• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel PSVR2 is a GIANT waste

hlm666

I'm someone who thinks wireless vr is important, that said Sony could follow what oculus is doing with the wireless dongle and essentially give psvr2 the best of both worlds like quest. Don't give up on the wireless dream yet.

PolterGhast07

Neo Member
Well, Oculus definitely chipped away heavily at their market shares, and Sony would be stupid not to want to keep a foothold in the VR market especially is they expect it to be growing significantly in the next couple years. This kind of feeds back into the problem that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo face with Facebook and other silicon tech giants wanting to break into the games industry. I mean, think about, obviously Facebook owns Oculus, but Amazon owns Twitch and published Lost Ark, and Apple basically controls the entirety of the mobile gaming market in the west. Sure, Stadia was a train wreck, but Google wouldn't have pursued if they didn't think that they could make some decent bucks off of it. So, yeah, PSVR2 is more of Sony clinging on what they have left and praying to god that the PS5 will be able to sustain the entire company as they're solely relying on it more and more.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
VR is the future so i can see why they are investing so much in it but i draw the line at it coming at the expense of the AAA first party games we buy the playstation for.

Sonys e3 show is basically going to have a bunch of vr games and no next gen AAA first party stuff. Ok, so i spent $500 on your new console and now you are gonna ask me to spend another $500 on a peripheral to play some B games that need to run at 120 fps so they wont even look next gen. Pass.
Oh come on. Which publisher has released more non-VR games than Sony since these consoles?

Sony has released 11 first-party non-VR games since the PS5 launch in November 2020. That's one first-party game after every 48 days.

Software has never been an issue for Sony as it has been for other gaming companies. Any speculation or concern about how it will all just go to shit immediately and they will have no first-party stuff all of a sudden is invalid, baseless, and, quite frankly, very stupid.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: K2D

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Oh come on. Which publisher has released more non-VR games than Sony since these consoles?

Sony has released 11 first-party non-VR games since the PS5 launch in November 2020. That's one first-party game after every 48 months.

Software has never been an issue for Sony as it has been for other gaming companies. Any speculation or concern about how it will all just go to shit immediately and they will have no first-party stuff all of a sudden is invalid, baseless, and, quite frankly, very stupid.
What next gen PS5 games does Sony first party have in 2022?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What next gen PS5 games does Sony first party have in 2022?
Do you want to add any more filters to that statement?

"Sony", "first-party", "next-gen", "in 2022"

How about 2020? They released Astrobot and Demon's Souls.

How about 2021? They released Returnal and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Suddenly all those games don't matter? That's way more next-gen games than any other gaming publisher.

SlimySnake

Do you want to add any more filters to that statement?

"Sony", "first-party", "next-gen", "in 2022"

How about 2020? They released Astrobot and Demon's Souls.

How about 2021? They released Returnal and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Suddenly all those games don't matter? That's way more next-gen games than any other gaming publisher.
I will take that as a ZERO.

I rest my case.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I will take that as a ZERO.

I rest my case.
LOL! It's like saying "what game does one company have this week? None? I won. That company is doomed."

Sony has already released the most number of next-gen AAA exclusives. TLOU Remake is rumored to be releasing this year. Spider-Man 2 is next year. We'll learn more about their future roadmap in September. They have already released 11 non-vr first-party games, and they are planning to have 20+ PS VR 2 launch titles (first and third).

Stop being so hyberbolic. Their software output is unmatched.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL! It's like saying "what game does one company have this week? None? I won. That company is doomed."

Sony has already released the most number of next-gen AAA exclusives. TLOU Remake is rumored to be releasing this year. Spider-Man 2 is next year. We'll learn more about their future roadmap in September. They have already released 11 non-vr first-party games, and they are planning to have 20+ PS VR 2 launch titles (first and third).

Well to be fair, I'll do the fanboy route for laughs claiming whatever games any console maker releases is lousy.....

"None of those games interest me".

Dont pretend you've never seen this line before when gamers talk about release lists.

SlimySnake

Just because everyone else is trash doesnt mean we get to celebrate sony for releasing a total of 4 next gen games in the first 2 years, and ZERO in year 2. No, we should trash their competition while pointing out that VR games coming at the expense of first party output when their first party output is already weak.

I have no idea what is so hyperbolic about what I said:
VR is the future so i can see why they are investing so much in it but i draw the line at it coming at the expense of the AAA first party games we buy the playstation for.

