• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All The Last of Us 2 leaks/spoilers in here and nowhere else.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
okdvaua9ro551.png

MiguelItUp

I have to thank Druckmann, the team, everyone at Sony. The meme is an absolute masterpiece, one of the greatest things ever created. It couldn't have been done without TLOU2.
Legit my favorite meme this year hands down, and it hasn't even been a long period of time. It still has so much more to give, lmao.

I still cannot believe Ellie just chooses not to do it after everything is said and done. So. Fucking. Dumb.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It will be interesting what score AngryJoe gives the game after THAT stream last night lol. Even if him and the gang love the rest of the game going forward (doubtful with what we know about the game, and what they are not liking), it certainly wont be getting a 10/10 like he gave the first game.

MiguelItUp

It will be interesting what score AngryJoe gives the game after THAT stream last night lol. Even if him and the gang love the rest of the game going forward (doubtful with what we know about the game, and what they are not liking), it certainly wont be getting a 10/10 like he gave the first game.
Weren't a ton of Gaffers shitting all over Angry Joe recently? Why do so many suddenly care about what he has to say? Just to hear someone else rage and shit on the game? I look forward to it because I check out his content periodically, haha.

So after hearing the truth about her and the vaccine.

Why hasn't she turned herself in for a cure?
This is something I was wondering myself. Abby's father literally the ONLY person that knew what to do? There was absolutely no one else?

Last edited:

Kishido

Weren't a ton of Gaffers shitting all over Angry Joe recently? Why do so many suddenly care about what he has to say? Just to hear someone else rage and shit on the game? I look forward to it because I check out his content periodically, haha.

This is something I was wondering myself. Abby's father literally the ONLY person that knew what to do? There was absolutely no one else?

Maybe they are saving it up for 3 after Ellie lost Dina.

BTW can someone explain me the leaving the guitar behind scene

MiguelItUp

Maybe they are saving it up for 3 after Ellie lost Dina.

BTW can someone explain me the leaving the guitar behind scene
Yeah, as much as people don't want there to be a sequel, I feel it's surely coming.

I looked at it as a potential metaphor for leaving baggage related to Joel behind and moving on. With the loss of her fingers she can't even play the guitar like she used to. I could certainly be wrong, because knowing Druckmann there's probably some "very deep" reasoning behind it all. 🤷‍♂️

Stuart360

Not me. He got so much hate and public backlash from the Fallout fanboys for his views on Fallout 76 for weeks, and he still ended up giving the game a 3/10. His reviews are not guided by public opinion, or publisher pressure.

Teslerum

Nah, that review will be something special. Ellie not killing Abby will destroy him.

I agree...the chapter that you are introduced to the doc simply showed that he liked animals and had no real character building between Abbie and him
he rescued a zebra and it cuts to some half assed discussion about him realising he would have to kill Ellie to get a cure.....and they decided to put the flashback 3/4 of the way through the game after she killed joel and we had to sit through a number of bad character build ups.
It really baffles my mind why they didn't include that scene before Joel's death. It still doesn't make me like Abby but at least players would kind of understand her hatred and killing Joel. Also when Joel saves her life like 10/15 mins before his death how cool would have it been if we had a scene where she had second thoughts about killing him because he just saved her? Ugh, just so much wasted potential in this game.

Ulysses 31

It really baffles my mind why they didn't include that scene before Joel's death. It still doesn't make me like Abby but at least players would kind of understand her hatred and killing Joel. Also when Joel saves her life like 10/15 mins before his death how cool would have it been if we had a scene where she had second thoughts about killing him because he just saved her? Ugh, just so much wasted potential in this game.
Gets even stranger during Abby's section when she gets saved and then seeing what she goes through to return the favor... :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

Last edited:
I didn't play the second half of TLoU but I saw the ending with Joel killing everyone and the destroying the hope of humanity to find a cure.

That end always bugged me. I understand the father daughter relations theme.

The way the situation was written and how Joel acts like a serial killer without mercy is an interesting starting point for the sequel.

I just don't understand why they have to create Abby and make her related to a character that had 10s of screen time in the first game.

silent head

real review!
The Last of Us 2 is a beautiful, wonderfully acted interactive movie that is utterly let down by a fragmented plot and poor story telling. With solid but unimportant gameplay mechanics, a title that should have been game of the year is instead relegated to the sales pile. LOU2 is an interesting experience, one that I am happy to have had, but not one that I want to have again.
5.8/10

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I didn't play the second half of TLoU but I saw the ending with Joel killing everyone and the destroying the hope of humanity to find a cure.

The way the situation was written and how Joel acts like a serial killer without mercy is an interesting starting point for the sequel.

I just don't understand why they have to create Abby and make her related to a character that had 10s of screen time in the first game.
I would preferred something like that as a storyline. Him being haunted by the incident at the Firefly hospital, and the guilt of keeping the truth a secret from Ellie all this time later. Would of been an interesting plot point to explore.

Teslerum

Just go back to the drawing board and write it better while keeping the same themes.

A broad example: Imagine the game starting with Joel and Ellie and have Abby as a side charachter they learned to know before the game started, over the course of the first few hours you learn to know her, have her build a relationship with Joel and Ellie, and sympathize with her. Then comes the betrayal twist (with Joel and Ellie being unprepared because they considers her a friend), Abby despite visible doubts kills Joel for revenge. After you get Ellie's revenge quest and cat and mouse game with Abby and at the end you get Ellie refusing to kill Abby because she decided to choose differently than Abby did when Abby killed Joel. Cue the ending.

Same goals achieved, same points made, but of the top of my head sounds better to me. May actually sound worse, dunno as I said just of the top of my head.

