• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About 84% of Vegetarians and Vegans give up on the diet and return to meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's usually based on the conditions the cows are kept in and how they are handled.

I think out of all the farm animals cows have made the most progress to better treatment. From places I've seen the machines, the schedule, the space the whole process the cows look forward to it and volunteer enthusiastically to be milked. And i've been to these places physically. However this might only be the case in my country. Who knows.

artificial_insemination_dairy_cow_diagram.jpg

Looks enjoyable.

Seriously though, how commonplace is this? This is the first time i've seen it.

Fury451

Banned
I've increased my fruits and veg intake, and balanced out my meat better. It works well.

Trying to live vegetarian really screwed up my body and my energy for awhile. Just couldn't make it work for me.

kswiston

I don't get why some folks completely 100% stay away from animal products. Just look at our teeth, we are meant to eat meat!

Our teeth are closer to herbivores than they are carnivores. All of the great apes have primarily plant/fruit based diets with some opportunistic insect and animal eating thrown in. Our teeth (and stomachs) evolved to do the same. We basically have the similar dentition to gorillas or chimps with less pronounced canines:

4fb6f762a3706.image.jpg

At some point, increasing human intelligence/social structures lead to more efficient hunting, so meat consumption increased relative to other apes. Our teeth haven't had much time to change in response to that though. They probably won't either, because cooked meat cut into small pieces is pretty easy to chew.

andycapps

I can understand morally not eating meat due to the oversaturation of the complete misuse of animals in slaughterhouses etc. Even eating eggs from caged hens. But things like dairy, where cows find it an enjoyable experience to be milked I don't understand.

There are ways around that if you feel uncomfortable about how animals are raised or slaughtered. Free range meat, cage free hens, etc. At some point it's going to boil down to whether the person feels it's "wrong" or not in their eyes to eat animals, or animal products.

Shaffield

There are ways around that if you feel uncomfortable about how animals are raised or slaughtered. Free range meat, cage free hens, etc. At some point it's going to boil down to whether the person feels it's "wrong" or not in their eyes to eat animals, or animal products.

This is mostly true, but I have several distinct ethical, environmental, and dietary reasons for being vegan, so simply "right vs. wrong" is not really how it works.

For instance I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with eating free range beef, but after not eating red meat for almost 5 years I can't digest it well, plus I make an effort to stay away from foods high in cholesterol.

Cheddahz

Banned
I was a vegetarian for three and a half years of my life during high school and I don't regret it at all, but I'm glad that I've included meat back into my diet (and though I do eat it now, I stick to a good number of meatless dishes)

Hypron

This ain't look like no milking operation I've ever seen...

Milking is only part of the process. Cows don't produce milk unless they have calves (which have to be taken away). Hence they get inseminated which isn't pleasant at all. Plus the veal industry can be very cruel.

If you're against animal cruelty milking isn't really that much better than eating the meat.

Empty

ppl change over time, their priorities become different. it's a significant commitment. if you stop eating meat for two years you functionally halved your carbon footprint for that period. nothing to sniff at.

ultimately i feel like people should be thinking more about how they can have a diet less dependent on meat for every dish - a bizarre, unsustainable and uniquely modern creation with many negative externalities - a choice which has many benefits for you and the rest of the world, than how they feel about the behaviour traits of people who do or do not choose to absolve from eating meat or animal products at all which is not really that important.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Vat grown meat. Everyone wins, including animals and the environment . I don't get any extra enjoyment out of a steak because a cow suffered.

bsp

Humans are pretty fickle, aren't we.

Sounds like the girl's anecdote boils down to not being able to cook. The switch to veganism was one of the easiest "life-style" changes I ever made, yet she somehow couldn't even keep herself full on a vegetarian diet? For the short period when I was just veg, the options still seemed limitless for food.

Plant-based diets are surely the future, I just wonder how long until more of the world realizes it.

Fury451

Banned
Humans are pretty fickle, aren't we.

Sounds like the girl's anecdote boils down to not being able to cook. The switch to veganism was one of the easiest "life-style" changes I ever made, yet she somehow couldn't even keep herself full on a vegetarian diet? For the short period when I was just veg, the options still seemed limitless for food.

Plant-based diets are surely the future, I just wonder how long until more of the world realizes it.

What do you mean by 'plant-based'? I've heard that used to interchangeably describe vegan or vegetarian lifestyles, as well as diets that are largely plant-focused, but still include meat to some degree, or fish (like the Mediterranean diet).

I thought it has been pretty conclusive that plant-heavy diets are favored while meat, if you want it, as the smaller portion rather than the focus; meaning it's not necessary to completely eliminate it if you do not want to.

akira28

Vat grown meat. Everyone wins, including animals and the environment . I don't get any extra enjoyment out of a steak because a cow suffered.

I get extra enjoyment out of eating something not grown in a chemical vat.

Just letting you all know, circa 2078, if I catch any of you refugees on my farm, you're going to be converted into meat.

bsp

What do you mean by 'plant-based'? I've heard that used to interchangeably describe vegan or vegetarian lifestyles, as well as diets that are largely plant-focused, but still include meat to some degree, or fish (like the Mediterranean diet).

It is most usually meant as a vegan diet but without necessarily the animal rights ideology. People who make the switch mainly for health reasons usually say "plant-based" diet to not get involved with activism.

