• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 and Like a Dragon Gaiden have no physical release, will you buy these games?

Regginator

I'm not interesting in those two games in the first place, but even if I were interested, then still no.

It's the main reason why I haven't bought Baldur's Gate 3 on PS5 yet, despite having looked forward to it for months. I've never spent €70 on a digital game before, nor do I plan to anytime soon. Times are tough financially speaking. Usually with new releases I get a physical copy (which usually is already quite a bit cheaper than digital), play through it in a month or two, and then sell it. At the end of the day I'd have spent about 1/3rd of the cost, and if I want to play it again in the future, I simply repeat the process, or finally get it digitally when it's on sale.

Majukun

Regardless of my lack of interest for these games, there will always be a cap for me for how much I'm willing to pay a game without a physical medium behind it

NinjaBoiX

Probably in 6 months or so when they’re at least 50% off, I’ve never been one desperate to play games as soon as they release.

I also never by boxed really.

I hope it doesn't take hold, as digital games are much more expensive than physical ones here. I will not be buying either of these games. If at all then much much later for little money. How about you folks? Do you not care or will you just not support digital only single player games?
Remember that time that publishers told us that digital games would be much cheaper than physical? Because there’s no need for packaging, printing, transport and no need for a store to create profits?

Pepperidge farm remembers
Memberberries members
I remember

Last edited:

KiteGr

Nope.
If they are really REALLY good, i might get them on steam.
I don't use Epic and I only buy on consoles for the physical.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As already mentioned, Like A Dragon TMWSHN has got a physical release, just not in the west
And Infinite Wealth is getting a Physical Release WW.
it's a very odd decision.
Alan Wake 2 is just odd.
I'll be getting Like a Dragon but Alan Wake 2 will wait until deep discount unless they actually decide to do a physical release.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I've been wishing and waiting for an Alan Wake sequel since I finished the first one. Of course I'm going to buy part 2. Hardly buy physical anyway since I got the PS5.

Fabieter

As already mentioned, Like A Dragon TMWSHN has got a physical release, just not in the west
And Infinite Wealth is getting a Physical Release WW.
it's a very odd decision.
Alan Wake 2 is just odd.
I'll be getting Like a Dragon but Alan Wake 2 will wait until deep discount unless they actually decide to do a physical release.

As far as I know the asia version comes with all subs as well. Its basically as good as physical in the west. I have a Website for people who are living in germany. I dont think they are shipping outside. @me if someone is interested.

They ship in the whole EU it seems.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As far as I know the asia version comes with all subs as well. Its basically as good as physical in the west. I have a Website for people who are living in germany. I dont think they are shipping outside. @me if someone is interested.

They ship in the whole EU it seems.
Yeah I bought from them before, been using them since the mid 2000's

GHound

Physical or not it's unlikely I'll touch these before the heat death of the universe anyway. I've still got like forty billion games to go through before I even start to worry about a new RGG and I never was able to get into the original Alan Wake.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

I can’t put money down on a digital game unless it is heavily discounted. Even then I’d still rather own a physical copy.

Why Microsoft or Sony hasn’t taken a stance on this is damning. Their respective silence is indeed deafening. They should be preparing stand alone external ultra hd drives and committing to forward compatibility for future systems. That’s the minimum I expect.

I refuse to allow physical to die gracefully. This is a hill I’m willing to die on.

Kenpachii

alan wake 1 was pretty shit, good 5 buck game. So i won't be buying alan wake 2 unless i got it for super cheap and its on steam both of which aren't going to happen.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Probably in 6 months or so when they’re at least 50% off, I’ve never been one desperate to play games as soon as they release.

I also never by boxed really.
Same, I think I've bought all I'm going to buy in 2023 and there's no incentive to buy full price games you don't have time for.

KWAB

Banned
Yes but not at launch. I can always find good discounts for physical copies, here I can't so I'll just wait.

Nope, because it's Epic exclusive on PC, it will just have to wait until they give it away as one of their freebies. And the same with PlayStation, I'll wait until it goes on PS+ Extra.

