• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man |OT| Is It Too Late To Change The Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris0701

Saw it today. Like its presentation and overall production value (visual VFX, plot and character), but wonder to know... what is the real weakness of Ant man ?

Actually he can shrink himself inside anyone's body and enlarge himself back to normal size, this will cause explode and finish all livings.

No one can escape this damage approach.

As a first entry standalone, really solid if nothing particularly special. I'd put it slightly below Cap 1, and definitely stands as one of the safer, less memorable of marvel's entries.

I should give it more credit than it deserves because Ant-Man really was a hard sell, but Edgar Wright cast a huge shadow over the entire movie; when the credits started rolling my friend and I kept talking about what could have been if he was still at the helm, especially because some of the better jokes seemed to have had his signature on it. Not to take away from what we got; I really enjoyed the humor in the show, and the ways the shrinking ability is used in the film. Spoilers follow
Avengers tie-in with Falcon was completely unnecessary and only serving Marvel Studio's need for action and continuity
; I felt they could've taken the time to explore the father-daughter (on both sides) relationships more, IMO the biggest disappointment in this film.

So Stark Industries is offering scholarships for kids from urban schools.

Peter Parker tease?

There is one, though not exactly as you might expect.

guek

Banned
Saw it today. Like its presentation and overall production value (visual VFX, plot and character), but wonder to know... what is the real weakness of Ant man ?

Actually he can shrink himself inside anyone's body and enlarge himself back to normal size, this will cause explode and finish all livings.

No one can escape this damage approach.

Unless you're Vejito

hqdefault.jpg

Real talk, I haven't seen this movie yes but as far as I know, he's not invulnerable during the expanding process so he'd get squished if he tried that inside Hulk or Thor for example.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The ticker is flat out saying Civil War is happening after Antman, also the MCU timelineis still a bit confusing to me. Cross is supposed to be revealing the YJ suit later this week? It's already later this week.

Well Scott is still in prison, so the interview takes place before the events of the film.

chronos86

Reading BoxOffice.com's tracking reports is showing this falling way behind expectations so far. Advanced ticket sales for this weekend:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/86-the-box-office-buzz-tracking-thread/?p=2132030

GOTG was over 40% at this point, and TWS much higher as well.

It's looking like this is not going to be topping Minions weekend #2.

Latest update on that thread :

1. Minions - 30.5%
2. Ant-Man - 28%
3. Trainwreck  - 13.3%
4. Inside Out - 4.9%
5. Magic Mike XXL - 4.1%

LosDaddie

Banned
A lot of them, yeah. A few really know their technical stuff. The ones that usually focus on film theory are usually the better reviewers. Richard Brody for example.

Then you get shits like Devin Faraci who say movies like AoU have good cinematography and editing when it did not.

Ah, now I understand. You actually have some experience in the industry. No wonder you think you're an expert.

Ok, then what are your favourite movies? I'm guessing they're critically panned movies given the "usually" stance, right?

Generally, I favor blockbuster movie over Oscar-bait crap like Still Alice my wife drug me to. And I'm not afraid to admit it :)

I get the impression though that you don't like RT scores because you don't know how to refute criticism or how to take it in stride when it clashes with your own views. That seems more likely than you knowing more about film than people whose job is critiquing them (unless you actually are a filmmaker or in the industry in which case forget this entire paragraph).
Lol. One doesn't need to be a filmmaker or in the industry to appreciate and have an understanding of cinematography and editing.

guek

Banned
Lol. One doesn't need to be a filmmaker or in the industry to appreciate and have an understanding of cinematography and editing.

Not what I'm saying, though I can see how you came to that conclusion. That wasn't a general rule I was making and more directed specifically to that poster.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Hey, guys.

I have a question: is this movie gonna be enjoyable for my wife who is neither a Marvel fan or knowing much about the universe?

Thanks.
Jon

guek

Banned
Hey, guys.

I have a question: is this movie gonna be enjoyable for my wife who is neither a Marvel fan or knowing much about the universe?

Thanks.
Jon

Does your wife like ants? This is how you get her to like ants.

I haven't seen the movie so I have no idea. I'm just bored at work. Sorry to waste your time. Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle!

Saw it today. Good movie. Fun, lots of humor, interesting action. Love Rudd. Lilly <3.
Heist movie part was ok, but a long way from real heist movies.
I felt like 2nd act dragged a little.
Third act is good. For once it's something interesting and fun and not CGI-overload.
Cinematography looked really flat. Too bright a lot of the time. All those jokes about "looks like a TV Show" are pretty much true for this movie. And a lot of TV Shows look better than this.
As for the rankings, i didn't see all MCU movies, i will only rank those i've seen.

1) GoTG.
2) Iron Man.
3) Avengers/Ant Man.
4) Cap 2 (not a fan, action was awesome, as were Evans, ScarJo and Grillo, but plot takes nosedive halfway through and 3rd act is too much CGI explosions.)
5) Cap 1.
6) AoU.
7) Iron Man 2.
Hey, guys.

Thanks.
Jon
Yes, she should like it.

Just came back from it, quite an enjoyable ride, it doest do anything new nor does it even bother trying but it was pretty fun.

IMO much more cohesive and entertaining than Avengers 2

Also, cameo spoiler:
a guy that swings around and climbs walls is mentioned

Jarmel

Banned
Just got out. Easily on the higher end of the Marvel films. Feels much more cohesive than pretty much all the other films. There's a lot I can say that works really well and the script is the best of any of the MCU.

Problem is the direction and editing are average. Normally it might not be a big deal but when the rest of the film is fairly high, those weak points stand out. Editing at times feels fairly sloppy.

Loved it. So glad I didn't know much going in. Definitely one of the better Marvel movies and inventive.

^^agreed with Jarmel about the direction and editing, though it was mostly okay but the story and actors elevated up very high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom