• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT Op-Ed: "The End of Meat is Here"

Durask

Why can't liberals just leave people the fuck alone

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C. S. Lewis

zombrex

My belief is that a big reason behind the push to stop eating meat is related to the rise of China and developing nations whose meat consumption is increasing massively year on year. So we have a situation in meat producing countries like Australia and USA where the availability of meat (especially higher quality cuts) is decreasing while the price is increasing year on year. So to keep the masses placated and distract them from the rising costs they are promoting meat free / low meat lifestyles. So shut up and eat your soy paste steak and like it peasant.

A lot of the food we produce here in Australia is already out of the price range or simply unavailable to the average Australian. Coronavirus has been a huge wake up call because we are now suddenly seeing high quality cuts of meat on supermarket shelves that were never before widely available.

Last edited:

TheMan

Yeah. I want to try Kobe beef too but it is literally impossible to get it here - 99.999% of what's labeled here as Kobe beef is fake.

Yes fake, or perhaps barely true only in a technical sense. Like the cow you're eating from only had a small percentage of true Japanse Wagyu lineage. The terms are unfortunately unregulated so yeah, impossible to enforce. And then restaurants go and make ground beef out of it anyways, which completely negates the positive attributes of well-marbled beef.

My ads are having none of it.

vJemcr8.jpg

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C. S. Lewis
A war cry if I ever heard one.

Durask

how would you describe the taste? I've heard people call it steak-flavored butter

I've never eaten Kobe - as I said, you really need to go to Japan to eat it.

Well, you can buy it here but...

Top Bottom