• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 and Like a Dragon Gaiden have no physical release, will you buy these games?

Spyxos

I hope it doesn't take hold, as digital games are much more expensive than physical ones here. I will not be buying either of these games. If at all then much much later for little money. How about you folks? Do you not care or will you just not support digital only single player games?

DonJorginho

Banned
I'm not the biggest fan of these kind of releases, especially for AAA premium price titles, but I did pre-order Alan Wake 2 the minute it was available as it's a game I've been personally wanting/waiting on for years and nothing would've stopped me buying it.

Like A Dragon Gaiden I'll pick up when it inevitably goes on sale

Nope, but not because there is no physical version. I've been all digital since PS4 with no regrets.

I won't be buying because I do not care about these games.

Chukhopops

I loved AW and Remedy in general so I’ll buy the sequel, digital or not.

I’m not sold on LAD:Gaiden, still have two unfinished LAD games in the backlog so not a priority.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Ice Cube Yes GIF

EruditeHobo

Yep -- digital is far superior, to me personally.

If I had financial issues where I needed/wanted to get money back from games I bought, or if I were concerned about playing a game 20 years later on the same disc because I already "bought" it, I might feel differently. But I don't care about those things.

I also don't like supporting middlemen. Or the needless manufacture of more hunks of plastic which will take up storage space for now only to get caught in some whale's blowhole in 250 years once the seas are even more clogged with garbage.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Interesting. Never heard about this shop. Weird decision. I wonder how long it will take to ship to Europe.

schaft0620

Like A Dragon (the goat) Gaiden has a psychical release in Japan with mutli-language support. Sub'ed and dub'ed in English. The first like 6 games were in Japanese, I don't want to go to English, now I have a $40 version of the game with options.

Physical rules.

Interesting. Never heard about this shop. Weird decision. I wonder how long it will take to ship to Europe.
I get imports from there all the time. All of the consoles are now region free, a lot of switch stuff is exclusive there and thats how I got a FFPR Switch physical cart. It doesn't arrive day and date but its not like 2 weeks later.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'll get Yakuza but only thanks to TidusYana's post above.

Alan Wake - No way, I'll wait for a steep discount.

I can't imagine spending £60/70 on a game with no way to return it if it doesn't click with you. If I'd got Armored Core or Hogwarts digitally, I'd be ruing the waste of money.

Last edited:

schaft0620

I think Remedy caves and does a physical release (2024). They could also do a $100 box set with AW1, Control UE, AW2, I would be in for that.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm only digital on PC (because I have to be, lol), and I primarily on PC, so it all works out for me. Didn't play the first Alan Wake, so I don't know about this one. I just love buying Yakuza games to support RGG.

I just really wish they'd put Lost Paradise on PC. :(

Last edited:
I am not happy with saying this since I'm a huge proponent of physical games here on GAF... but I might cave in and buy AW2 digitally on PSN since I really, really like what I've seen so far.
As for Like a Dragon Gaiden, I'll get the PS5 physical version from Play Asia, no biggie there.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
No joke: after 10 years, I decided to travel to Japan for a fourth time to visit my host family, enjoy Japanese culture again... and purchase the physical edition of Like a Dragon Gaiden on November 8th. And I'm not ashamed of it!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Physical media is just clutter at this point. No instruction booklets, day 1 patches, no cool boxes like back in the day. Unless you are buying and selling games which seems like way more effort than it’s worth and you would be better served by a rental service like gamefly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Despite being a pro physical game nut, yes I will buy both of those because I am personally hyped for both.

NickFire

I actually prefer digital to physical. Yes, ease of switching games is one reason. But the more significant reason is that you essentially get two copies for the price of one digital copy. You can't let someone play on your "primary" console while you play on a secondary console with just one disc.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes for Gaiden, also pre-ordered the physical release from overseas. If that weren't an option, I'd likely skip the game completely or wait for a serious discount. Not buying Alan Wake II.

StereoVsn

Physical media is just clutter at this point. No instruction booklets, day 1 patches, no cool boxes like back in the day. Unless you are buying and selling games which seems like way more effort than it’s worth and you would be better served by a rental service like gamefly.
Personally I enjoy collecting games i like. A lot of times physical will be cheaper as well, especially in Europe.

Just got FF I - VI Switch recently as an example, and for me it's cool to have that. Same with quite a few other titles.

Went on somewhat of a Saturn Japanese game shopping spree lately, and it's awesome to have them on a shelf and to play on real hardware.

Quezacolt

Like a dragon i will import the asian version, since they will get a physical edition with english subs.

Alan Wake 2 will be a pass, sadly. Waited so many years for this and they had to make it digital only....

Quezacolt

I miss having the manuals, ngl.

The day 1 patch thing, people need to understand that most games dont even need those. Most games can be played from start to end without a day 1 patch, it's simply not required.

Bkdk

will certainly get like a dragon gaiden. for alan wake 2 if they decide to drop that cop character I might consider.

TidusYuna

Purchased many games from Play-Asia, never had an issue. They ship the games in boxes.

Another game that so far hasn't been announced to be getting a physically release in the west is Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest the Adventures of DAI.

But you can buy it physically on PS5 and Switch Play-Asia. In case some Dragon Quest fans want this physically, here are some links.

https://www.play-asia.com/infinity-strash-dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai-english/13/70fpz3 < PS5 Asia confirmed English

https://www.play-asia.com/infinity-strash-dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai-english/13/70fpz7 < Switch Asia confirmed English

(Note: I've heard from a reputable source that the 10 dollars cheaper japan version of these games may also have the english on cart/disc but I can't actually verify that because it doesn't say "multi-language" on the Play-Asia listing for these. They probably want to sell the more expensive Asia copies is my guess. But if you'd like to roll the dice, ill post links to the Japanese version which is 10 dollars cheaper and also has a ps4 version available. I'd recommend at least waiting until after the release as other buyers can verify whether English is on the Japan versions of Infinity Strash.

https://www.play-asia.com/infinity-strash-dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai/13/70fpyp < PS5 Japanese cover

https://www.play-asia.com/infinity-strash-dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai/13/70fpyt < PS4 Japanese cover

https://www.play-asia.com/infinity-strash-dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai/13/70fpyx < Switch Japanese cover

Also, if your a fan of Breath of the Wild, you can get Breath of the Wild + Expansion which has the DLC and all the patches on cart from Play-Asia. This one costs a pretty penny but worth it imho to have one of the best games of all time with the DLC and Patches on the cart.

https://www.play-asia.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-expansion-pass-english/13/70exyz

Top Bottom