• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2's Sam Lake wants to make a "crazy, huge budget, dark gothic fantasy"

samlake_remedy.jpg

Alan Wake 2 creator, Sam Lake, has revealed that he's always wanted to tell a "crazy, huge budget, dark gothic fantasy".

In an interview with GQ magazine, Lake admitted that whilst the development of cult horror game Alan Wake was difficult in the shadows of Max Payne – "the curse of the second album", as Lake describes it – there are still other worlds outside of Alan Wake, Max Payne, and Control he would like to entertain us with.
"Would I ever do anything else?" he asks. "Yeah. I'm still thinking that I will. There will be a time when I retire. It's just that… this has all been so engaging."

As for the stories he still wants to tell?

"One was this crazy, huge budget, dark gothic fantasy, which I haven’t used for anything yet…"

Hopefully Alan Wake 2 sells well enough to warrant it. Sounds like the game has a roughly 80-100million budget(including marketing). Hopefully it can sell 2 million by end of year. AW2 is unlike any game I have played, so I'm all in for an ambitious big budget project from Remedy!

Filben

So far he and Remedy has never disappointed me since the release of Max Payne 1. Love their style and signature narrative and how they tackle gameplay (although not always perfect I still really like it). If they don't change under the studio's name like BioWare or Piranha Bytes or many other studios, their next game will probably excellent as well.

Mortisfacio

So far he and Remedy has never disappointed me since the release of Max Payne 1. Love their style and signature narrative and how they tackle gameplay (although not always perfect I still really like it). If they don't change under the studio's name like BioWare or Piranha Bytes or many other studios, their next game will probably excellent as well.

Only Remedy game I've played I didn't thoroughly enjoy was Quantum Break.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
So far best horror game I’ve ever played. What a story, lore atmosphere, even gameplay. It’s fantastic. Should be in the running for Game of the Year.

mortal

Gold Member
In my opinion “crazy, huge budget” limits devs because with that type of budget the game needs to have mass appeal in order to get high sales.
True, but dark gothic fantasies aren't exactly unmarketable.
If it's also being done by developers with a proven track record then certain publishers are more willing to that risk.

DavidGzz

I haven't gotten to the combat of this game, is there proper gore? I was just playing The Last of US remake and would be totally down with ND making a medieval game with their gore system. I've always wanted something where you can see the slash and stab marks on enemy bodies.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I haven't gotten to the combat of this game, is there proper gore? I was just playing The Last of US remake and would be totally down with ND making a medieval game with their gore system. I've always wanted something where you can see the slash and stab marks on enemy bodies.
I thought there were rumours back in the day that they might be working on some dark fantasy game.

MCplayer

I would say no because I hate fantasy, but remedy might be the only studio that actually makes good use of particles and the particles look better then any other game I can remember so bring it on.

Top Bottom