• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 84% of Vegetarians and Vegans give up on the diet and return to meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps not vegetarian, but a lot of people eat red meat multiple times a day every day. And studies do NOT indicate that that is optimal for health. Therefore it is poison.

No studies indicate red meat as an independent predictor of much of anything, actually.

No studies indicate red meat as an independent predictor of much of anything, actually.

Pretty sure I've read the opposite, that too much red meat is linked to several health risks.

Interestingly enough though, I haven't seen rice consumption as an independent predictor of much anything.

Espada

I'm not too surprised by these results. We heard about something similar not too long ago, about most vegans/vegetarians eating meat once again. Humans are omnivores, we like enjoying nature's bounty. As the article says, it's a lot more effective if everyone just reduced the amount of meat they eat. That's far easier to do, and even that change would do loads to improve a number of issues connected to the meat industry.

Hopefully we're not too far off from being able to grow meat in vats so you kids can continue to have your bacon without fucking up the planet and sustaining nightmare factories.

SCIENCE!

My mom has stopped eating pork, and only eats Kosher foods. She's doing it for health reasons though. She tried doing it with all meats but she likes her steak every once in a while.

Overall, I don't have any huge issues with vegans or vegetarians. As long as I don't have to hear about it in every conversation with them, more power to them.

But... One lingering question/issue with the moral vegans/vegetarians is why do they care so much about the animals when we have people in almost every country who go hungry?

Just last year, there were over 15 million children who lived in "food-insecure" homes in the US.

I don't know... it just seems like one issue is bigger than the other and the passion I see from Vegans and Vegetarians would do well if directed to feeding hungry children (meat or no meat).

But again, if you were able to stick with it, more power to you. That takes a lot of dedication, time, and money.

My mom has stopped eating pork, and only eats Kosher foods. She's doing it for health reasons though. She tried doing it with all meats but she likes her steak every once in a while.

Overall, I don't have any huge issues with vegans or vegetarians. As long as I don't have to hear about it in every conversation with them, more power to them.

But... One lingering question/issue with the moral vegans/vegetarians is why do they care so much about the animals when we have people in almost every country who go hungry?

Just last year, there were over 15 million children who lived in "food-insecure" homes in the US.

I don't know... it just seems like one issue is bigger than the other and the passion I see from Vegans and Vegetarians would do well if directed to feeding hungry children (meat or no meat).

But again, if you were able to stick with it, more power to you. That takes a lot of dedication, time, and money.

Most people are able to care about several things at once. Why do you spend money on video games when you could donate to those hungry children?

A large majority of former vegetarians/vegans (65%) say they transitioned to a veg diet quickly, in a matter of days or weeks.

Indeed, in our study half of former vegetarians/vegans (49%) said they were living with a significant other when their diet lapsed.

43% of lapsed vegetarians/vegans say they found it too difficult to maintain a “pure” diet

Most former vegetarians/vegans stated that health was the number one motivator for eating the diet (58%).

More than a third (37%) of former vegetarians/vegans say they are interested in re-adopting the diet.

A large majority of former vegetarians/vegans (63%) said that they disliked that their diet made them stick out from the crowd; 41% of current vegetarians/vegans also agree with this statement. Similarly, a majority of former vegetarians/vegans (58%) did not see the diet as part of their identity.

Alienfan

Being a vegetarian for health reasons seems completely reasonable (as a society we do consume far too much meat), but could someone attempt to explain to me why someone would "do it for the animals"? Because isn't the level of animal cruelty in the dairy industry and within poultry/egg farms often just as bad as some meat industries? Always seemed like a double standard to me.

Malvolio

Making "vegetarian" a rigid definition that can't be wavered from is misleading. I eat vegetarian most of the time, but I occasionally eat meat. I also eat paleo the majority of the time, but will enjoy a pizza occasionally. Unless it's for ethical reasons, "diet" titles don't need to be a religion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Making "vegetarian" a rigid definition that can't be wavered from is misleading. I eat vegetarian most of the time, but I occasionally eat meat. I also eat paleo the majority of the time, but will enjoy a pizza occasionally. Unless it's for ethical reasons, "diet" titles don't need to be a religion.