Last edited:

TheWisp

"Hey remember that one NPC you killed? Yeah he had a daughter. Now you're dead lol"

I'm sorry, but a revenge story in a zombie apocalypse is such a tired idea, TWD lived off of doing that for seasons on end. It never ends. It's boring and has nothing of interest to say.

TLOU's ending, and the story as a whole, is great exactly because it deals with a very interesting topic that goes into very interesting themes not usually explored in a zombie story.

iorek21

I wonder what are Middle Easterners/Russians reactions for this game

If asians are hating hard on it, just imagine the other two

MiguelItUp

"Hey remember that one NPC you killed? Yeah he had a daughter. Now you're dead lol"

I'm sorry, but a revenge story in a zombie apocalypse is such a tired idea, TWD lived off of doing that for seasons on end. It never ends. It's boring and has nothing of interest to say.

TLOU's ending, and the story as a whole, is great exactly because it deals with a very interesting topic that goes into very interesting themes not usually explored in a zombie story.
As someone that really loved zombies and zombie tropes before the mass saturation, I'll admit that's why I really liked TLOU's story and ending. It borrowed some tropes, sure, but it did enough to make that scenario and theme feel refreshing.

When I look at TLOU2 it's like they just gave into all of those tropes ten fold. So a world that portrayed a once fairly unique take, suddenly looks like all the others. Is it awful? Doubtful. Is it disappointing? Most definitely.

Last edited:

keraj37

Sorry to ask - I don't care about this game, I will never play it - but I hear that it has some controversary - can someone share a link or explain to me what is the problem with this game? Why people are review bombing it etc? Thanks.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Sorry to ask - I don't care about this game, I will never play it - but I hear that it has some controversary - can someone share a link or explain to me what is the problem with this game? Why people are review bombing it etc? Thanks.

Killed off a beloved character and pretty much every other male character of importance in the story. Obnoxious levels of homosexual and transexual championing. The director of the game is a narcissist.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Great gameplay, art design, graphical detail, sound design, etc - but all let down by terribly written story headed by a man who pushed out Amy Hennig, caused 70% of the workforce to quit, and has a clear and present bias/agenda in his writing that wasn't present in the original game (more than likely because of pushback by other writers and developers at ND. He didn't have full control like he does now).

Anyone who criticizes the game is considered an "xbox fanboy" a "hater" or "alt-right". You can see it in the "salt" Thread where we have a bunch of infantile folks trying desperately to push those three narratives over the more plausible that the game *just isn't that good*.

Admittedly I haven't finished the game, but going by what I *have* played (up to chapter 8 so far) - the story has only become worse.

EDIT:

I have no problem if someone enjoys the story, if it truly made them entertained and happy with the way the characters went. I am more criticizing those who are misgeneralizing the criticisms offhand as being politically motivated (or otherwise). Just because you don't think the game is a 0/10 or a 10/10 doesn't mean another can't, nor does that make them some sort of fanboy. Basically, don't be a cunt about different opinions and try to gaslight.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I just want to add one thought to the discussion.

As I see it, Druckman imagines himself to be an *artiste,* and like a lot of artistes, he thinks that the purpose of art is to cause an emotional reaction in the viewer. If people react emotionally -- even if the reaction is disgust or anger -- then, to Druckman, that is proof he has been brave enough to create real art. He will take the negative feedback as validation. It won't cause him to re-think what he's done. It will just be self-validating. "I am an artiste who did a courageous thing. I got an emotional reaction out of people. I caused them to think."

It reminds me a little of the artists who do stuff just to shock people -- you know, they put Jesus in a jar of urine or something, or maybe they draw paintings with their own feces. When people have emotional reactions, they see that as validating. They have caused an emotional reaction in the audience, and that's what "real art" does.

I disagree with that view of art. I think real art expands your view of the world, it doesn't shrink it down and debase it. But that's a discussion for another thread.

My point is that Druckman is going to take all the negative feedback as self-validation of how much of a brave artiste he is.

Madflavor

I think this whole situation has really exposed professional game reviewers. No I'm not saying they're paid off, but it really just confirms what we've known for awhile. That they don't write reviews for gamers, they write them for their peers in the industry. Alanah Pearce recently called this out, and I just heard it in penguiz0's recent vid too. The disconnect is unreal. Seeing all those 10/10's across the board juxtaposed with the backlash from gamers, and negative reviews from streamers and youtube reviewers, is not a good look. Professional game reviewers and gamers are just not on the same wavelength.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I just want to add one thought to the discussion.

As I see it, Druckman imagines himself to be an *artiste,* and like a lot of artistes, he thinks that the purpose of art is to cause an emotional reaction in the viewer. If people react emotionally -- even if the reaction is disgust or anger -- then, to Druckman, that is proof he has been brave enough to create real art. He will take the negative feedback as validation. It won't cause him to re-think what he's done. It will just be self-validating. "I am an artiste who did a courageous thing. I got an emotional reaction out of people. I caused them to think."

It reminds me a little of the artists who do stuff just to shock people -- you know, they put Jesus in a jar of urine or something, or maybe they draw paintings with their own feces. When people have emotional reactions, they see that as validating. They have caused an emotional reaction in the audience, and that's what "real art" does.

I disagree with that view of art. I think real art expands your view of the world, it doesn't shrink it down and debase it. But that's a discussion for another thread.

My point is that Druckman is going to take all the negative feedback as self-validation of how much of a brave artiste he is.
worst case, he convinced himself that he has created exotic masterpiece that mere mortal cant even comprehend it.

Top Bottom