Agreed. Odd choice they they seemed to make it difficult for people to want to buy. Would have taken Steam or Microsoft Store but absolutelt not epic. As for consoles, digital means that you will never actually own the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yes for both title , i am a digital supporter for many years now due to personal reasons
i-took-that-personally-keegan-michael-key.gif

StereoVsn

no, as I didn't buy bg3 on ps5. Either they bring out the retail version or I wait for a significant price drop. they should forget about this practice of releasing only digitally, I appreciate that remedy has lowered the price but it doesn't justify the lack of a physical version imo
There was a rumor that BG3 PS5 physical is coming. Just read it the other day, no dates yet though.

El Muerto

Always physical for consoles. I bought Like A Dragon Gaiden from playasia because i want it for my Yakuza collection. Probably wont play Alan Wake 2 unless it comes to gamepass or on Steam but only when on sale. I usually rent ~10hr single player games from gamefly because i'm not paying $70 for a short game. Definitely not buying it on the Epic store.

xrnzaaas

I've decided to wait and pick them up when they're on sale. I really want to play them, but it'll be my small stand. And who knows, maybe they will get a physical release later on (like BG3) or I'll decide to import Yakuza.

There is zero excuse for this bs, if a tiny release like Trepang2 can release physically they should too and the only reasoning is they want to kill off the used copies market.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PC seems to be doing fine after being all digital for more than a decade.

Realistically the only one of the next gen consoles that will have a physical option is Nintendo because they control and produce the carts, and the ghost of Yamauchi will never let them give that up. Their entire company is built on it.

I don't expect the PS6 or next Xbox to have disc drives at all. By the time they're out there might not even be a single disc replicator plant operating on the planet.
People always idiotically repeat that „mom but pc it’s digital”.
Dude, pc it’s an open platform. You have access to files. You can mod, crack and backup. That’s why everyone hated what Microsoft was doing with Xbox store on pc. It locked the files.
And most importantly there is huge price and choice competition with key resellers and stores.

None of that exists in a console.
Disc is the best way to ensure some ownership, price competition and value added. I can play 1.0 if I want, I can buy cheap, I can own and it can’t be taken away from me.

On consoles, physical games are just much cheaper and offer more value

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, fuck physical
Are you trolling?
Are you really advertising for worse prices ?
By killing physical on consoles, you leave console digital stores to their own. Sony will have total control. No price competition, nothing.
Even if you hate physical media for whatever stupid reason, it existing makes your precious digital games cheaper in some way

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
99% of people who are against digital games are members of subscription models and also buy games on steam. The irony..
Read my post above. Games on steam are not the same as digital games on console. You have many key stores and access to files. There is no comparison.

T-Cake

Are you trolling?
Are you really advertising for worse prices ?
By killing physical on consoles, you leave console digital stores to their own. Sony will have total control. No price competition, nothing.
Even if you hate physical media for whatever stupid reason, it existing makes your precious digital games cheaper in some way

I think when that happens the regulators in the EU and elsewhere will mandate third party stores. You may even get an Xbox store on PlayStation just in time for Elder Scrolls VI. Lol

ManaByte

And most importantly there is huge price and choice competition with key resellers and stores.

None of that exists in a console.

Again, there are resellers for Xbox and Nintendo games. You can buy cards for them in retail and online.

We also know that both "slim" revisions don't have a disc drive (the PS5 one is an optional add-on). Both MS and Sony are preparing people for the next gen that won't have discs. Both for the move to digital and the reality that disc replication plants are vanishing. Right now there's ONE plant on Earth to make ALL Blu-Ray movie releases. That's why physical media is slowing down and by the time the next gen consoles release they won't have a way to produce the discs.

Kupfer

99% of people who are against digital games are members of subscription models and also buy games on steam. The irony..
People can have different opinions about various providers.

As for me, I don't see any "value" in digitally purchased games.

With Steam, I can accept it because I'm always aware that if things get tough and Steam shuts down the servers, for example, or falls victim to such a massive hacker attack that everything is lost, or whatever, I could live with the loss of my account and all the games it contains.

I don't care about having to keep or own any game I've purchased through Steam forever. I'll play them as long as they're available, and if they were to disappear, it's unfortunate, but I expect it.

With consoles, in my case, PlayStation games, it's a completely different story.

