that aren't GaaS, and don't need to be GaaS. Social ones at that. I know how you feel about GaaS, and that's great. But, can't say I'm in agreement. I don't mind them existing, but we don't need to be oversaturated.

You're missing the bigger point here. There would have always been a 'Fortnite' even if it weren't called Fortnite. The game itself doesn't matter.
The obvious counter is what if there were never a Fortnite event being the ultimate question posed. Fortnite just being the prime example

The obvious counter is what if there were never a Fortnite event being the ultimate question posed. Fortnite just being the prime example
As I’ve stated above, this was inevitable since arcades and internet. You would have to completely erase both gaming entirely and the internet for your potential future.

Braag

It's gonna be fairly amusing to watch so many games go live service. Not only does it take a ton o time and money to make a worthwhile live service game, but it will need a tremendous amount of work after release to keep players around.
Considering live service games require more of your time than regular SP games (they are like mini MMOs) and people having limited time means that majority of live service games are bound to fail.
I'm gonna have a massive bucket of popcorn when Suicide Squad releases.

WitchHunter

Banned
What leaders of an industry that already generates more income than film and television combined should be doing:
Amy Adams Drink GIF by Entertainment Tonight

What they're actually doing:
God Of War Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
They have to. The market players decide which weapons they use, since there is no proper regulation. And since big companies are big, because, well, they are not regulated at all, they do whatever they please. So if someone starts to use parasitic practices like pay per month, gaas and the like, and this brings in insane amount of money, the others also have to retort to these practices, because otherwise their revenue falters and in the long term the degenerate, parasitic company will win, because they will have much much more money. That is why you regulate these behemoths from day one and kick them back into the stone age when they are becoming naughty. And usually who plays dirty? Well, the ones, who are not creative, who are filled with dumb people and in general resembles more of a Cro-Magnon with a giant stick.

Last edited:

Hudo

Imagine the multiverse where Fortnite flopped and gaming was still a geek enthusiast passionate hobby
I would love to live in that part of the multiverse. Actually, I want to find the multiverse where Westwood is still around and Command & Conquer is also still around...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
WB is the most bipolar company ever. In gaming they have MK and Hogwarts as recent huge successes, and then they have all the recent DC games being or looking like total shit. Their movie studios are the same, Barbie on the one hand, and the Flash or Blue Beetle on the other.

Anyways, this focus on GAAS needs to stop. I get that just one Warzone, Fortnite, or Apex can pay massive dividends, but it's really hard to move people off their faves. You really have to hit perfectly, and then also have a lot of luck as well.
Your comment is spot on...

I would also add that Warner Bros. is like a resentful person with a lot of envy, proof of this is that in the 90s it did not stop making parodies of Disney, which even in its Golden Age did not reach Disney's heels.

Warner Bros. was always in the shadow of Disney throwing tantrums for not having its success.

Buggy Loop

I can imagine these game managers meeting at expos and battling it out over who will be the next Fortnite and sleep on a bed of money

eye-contact-key-and-peele.gif

Top Bottom