That's fine and all, but if you eat meat (even just once in a while), then you're not a vegetarian. You're just someone who mostly avoids meat.

Malvolio

That's fine and all, but if you eat meat (even just once in a while), then you're not a vegetarian. You're just someone who mostly avoids meat.

Which is why I tell people I'm mostly vegetarian and nobody really questions it. It doesn't need to be a life choice. You can choose to eat as a vegetarian for a period of time and still call yourself one.

I used to eat a ton of meat. I switched to being vegetarian unless I get I from ethical sources. Overall I just try to reduce my meat intake. I don't really care about the label. I don't call myself "vegetarian" or "vegan" or anything. It's not a cultural identity for me.

Personally it's a mix of ethics, health, and sustainability. That said, almost no one knows I do this. I rarely talk about it and if I go over to someone's house that serves me a meal, I'll normally just eat it (and enjoy it).

Being a vegetarian for health reasons seems completely reasonable (as a society we do consume far too much meat), but could someone attempt to explain to me why someone would "do it for the animals"? Because isn't the level of animal cruelty in the dairy industry and within poultry/egg farms often just as bad as some meat industries? Always seemed like a double standard to me.
Well vegans go the whole way and don't have to engage in any cognitive dissonance, and it's better to reduce the suffering you cause even a little than to do nothing. It's only a double standard if a vegetarian goes around telling meat eaters they are immoral while tucking into an omelet.

Well vegans go the whole way and don't have to engage in any cognitive dissonance, and it's better to reduce the suffering you cause even a little than to do nothing. It's only a double standard if a vegetarian goes around telling meat eaters they are immoral while tucking into an omelet.

My biggest confusion here is aren't there plenty of vegan products that create unethical standards for many workers? I get that we should do the best we can with the knowledge we have, but to pretend to have the mora high ground seems silly to me.

My biggest confusion here is aren't there plenty of vegan products that create unethical standards for many workers? I get that we should do the best we can with the knowledge we have, but to pretend to have the mora high ground seems silly to me.
I don't know, are there? Vegans have recently put me off buying kikkoman soy sauce because the company engages in unnecessary animal testing to try and prove it has health benefits - meaning that actually it isn't 'vegan' after all. I read just this week that many vegans avoid palm oil because of the way the environment is destroyed in order to produce it. PETA's latest expose on the leather industry focused as much on child labor as animal cruelty. You might notice a vegan wearing some clothing that came from a sweatshop, if you do then feel free to point it out to them and see what they say. In my experience most vegans give more of a shit about the ethical consequences of their actions than the average person, and it has nothing to do with taking a 'moral high ground', no more than making any moral choice at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Which is why I tell people I'm mostly vegetarian and nobody really questions it. It doesn't need to be a life choice. You can choose to eat as a vegetarian for a period of time and still call yourself one.

Sure, but it's still not the agreed upon definition, nor the target of this study.

I don't know, are there? Vegans have recently put me off buying kikkoman soy sauce because the company engages in unnecessary animal testing to try and prove it has health benefits - meaning that actually it isn't 'vegan' after all. I read just this week that many vegans avoid palm oil because of the way the environment is destroyed in order to produce it. PETA's latest expose on the leather industry focused as much on child labor as animal cruelty. You might notice a vegan wearing some clothing that came from a sweatshop, if you do then feel free to point it out to them and see what they say. In my experience most vegans give more of a shit about the ethical consequences of their actions than the average person, and it has nothing to do with taking a 'moral high ground', no more than making any moral choice at least.

I mean like I said in my previous post, I follow the general rule of trying be as ethical as possible in all my purchases (not just food). But so many fruits and vegetables comes from farms that don't have the best history of human rights. Yet, I know many vegetarians and vegans that don't even consider it, they just care about animals dying. Which, I think is a valid discussion, just not the only one. Seems like for many vegetarians and vegans they have a very single subject ethic at times.

I mean like I said in my previous post, I follow the general rule of trying be as ethical as possible in all my purchases (not just food). But so many fruits and vegetables comes from farms that don't have the best history of human rights. Yet, I know many vegetarians and vegans that don't even consider it, they just care about animals dying. Which, I think is a valid discussion, just not the only one. Seems like for many vegetarians and vegans they have a very single subject ethic at times.
I think it is hard to be focused on a huge number of issues at the same time, and while there a lot of people - organisations, celebrities etc championing animal rights, perhaps as your comments imply there needs to be more of an effort to raise awareness of other unethical practices in mass production. I think there is a difference between not caring and being ignorant. If vegans are exposed to horrific facts relating to some products they buy and decide they don't care and continue about their business, I understand the charges of hypocrisy. How could they challenge those who continue to consume animal products despite seeing all the undercover videos, reading the articles and so on, if they are just as incapable of empathy? I expect though that in most cases, vegan or otherwise, the main culprit is ignorance, often wilful.

Hazelhurst

I chose to be a vegetarian when I was 16, and then became Vegan at 19 (1999). I'm 35 now and still Vegan. I do it for the animals.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'll go vegan when sythentic meats are highly available and economical.

I don't have anything against veganism... but the lust for meat is too strong buddy.

Like, if they told me that jerking off would produce a ton of CO2 each time... I'd be like.... I'm sorry environment.

Xenus

I think it is hard to be focused on a huge number of issues at the same time, and while there a lot of people - organisations, celebrities etc championing animal rights, perhaps as your comments imply there needs to be more of an effort to raise awareness of other unethical practices in mass production. I think there is a difference between not caring and being ignorant. If vegans are exposed to horrific facts relating to some products they buy and decide they don't care and continue about their business, I understand the charges of hypocrisy. How could they challenge those who continue to consume animal products despite seeing all the undercover videos, reading the articles and so on, if they are just as incapable of empathy? I expect though that in most cases, vegan or otherwise, the main culprit is ignorance, often wilful.

I seems like a lot of these issues it would be "easier" to go back to being hunter gathers. Obviously it'd be easier on the planet however the population we have now isn't sustainable without farming and domestication. To say little of the 100's of millions to billions of people that know little to nothing about hunting and gathering at this point.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
This blog post is a year old. Psychology Today is trash. Polls are unreliable and have to overcome many methodological hurdles.

Eating Disorders: The Dark Side of Vegetarisnism
Who’s Lying About Not Eating Meat
Was Hitler a Vegetarian?
Returning To Meat
Why Are There So Few Vegetarians?
Does Loving Pets Make It Easier To Eat Meat?
looks like the author is totes teh bias.

According to the overview of the poll it is due mostly to social pressure.
The most noteworthy items showed that former vegetarians/vegans experienced greater difficulties than their “current” counterparts when it
came to: cravings and boredom with food options; insufficient interaction with other vegetarians/vegans; not being actively involved in a
vegetarian/vegan community; not seeing the diet as part of their identity; disliking that their diet made them “stick out from the crowd;” and
feeling it was too difficult to be “pure” with their diet.
https://faunalytics.org/wp-content/...cs_Current-Former-Vegetarians_Full-Report.pdf

daegan

I was for over a decade; the biggest reason I came back to it is because I'm traveling abroad next year and want to be able to try pretty much whatever I come across. I still don't eat meat nearly as much as I did beforehand... I think a lot of people probably come back to it, then come off meat again on and on through life.

I tried a vegetarian diet to help resolve a digestive issue.
I don't keep weight on easy though, and working out regularly, I needed more protein, so I put chicken and fish back into my diet.

I haven't eaten any mammal meat since, and never again will. I just don't agree we should be eating our closest family members.

Once corporations get on board the insect revolution, I'll be able to cut out chicken (I love those little guys and don't really want to eat them).

cdyhybrid

I don't eat vegetables and eat as much meat as possible.

Someone has to stand up for the rights of the plants. They are lifeforms too, yet vegans want to slaughter them wholesale just so they can be picky eaters.

#SaveThePlants

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is that ecological argument actually incorrect from a factual standpoint?

No, but it's pretty hypocritical if you drive a car around, or ever take a plane for vacation.
There's better places to make cuts - eating meat averages out as 1-1.5t of co2 per year, assuming one was a fairly heavy consumer of beef before, and cutting beef is nearly equivalent to going vegetarian (Pork, chicken and other meats don't fart nearly as much)
For comparison, a single USA-EU plane trip (and back) is 2-5t, depending on specific location. Driving a daily commute of 30km is 8t of co2 per year.
foodprint5.gif

foodkCal1.gif

On that note, i've gone (practically) beefless for ecologic reasons.
Paradoxically, once things are broken down and transport added, fruit is the worst food for the environment, due to low energy density and cost of transport, packaging and distribution.

injurai

Banned
No, but it's pretty hypocritical if you drive a car around, or ever take a plane for vacation.
There's better places to make cuts - eating meat averages out as 1-1.5t of co2 per year, assuming one was a fairly heavy consumer of beef before, and cutting beef is nearly equivalent to going vegetarian (Pork, chicken and other meats don't fart nearly as much)
foodprint5.gif

foodkCal1.gif

On that note, i've gone (practically) beefless for ecologic reasons.

If I eat more vegetables then I'm just shifting the cows methane footprint to myself.

Soybean

I don't eat vegetables and eat as much meat as possible.

Someone has to stand up for the rights of the plants. They are lifeforms too, yet vegans want to slaughter them wholesale just so they can be picky eaters.

#SaveThePlants

If I eat more vegetables then I'm just shifting the cows methane footprint to myself.

While you're being facetious (presumably), you'll use far fewer plants eating them directly rather than feeding shitloads of them to animals that you then eat. It's just more efficient to eat the plants yourself.

ngower

Who cares? I'm vegan. I don't really make a big fuss about it. It doesn't come up unless I'm ordering somewhere with friends or coworkers or family or whatever. I find that so many times it's the meateaters getting all preachy and up-in-arms about what I eat.

Again, who cares? If vegans fail, so be it. Why does anyone care what someone else is eating unless it's like a human fetus or something?

ShyMel

As someone who became a vegetarian back in 2013 I can definitely see why some people switch back. While most people I know are very supportive of my decision (in fact me becoming a vegetarian helped my mom decide to cut red meat out of her diet, which has improved her health), I have run across less than supportive people. I do feel that the social awkwardness that it can create (not eating at certain restaurants, constant barrage of questions about where you get protein/iron/etc from, people who think that you believe yourself to be superior to them) causes many people to switch back to a more typical diet.

Trey

I'll go vegan when sythentic meats are highly available and economical.

I don't have anything against veganism... but the lust for meat is too strong buddy.

Like, if they told me that jerking off would produce a ton of CO2 each time... I'd be like.... I'm sorry environment.

I hope you're happy. Al Gore is rolling over in his grave.

So would you argue that it is better to do nothing than to try to do something to limit ecological impact?

Are carbon taxes hypocritical and it should just be a free for all? Am I to understand that being a "hypocrite" is worse than trying to limit your ecological impact?

Soybean

My wife is vegan and therefore we know many vegans, almost all of them for ethical reasons. Our experience is that ethical vegans are vastly more likely to stick with it than those who do it for health or environmental reasons.

trixx

I'd love adhere to a vegetarian based diet at least cut down drastically on the meat consumption some time in the future. Maybe once I leave home I could try to exercise such a diet for a bit

Thinking of ethics and health reasons surrounding it, I don't really understand why one should be opposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom