• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man and the WASP: Quantumania Reviews, as expected, it's depressing and unbearable

So, who had the movie about the coked up bear outgrossing the first movie of a new MCU phase within the first two weeks of it releasing?

Anyone?

Multiverse shattering event. Nice. Keving will not be able to spin this.

uS5hwyJ.gif

Hayabusa83

Banned
I cringe at the media shills trying to sell him as if he is the best thing to ever happen to Hollywood.

No different than the WWE. Nothing is organic in the entertainment industry anymore. You must be hand selected and stamped for approval by all the focus groups.

Kev Kev

Reviews are worthless. The only MCU films/TV shows I genuinely haven't enjoyed are Captain Marvel and She-Hulk, and maybe Ms. Marvel. Everything else has been great. Looking forward to checking this out when it's streaming.

Azurro

Banned
No different than the WWE. Nothing is organic in the entertainment industry anymore. You must be hand selected and stamped for approval by all the focus groups.

Yup, they kept name dropping that guy's name in every interview, and I'm just thinking, who the hell is this John mayors or whatever his name is. The focus groups must have thought they found a great "modern day audience" "star" actor.

Pilgrimzero

Finally caught the film.

It was... fine. Like most of the last few films. Watchable at least once. Eh. Kang just isn't the Thanos level threat they want to push. If that's what they are going for...

Black Widow and Eternals was better. I found Shang Chi boring. Doc Strange's film was.. eh. Thor L/T had some big issues. the new BP lacked having a BP, which I guess was the point.

Everything has been fairly mid. Except for Spidy. All 3 Spidys in one film! The classic villians! Loved it.

I have hopes for Marvels and the new Cap A films. I hear GotG 3 is really good so hopefully thats the break in the lull.

MCU needs to get the F4 and X-Men out stat to get people fired up. The B-list crew isn't going to cut it.

Trunx81

Especially if you watch all three Ant-Man movies in a row, you´ll notice the sudden change in style and humor. Someone please punch Marvel for the decision to use one of the weakest Avengers to introduce us to the new "big bad".

Also, Murray was sooo wasted in this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I thought it was aggressively mediocre. It had none of the proper set-up for Kang, mostly just Pfifers whispered "he's bad" while Kang himself seemed entirely reasonable. MODOK, JFC, but at least he had an arc. Tossing three CLASSIC, but now old and tired, actors into a giant green screen bubble for an extended scene was a HUGE mistake. The fawning over the buff chick, again, the respect wasn't earned. No real sense of threat, no attempt to give us an appreciation of the stakes, and a third act video game scene climactic battle that made no sense.

The CG was at least fairly clean and appropriately colorful, I bet some parts were quite cool in IMAX, maybe even 3D. But coming off GOTG3 and watching a few of the Avengers films right before, this one is a solid C/C+ placeholder. Certainly not a great trilogy resolution for Ant-man. He is far too one note of a character to sustain films of this magnitude and the quantumverse as a concept just doesn't hold much interest for me.

Amiga

Good IMOO.

The issue with the MCU is that they feel like TV episodes not standalone Blockbuster movies.

Top Bottom