• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man |OT| Is It Too Late To Change The Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Wright would have easily made this the best MCU film to date. Easily. It's already pretty high up there on the list but the editing during some of the dialogue is flat and sometimes the direction is fairly boring.

It also feels like Reed pretty much followed some of Wright's notes to the letter, which makes other parts of the film feel a bit off.

Wright would have easily made this the best MCU film to date. Easily. It's already pretty high up there on the list but the editing during some of the dialogue is flat and sometimes the direction is fairly boring.

It also feels like Reed pretty much followed some of Wright's notes to the letter, which makes other parts of the film a bit off.

this sounds both disappointing and exciting. i'm actually considering watching this on the weekend hmmm.....

Blader

Just got out, enjoyed it. Fun, funny movie, and agreed it's on the higher end of the Marvel spectrum. Rudd and Pena were great, I liked Lilly when she was allowed to have fun so hopefully there's less scowling Hope in the future.

Excellent fight scenes, some of the MCU's best action sequences to date. Ending shot was lol.

The audience absolutely blew up at
Falcon scenes, Hope getting the suit
and basically anything Michael Pena said.

I liked it quite a bit. Now I want to see some kind of Hank and Janet spy movie.

Post-credits scene:
so that's just a scene lifted out of Civil War right? I imagine it's not exclusively shot for Ant-Man and is actually part of CW as I guess Scott's intro into the story?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

It also feels like Reed pretty much followed some of Wright's notes to the letter, which makes other parts of the film feel a bit off.
It begins.

T'Zariah

Banned
Just got out the Theater. Pretty cool flick.

That after credits scene though. Holy fucking SHIT.

I'm so glad that didn't get spoiled. Whole theater went wild!

One part they blantantly lifted the test footage almost shot for shot. They're inviting the Wright comparisons.

Does anyone if Wright or Cornish did storyboards for the film or at least some of the action sequences?

considering he left before shooting was about to begin there had to have been storyboards finished, that was the rumor. and yeah that gun scene i saw in a clip was straight from the test footage. godly action scene imo.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/22/peyton-reed-has-edgar-wrights-storyboards-for-ant-man/

if that's the case then that's awesome, i thought that clip was pretty sweet.

and forreal i don't care how petty this sounds but what's so absurd about thinking wright would have brought more to this than the director of yes man? one guy has a very distinct style...the other guy made yes man. it's in the past now though, but considering some of the complaints in this thread are about the ehh editing (an area wright excelled at) and stuff then it invites the comparison yet again. whatever, the fact that they salvaged this movie into something good is surprising.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not even one of the better fights in the movie.

No it's not but some of the action sequences are so better staged and edited that they highlight how bad the editing during the dialogue sequences and some transitionary scenes are.

Prologue

I really enjoyed this, what a wonderful time. Great balance between child and adult humor and even the transition between tones towards the end. I was not expecting to laugh as much as I did, and even cried towards the end with my mother. Awesome special effects too and I thought the editing was great towards the end.

A little slow in the beginning, but a great ride. Definitely should be +80 on RT. Cast has wonderful chemistry and I would love to see more in the future.

Fuck guys. Fuck. The hype is so damn real. The HYPE. Is. So. Real.

I wasn't able to make it to my employee showing so I bought a ticket for 10:00. Showed it to the lady, refunded me and gave me my same seat.

Now with these impressions and the overall impressions of the post credits? Guys please. How good ARE the post credits?

if that's the case then that's awesome, i thought that clip was pretty sweet.

and forreal i don't care how petty this sounds but what's so absurd about thinking wright would have brought more to this than the director of yes man? one guy has a very distinct style...the other guy made yes man. it's in the past now though, but considering some of the complaints in this thread are about the ehh editing (an area wright excelled at) and stuff then it invites the comparison yet again. whatever, the fact that they salvaged this movie into something good is surprising.

It's been over a year since Wright's departure was announced. I think we're way past petty.

Dalek

"How was the movie?"

"It was great! A lot of fun! I got wrapped up with the story, and I loved the characters. They seemed to have great chemistry! The action scenes were so much fun! It was a really great time and I can't wait to see it again!"

"But, wait......

*narrows eyes*

...what about the cinematography?!"

evanmisha

Did anyone catch the name of
the actress who played Wasp
? It's clear as day
in the credits
but I was too hype and my wires got mad crossed.

It's been over a year since Wright's departure was announced. I think we're way past petty.

films with a production swap like this will always have this kind of discussion. it's happened with AI for years since Spielberg took over for Kubrick for ex.("what if...") i dunno how some of y'all find it baffling.

wright will be asked about it in interviews for a while too.

Dalek

Shiiiiiit.

Can someone fill me in?

You don't want to know because you'll be kicking yourself.

But seriously, it's 2015 and it's a Marvel Studios film. Stay after the credits! Always!

Half these Ant Man reviews I'm reading are harping on and on about Wright's superior version, like it's a thing that actually exists. JOURNALISM.

I know-it's really crazy. That is the majority of the knocks they're giving against the movie. What it could have been as opposed to judging the final product.

Caboose

Half these Ant Man reviews I'm reading are harping on and on about Wright's superior version, like it's a thing that actually exists. JOURNALISM.

Jarmel

Banned

Probably because you can tell the difference in direction quality at particular points in the film.

Yup. Would Wrights movie have been different? Probbaly. How different? Who knows. Would it be better? Maybe, maybe not.

It's silly to pick on the movie for what could have been rather than what it is.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just came back from it.

Loved it and my sister (who didn't really want to go see it) loved it even more than I did. If anyone isn't sure if you should see it in 3D, I suggest seeing the 3D version. All the shrinking scenes looked beautiful in 3D.

"How was the movie?"

"It was great! A lot of fun! I got wrapped up with the story, and I loved the characters. They seemed to have great chemistry! The action scenes were so much fun! It was a really great time and I can't wait to see it again!"

"But, wait......

*narrows eyes*

...what about the cinematography?!"

Ugh

Yup. Would Wrights movie have been different? Probbaly. How different? Who knows. Would it be better? Maybe, maybe not.

It's silly to pick on the movie for what could have been rather than what it is.

the thing is this is implying that reed and wright are at similar levels of talent lol, it's not really a lateral move so i don't think it's that uncertain. it's more like wondering if xmen 3 would have been better if singer stayed instead of ratner. i think it's more certain than you're saying. that's my two cents anyways. should prolly stop discussing this though i'm sure.

Probably because you can tell the difference in direction quality at particular points in the film.

You can't tell the difference because Wright never directed Ant Man.

You can compare it to his other work, but that's equally silly.

It's like saying in a review of Kingsman how much the lack of Quentin Tarantino's direction hurt it

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Give it to me. I'm not a comic book guy so I doubt I'll get it 100% anyway :p

Second end credit scene spoiler.

The Falcon and Captain America enter some kind of garage and see The Winter Soldier sitting on the ground. They say they won't tell Stark and then Falcon says, "I know a guy". I didn't really catch why they didn't want to tell Stark, though.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Call me crazy but I loved the villain. He was such a complete prick in every way...So hatable. Loved him.

Jarmel

Banned
You can't tell the difference because Wright never directed Ant Man.

You can compare it to his other work, but that's equally silly.

It's like saying in a review of Kingsman how much the lack of Quentin Tarantino's direction hurt it

Some of the jokes are so obviously Wright which is why I asked if he did storyboarding for the film. We know he lifted at least one scene straight from Wright's work.

films with a production swap like this will always have this kind of discussion. it's happened with AI for years since Spielberg took over for Kubrick for ex.("what if...") i dunno how some of y'all find it baffling.

wright will be asked about it in interviews for a while too.

I don't find it baffling, I find it silly in how people are already using every little thing to point out how much better it would have been under Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom