• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Both XSX and PS5 RDNA2 based and have Hardware RT

HolyTruth

Banned
So according to your weird logic, AMD is also making an assumption... And they're wrong about their own product.
PMhQbjB.png

s2MLtQg.jpg

Your lies keep getting exposed.

cc: @SoloKingRobert

many do they use different Words if both is the same though? I mean it’s even the same slide deck.
If it’s the same they should keep it konsistent.

Md Ray

many do they use different Words if both is the same though? I mean it’s even the same slide deck.
HW-accelerated RT and HW-based RT are the same thing. So there's nothing wrong with using both these phrase and those slides are from the same conference as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ask yourself this then... what it would even mean if the two terms were different since they are used to describe RDNA2 RT in the same slide deck?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
we now can be pretty sure that the 1.7ghz 12TF one is actually the SX, which wasn't as easy to directly tie to Microsoft because it didn't have back compat tests (might not need it).
so we can then expect the other one, which is easily linked to Sony to also be accurate to a degree.
Uh...for Arden/Series X it was if you've been following all this close. This is before the github bomb.

Xbox insider hmqgg for one.

What's extremely odd tho is there's so many things that definitely point to Oberon being PS5, but not as many that point to Arden being Series X.

Even tho going by github data, both line up to be the respective consoles.

Your post almost sounds like those saying they knew Oberon was RDNA 2 before the AMD stream.

Last edited:

demigod

Uh...for Arden/Series X it was if you've been following all this close. This is before the github bomb.

What's extremely odd tho is there's so many things that definitely point to Oberon being PS5, but not as many that point to Arden being Series X.

Your post almost sounds like those saying they knew Oberon was RDNA 2 before the AMD stream.

Was Arden confirmed by anyone besides hmgqq? After all he got rdna 1 wrong.

jroc74

Was Arden confirmed by anyone besides hmgqq? After all he got rdna 1 wrong.
That's the point, lol.

Him, maybe someone from the usual github is gospel crew.

We have been working with totally questionable data from the jump. Not saying Arden wasn't Series X, just that folks have separated Arden and Oberon early on. Github just added tf to both, along with some other things.

It's all crazy now. Thanks to AMD.

Platforms, lets see how y’all spin it this time.

“With that, you will greatly simplify the content development – developers can develop on one platform and easily port it to the other platform. This will definitely help speed up the adoption [of ray tracing].”

Note that the plural of ‘consoles’ is used, suggesting that both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will make use of AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture.

Port for thought
The fact that Wang talks about porting from one platform to the other – presumably meaning across both consoles, given the context of the statement – further reinforces the suggestion of the PS5 coming with RDNA 2 running through its GPU veins.
Key words in this thread.

"suggesting", "implying", "inferring", "assuming", "likely", "presumably".

Never change

Banned

we didn't know Oberon was RDNA2 because its first iteration was clearly not.
the thing is especially in the console side of things, architecture is a very loose thing. these strict set of features that they indicate in the PC space are not necessarily the same in the console space.

Oberon could have been RDNA1 with all the important features of RDNA2 and as a consumer the only real difference you'd most likely see is that the console draws less power with RDNA2.

it also was a possibility to have the first models run with an RDNA1 chip and later revisions switching to RDNA2. it wouldn't have been the first time revisions would use a highly revised hardware setup.
for example, the Xbox 360 FAT had separate CPU and GPU chips, it didn't have an APU like moden consoles because back then that was very uncommon still.
BUT the Xbox 360 S switched to an APU in order to be cheaper and more efficient.

and the reason there is not as many things pointing to the Series X in the leaks is because Microsoft does backwards compatibility differently with more of a software focus and less of a direct hardware one, which was necessary since the Xbox One X had such a drastically different hardware setup than the base Xbox One... GDDR5 instead of DDR3 + eSRAM, way more CUs, way higher clock speeds etc.
that's the exact reason their backwards compatibility team literally tested every single game one by one to make sure everything runs fine.
right now they're doing the same with the SX which is why the stopped adding more 360 and og Xbox games to the program, all their focus now is on everything that runs on Xbox One to be compatible day 1 on SX.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

hmqgg is no Xbox insider. He was at some point a GDC insider. He said both consoles are using RDNA1.

Given the context it would be better to assume they don't want to just repeat themselves on every slides.

Unless you think that everything that runs on hardware in what we normally consider "software mode" can be called "hardware based" because every piece of software ever runs on some piece of hardware, the difference is that some hardware has dedicated transistors to ensure some specific operations are performed much more efficiently (fast and low energy)... Nobody would say "hardware based" in a sense that is equal to "software mode", that makes no sense.

jroc74

we didn't know Oberon was RDNA2 because its first iteration was clearly not.
the thing is especially in the console side of things, architecture is a very loose thing. these strict set of features that they indicate in the PC space are not necessarily the same in the console space.

Oberon could have been RDNA1 with all the important features of RDNA2 and as a consumer the only real difference you'd most likely see is that the console draws less power with RDNA2.

it also was a possibility to have the first models run with an RDNA1 chip and later revisions switching to RDNA2. it wouldn't have been the first time revisions would use a highly revised hardware setup.
for example, the Xbox 360 FAT had separate CPU and GPU chips, it didn't have an APU like moden consoles because back then that was very uncommon still.
BUT the Xbox 360 S switched to an APU in order to be cheaper and more efficient.

and the reason there is not as many things pointing to the Series X in the leaks is because Microsoft does backwards compatibility differently with more of a software focus and less of a direct hardware one, which was necessary since the Xbox One X had such a drastically different hardware setup than the base Xbox One... GDDR5 instead of DDR3 + eSRAM, way more CUs, way higher clock speeds etc.
that's the exact reason their backwards compatibility team literally tested every single game one by one to make sure everything runs fine.
right now they're doing the same with the SX which is why the stopped adding more 360 and og Xbox games to the program, all their focus now is on everything that runs on Xbox One to be compatible day 1 on SX.

I can understand all that was a possibility. I was just addressing that Arden wasn't known to be Series X until the github info was plastered everywhere. Oberon and Arden been linked to they're respective platforms well before that. Github results gave them both tf amounts, among other things.
hmqgg is no Xbox insider. He was at some point a GDC insider. He said both consoles are using RDNA1.

Didn't realize they weren't an Xbox insider. That's interesting. Yeah, he clearly got that wrong.

Last edited:

Banned
I can understand all that was a possibility. I was just addressing that Arden wasn't known to be Series X until the github info was plastered everywhere. Oberon and Arden been linked to they're respective platforms well before that. Github results gave them both tf amounts, among other things.

Didn't realize they weren't an Xbox insider. That's interesting. Yeah, he clearly got that wrong.

well when there are 2 APUs appearing, both from AMD, both very much console like and one of them is clearly linked to sony, there isn't much left to link the other one to :)

also the github leak didn't technically have a TF number for the Series X, 12TF was just a speculation based on typical clock speeds (1.7ghz)
the Oberon tests had clock speeds attached which is why we had that 9.2TF figure

and also, I could easily see early dev kits for both using RDNA1 chips, so it's hard to rule out insider info based on that. especially since RDNA2 doesn't seem to be a super huge improvement over RDNA1.
because again, features like RayTracing and VRS are not really part of RDNA2, they are part of their roadmap and many RDNA2 PC cards will have these features, but I would not be surprised if AMD releases low end or mid range RDNA2 cards with no RayTracing hardware, just like Nvidia sells their GTX1660, which just like their RTX20 raytracing cards uses their newest architecture (Turing) but has none of its new more notable features like raytracing or tensor cores.

if you see their Raytracing hardware as a separate piece, which it essentially will be most likely, then what RDNA2 really is is just a more efficiently running version of RDNA1
so using early RDNA1 approximations of their target specs for early dev kits is a highly likely scenario... there have been weirder early dev kits for game consoles like the Apple Mac PCs used as early Xbox 360 dev kits

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
well when there are 2 APUs appearing, both from AMD, both very much console like and one of them is clearly linked to sony, there isn't much left to link the other one to :)

also the github leak didn't technically have a TF number for the Series X, 12TF was just a speculation based on typical clock speeds (1.7ghz)
the Oberon tests had clock speeds attached which is why we had that 9.2TF figure
Actually it was based in 56CUs plus 1725Mhz memory clock mistook by core clock lol

The is nothing in GitHub leak that link to any MS official specs for Xbox One Series X.

Last edited:

Banned
Actually it was based in 56CUs plus 1725Mhz memory clock mistook by core clock lol

The is nothing in GitHub leak that link to any MS official specs for Xbox One Series X.

well we don't have any official specs for the Series X, we have the architectures and we have the peak floating point performance for the GPU, we have zero idea how that GPU is reaching that goal nor how the cpu side looks like

Banned
We don’t have official specs for the PS5 either, so...

well yeah, just saying, we had an APU that can reach 12TF at typical clocks and Microsoft announced 12TF so that seems to check out quite ok.
we had another that's clearly linked to sony, we just need to wait and see what Sony will reveal and if the leaks were close to the final picture or not.

I'm not arguing for anything I'm just trying to keep it real because frankly all that vague insider shit and playing dumb puzzles over images or gifs and timestamps in videos that some insiders post around is just getting old and getting us nowhere.

and I hope Sony will stop their silence soon so we can move on.
I like speculating about specs and possible hardware goals and shit but when it drags on for so long and gets out of hand a lot like it does now it's just not that fun anymore.

makes me kinda nostalgic for the old days where each system was very unique and had certain tricks up their sleeves... now we're literally arguing over how close to a 50" 4k screen we will have to sit to to see a difference between these 2 systems.

"oh at 9.2 vs 12 TF you would see the reconstruction artifacts from 1M away! but if it's only 11 vs 12 TF you would need to be 0.5M away to see the difference in AA quality and small LOD differences!!!"

vs.

"wow so the SNES can rotate tiled backgrounds so the games look like 3D and sprites have more colours!!! but the MegaDrive has such a fast processor that shooters can be super fast and frantic! also super fast games like Sonic!!!"

Last edited:

jroc74

and also, I could easily see early dev kits for both using RDNA1 chips, so it's hard to rule out insider info based on that. especially since RDNA2 doesn't seem to be a super huge improvement over RDNA1.
because again, features like RayTracing and VRS are not really part of RDNA2, they are part of their roadmap and many RDNA2 PC cards will have these features, but I would not be surprised if AMD releases low end or mid range RDNA2 cards with no RayTracing hardware, just like Nvidia sells their GTX1660, which just like their RTX20 raytracing cards uses their newest architecture (Turing) but has none of its new more notable features like raytracing or tensor cores.

if you see their Raytracing hardware as a separate piece, which it essentially will be most likely, then what RDNA2 really is is just a more efficiently running version of RDNA1
so using early RDNA1 approximations of their target specs for early dev kits is a highly likely scenario... there have been weirder early dev kits for game consoles like the Apple Mac PCs used as early Xbox 360 dev kits
I was talking about the data allowing for the calculations for tf amounts, along with other things.

Not the actual tf amounts.

Start with ro_game tweet, the BC data for Oberon, something linking Arden to Xbox.

That's what I'm talking about.

In the midst of all this....I also thought it was crazy for Sony to do another chip. A waste of money.

What I find sad is weeks, months ago it was possible that the ID for Oberon was wrong, and it basically got dismissed, overlooked.

This was before any AMD news about RDNA 2.

Last edited:
well yeah, just saying, we had an APU that can reach 12TF at typical clocks and Microsoft announced 12TF so that seems to check out quite ok.
we had another that's clearly linked to sony, we just need to wait and see what Sony will reveal and if the leaks were close to the final picture or not.

I'm not arguing for anything I'm just trying to keep it real because frankly all that vague insider shit and playing dumb puzzles over images or gifs and timestamps in videos that some insiders post around is just getting old and getting us nowhere.

and I hope Sony will stop their silence soon so we can move on.
I like speculating about specs and possible hardware goals and shit but when it drags on for so long and gets out of hand a lot like it does now it's just not that fun anymore.

makes me kinda nostalgic for the old days where each system was very unique and had certain tricks up their sleeves... now we're literally arguing over how close to a 50" 4k screen we will have to sit to to see a difference between these 2 systems.

"oh at 9.2 vs 12 TF you would see the reconstruction artifacts from 1M away! but if it's only 11 vs 12 TF you would need to be 0.5M away to see the difference in AA quality and small LOD differences!!!"

vs.

"wow so the SNES can rotate tiled backgrounds so the games look like 3D and sprites have more colours!!! but the MegaDrive has such a fast processor that shooters can be super fast and frantic! also super fast games like Sonic!!!"

So where do you think Sparkman fits in?

Banned
So where do you think Sparkman fits in?

can't remember what the difference between Sparkman and Arden was tbh, but didn't they find back compat tests fitting the Xbox One on one of them? (which is weird given how MS handles things but it might be needed for certain games that just don't run with higher specs)

it's a hassle to find all the data now with all the deleted tweets and shit, and most sites only vaguely described the details

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
can't remember what the difference between Sparkman and Arden was tbh, but didn't they find back compat tests fitting the Xbox One on one of them? (which is weird given how MS handles things but it might be needed for certain games that just don't run with higher specs)

it's a hassle to find all the data now with all the deleted tweets and shit, and most sites only vaguely described the details

A couple of weeks ago there was a rumor that Microsoft kept certain instructions from Jaguar in their next gen APU for BC reasons. I remember reading it and being confused as to why that would be needed.

ethomaz

Banned

The only difference is that Sparkman didn't have Xbox One X BC mode.
Arden has Xbox One BC mode and Xbox One X BC mode.
Everything else is the same including 56CUs.

Last edited:

They both have 56 CU

Last edited:
Top Bottom