I literally concede that VR is the future and that I UNDERSTAND why Sony is investing in it. The fact that you think this is 'hyperbolic' and 'very stupid' is hyperbolic to me. Like how does one get triggered by that diplomatic of a statement. I couldnt have worded it more like a politician playing both sides even If i had tried.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well to be fair, I'll do the fanboy route for laughs claiming whatever games any console maker releases is lousy.....

"None of those games interest me".

Dont pretend you've never seen this line before when gamers talk about release lists.
Yeah, people say that all the time. And that's fair if a game (or if even all the games) by a publisher do not interest you. But you still gotta acknowledge that the games are there and are objectively good, it is just not for you so you're not interested.

For example, I am not into Elden Ring / Soulsborne type games. But I still appreciate Elden Ring's excellent and realize that FromSoftware has released a masterpiece. It's just not for me. Would be real stupid of me to claim that "because Elden Ring doesn't interest me, I am not gonna count it and now FromSoftware has doomed. They have no games, etc." lol

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just because everyone else is trash doesnt mean we get to celebrate sony for releasing a total of 4 next gen games in the first 2 years, and ZERO in year 2. No, we should trash their competition while pointing out that VR games coming at the expense of first party output when their first party output is already weak.

I have no idea what is so hyperbolic about what I said
That's the point. VR is not hindering their ability to create next-gen only stuff. I'm shocked that you can't see it.

Other companies don't have VR games to make. Have they released more next-gen only games than Sony? If anyone has, then your point could be valid. If Sony has released more next-gen non-VR games than them despite investing in VR games, then your point does not stand.

Cross-gen games are still games. It's not like they suddenly don't matter. And cross-gen games are being released because of (1) when they were started, (2) PS5 chip shortage, and (3) Sony can't just abandon the PS4 userbase. Jim Ryan confirmed this years ago that they will continue supporting them, while also delivering next-gen only games. That's exactly what they have done.

It's extremely selfish to say that Sony should completely abandon and stop making any games for PS4 users now that their new product is out in the market that the majority cannot even buy because of supply shortage. People are still buying PS4s. What will the company offer to them for purchasing Sony's product if they don't release PS4 versions of their games.

Edit: And even their cross-gen games are doing stuff that other companies' next-gen only games can do. Even next-gen games don't look as beautiful and expansive as Horizon Forbidden West. They added flying and underwater exploration and gliders in cross-gen games. Gotham Knights had to cancel the last-gen version to add that stuff and that game still doesn't look as good Horizon Forbidden West.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, people say that all the time. And that's fair if a game (or if even all the games) by a publisher do not interest you. But you still gotta acknowledge that the games are there and are objectively good, it is just not for you so you're not interested.

For example, I am not into Elden Ring / Soulsborne type games. But I still appreciate Elden Ring's excellent and realize that FromSoftware has released a masterpiece. It's just not for me. Would be real stupid of me to claim that "because Elden Ring doesn't interest me, I am not gonna count it and now FromSoftware has doomed. They have no games, etc." lol
I was just joking around saying that. But looks we agree that when any gamer says that dumb line to downplay a list, it's moronic.

As for whatever Sony has released, to be honest most of them I dont care about. I think their baseball game has the most interest to me, as well as old school GOW chain slashing games. But I can respect the churn out of games.

But guess what? Most MS games I dont care about either. And I'm talking their own studio grown games (not recently bought out COD/Diablo/Skyrim). Forza Motorsport is probably my most interested existing game/franchise and the last one they made was F7 which came out 4-5 years ago. Halo and Fable dont care one bit. And last time I put in good time into Gears was on 360.

SlimySnake

That's the point. VR is not hindering their ability to create next-gen only stuff. I'm shocked that you can't see it.

Other companies don't have VR games to make. Have they released more next-gen only games than Sony? If anyone has, then your point could be valid. If Sony has released more next-gen non-VR games than them despite investing in VR games, then your point does not stand.

Cross-gen games are still games. It's not like they suddenly don't matter. And cross-gen games are being released because of (1) when they were started, (2) PS5 chip shortage, and (3) Sony can't just abandon the PS4 userbase. Jim Ryan confirmed this years ago that they will continue supporting them, while also delivering next-gen only games. That's exactly what they have done.

It's extremely selfish to say that Sony should completely abandon and stop making any games for PS4 users now that their new product is out in the market that the majority cannot even buy because of supply shortage. People are still buying PS4s. What will the company offer to them for purchasing Sony's product if they don't release PS4 versions of their games.

Edit: And even their cross-gen games are doing stuff that other companies' next-gen only games can do. Even next-gen games don't look as beautiful and expansive as Horizon Forbidden West. They added flying and underwater exploration and gliders in cross-gen games. Gotham Knights had to cancel the last-gen version to add that stuff and that game still doesn't look as good Horizon Forbidden West.
I am not going to rehash the cross gen vs next gen arguments with you again. We have been down this road before and you and I will never see eye to eye on this stuff so lets not even go there.

You are shocked that I cant see VR isnt hindering their ability to create next gen stuff. I'm shocked you can see games that haven't even been revealed yet. Yoshida said that their e3 state of play is going to have third party reveals and vr only stuff. That's all the proof i need really. This is their big 2022 show and they are showing up just vr stuff. When Sony announced that they had 25 first party games in development, no one here wanted them to be vr games. We all expected and wanted next gen only AAA stuff because thats why we are sony fans. Now they want to focus on VRR for 2022. Ok, i get it, but i dont have to like that it came at the expense of next gen only games in 2022.

SlimySnake

I was just joking around saying that. But looks we agree that when any gamer says that dumb line to downplay a list, it's moronic.

As for whatever Sony has released, to be honest most of them I dont care about. I think their baseball game has the most interest to me, as well as old school GOW chain slashing games. But I can respect the churn out of games.

But guess what? Most MS games I dont care about either. And I'm talking their own studio grown games (not recently bought out COD/Diablo/Skyrim). Forza Motorsport is probably my most interested existing game/franchise and the last one they made was F7 which came out 4-5 years ago. Halo and Fable dont care one bit. And last time I put in good time into Gears was on 360.
Thats all fair and good, but if you are a fan of a certain publisher then you like the games they make. I am sure ubisoft fans love their formula especially considering how well they sell. Im done with them, but they have their fans.

Now if Sony's fanbase stopped getting those games then why wouldnt sony deserve some criticism? Xbox fans used to love posting those pics of sony third person action games set in the forest. Well, narrative driven action adventure games are precisely why i loved sony as a publisher. No one else was doing games like that except for maybe a couple of japanese devs. Not a single person on this board gives a shit about sony's vr games. Not even the astrobot game which was supposedly very good. Ive literally never seen that game on a top 10 list of any kind. No one became a sony fan because of until dawn vr. It's sony's trademark storytelling mixed with state of the art visual fidelity pushing next gen visuals is what made them a massive success going back to the early PS3 days; when they were losing every single faceoff against the xbox 360 and at the same time producing incredible visuals from the first party studios.

I completely understand why fans of sony or microsoft would be unhappy if they completely changed the direction of the company or if the change came at the expense of what made these fans fall in love with their games.

If Sony had 4 AAA next gen only games coming out in 2022 and a dozen smaller vr titles for launch, i bet you wouldnt see this thread being made.

Last edited:

Three

I agree.

For me personally, driving or flying games suit VR the best. So something like GT7 theoretically would be a blast to play in VR. However we can already tell from non VR GT7 that it's pushing the system to its limit in some scenarios.

So now if you combine GT7 with the specs of the VR hardware, specifically 4k (2k x 2k per eye) with 110 degree FOV at 120hz, the technical challenges for the base PS5 hardware to power this title as a VR experience seem insurmountable.

So if we do get GT7 as a VR title, how much of the core experience has to be cut back in order for it to simply run on this VR hardware?

We already know from GT Sport that the VR mode was cut down so significantly to work in VR that you could only ever do solo time trials or limited races against 1 other AI racer.

For that reason, I'm not excited by PSVR2.
Foveated rendering and bobs your uncle. But seriously I hope foveated rendering helps a lot. I'm wishing for GT7 VR to have GT Sport graphics in VR with full player grids.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thats all fair and good, but if you are a fan of a certain publisher then you like the games they make. I am sure ubisoft fans love their formula especially considering how well they sell. Im done with them, but they have their fans.

Now if Sony's fanbase stopped getting those games then why wouldnt sony deserve some criticism? Xbox fans used to love posting those pics of sony third person action games set in the forest. Well, narrative driven action adventure games are precisely why i loved sony as a publisher. No one else was doing games like that except for maybe a couple of japanese devs. Not a single person on this board gives a shit about sony's vr games. Not even the astrobot game which was supposedly very good. Ive literally never seen that game on a top 10 list of any kind. No one became a sony fan because of until dawn vr. It's sony's trademark storytelling mixed with state of the art visual fidelity pushing next gen visuals is what made them a massive success going back to the early PS3 days; when they were losing every single faceoff against the xbox 360 and at the same time producing incredible visuals from the first party studios.

I completely understand why fans of sony or microsoft would be unhappy if they completely changed the direction of the company or if the change came at the expense of what made these fans fall in love with their games.

If Sony had 4 AAA next gen only games coming out in 2022 and a dozen smaller vr titles for launch, i bet you wouldnt see this thread being made.
I was more responding to Heisenberg007, as opposed to reading the trail leading up to it.

As for VR, I agree it's not a big draw for the masses. To me, it's more of a tech showcase. PSVR1 sold 5M units across 120M consoles. I dont know what kind of sales Occulus and VIVE have compared to the PC base.

If VR is such a big draw with high quality games, you'd have tons of people with it and their games being crowned GOTY everywhere. Not happening.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This is not their big show. This is just State of Play #16. And State of Plays are mostly there to fulfill third-party game marketing deals. We'll likely see Avatar, Hogwart's Legacy, COD, Tchia, Stray, and stuff like that.

We all know that their big yearly showcase is called PlayStation Showcase and that happens in September. So let's just wait for their show first.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I was more responding to Heisenberg007, as opposed to reading the trail leading up to it.

As for VR, I agree it's not a big draw for the masses. To me, it's more of a tech showcase. PSVR1 sold 5M units across 120M consoles. I dont know what kind of sales Occulus and VIVE have compared to the PC base.

If VR is such a big draw with high quality games, you'd have tons of people with it and their games being crowned GOTY everywhere. Not happening.
More than the commercial draw, I feel like VR is important because:

(1) it is the next evolution of the gaming medium, and gamers should support it. Yes, the tech is not there right now for high-fidelity experiences, but the immersion is second to none. In a few years, the tech will catch up, and we will be seeing gaming experiences like RDR 2, TLOU 2, GOW, COD in VR. That's a future worth investing in.

(2) Leading companies need to evolve, take risks, and innovate. Otherwise, we will always stagnate, and gamers will never what could have been. That's why I support VR. I purchased PSVR 1. I then purchased Quest 2 to support the industry and its evolution. Now I'll buy PS VR 2 to support it again because I want the gaming industry to grow and offer unique gaming experiences.

Darius87

Sony ain't putting AAA teams on VR, they're putting their Vita/PSP calibur studios on it. This is ironically what will wind up fulfilling the OPs prophecy. VR will never find real success with fractional budgets and inexperienced developers.
Guerilla is Vita/PSP caliber studio :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

drezz

Quite honestly I wonder why they are taking a massive risk with this. Psvr although sold 5 million ish, this was from an i stall base of 100m+. They are barely managing to manufacture enough ps5’s.
It’s a big gamble. I am also disappointed it is wired. I have a quest 2 and it’s pretty amazing.
I can only guess the first and cheapest PSVR2 will have cable and a premium version wil have wireless and maybe some more bells and stuff extra.
Easy recharge with just plugging in the same cable.
Or if we really lucky a quick changeble battery pack, but thats very doubtfull.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More than the commercial draw, I feel like VR is important because:

(1) it is the next evolution of the gaming medium, and gamers should support it. Yes, the tech is not there right now for high-fidelity experiences, but the immersion is second to none. In a few years, the tech will catch up, and we will be seeing gaming experiences like RDR 2, TLOU 2, GOW, COD in VR. That's a future worth investing in.

(2) Leading companies need to evolve, take risks, and innovate. Otherwise, we will always stagnate, and gamers will never what could have been. That's why I support VR. I purchased PSVR 1. I then purchased Quest 2 to support the industry and its evolution. Now I'll buy PS VR 2 to support it again because I want the gaming industry to grow and offer unique gaming experiences.
Even if VR improves a lot in terms of specs, size, price etc.... I dont see it ever being an evolution. It'll be an add on for sure, but just like gaming now, tried and true sitting on a couch or computer chair playing games staring at a TV/monitor has held for 45 years. Motion gaming (which at the time was considered so immersive because everyone is literally getting off their ass) didnt hold either.

The biggest problem with acceptance might not even be tech or software. It's more pragmatic like some gamers not having the room to stand and move around or wanting a brick on their face. For me, even if I wanted to try out a VR set, I'd have to get up and move my heavy ottoman back and forth every time, and I got some other stuff in close proximity on the floor.

And for someone wanting to play VR in a cramped bedroom at a desk, I dont know how they'd even do it unless it's a game where sitting on a chair the whole time works for that game.

Convenience is a big thing as we've all seen. A big reason why digital games took off despite a million reasons in 2013 why it's bad. Turns out gamers prefer sitting on their ass to save 12 seconds loading a disc is probably the biggest giant factor of digital acceptance. Who knew. And criticism of PSVR came a lot from too many wires or fiddling with the hook up. A lot of people are lazy.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Even if VR improves a lot in terms of specs, size, price etc.... I dont see it ever being an evolution. It'll be an add on for sure, but just like gaming now, tried and true sitting on a couch or computer chair playing games staring at a TV/monitor has held for 45 years. Motion gaming (which at the time was considered so immersive because every is literally getting off their ass) didnt hold either.

The biggest problem with acceptance might not even be tech or software. It's more pragmatic like some gamers not having the room to stand and move around or wanting a brick on their face. For me, even if I wanted to try out a VR set, I'd have to get up and move my heavy ottoman back and forth every time, and I got some other stuff in close proximity on the floor.

And for someone wanting to play VR in a cramped bedroom at a desk, I dont know how they'd even do it unless it's a game where sitting on a chair the whole time works for that game.

Convenience is a big thing as we've all seen. A big reason why digital games took off despite a million reasons in 2013 why it's bad. Turns out gamers prefer sitting on their ass to save 12 seconds loading a disc is probably the biggest giant factor of digital acceptance. Who knew. And criticism of PSVR came a lot from too many wires or fiddling with the hook up. A lot of people are lazy.
Yeah 2d gaming isn’t going anywhere. And the active gaming style of vr won’t be
primary due to effort.

But I’m curious if the next gen vr headset can be a viable large screen experience tho.

Sitting at your desk while transported to an imax experience can be enticing. Current PSVR does it, but it’s too low rez to be viable outside of a curiosity.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Even if VR improves a lot in terms of specs, size, price etc.... I dont see it ever being an evolution. It'll be an add on for sure, but just like gaming now, tried and true sitting on a couch or computer chair playing games staring at a TV/monitor has held for 45 years. Motion gaming (which at the time was considered so immersive because everyone is literally getting off their ass) didnt hold either.

I agree people are lazy, and that is part of why VR isn't more popular right now. Plus comfort, resolution, glasses, wires, and space like you say.

However there are many other large reasons why digital took off, laziness was just one of many:

- Never out of stock, no pre-book needed
- Easer to impulse buy
- Faster to switch between games (not a function of laziness but rather speed)
- Yes too lazy to get up off the couch (guilty as charged)
- Easier to see your whole collection at a glance
- In some cases one purchase for both PC and xbox (two platforms for one price)
- Never lose a disk, never scratch a disk
- Access the game easier on more than one console, or sometimes even in different households
- You never reach for a disk only to find out your friend/cousin/sibling still has it 2 years later and your never going to see it again.

Their studios last gen who made VR content will continue to do so and some of their new studios are making some alongside other traditional games. They have more traditional games in development than at any other point in their history so there isn’t a need to worry. Insomniac, for example, has three traditional games on the go plus VR. Firesprite has two traditional games and at least one VR.
London Studio is a net gain for traditional games as they are working on VR, but also on a traditional fantasy RPG.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think one thing that would boost VR acceptance isn't even gaming. Its sports. Reading up on it, watching live sports with VR sets is doable, but limited in apps and availability. One site even said he hasnt even found a good NHL game this year with 360 VR modes. But it seems for NBA its way better. But for the video I saw it wasnt even great quality (as he said) and the VR viewpoints changed on their own. He preferred the sideline view but the app does it's own thing shifting to whichever cam angle it wants. So it's not totally free flowing (unless they changed it now).

If sports VR access ever got big, I'd probably get a VR set for that (assuming it's reasonably priced and smaller) and watch Leaf games as if I was there. Even if there's a small fee per game. Get friends who have the headset too and party up and watch a game together.

And for VR gaming it would be a bonus feature.

Inviusx

Foveated rendering and bobs your uncle. But seriously I hope foveated rendering helps a lot. I'm wishing for GT7 VR to have GT Sport graphics in VR with full player grids.

I don't think Foveated rendering can account for that much of a performance differential. Can it?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yeah, i'd rather they focus on making more PS5 exclusives that make it worth buying the console itself nevermind that and some low quality VR headset.

i don't have anything against VR but maybe make sure people can and want to buy your console first.

Wohc

Banned
Just because it's niche it doesn't mean it's a waste. As long as there is a market for it it's not a waste and respect to Sony for further investing into VR after the first attempt wasn't that succesful.

mxbison

I don't think Foveated rendering can account for that much of a performance differential. Can it?

In theory it could give a massive performance boost and let VR even surpass flat screen fidelity.

The question is how well it works in PSVR2. I remember reading that tech still had quite a long way to go shortly before Sony announced it for PSVR2.

SpokkX

You want glasses-free VR? Pray tell, how would that work? Edit: I misunderstood that, disregard. 🙂

I agree it's a shame it's not wireless though, will be hard going back to being tethered after getting used to complete freedom with the Quest 2.

Still don't think it's a waste though, no. Pretty excited for mainstream high-end VR, which doesn't really exist yet.
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

They have their own dedicated VR team separately which has nothing to do with the development of PS5 games.
PS studios won't produce less games, in fact all of their studios are expanding and they have more projects compare to previous generation.
"Sony's studios are smallish" ??
Compare to what?
I only see games after games coming out from those studios. They are so damn productive.They don't need massive amounts of studios, when those studios are not productive, its a waste of resources.
So the teams that are making VR stuff could not be working on ordinary games instead? You mean Sony has no teams that have worked on ordinary games that are now put on vr stuff instead?

You dont think they could make MORE standard games if vr was not a thing. Come on. Think for yourself

How can you even argue about this? Everything costs in resources and time. This is basic stuff.

Last edited:

Three

It can help a lot depending on how aggressive it is with the resolution. If for example you can render half the pixels it would be like it's not even a VR game anymore since you would be doing the same work as a high framerate regular 2D game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It's an absolute waste of time and resources
When VR gets more than 5% of budget of normal games, then maybe you have a point.

See above, it's unlikely and it certainly hasn't borne out on any vr hmd to date.
What's more possible is that they lean into cross medium strategy where VR gets more direct ports, now that hw allows it.
It may not be the best type of content for vr but it is attention grabbing IPs that matter to larger market. Basically the Switch strategy

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
have you played?

AAA for VR means Half-Life: Alyx. Which just happens to be Valve's best game, the best VR game around, and easily one of the best games you can play - period. If H:COTM is as on-rails and forgettable as its trailer looked, this tweet will age like a rotting corpse.

Sony's PSVR2 will likely be an incredible play to enjoy VR, and PlayStation fans are in for a treat. PSVR2 corrects all of the main issues with the first device, save for the tether. (At least it's less obtuse this time). With the power of a PS5 behind it, and the advances in foveated rendering, PSVR2 will easily see the best of the current crop of PCVR ported across, with all of the benefits of a closed VR platform. Add in the exclusive VR hits Sony will likely deliver - Astrobot's Rescue Mission is legitimately one of the best VR games ever made - and I'm not really sure why anyone would think this is a waste, or a bad move. I can't wait to see what they cook up.

Software has never been a issue for sony. Even when they were juggling ps3 and psp, they were able to release tons of games. If you don't care for VR then don't buy it but having the option is good. On xbox there is no VR at all for those that may be interested. That's weak for a corporation as rich as Microsoft.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
Software has never been a issue for sony. Even when they were juggling ps3 and psp, they were able to release tons of games. If you don't care for VR then don't buy it but having the option is good. On xbox there is no VR at all for those that may be interested. That's weak for a corporation as rich as Microsoft.
They already invested money into AR and while not 100% sure i think they could just make a deal with 3rd party VR if they really wanted to. I think they are still shell-shocked by Kinect.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I think it’s a total waste of resources. All these studios should be putting their full effort into console games. We saw with PSP and Vita(RIP old friend) the quality of those first party titles. They weren’t great at all. PSVR was a flop and I don’t see why this would be any different. VR is still a niche market and people have been saying for years how it’s the next big thing.

I’ve used it and never saw the appeal. It’s fun for about 20 minutes before it goes back into the box to be sold on eBay. That’s what I did with my Rift.

Last edited:

boomcrab

I've still yet to even try vr, I almost got the original psvr but now I'll just wait for this. Personally I'm really happy Sonys going all in.

Liljagare

It's a growing market, there is money in it, companies will want to have a slice of that.

I love it personally, got me back into gaming.

It's hard to explain just what it is to people who never tried it still, you have to experience it to get it, which is still a hurdle for marketing to overcome, hoping Sony can help push it forwards.

Top Bottom