By necessity the world cannot sustain itself on land-raised meat forever, thus eventually needing a mostly plant-based diet. I imagine some meat consumption will still exist as most may not yet support the ideas of compassion extension to other animals, but it will be limited. The majority will probably be lab-made -- if we're still eating traditional solid "meals."

Before or after making a bunch of judgmental posts?

Lol. All I see in this thread is judgmental posts about vegetarianism/veganism, vegan jokes, and generic "We're meant to eat meat" comments. As is always the case in threads like this, yet apparently we're the obnoxious ones.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They'd be better off advocating for change in factory farming than convincing people to stop eating meat.

Lol. All I see in this thread is judgmental posts about vegetarianism/veganism, vegan jokes, and generic "We're meant to eat meat" comments. As is always the case in threads like this, yet apparently we're the obnoxious ones.

"Meant to eat meat" implies some kind of higher power creating us in a certain way, which obviously gets tricky depending on who you're talking to and what they believe.

It's pretty inarguable to say that our bodies excel with meat, though.

akira28

I'm meant to eat meat. I don't know(or care) what you're meant to eat. My only concern is whether you're meant to be eaten.

pablito

While I hardly ever eat meat for breakfast, and have the occasional vegetarian lunch/dinner, giving up meat entirely would be tough for me. Let alone vegan or raw vegan.

I've had some vegan food that was delicious though.

I dated a girl who was a huge snob about her vegan lifestyle, like totally mentioning that she was a vegan all the time, both in and out of context. She was the center of attention at restaurants and parties because she'd get certain menu items altered to her liking. It was amazing how everybody around her became so uncomfortably deferential in attempts to appease her. Now, her instagram has tons of foie gras, rare steak, bacon, etc. all over it. So I asked her why the change and no more making a stand against animal cruelty or meat processing and she said something about how she was a victim of marketing in the college culture to get her to buy over priced vegan lifestyle foods/items ... yikes man

Tesseract

Banned
you guys should kill what you eat, hunting has made deer more plentiful than ever

i killed one of my chickens last night, lopped that suckers head off with a block of wood and an old fashioned axe.

26.2% of people have some sort of mental disorder, so what makes up the other 10.2%?

j/k. Vegetarians/vegans aren't crazy... just the militant ones.

I think when people choose to become vegetarian for social (Meat is Murder!) or health (Red meat == cancer) reasons, they're bound to fail. If you really like meat underneath all of that, you're going to come back to the fold eventually.

Saucy_XL

Banned
Love listening to relatives claim how unhealthy what I'm eating is, then next time I see them they are back to eating meat/eggs/cheese/etc.

It's always the same people too who claim vitamin C will cure your cancer and apple cider vinegar is literally healthier than water!

Most people have absolutely no resolve when it comes to anything, why is this important or news? And the gulf between veganism and more casual vegetarianism makes lumping them together practically agenda driven clickbait, both on the part of OP and the article.

just leave them to their own bullshit.

Eat meat, if you want, everyone, but don't celebrate it in this childish way. It's what you hate about some vegetarians, right? ...when they preach their view and seem so self-righteous.

Anyone who "quits" Veganism was never Vegan to begin with, as it's not a simple diet, it's a belief system and lifestyle change.

Vegetarians on the other hand are just a joke. Most of them never stopped eating meat and are usually disgusting.
It's funny because vegetarians say the same about vegans.

I'm meant to eat meat. I don't know(or care) what you're meant to eat. My only concern is whether you're meant to be eaten.

You seem to care well enough, going by your vitrolic respondes.

Eating meat is immoral due to the suffering most farm animals go through. I only do it because theres really no other option. Lets pray lab-meat becomes marketable soon.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I was vegetarian for like 7 years then vegan for 4 but then stopped when I moved to Japan. I don't really eat much meat at home but eating vegan outside in Japan is borderline impossible if you don't plan ahead all the time.

To be honest it was more so I wouldn't be a burden on others trying to agonize over where we could eat when we go out. At least in Canada there would always be something, even fries or whatever, but no so much here.

I do feel bad though I guess ┐(´ー`)┌

You seem to care well enough, going by your vitrolic respondes.

Eating meat is immoral due to the suffering most farm animals go through. I only do it because theres really no other option. Lets pray lab-meat becomes marketable soon.

This is a common thought if but you're against eating meat for moral reasons, not being factory farmed shouldn't matter. Even if you raised the animal from birth and it lived the greatest life possible, you're still going to kill it to eat it because you prefer the way it tastes compared to the alternative.

I was vegetarian for like 7 years then vegan for 4 but then stopped when I moved to Japan. I don't really eat much meat at home but eating vegan outside in Japan is borderline impossible if you don't plan ahead all the time.

To be honest it was more so I wouldn't be a burden on others trying to agonize over where we could eat when we go out. At least in Canada there would always be something, even fries or whatever, but no so much here.

I do feel bad though I guess ┐(´ー`)┌

This is a common thought if but you're against eating meat for moral reasons, not being factory farmed shouldn't matter. Even if you raised the animal from birth and it lived the greatest life possible, you're still going to kill it to eat it because you prefer the way it tastes compared to the alternative.

Farm animals dont have to go through the suffering they go by being raised the way they are in industrial. The outcome of death can be justified by evolution, but not the infernal quality of life. Theres a huuuuge difference, imo.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Farm animals dont have to go through the suffering they go by being raised the way they are in industrial. The outcome of death can be justified by evolution, but not the infernal quality of life. Theres a huuuuge difference, imo.

There's a difference of course but there isn't a good moral justification for killing an animal because of a taste preference IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom