• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Financial Day 2020 [OT] PS. 5 Goddamn Hours Long

Old Empire.

RNDA2 is just Navi2 design. We still don’t know the compute units and the clock of the PS5 GPU..

Microsoft to strike 12 teraflops- the CU count 52 to 56 with likely clock/time speed of 1700MHz to 1800MHz.

If the CU count less for PS5 they went with a cheaper GPU to keep the price down to 400 dollars?

Least we know now both consoles are using zen 2 technology. Sony wasn’t caught off guard. The sole reason Sony console possesses less power ( if true) is the price point different.

Taken from the other side
eVPjWC0.jpg

I would like to see all the mental gymnastics now.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yes they did.
They even put a pic of PS5 on RDNA 2 slide.
No they didn't. Show me where they said ps5 is using RDNA2.

He said "the next generation consoles will use our latest zen technology and use our latest RDNA technology as well"

In a court of law this would not necessary be proof that the PS5 is using RDNA2, I thinking it's highly likely that he does mean that the PS5 is using RDNA2, but that is different to a confirmation.

BeardGawd

Banned
Taken from the other side
eVPjWC0.jpg

I would like to see all the mental gymnastics now.

We are all guessing. RDNA2 also lists VRS. Has that been confirmed for PS5?

And besides I would bet money that when they refer to RDNA1 vs RDNA2 on these slides they are talking about PC GPUs. Meaning No RDNA1 PC GPU will have hardware based Ray Tracing. That is a RDNA2 exclusive for PC GPUs. These GPUs in consoles can be custom. Just like PS4's GPU took pieces from future technologies.

Last edited:

Entroyp

At this point I’m more fascinated with the people who won’t believe PS5 is RDN2, even after AMD just said so, than with the actual conference. Let’s see what they will come up with next. (Grabs pop corn)

No they did not confirm the ps5 GPU is using RDNA2, you are arguing about the most stupid shit.

It's not confirmed but it's highly likely when we take into account what has been said in these presentations.

Deal with it.

It's true that in the semantics of it, Sony haven't actually confirmed it. But they haven't really confirmed a lot about PS5 in general lately so it can't be helped.

That said I'm just gonna assume they were insinuating PS5 when they said consoles because it's the only other one which has been officially acknowledged by AMD previously besides XSX, IIRC. All we know of Lockhart currently is that it probably exists, and a few rumored specs. Maybe an APU that could be Lockhart that's been found, but it's a lot less in terms of confirmed stuff for PS5 let alone XSX.

But, Lockhart will most likely certainly be RDNA2 as well, so again on semantics maybe some people could take all the "consoles" talk and infer as Series X and Series S, if they wanted. There's nothing outright stopping them from doing that, but I'd see it as a pessimistic take and I wanna be optimistic with this kind of stuff for both MS and Sony going into next-gen (while still having realistic expectations of course). I just personally don't think that and feel they were referring to XSX and PS5. And while they both will be using RDNA2, they could both have some customized takes on it, sharing a lot of the same foundation. But enough shared to both be considered using RDNA2 RT.

Honestly it doesn't really debunk anything we've heard or seen from PS5 up to now except the idea it won't have RDNA2, because I always thought it crazy they would go with RT as a separate die, not use VRS or other RDNA2 features. Actually, I guess today's news ALSO debunks the idea RDNA2 is 7nm EUV, but that came as a surprise honestly. Didn't think RDNA2 itself was strictly 7nm. Almost curious to ask if the systems will have some RDNA3 features customized to their APUs...

Sosokrates

It's true that in the semantics of it, Sony haven't actually confirmed it. But they haven't really confirmed a lot about PS5 in general lately so it can't be helped.

That said I'm just gonna assume they were insinuating PS5 when they said consoles because it's the only other one which has been officially acknowledged by AMD previously besides XSX, IIRC. All we know of Lockhart currently is that it probably exists, and a few rumored specs. Maybe an APU that could be Lockhart that's been found, but it's a lot less in terms of confirmed stuff for PS5 let alone XSX.

But, Lockhart will most likely certainly be RDNA2 as well, so again on semantics maybe some people could take all the "consoles" talk and infer as Series X and Series S, if they wanted. There's nothing outright stopping them from doing that, but I'd see it as a pessimistic take and I wanna be optimistic with this kind of stuff for both MS and Sony going into next-gen (while still having realistic expectations of course). I just personally don't think that and feel they were referring to XSX and PS5. And while they both will be using RDNA2, they could both have some customized takes on it, sharing a lot of the same foundation. But enough shared to both be considered using RDNA2 RT.

Honestly it doesn't really debunk anything we've heard or seen from PS5 up to now except the idea it won't have RDNA2, because I always thought it crazy they would go with RT as a separate die, not use VRS or other RDNA2 features. Actually, I guess today's news ALSO debunks the idea RDNA2 is 7nm EUV, but that came as a surprise honestly. Didn't think RDNA2 itself was strictly 7nm. Almost curious to ask if the systems will have some RDNA3 features customized to their APUs...

That's why its more accurate to say what amd has said makes it highly likely that the PS5 is using RDNA2, the semantics is the butthurt Sony fanboy who is throwing a hissy fit because I didn't say it was "confirmed", well kratos avatar guy you need to relax because it isn't fconfirmed.

THE:MILKMAN

Did AMD say "PS5 will use RDNA2"
No they did not. They used language strongly suggesting it, but that is not a confirmation.

The direct quote was:

"We're on the cusp of the next generation. So the next generation consoles will use our latest Zen technology, use our latest RDNA technology aswell. Really creating this really immersive experience with ray-tracing, 3d audio and fast load times to really excite a new generation of gamers."

If you don't accept that includes PS5 then you would also have to accept it doesn't include XSX.

I think both are RDNA 2 but because Sony haven't revealed yet AMD are dancing around with the wording so as to not step on their toes.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No it's not. It's not "confirmed" until Sony or a partner says "ps5 is using RDNA2"
Just curious. Can Sony have Raytracing and not have RDNA 2? Are they mutually inclusive? It's a serious question, I actually don't know.

I would have assume that you could, because NVidia has raytracing now, but that's a different brand and I assume that doesn't apply to AMD

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Just re-watch the damn video and stop wasting everyones time. :pie_eyeroll:

Your the one wasting time, I said what AMD has said makes it highly likely that the PS5 is using RDNA2.
I did not say "confirmed" because it has not be confirm, learn English god dam it.

ethomaz

Banned
No they didn't. Show me where they said ps5 is using RDNA2.

He said "the next generation consoles will use our latest zen technology and use our latest RDNA technology as well"

In a court of law this would not necessary be proof that the PS5 is using RDNA2, I thinking it's highly likely that he does mean that the PS5 is using RDNA2, but that is different to a confirmation.
There is not just one but somehow dozen of times they confirmed it.

Old Empire.

That's why its more accurate to say what amd has said makes it highly likely that the PS5 is using RDNA2, the semantics is the butthurt Sony fanboy who is throwing a hissy fit because I didn't say it was "confirmed", well kratos avatar guy you need to relax because it isn't fconfirmed.

AMD has no 7nm die with hardware ray technology out right now.

GPU 7nm GPU die coming out with hardware ray technology is the Navi 2 series of GPUS. So its 100 percent confirmed Sony GPU semi custom die is RDNA2.

Sosokrates

The direct quote was:

If you don't accept that includes PS5 then you would also have to accept it doesn't include XSX.

I think both are RDNA 2 but because Sony haven't revealed yet AMD are dancing around with the wording so as to not step on their toes.

I do accept it means the PS5 but there is a tiny chance that it does not, which is why I say "highly likely" rather then "confirmed", because it is not confirmed.

I'm right here and this would not of been a issue if bitbydeath bitbydeath had not of been upset that I'm not going to use the incorrect language to describe something.

Sosokrates

AMD also showed the back of the XSX,

So using some logic here they "confirmed" the ports of the xsx, but guess what, they were wrong.
So they didn't confirm shit.

I do accept it means the PS5 but there is a tiny chance that it does not, which is why I say "highly likely" rather then "confirmed", because it is not confirmed.

I'm right here and this would not of been a issue if bitbydeath bitbydeath had not of been upset that I'm not going to use the incorrect language to describe something.

I mean if you want to be so strict about it then have at it. I'm sure both SoCs will have other custom bits we can really argue over for the next 7 years so not all is lost!

Old Empire.

Just curious. Can Sony have Raytracing and not have RDNA 2? Are they mutually inclusive? It's a serious question, I actually don't know.

I would have assume that you could, because NVidia has raytracing now, but that's a different brand and I assume that doesn't apply to AMD

Yes, supported ray tracing possible on high performance AMD chips. Not native on the GPUs out now.. AMD said both consoles out in 2020 has hardware ray tracing natively on the chip. Only possible with Navi 2 ( RDNA2)

Sosokrates

I mean if you want to be so strict about it then have at it. I'm sure both SoCs will have other custom bits we can really argue over for the next 7 years so not all is lost!

Im not being strictly about it, I did not have a problem with ppl saying confirmed if they want, it was bitbydeath bitbydeath who said I was wrong when I described the ps5 using RDNA2 as "highly likely". Like I'm saying a positive thing for the ps5 but he still has a problem with it, wtf.

I take it you like Xbox more right?

Im not being strictly about it, I did not have a problem with ppl saying confirmed if they want, it was bitbydeath bitbydeath who said I was wrong when I described the ps5 using RDNA2 as "highly likely". Like I'm saying a positive thing for the ps5 but he still has a problem with it, wtf.

Dude you are just trolling, and wasting time. Any logical person can see it's confirmed. go smoke a blunt and calm yourself down, everything is gonna be ok.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Dude you are just trolling and wasting time. any logical person can see it's confirmed. go smoke a blunt and calm yourself down, everything is gonna be ok.

This is not like the other place, fanboy pile on's don't work.
U guys need to calm down and not whine about somone not conforming to your incorrect use of language, I was not the one who instigated this, bitbydeath bitbydeath was the one who originally quoted me and was all upset.

Last edited:

I think what is confusing (and triggering) is that you are arguing the case because they don't specifically say PS5 but they also don't specifically say XSX either....

I just don't see the point in fighting over it like this over the word 'confirmed'. It isn't confirmed the Sun will rise in the morning but I think it will!

Top Bottom