• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man and the WASP: Quantumania Reviews, as expected, it's depressing and unbearable

Cyberpunkd

I hope this is the beginning of the end of super hero movies. Worst phase in cinema since there are movies.
Agreed. Nuke it from orbit.

james cameron aliens GIF

Let’s not forget the obligatory bullshit teaser during the credit sequence, wouldn’t be an MCU movie without it.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
It just boggles the mind that this is the same company that brought us Captain America: Winter Soldier and the original Iron Man. Some of the early Netflix stuff was also excellent - Daredevil and The Punisher. What they did to Thor was simply unforgivable.

I suspect in the not to distant future this film period will be rightly considered total and utter cringe.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have a friend that enjoyed it, but apart from the odd post ITT as well, the positive feedback is few and far between. The MCU public funeral preparations seem to be well underway, the mood is the same everywhere right now

JCK75

My 10 year old son watched it Saturday..
he said it was OK..
I take it this means it was more entertaining than the 2nd as when I took him to that he wanted to leave halfway through.

AGRacing

It's tough to be intimidated by a villain you've seen beaten twice... But I guess the fact that there are so many of them is a big deal. Guardians has always been the favorite for me so maybe that one could be the big phase hook.

I'll give Quantumania high marks because It was a good one to take my kid to..
And it WAS a good one for the kid because..

A) I didn't see any eye rolling heavy handed woke garbage in it.
B) See A.

Blade2.0

It wasn't horrendous, but it also wasn't good.

Also there's a massive plot hole that I have yet to see explained.
Wasn't Scott in the Quantumverse for like 5 years between antman 2 and endgame? Why didn't he know about any of this shit beforehand?

Ulysses 31

Wasn't Scott in the Quantumverse for like 5 years between antman 2 and endgame? Why didn't he know about any of this shit beforehand?
The Quantum realm raises other questions like how does it have breathable air, gravity, an ecosystem etc. Is the quantum realm made out of micro molecules itself? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Blade2.0

The Quantum realm raises other questions like how does it have breathable air, gravity, an ecosystem etc. Is the quantum realm made out of micro molecules itself? :messenger_winking_tongue:
true, it also doesn't answer why
hope's mom was cool with sending Scott to the quantum realm when she knew Kang was fucking down there at the end of antman 2 but freaked out when they sent a signal.

FireFly

Scott was only subjectively there for a few hours. Obviously it raises the question of why time seems to pass differently in Quantumania, which they mention in the movie but handwave over.

Blade2.0

Scott was only subjectively there for a few hours. Obviously it raises the question of why time seems to pass differently in Quantumania, which they mention in the movie but handwave over.
Yes, but then that also doesn't make sense why hope's mom spent 30 real years there. I guess you're supposed to just say "it's the quantum realm"

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yes, but then that also doesn't make sense why hope's mom spent 30 real years there. I guess you're supposed to just say "it's the quantum realm"

In my head canon, there's different levels of the Quantum Realm. Some levels where time flows faster or slower... Other levels that have humanoid life where time flows normally. Remember how different the QR looked in Ant-Man 1 to Ant-Man 2 and now to Ant-Man 3? Look at the end of Ant-Man 2 again... It doesn't look the same as Quantumania... Different level.

Blade2.0

In my head canon, there's different levels of the Quantum Realm. Some levels where time flows faster or slower... Other levels that have humanoid life where time flows normally. Remember how different the QR looked in Ant-Man 1 to Ant-Man 2 and now to Ant-Man 3? Look at the end of Ant-Man 2 again... It doesn't look the same as Quantumania... Different level.
Just wish they had some basic rules in place for it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I looked up his filmography- never seen any of this stuff. But nothing really stands out there.

Well, Creed 3 is coming out soon... You can check that out. Last Black Man in San Francisco is also available on streaming... Devoted is on Paramount+ as well... I already know you won't want to watch his HBO show so I won't suggest it.

Well, Creed 3 is coming out soon... You can check that out. Last Black Man in San Francisco is also available on streaming... Devoted is on Paramount+ as well... I already know you won't want to watch his HBO show so I won't suggest it.
None of those shows are in Australia. And if you’re talking about Lovecraft Country - 7.1 on IMDB so not worth risking my time on the show. Creed 3 - I dropped the first Creed 30 minutes in so I don’t see myself watching 2 or 3.

Bragr

Banned
What genre do you guys want to pop off next?

I kind of miss comedies. 80 for Brady made me realize there is this huge gaping hole.
Yeah, it's bizarre how a genre like comedies essentially died out.

The last good comedy I can remember was this one:

5F1714FE25B9C5E1B347CEFEB663E1ABDDCBFE09

Jayjayhd34

From someone who enjoyed most of tv shows and most recent movies this was awful. Just couldn’t imagine it being as bad as people where making out to be. Boy was I wrong indeed this has definitely put me of going to future marvel films. Just going wait till there on Disney plus.

nush

The gimmick of going big and small isn't impressive when shown in the context of an alien world made in a computer. Of course you can do that when it all looks like a videogame surrounded by creatures with special abilities. Also the alien world is just more rainbow vomit. Size changing in the real world where you can't do that is impressive. Ant man in himself isn't an interesting character, but that's all you are left with.

HoodWinked

MODOK looked terrible and I'm not even talking about the meme face, he looked like something out of last gen unreal engine. Also this movie had the worst version of this baddie is super powerful but he suddenly depowers because of plot. MODOK and Kang were turning people to dust then in the next scene they fight Ant Man and they suddenly forget they did that and become completely inept, worse is they would do this in the span of a couple minutes so it's just insulting to your intelligence. Multiple times Kang somehow is able to anticipate shrunken versions of Antman and Wasp and bat them away but wouldn't just vaporize them it's like they didn't storyboard any of this shit.

GRM2509_comp_DDO_v0064.1043.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The actress that played ant man’s kid was changed and I don’t know why. Also what is the thing when girls always show their 2 front teeth when they rest their face or have pursed lips.

Bragr

Banned
MODOK and Kang were turning people to dust then in the next scene they fight Ant Man and they suddenly forget they did that and become completely inept, worse is they would do this in the span of a couple minutes so it's just insulting to your intelligence.
These movies are built for action scenes first and foremost. Plot has always been this thin, it's just more noticeable when they do absurd sci-fi stories because it stands out.

That's why these movies are so annoying, there is a legion of fans with underdeveloped abilities when it comes to noticing stupidity in movies. Some of them are on this forum.

These movies are built for action scenes first and foremost. Plot has always been this thin, it's just more noticeable when they do absurd sci-fi stories because it stands out.

That's why these movies are so annoying, there is a legion of fans with underdeveloped abilities when it comes to noticing stupidity in movies. Some of them are on this forum.
Very well said.

I already thought endgame was meh because it focused too much on character Fanservice and CGI explosions over storytelling, but maybe that's just me. I enjoyed the Marvel origin movies

BlackTron

From someone who enjoyed most of tv shows and most recent movies this was awful. Just couldn’t imagine it being as bad as people where making out to be. Boy was I wrong indeed this has definitely put me of going to future marvel films. Just going wait till there on Disney plus.

I still haven't seen it, really demotivated. They are striking out on almost every try post-endgame, and for me this movie was the tipping point in deciding whether I still even pay attention. Let's face it, in a post-cap/Iron-man world, all eyes were on them, and Disney responded with the same "manufacture on a conveyor belt ASAP" they did with Star Wars.

I usually wait until I at least see a movie but with MCU's track record and the discussion around it. No thanks.

Imagine watching Disney make some sort of cinematic accomplishment and letting it stand in pride for a while without spamming ten crappy follow-up films that dilute the brand. It seems as soon as they do anything right it must be mass produced at top speed the very next day.

BlackTron

Endgame was straight garbage. Infinity War left me speechless in a good way

Endgame only worked only as a really long ending to Infinity War. It helped that I didn't watch IW until only a few months before Endgame came out; I didn't have so long to "ponder the next movie". It wasn't another movie, it was a 3 hour over long ending to IW. And it shows, it was originally called Infinity War Part 2.

As one complete unit, IW+Endgame are good. If you take Endgame and compare it directly to IW as separate movies, it sucks. If you took the ending to any book, chopped it off and made it its own long thing, it would suck.

Jaybe

They should just make Kang a comedic foil, like the guy that’s thinks he’s a mega-villain but every version of him continues to be dusted, like a storm trooper with more lines. Write in a new baddie that just ways waste to him and the multiverse and moves on.

In box office news, Quantumania continues its disastrous run with a 1.7 million 2nd Monday, a massive Sunday to Monday and prior Monday to Monday drop. It edged out Cocaine Bear by only $69K.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They should just make Kang a comedic foil, like the guy that’s thinks he’s a mega-villain but every version of him continues to be dusted, like a storm trooper with more lines. Write in a new baddie that just ways waste to him and the multiverse and moves on.

The way they've gone with Kang was a massive mistake. I don't care that there are infinite versions of him. If I see a villain repeatedly getting murdered on screen, I'm not going to think he's much of a threat. They should have had one Kang who can cross between universes, laying waste to everything. A character that can just pop up, slaughter, then disappear to another reality would have been far scarier.

Not surprised the box office continues to plummet. The film is piss.

sinnergy

It’s not that bad , Thor movies are much worse imo, particularly Ragnarok. This was entertaining at best 6.5 / 7 range , didn’t feel like throwing money away . Pfeifer is still hot 🥵

Top Bottom