• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 84% of Vegetarians and Vegans give up on the diet and return to meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animals-and-us/201412/84-vegetarians-and-vegans-return-meat-why

The implications of this study are important. Only 2% of Americans do not eat any animal products. (This number has not changed appreciably for 20 years). Further, the fact that five out of six vegetarians go back to eating meat suggests that an all-veggie diet is very hard for most people to maintain over the long haul. Hence, the authors of the report argue that animal protectionists would be better off concentrating their efforts to persuade “the many” to reduce their consumption of flesh than trying to convince “the few” to take the absolutist route and give up meat completely. Sounds right to me.

Squalor

5 out of 6 vegetarians return to eating meat.

6 out of 6 still tell you about how their vegetarian diet is the best.

It's not surprising that extremism for something like this doesn't stick for the vast majority of people.

People in this country definitely eat way too much meat (particularly hormone- and steroid-fed meat), but that doesn't mean it needs to be set aside completely.

Nosgotham

Cuz everyone wants to go cold turkey. You gotta slowly go vegetarian. Like instead of eating meat every day?m, go 4 times s week while you figure out what protein sources you like and fit your eating habits. Doing it for the right reasons also helps.

By that, I mean do it for a reason YOU think is good. Is it to save animals or to be healthier??

That's honestly a higher number than I expected.

Funny how vegetarians/vegans always get upset when people look at them with a skeptical eye when they proudly annouce their new meat free lifestyle. Proof positive the vast, vast majority of them are going to come back and our skepticism is warranted.

willow ve

It's not surprising that extremism for something like this doesn't stick for the vast majority of people.

People in this country definitely eat way too much meat (particularly hormone- and steroid-fed meat), but that doesn't mean it needs to be set aside completely.
How do you find a vegan at a dinner party?
Don't worry about it, they'll tell you.

TI82

Banned
Did they lose their vegan powers?

200.gif

entremet

I think reducing meat consumption than full abstention is a more practical from an environment advocacy point of view.

We do eat way too much meat and now China is getting a taste for more meat as their population continues to get out of poverty.

I've been reducing my intake over the years, and it's just much easier for eating out and social events than a blanket ban on eating animal foods.

Ethical arguments for the diet don't convince me at all.

Good luck trying to find good vegetarian food in the USA. I go many months without eating meat, but if I have to go out/travel, I won't find much beyond a salad at most restaurants.

Edit:
why would anyone abandon meat
delicious
Consumes lots of resources and one of the most significant sources of green house gases.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
hey none of the meat we eat is endangered

i can see myself not eating meat save for holidays or something if my digestion became an issue then it would have to be worth the trouble to down a super southwestern chilli burger supreme deluxe.

why would anyone abandon meat
delicious

What I don't get is when meat eaters (and I eat meat) get all moralist with which meat they eat. Like I can eat pig, but not dog or horse? Or cat? Why not?

How do you find a vegan at a dinner party?
Don't worry about it, they'll tell you.

I swear the people that make these jokes are the same people who complain about gays "shoving it down our throats" when they casually mentioning having a same sex SO.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My sister has been vegan for about five or six years now; was vegetarian before that. Her vegan diet, along with a good workout routine, allowed her to lose about 40lbs, maintain, and now has a very active and healthy lifestyle; and a much, much better mood and disposition.

My mother has been vegetarian for about six or seven years now, and is also in the most healthy state I can remember her in since being born 26 years ago.

It's not for everyone. They don't push it on others. They don't push it on me (though I avoid hormone and steroid-riddled meat as best I can). It's just for them. They don't even bring it up at gatherings, family events, etc. They don't say no to any restaurants. Worst case they eat by themselves before or after. They bring their own vegan dishes to potlucks that are just as good as anything else, and aren't offended if people still don't want it.

And yet the hate they get is out of control. Just the fact people know they have these diets, others bring it up constantly about how it's unhealthy, or unnecessary, or stupid, or that they lack this vitamin or aren't getting enough X or Y. It's pretty sad, honestly. Especially because, while there are outliers (of course), I'd wager they have a more healthy and balanced diet than 90% of the folks giving them a hard time. They live off veggies and beans and soy. I've never seen them eat anything that looks 1/10th as terrible for me as Taco Bell.

Futureman

Good luck trying to find good vegetarian food in the USA. I go many months without eating meat, but if I have to go out/travel, I won't find much beyond a salad at most restaurants.

joke post? Not true at all. I dunno maybe if you are rural Wisconsin or something. Any major US city has good vegetarian and increasing vegan options.

Greddleok

That's not true. I was a vegetarian for 3 years. Switched back to meat and lost like 10Kg, stopped dreaming about meat every night and had energy to exercise more.

I wasn't even an unhealthy vegetarian, I ate shit loads of eggs, beans and rice. If synthetic meat becomes a thing any time soon, I'll probably switch to that.

What I don't get is when meat eaters (and I eat meat) get all moralist with which meat they eat. Like I can eat pig, but not dog or horse? Or cat? Why not?

Because they taste bad. Also dogs will soon have human rights, along with great apes, dolphins and A.I.

I'm a really shitty vegetarian and eat meat every now and then. A lot of it is just that I don't like the taste of most meats. I'm not doing it for ethical reasons and don't want to put a burden on the people I eat with so I'll eat it when I'm out or when I get a craving for something.

Being vegetarianish is nice and I feel a lot healthier than I did when I was younger but there's a lot that goes into that. I think just being aware of my diet is helpful.

Most of my vegetarian friends either went back to eating meat or are incredibly annoying though.

Been a vegetarian now for 13 years, honestly don't see me ever going back to eating meat unless synthetic meat becomes a commercial product.

V_Arnold

Is that ecological argument actually incorrect from a factual standpoint?

No, it is NOT. Back this up with something, do not just dismiss it please.
Which is funny since I could back it up too, but I am out of time for that.

But no, it is not incorrect.
Of course, you can be wasteful with vegetarian diet (tons of dairy, flewn across the world vs local farm-sourced animals) , but that is an outline, not the norm.

Eos

Never have and I probably never will but I guess this study applies to people who used to eat meat

they all return, some just die before they do it

severely diminished consumption is enough for me tbh, and i still feel a little guilty anyway

Fuchsdh

I'm surprised the raw numbers are so low, but I guess that's what happens when you live in urban areas or places with a high student population; you start thinking half the population is gay and/or vegan, when it's really just your skewed perspective.

Starting the article off with a random anecdote struck the wrong tone, though. Just get to the facts.

Given how generally miserable efforts to stop vices have been, for example anti-smoking ads, I'm not sure what's the best path to getting people to consume less meat for the ecological benefits besides straight-up taxation.

And yet the hate they get is out of control. Just the fact people know they have these diets, others bring it up constantly about how it's unhealthy, or unnecessary, or stupid, or that they lack this vitamin or aren't getting enough X or Y. It's pretty sad, honestly.

Most meat eaters (and I do eat meat myself), are the equivalent of internet fedora warrior atheists when it comes to any belief system that isn't Christianity.

Any vegetarian is instantly a moron, just like how r/atheist types argue any religious person is a moron. But of course one type of close mindedness is accepted, the other isn't.

Before or after making a bunch of judgmental posts?

The irony.

I swear the people that make these jokes are the same people who complain about gays "shoving it down our throats" when they casually mentioning having a same sex SO.
This

People give me shit cause I wanna eat the homeless people in my city and its so annoying, what's the difference between them and tuna? We are all animals this is a fact.

Samara

Cutting all animals product because you've seen a movie or video. Then shock value wears out, return to meat.

Nothing wrong with at least trying. Meat is consumed way too much.

This

People give me shit cause I wanna eat the homeless people in my city and its so annoying, what's the difference between them and tuna? We are all animals this is a fact.

People are people. Not people are not people. Can you actually give me a solid reason for why I should be able to eat cow or pig but not horse? I eat cow and pig. Why the fuck can I not eat horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom