• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TechRadar: PSVR 2’s price is its biggest obstacle

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
E0gpAjEVoAAFMsS

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
an accessory that is more expensive that the main product? great idea (y)

PS5 here is £480. I ain't paying £520 for a headset lmfao. should be £350-400. It's not worth the price at all.
The problem with VR compared to other tech gadgets is the content isn't there.

When DVD and BR players came out, they're probably like $600 or $800 or whatever. The massive sales come when it probably hits around $200.

However, for those media formats, they pick up steam from early adopters who buy it no matter what. And even from people who dont want to spend money, you still kind of keep an eye on it. Thats because when the new formats are being promoted and you got Terminator 2, Robocop and other big name fan favourites are marketed, it gets all movie watchers excited.

Of course, it gets to a point it's just pixels, so 4k UHD didn't take off, but for the transition to a new digital movie medium it was big news. I got a DVD player when it became $300 and yup my first movies were some Arnold movies and Saving Private Ryan. Even if DVD players were $99 when I bought it, if the content stinks I wouldnt bother. But for some people, a low enough price is worth scooping up. Looking how many Samsung Gear and Google Cardboard sales there were and it wasnt even real VR like a headset. But when it's dirt cheap with crap games, even it'll sell millions of units.

If those old media formats started with all no name indie movies for 5+ years most people dont care about, it's going to be a tough slog. Even worse, VR gear isn't even coming down in price. It's actually going up. There's only a handful of big name VR games people keep plugging like HL Alyx, GT7 and RE8. And these games are all recent. Where's the big budget games before that for the first 6 years of VR? The big name games were Beat Saber and Job Sim. And the big name games are split across PC and PS VR, so it's not even a cohesive batch of 3 games on one VR platform.

Last edited:
I was pretty surprised when I saw the canadian price. $820.
Like... what?

For reference the disc PS5 with 2 controllers and God of War is on sale here for $760.

I checked the prices for the high-end comparable or better PCVR headsets.. I mean, PSVR2 being expensive? Is this a joke?

If anything, it's cheap considering the tech and quality. Sure, it's a lot of money but you're not getting the same experience anywhere else at this price. Not even close.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I checked the prices for the high-end comparable or better PCVR headsets.. I mean, PSVR2 being expensive? Is this a joke?

If anything, it's cheap considering the tech and quality. Sure, it's a lot of money but you're not getting the same experience anywhere else at this price. Not even close.
All most no body in console space wants to spend close to 1100 euros on a console and a vr headset .. I see nothing wrong with the statement. Mostly people want a cheap way to play games at a reasonable price .. otherwise everyone would have a gaming pc costing 1000s with VR headsets .

Console market is about convenience at a cheap price . It’s like this from the 80s.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All most no body in console space wants to spend close to 1100 euros on a console and a vr headset .. I see nothing wrong with the statement. Mostly people want a cheap way to play games at a reasonable price .. otherwise everyone would have a gaming pc costing 1000s with VR headsets .

Console market is about convenience at a cheap price . It’s like this from the 80s.
Exactly.

Maybe for the PC market spending another $500 US for VR is nothing but for console gaming it’s a lot. That’s why PSVR1 tapped out at 5M or so units in 5 years. And it even was discounted.

Kinect and Move only sold so many units at those things were only around $100 and even came in bundled console deals.

In Canada it’s even worse. PS5 $650. VR2 $750. $1400. Add a budget $20 starter game and tax and you’re at $1,600.

For anyone who wants to ignore the sunk cost of PS5 fine. VR2 + the first budget game bought + tax is about $900.

Last edited:

Fredrik

In Canada it’s even worse. PS5 $650. VR2 $750. $1400. Add a budget $20 starter game and tax and you’re at $1,600.
Similar to Sweden, the system-seller GT7 experience as of today March 25th:

PS5 Digital: $600
PSVR2: $690
GT7: $80
Logitech G923: $300

= $1670

I’m still on the fence, watching with quite a bit of interest, would love to try out GT7 in VR. I already have the PS5 and GT7 so it would be about $1000 total for me. It’s less than a RTX 4090 at least ($2000+).

But I want to see some signs of bigger investments by bigger devs and Sony themselves before I jump in.

And in general I honestly want to see what Meta and Apple has up it’s sleeves too before I invest any more at all in VR.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Honestly if you could somehow get every PS5 owner to experience just 5mins inside the castle in Resi8, you'd get a fuck ton more sales, best gaming experience I've had by far, same with GT7 and I don't play racers but fucking hell it's a game changer for the genre.

It's a niche product for those that can afford it, hopefully they can work on the manufacturering and reduce costs which may open it up to a few more people but I can't see them dropping it to $399 which may make it more an impulse buy, dropping it by $50 ain't gonna make sales.

And is this tethering nonsense still raising it's head, I play Horizon in room scale standing up and it's doesn't bother me one bit

If it was cheaper most of this would be forgivable, but Sony rushed this thing out without a proper library to support it. Most people are not early adopters of new consoles, they wait until it has a library or a killer app they feel compelled to play. PSVR2 does not have any of these yet.

This is different than when people buy a launch console without many games because they know that the platform will eventually have games. With that, you buy a PS5 because you know it will have a better version of current/cross gen titles and it will eventually have games that won’t be on PS4. It helps that PS5 was backwards compatible. With PSVR2 it’s not backwards compatible and it’s not like every new game is going to show up on that platform - just VR games, which have yet to really break into the mainstream.

Minsc

Gold Member
This is going to go the way of the Vita (don't worry lil guy, I still play you occasionally when im on the toilet).
Naw, there'll be a PSVR3, this won't be the end. Plus software wise Sony's already shown it more love! GT7 alone is greater than the entire Vita catalog for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Similar to Sweden, the system-seller GT7 experience as of today March 25th:

PS5 Digital: $600
PSVR2: $690
GT7: $80
Logitech G923: $300

= $1670

I’m still on the fence, watching with quite a bit of interest, would love to try out GT7 in VR. I already have the PS5 and GT7 so it would be about $1000 total for me. It’s less than a RTX 4090 at least ($2000+).

But I want to see some signs of bigger investments by bigger devs and Sony themselves before I jump in.

And in general I honestly want to see what Meta and Apple has up it’s sleeves too before I invest any more at all in VR.
No different than consoles. Just wait it out. It not like PSVR2 is going away after a year or two, just like neither any console. Even Wii U stuck around for longer than that.

After a couple years pass, there will be tons more dedicated VR games and probably a slew of standard games with VR modes built in. And just like PSVR1, it'll probably get a price cut too. And you never know, maybe PSVR2 will be work on PC. So for any gamers tempted to try it, well just like PC ports of PS games, maybe VR2 will work on PC too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Honestly if you could somehow get every PS5 owner to experience just 5mins inside the castle in Resi8, you'd get a fuck ton more sales, best gaming experience I've had by far, same with GT7 and I don't play racers but fucking hell it's a game changer for the genre.

It's a niche product for those that can afford it, hopefully they can work on the manufacturering and reduce costs which may open it up to a few more people but I can't see them dropping it to $399 which may make it more an impulse buy, dropping it by $50 ain't gonna make sales.

And is this tethering nonsense still raising it's head, I play Horizon in room scale standing up and it's doesn't bother me one bit
That's a good question for VR set makers.

During the Wii/360/PS3 years, tons of shops had Wii and Kinect demo kiosks. I dont remember seeing Sony Move demo stations, but I wouldnt be surprised if they had them too.

But for VR (any headset maker), how often has anyone seen a VR demo set at GS, Best Buy, Walmart or any store selling games? I dont think I've ever it once.

Last edited:

SCB3

Yep, far too expensive, I can afford it sure but its more than the PS5 itself, I'd rather invest in a full PC VR setup at that point

AGRacing

https://www.techradar.com/features/psvr-2s-price-is-its-biggest-obstacle

While their point of maybe including PSVR2 games into PS Plus is decently reasonable "PriceStation VR"? Is that the best line they could come up with over there? Also they are citing the Bloomberg article that Sony themselves said wasn't true.

With that being said, while everyone knows it's not cheap, I don't really get the logic here with TechRadar here, where they say Sony should give more than what comes in the box which makes sense, but then their example PS Plus., which doesn't make sense.

Most likely at minimum if not premium, they would put VR games under Extra, which is $14.99 a month, and $99 for a year. That would be on TOP of the $549, so their solution for Sony to give gamers more out the box to justify PSVR2's price, is to pay MORE money? Even if they put it on essential, it would still be gamers paying an extra $60.

That doesn't sound like that would fix the price problem imo.
Nearly anyone who buys the PSVR2 at this stage is subscribed to some tier of PS+ already.

It's a little ridiculous there are no benefits for PSVR2 currently attached to any plan.... But that is just Sony in 2023. We're in the "we're no.1 and arrogant" phase of the Sony cycle... With nobody around to knock them down a peg like in 2006.

If Microsoft and Meta had ANY sense they'd find a deal to make Quest 2 and forward compatible with Series console via USB cable. Share royalties.. whatever it takes. But they're seemingly asleep at the wheel too.

coffinbirth

Scalpers are interested in anything that can make them a profit.
PS4 didn't have scalping issues anywhere near PS5 levels and scalping is getting worse (look at graphics cards for example)

I bet scalpers will go after Quest 3 and especially Apples headset (although the high price, if $3000 may actually be of a benefit and put scalpers off as it could be a big risk, but big gains if it pays off)

There's probably many reasons they are doing it this way (better control of stock, quicker data on sales, possibly cheaper/higher profit etc.), but I reckon prevent scalpers is part of it.
Scalpers exploit supply due to demand. If there is no demand, there are no scalpers, regardless of MSRP.
If anything, Sony would probably LOVE some scalping action to drum up some artificial demand where they failed to do that organically. Not being at retail, in front of peoples eyes, is where Sony is fucking up here, IMO. They need those impulse purchases.

Fredrik

Scalpers exploit supply due to demand. If there is no demand, there are no scalpers, regardless of MSRP.
If anything, Sony would probably LOVE some scalping action to drum up some artificial demand where they failed to do that organically. Not being at retail, in front of peoples eyes, is where Sony is fucking up here, IMO. They need those impulse purchases.
Here in Sweden it’s sold at retail and I know from talks here that it’s sold at retail in other european countries too, but it’s not selling out and it’s probably because of the price, at $690 it’s out of the impulse buy range.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
It's a $550 peripheral from Sony and they don't have the best track supporting them. Besides, the Quest 3 is coming this year.

That's a good question for VR set makers.

During the Wii/360/PS3 years, tons of shops had Wii and Kinect demo kiosks. I dont remember seeing Sony Move demo stations, but I wouldnt be surprised if they had them too.

But for VR (any headset maker), how often has anyone seen a VR demo set at GS, Best Buy, Walmart or any store selling games? I dont think I've ever it once.

To be fair, VR demo's were everywhere in 2015 to mid 2017. Sony was given out PlayStation water bottles and shorts at some of the demos in the earlier part of that time frame. HTC was considered the most cutting edge thing out there and many people back then were defending the prices saying it was worth it. Carboard was everywhere, and then quickly abandoned, and Samsung Gear and PSVR1 were probably the most common demos you could find in many retail stores (can carriers), at least in the US.

coffinbirth

Here in Sweden it’s sold at retail and I know from talks here that it’s sold at retail in other european countries too, but it’s not selling out and it’s probably because of the price, at $690 it’s out of the impulse buy range.
People are scalping Hummer EV's FFS, price has nothing to do with it...unless you are saying there is no demand because of the MSRP, to which I'd say that is part of the problem, but not THE reason there is currently not enough demand to warrant scalping.

That being said, scalping is a far bigger problem in the US than it is in Europe(or so I've read) so this seemingly preemptive measure by Sony to combat it has ironically backfired, IMO.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No. It's the comfort and the weird diffuser they glued onto the screen to hide screen door effect.

Fredrik

People are scalping Hummer EV's FFS, price has nothing to do with it...unless you are saying there is no demand because of the MSRP, to which I'd say that is part of the problem, but not THE reason there is currently not enough demand to warrant scalping.

That being said, scalping is a far bigger problem in the US than it is in Europe(or so I've read) so this seemingly preemptive measure by Sony to combat it has ironically backfired, IMO.
Scalping is definitely a thing here too, PS5 was scalped like crazy, but maybe there isn’t enough talk about PSVR2 to trigger the scalper groups, yet. I don’t hear anyone talk about it, don’t know anyone who has one, it’s a real snoozefest of a launch that’s for sure. But that’s VR. I don’t hear many talk about Quest 2 either.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The obstacles are three fold:
  • Niche appeal of VR in general
  • Price
  • Small software library

These three factors are working in conjunction to keep casual consumers away. There's no way PSVR is going to take off unless they can address both the price and the software library (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

Crayon

The obstacles are three fold:
  • Niche appeal of VR in general
  • Price
  • Small software library

These three factors are working in conjunction to keep casual consumers away. There's no way PSVR is going to take off unless they can address both the price and the software library (or lack thereof).

What does "take off" mean, though?

FrankWza

What does "take off" mean, though?
Exactly. It will surpass PSVR1 sales and that's an insane amount of sales for an add on peripheral that will retail between $3-500 over it's lifetime. 5-7% attach rate is not a lot.... Unless you're a 100 million console seller

Crayon

Exactly. It will surpass PSVR1 sales and that's an insane amount of sales for an add on peripheral that will retail between $3-500 over it's lifetime. 5-7% attach rate is not a lot.... Unless you're a 100 million console seller

The other thing is they get better numbers of people continuing to use it and buy games more throughout their ownership of it.

Some of these guys in here have not put much thought into their opinions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Compared to life and bills and inflation and the recession that's incoming. Just saying.
And the games.

You can pay $500 US and get a PS5 which has tons of games from indie budget to AAA $70 to last gen BC games. The full gamut.

Or you can pay another $550 US on top of that to play RE8 VR, a slew of budget VR games already on PCVR for years and VR mode in GT7, in which the standard game is already a highly rated full content game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I tell you once thing, psvr2 talk got me back on my rift s and I'm playing it for a couple of hours every night. God game I love vr...can't wait for quest 3 and will pick up the psvr 2 in a year or so if It looks like the support is there from Sony. I just don't trust them to support it....especially as it already seems to be pretty much quiet from Sony about it?

Minsc

Gold Member
And the games.

You can pay $500 US and get a PS5 which has tons of games from indie budget to AAA $70 to last gen BC games. The full gamut.

Or you can pay another $550 US on top of that to play RE8 VR, a slew of budget VR games already on PCVR for years and VR mode in GT7, in which the standard game is already a highly rated full content game.

Eh, GT7 in VR is worth $1,000s more than in flat. So it's a steal.

FrankWza

The other thing is they get better numbers of people continuing to use it and buy games more throughout their ownership of it.

Some of these guys in here have not put much thought into their opinions.
Yup. Peripheral makers pay license on theirs and don't get a piece of software sales and would still kill to sell 5mil+ wheels or fightsticks @$3-500. I know their margins are a little wider but software sales help narrow that for Sony on VR2.

Fredrik

Well I tell you once thing, psvr2 talk got me back on my rift s and I'm playing it for a couple of hours every night. God game I love vr...can't wait for quest 3 and will pick up the psvr 2 in a year or so if It looks like the support is there from Sony. I just don't trust them to support it....especially as it already seems to be pretty much quiet from Sony about it?
Same here, I got back to playing Quest 2 on PC. Skyrim VR has been my go to VR game for awhile now. Been playing around with Resident Evil 2 Remake as well, H hlm666 mentioned that there are VR mods now so I had to try it, not jank-free but still cool, it’s amazing what can be done through mods.

Ar¢tos

Surely the fact it is wired is worse? It can't compete with Quest.
Have you considered the possibility that psvr2 isn't even trying to compete with the Quest?
It adds value to the ps5 by being the only VR solution in console market (current gen, ignoring psvr1).
Not everything is made to compete with something.

Top Bottom