• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man and the WASP: Quantumania Reviews, as expected, it's depressing and unbearable

Bragr

Banned
HAXTNOE.jpg

“Ant-Man” comes up short in almost every other way that matters." - CNN, Brian Lowry.

"After an hour, a lot of the lesser MCU movies start to feel like green screen jail, for everyone on screen as well as the audience." - Chicago Tribune, Michael Phillips.

"Plotless and emotionless, the third installment of Ant-Man is a depressing example of what happens to art when special effects take over." - The Telegraph, Robbie Collin.

Mossybrew

Honestly I couldn't even finish the last two, Dr Strange and Thor movies - and this just looks like more of the same. CG overdose, lame attempts at humor, nothing that feels grounded or real or like it matters. I had mostly really enjoyed the MCU in the past but the whole scene has just become boring and predictable, exactly what "superhero" movies should NOT be.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I was all-in on the MCU in between Infinity War and Endgame. It wasn’t perfect but it was awesome.

I’ve been disillusioned for all of phase 4. I don’t even care what happens right now. Couldn’t even finish the last few films.

I suspect there are a lot of people like me. I am a hardcore fan of these worlds and characters and I can be won back, but it’s going to take a lot of change.
I’m burnt out on half-assed green-screen spectacle and cookie-cutter scripts.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Honestly I couldn't even finish the last two, Dr Strange and Thor movies - and this just looks like more of the same. CG overdose, lame attempts at humor, nothing that feels grounded or real or like it matters. I had mostly really enjoyed the MCU in the past but the whole scene has just become boring and predictable, exactly what "superhero" movies should NOT be.

Thor 4 honestly is one of the most unbearable cringemovies ive ever had to experience.

That’s a shame. This movie should have been titled “Kang: Origins” remove Ant-Man and they could easily have fit a much more interesting Kang origin story within 2 hours of footage, based on what I’ve read about the guy.

I'll be an outlier: I'm watching She Hulk and it's not that bad. I expected worse woke shit like Captain Marvel or Black Panther: W (so glad I didn't pay for that mess). Ant Man will be a great D+ flick.
Marvel is making the same mistake the CW did when they got the green light to make more DC shows after Arrow’s success: Stretching their writers, actors, artists, and directors too thin because they’re trying to make a video game-esque live service out of the property, by releasing new content too often and too soon.

I know people might state otherwise, but you could see the large attempts at executing a great creative vision with Arrow S1 and S2 and Flash S1 and S2 vs their later seasons where even the effects artists are just doing what they can to be “good enough”. Marvel is currently at that later seasons point. They really need to slow down.

Creativity simply can’t fully fit to a factory-level workflow. It’s a round peg square hole situation but it’s forced anyway.

BlackTron

What they accomplished between early Cap/Iron Man and Endgame is unbelievable, but there was no way to keep that pace up. It became a money printing machine and there was no way Disney was going to slow down and reign it in until it stopped working. They did the same thing with Star Wars, even admitting that they released too many movies too fast.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think there must be so many people that were very much MCU fans until End Game but have dropped right off the bandwagon since. Spider-Man was good and some of the TV has been a fun ride, but the cinema output has been almost entirely a string of disappointments that have failed to establish anything remotely interesting since EG. I haven't seen Wakanda Forever, so that is currently exempt from opinion.

People laughed at me in another Marvel thread, but the MCU can't be sustainable at the current pace. Once they run out of the few noteworthy characters they have left, they're fucked if they don't bring in new ones. X-Men and Fantastic Four as #1 focus might be their "Break glass in case of emergency" move. God knows the current Avengers line up isn't worthy of carrying a franchise.

Bragr

Banned
I don't think you can overstate how important it was to have Iron Man and Captain America, not only were they well cast with good actors and people loved them, but it's the sort of superheroes that people want to watch on the big screen.

They grounded the Marvel experience, now it's so wacky and out of control that every movie seems to have 30 different dimensions and 6 cameos and alternate storylines that only superfans know or give a fuck about.

