• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy Says There Are Still No Plans for a Physical Version of Alan Wake 2; Explains Why American Nightmare Wasn’t Remastered

Bojji

The value for reselling games is very low. And the console makers screw us anyway. Try putting a PS3 disc in PS4 or PS5 and see if you can play it.

I bought gow Ragnarok for 300 PLN on release and sold It for 240 PLN two weeks later. You clearly don't know how maket looks right now.

Pirate the game and burn it on a Blu-ray then. I presume this is still possible? Haven't done it in 15 years.

Something like that is probably only possible on pc, and there are many unracked denuvo games.

Console digital future looks like complete shit.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes we can because a lot of modern games are not coming to Nintendo and AW is not there.

It can be included because AW (and most of games) does not sell there.
So physical release won't affect physical sales on PC (because there is none), it won't affect Xbox (because - aside smaller market share - the physical is small on Xbox). So it leaves only Playstation.
The whole discussion is about AW2 sales after all.

Did they announce numbers for PC?
More modern gamers play on Nintendo devices than Xbox devices.
Not sure why you keep trying to discredit Nintendo?

So Sony and Nintendo still sell large percentages of physical games.

Doom85

More modern gamers play on Nintendo devices than Xbox devices.
Not sure why you keep trying to discredit Nintendo?

So Sony and Nintendo still sell large percentages of physical games.

Because anyone who has played Alan Wake 2 knows that it is not going to run on Switch, maybe a Cloud version, MAYBE, but that would mean no physical version.

ZoukGalaxy

No physical no buy
The council agrees

nmYQRrt.jpg

Too bad for you Remedy, stay stupid and keep your digital wind and your fake excuses: one day it was because the game was not finished and needed a mandatory day one patch anyway and the other day it's because it was "the plan".

Wallace Shawn Reaction GIF by CBS

Will buy it one day on GOG for 0,99€ thanks to my infinite backlog.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The council agrees

nmYQRrt.jpg

Too bad for you Remedy, stay stupid and keep your digital wind and your fake excuses: one day it was because the game was not finished and needed a mandatory day one patch anyway and the other day it's because it was "the plan".

Wallace Shawn Reaction GIF by CBS

Will buy it one day on GOG for 0,99€ thanks to my infinite backlog.
The thing is the game came with my 4090 and I have yet to install it because it's EGS.

Deerock71

Reminder that Alan Wake wasn't available on Steam for years because of licencing issues. So discs were the best way to play it safely in a legal way. I.e. it couldn't be more ironic (and perplexing) that its sequel is now the game to kick off this new era of AAA digital only releases.
Based off (lack of) sales, this might have been a really bad decision.
bradley cooper love GIF

The thing is, there's at least a chance (albeit a slim one) about this getting a physical console release shortly (mostly because it's published by EGS and they DGAF about short term profits), which leads you to the other (PC) audience of waiting it out for a Steam release, which is close to not happening, as it is a long term strategy for Epic, who funded and published this game.

To give you some idea, Alan Wake Remastered released over 2 years ago on all platforms, and on PC launched exclusively on EGS, and it still hasn't launched on Steam.

Zathalus

How much will physical sales really add? Less then 10% on Xbox and maybe another 20% on PlayStation? Then you have the overhead that comes with physical and the costs needed to do the covers and disks. Not a massive amount of incentive for a rather niche game like this.

WitchHunter

Banned
Despite THQ expressing interest in doing a physical release of Alan Wake 2, Remedy once again reiterates that there are still no plans as of now, while also explaining why Alan Wake American Nightmare Remastered never happened.

Speaking live at the EGX Theatre, Creative Director of Remedy Entertainment, Sam Lake, took to answering audience questions, with one around a possible update for a physical release and whether we will ever get an American Nightmare remaster.

Who decided to go pure digital only because a lot of people love collecting physical media, collector editions, and steel books. If you even did a digital release, then a couple of months later did a physical release, I would still buy that, hands down. Would we ever possibly ever see American Nightmare Remastered?

Sam Lake:
I’ll start with American Nightmare. Yeah, we did discuss that when we did the remaster, but the reality of it was that the tech base underneath the hood of American Nightmare is already so different from Alan Wake that it would have been separate back then. So, it didn’t make any business sense at the time.

Alan Wake 2, as we talked about, I appreciate your passion, I really do, it is a digital-only game. This is a decision between Remedy’s management and our publisher. I hear you, but there are no other plans as of now.”

No physical no money. So sorry. Let's wait 2 years, so epic games would offer it for free.

Last edited:
Maybe making a sequel to a game from 15 years ago nobody cared about just wasn't a financially solid plan. But it was probably a passion project so good for them.

Midn1ght

Yeah no Physical and no Steam release at launch is a wild decision. They got a fat paycheck from Epic to develop the game didn't they?
Wouldn't be surprise if these decisions came from Tim Sweeney to, yet again, try and fail at making EGS popular.

I'm blaming kids and Fortnite for this one.

pp,504x498-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Bojji

I don't get why a few people in this thread try to discredit physical sales as not being relevant in *insert current year* when we know from reliable sources that both PlayStation and Nintendo sell tons of physical games still in 2 major markets like Japan and Europe.

So yeah at least we can hope that ps6 will still be able to play physical games. But most likely many smaller titles won't be released on disc.

Top Bottom