Console games hold a value for me that I want to experience. The best way to do that is to receive a new game in the mail, open it with anticipation, insert it, install it, and play it. After playing, I place it on the shelf and reminisce about the game, feeling joy every time I glance at the shelf.

I miss that 100% with digital games. I'm not saying others can't feel the same way when browsing their digital library, but digital PlayStation games hold no value for me. That's why it's not worth the trouble to spend money on them, certainly not more money than a physical release would cost.

Apart from the "nostalgic" factor of having a physical and well-stocked game collection, which is simply nice to look at, there's also the fact that as a PlayStation digital game buyer, you never truly own the game. You can't back it up for easy replay in case of a crisis, which is not a problem on the PC.

Even though it's unlikely, Sony could decide to remove games you've paid for from your libraries at any time, and there's nothing you could do about it because you agree to it with a digital purchase – you only get a usage license that lasts as long as Sony desires. They already did it with purchased movies.

That's not compatible with my preferences. Another point I don't want to fall victim to is the fact that console ecosystems, unlike the PC, are closed. There's no intra-platform competition for the PlayStation Store. So, on the PlayStation, Sony has absolute control over shaping terms and pricing. With every digital purchase, you surrender more independence and play into Sony's hands.

If, in one or two generations, there were only digital-only consoles and manufacturers suddenly demanded €120 for their "oh so groundbreaking" exclusive titles because there were no more alternatives, we would wish for consoles with drives and physical media.

EDIT:
And it's true, I do have a PS+ Essential subscription that runs until next summer, but given what Sony is doing this generation, my decision is firm: I intend to let it expire and not renew it. It's already canceled. You don't have to put up with everything.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again, there are resellers for Xbox and Nintendo games. You can buy cards for them in retail and online.

We also know that both "slim" revisions don't have a disc drive (the PS5 one is an optional add-on). Both MS and Sony are preparing people for the next gen that won't have discs. Both for the move to digital and the reality that disc replication plants are vanishing. Right now there's ONE plant on Earth to make ALL Blu-Ray movie releases. That's why physical media is slowing down and by the time the next gen consoles release they won't have a way to produce the discs.
The amount of resellers for Xbox and Nintendo is minuscule in comparison to how open steam is.
And you still won’t have access to files.

It doesn’t badge to die. New plants can make games

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's been that way for years.

They're produced on the same exact discs as movies though.

source. Just some tweet about usa.
nah man.

Anyway. I don't see why are you so keen on pointing that out. You should be outraged by that.

Games still sell roughly similar physical numbers. It's just that in these "look how much digital games sell" graphs, it counts in all the chaep and plentiful digital only games that didnt exist before.
Sure, physical probably sells a bit less but it's just digital trash that covered it

Kupfer

source. Just some tweet about usa.
nah man.

Anyway. I don't see why are you so keen on pointing that out. You should be outraged by that.

Games still sell roughly similar physical numbers. It's just that in these "look how much digital games sell" graphs, it counts in all the chaep and plentiful digital only games that didnt exist before.
Sure, physical probably sells a bit less but it's just digital trash that covered it
Also "Never trust a statistic that you haven't manipulated yourself.".

The statistics and numbers I have seen often aim to suggest that physical data carriers are dead. They even include premium currency sales and mobile sales, which have no physical equivalent whatsoever. This naturally creates the impression that physical data carriers are already a thing of the past. However, it seems that the consumer base is sufficiently conditioned in this regard to simply accept it rather than taking a stand with their wallets - because anything else doesn't seem to work. MS, Sony, Nintendo, Netflix, Amazon, [...] and others merely laugh off forum posts and Twitter outcries, if at all.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Also "Never trust a statistic that you haven't manipulated yourself.".

The statistics and numbers I have seen often aim to suggest that physical data carriers are dead. They even include premium currency sales and mobile sales, which have no physical equivalent whatsoever. This naturally creates the impression that physical data carriers are already a thing of the past. However, it seems that the consumer base is sufficiently conditioned in this regard to simply accept it rather than taking a stand with their wallets - because anything else doesn't seem to work. MS, Sony, Nintendo, Netflix, Amazon, [...] and others merely laugh off forum posts and Twitter outcries, if at all.
Exactly thank you for putting it in words properly :p

Top Bottom