Frankly, Kang's being this time-travel guy sucks. It's corny fantasy powers, it's cheating because you can always just bend the rules back and forth.

Now the Marvel universe is gonna do the "bigger and better" bullshit, where every bad guy has to have more powers than the last, and the heroes need to perform more and more fancy special effects than the one previously.

It was a lot more interesting to watch Tony Stark build his suit and fight bad guys.

TonyK

MCU from Iron Man to Endgame has been one of the most enjoyable cinematographic sagas of all time. After killing or ridicule their main heroes, one of the most disappointing 😪

TheCed

Chris Evan's and RDJ's departures clearly left a Void that has yet to be filled.

I'm sure Chadwick Boseman was meant to be one of the big faces of the MCU.
Cancer sucks

It is however true that their content hasent been as appealing as it used to be.

Indeed.

All their output post Endgame has been absolutely garbage with the exception of Loki.
I'd say the first half of Shang Chi was great.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I think there must be so many people that were very much MCU fans until End Game but have dropped right off the bandwagon since.

I think they have been slowly losing the casual base with each movie since. Eventually stans in influencers get shown up so many times that the casual audience stops listening to them as they say everything is still good, when it's not.

FireFly

Seems like the reviews are finally describing MCU movies for what they actually are. Cynical copy paste storylines with shallow characters and television-rate action and CGI. MCU lacks the spectacle and heart of cinema.
I don't think Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain America: The Winter Soldier lacked spectacle or heart. Nor IMO Spider-Man: No Way Home, though it depended more on cameos. And even Shang-Chi introduced new ideas in a competent way.

The issue is that post phase 3, the new films are becoming directionless.

Fuck you reviewers, I'm still watching it for my man crush Rudd.

Yes the MCU has been shite for the most part after endgame and I either don't watch or turn it off midday through a movie e.g. what the hell was that latest Thor movie? You just knew after all the household names like Ironman, Cap, Hulk etc were done it was going downhill.

Kacho

Gold Member
I think there must be so many people that were very much MCU fans until End Game but have dropped right off the bandwagon since. Spider-Man was good and some of the TV has been a fun ride, but the cinema output has been almost entirely a string of disappointments that have failed to establish anything remotely interesting since EG. I haven't seen Wakanda Forever, so that is currently exempt from opinion.

People laughed at me in another Marvel thread, but the MCU can't be sustainable at the current pace. Once they run out of the few noteworthy characters they have left, they're fucked if they don't bring in new ones. X-Men and Fantastic Four as #1 focus might be their "Break glass in case of emergency" move. God knows the current Avengers line up isn't worthy of carrying a franchise.
I have zero faith in Marvel to do X-Men and Fantastic Four justice. It’s going to be a bunch of race/gender swap nonsense.

Esca

I really enjoy antman, I really good this doesn't suck but that's been the case with mcu since endgame really

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you had told me a decade ago that Disney would buy Marvel & Star Wars and literally destroy them, I wouldn't have believe you
I mean the first couple of years they did good with Marvel and....the Force Awakens wasn't too bad.
But damn.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Can we do avatar bets? I want to make one. I predict, after 350 reviews, this movie will have 43% on RT

Jaybe

Wow, terrible reviews. Lowest rated one aside from the abysmal Eternals. Still some more reviews left to be counted, so there may yet be a new champion.

There are no stakes in the MCU now. Character dead, sad, don’t worry here’s another of them from the multiverse. Things are fucked and there’s no way out, just time travel. Lacking charismatic stars, lacking quality writing, spreading the story threads thin in so many strands that no one cares to follow. Everything’s purpose is to set up the next thing. New villain and big threat was a lame Willy Wonka impersonation to cap off a goofy show that poked fun and belittled the title character the whole way. Having read the spoilers for Quantumania, it’s point seems to have just filled space to lead into a TV show.

Top Bottom