• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT Op-Ed: "The End of Meat is Here"

Yeah, they gotta lay the ground work. They are pushing it socially first. Then they will implement policy to force the rest of us that don't conform to social pressures.

That's the way it always goes, unfortunately. And it will be subtle pressures too - taxes on meat, then restrictions on how much stores can carry, just like with soda, except in this case meat is literally what made humans what we are. Our intestines shortened as our brains and intelligence improved, letting us better digest the meat we used that improved intelligence to catch and free us from reliance on rarely available fruits and digging for roots. Meat empowered mankind.

I will never stop eating meat. Even if fake meat ends up being better tasting and cheaper I will still hunt, and fish, and eat animals. I will never stop eating meat, I mean never. I question the moral character of those who do not eat meat.

That's the way it always goes, unfortunately. And it will be subtle pressures too - taxes on meat, then restrictions on how much stores can carry, just like with soda, except in this case meat is literally what made humans what we are. Our intestines shortened as our brains and intelligence improved, letting us better digest the meat we used that improved intelligence to catch and free us from reliance on rarely available fruits and digging for roots. Meat empowered mankind.
Very true. They will also ostracize you as a racist and a bigot for eating meat.

Humdinger

Same here, went Keto, mostly carnivore and have never been healthier. bloodwork comes back perfect every physical now.

Same here as well. Mostly carnivore for the past two years, with major improvements in health, all across the board.

Get rid of meat? That's a retarded suggestion. Human beings and their direct ancestors have been eating meat for 2 million years, as a main staple of their diet. Many researchers think that eating meat is what made us human -- it was the only food nutrient-dense enough to allow the massive expansion of our brains.

Meat has all the essential nutrients we need, in the most bioavailable form, without any anti-nutrients. Meat is health food.

There is no good science that shows that eating meat is harmful to human beings. Nor would it even make sense for that to be the case -- for something we've eaten abundantly for millions of years suddenly to be "bad for us." Stupid. Any epidemilogical (correlational) data is crap, because it's confounded by a variety of factors, chief among them healthy user bias.

I could go on, but I'll stop. I think the whole "meat is bad" thing is absolutely ridiculous and completely wrong.

Riven326

Banned
I eat meat and veggies with every meal. I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Bbq chicken with some carrots. Mashed potatoes. Replacing that with bugs... uh, no. But hey, if other people want to eat bugs, go for it.

Never going to stop beating my meat.

2yDWpnQ.gif

But I look like those vegetarian/vegan meats though. Especially the ones made from black bean.

Mistake

Diets in the US are just a giant mess. Finally some studies are coming out, showing how processed foods and grains are actually causing people to gain weight, simply because it’s easier to overeat, or get more calories in smaller portions. They’re also easier to digest and make you hungry faster. Protein is the way to go, along with some vegetables

Cutty Flam

Banned
I sort of wish there was a revolutionary person who just had it in him or her to usher in a new wave of health through his/her Vegan lifestyle

I want to go Vegan for several reasons, but for many of us, giving up meat is giving up more than just the food staples. It’s turning your back on so many different options and experiences, and walking forward towards a much healthier path but it comes with a lot of change. I gave up pork since 2014. I eat a lot of vegan choices and have been eating vegan or vegetarian for half of every day for a while now. Hope to eventually be fully vegan and eating well enough to not even desire animal options again. But again, it’s tough, just not there yet

Despera

Banned
I'm healthiest on a mainly meat diet.

Unless a reasonably priced alternative comes out that genuinely looks, smells, tastes and nourishes the same as real meat or better I won't waste time pondering this subject.

bender

What time is it?
Factory farming is disguising. The waste from pig farms is nightmare fuel. That type of animal density is unnatural but we've become good at defying nature. Modern medicine and amenities has lead to increased life spans and overpopulation. The solution isn't less meat, it's less humans. Jeff Goldblum is famous for his "life finds a way" quip from Jurassic Park. In the same vein, nature has a way of course correcting.

In conclusion.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there never any kind of discussion allowed with these clowns. It's always, "Sit & listen to my idiotic lecture, plebs. If you disagree in any way, then you are clearly a terrible, terrible person."

The wife makes these incredible Philly cheese steak sandwiches. Think I'll have one for lunch today.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why is there never any kind of discussion allowed with these clowns. It's always, "Sit & listen to my idiotic lecture, plebs. If you disagree in any way, then you are clearly a terrible, terrible person."

The wife makes these incredible Philly cheese steak sandwiches. Think I'll have one for lunch today.

The whole ideology seems predicated on thinking you’re better/know better than everyone, and need to enlighten the ignorant/take down the evil, pretty much.

Which is a really fast way to become ignorant/evil.

GeorgPrime

Banned

More at the link.

And before anyone accuses me of being a vegan/vegetarian--I'm not nor will I ever be. I'm posting this because I am genuinely curious if others see the transition to a meatless society as the author of the article.

Nah i will just buy a house with a big garden and raise my own chickens for chicken meat.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I disagree.

Well you cant force people to become vegetarian. Before i give up on meat i will just raise my own chicken and kill them by hand.

If you want to force people by law in America or in Europe.... then its just like China.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Lets say America will now become a vegetarian country *lol* (i already see Marvels "Civil Food War")....

Instead of feeding maybe a minority of 2 Mio. vegetarians (its the average percentage of vegetarians today in a country) you will have to feed now around 340.000.000 Vegetarians.

So you have to take account for all the economic damages that will happen, all the jobs that will be lost, is possible to retain vegetarian life style for 340.000.000 people in the long run and other stuff

When everything is done Amerika will be a little happy vegetarian country and the rest of the world will just laugh at them.

On the other hand... they will have to produce meat anyway so other country can buy it and to not lose more money from import / export

For vegetarians its always "JEAH THATS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD" as long as they dont have to take responsibility for all the negative aspects.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So if the elites want to take your meat, are you already learning how to grow your own? Rabbits and fish would be a good place to start.

LordPezix

Well you cant force people to become vegetarian. Before i give up on meat i will just raise my own chicken and kill them by hand.

If you want to force people by law in America or in Europe.... then its just like China.

Well of course not. People will either adapt and accept one of the options presented to them or like yourself you say, farm and kill their own.

That is fully what I expect.

But like any new thing it takes years to truly find out its long term effects on us.

Real meat is tried and true.

Curious to know your point of view. Care to elaborate?

Well fruits and vegetables have been around just as long and they are tried and true as well.

Are you specifically talking about meat substitutes?

If you are I agree with you. Meat substitutes should be used sparingly and with caution. Most are a bunch of processed junk that provides an alternative but isn't healthier by any means in most cases.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So if the elites want to take your meat, are you already learning how to grow your own? Rabbits and fish would be a good place to start.

My wife grows veggies & fruit. We buy our meat & eggs from local ranchers/farmers. I recommend it if you can afford to pay for and store it. Same for the garden--fresh fruit & veg has a much better taste.

Joe Rogan had a guest (Joel Salatin) on his podcast this week discussing these topics. I'm still working through it, but the first half has been a great listen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My wife grows veggies & fruit. We buy our meat & eggs from local ranchers/farmers. I recommend it if you can afford to pay for and store it. Same for the garden--fresh fruit & veg has a much better taste.

Joe Rogan had a guest (Joel Salatin) on his podcast this week discussing these topics. I'm still working through it, but the first half has been a great listen.
Lots of folks in Michigan buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow (cut up into portions by a butcher) and freeze it. I'm sure it's not unique to Michigan. I'm building an indoor aquaponics setup with fish pool + float beds, so that'll be one source of meat. I can keep up to 5 hens in the city so that is next on the menu (probably next year or 2022).

I wonder if the inevitable emissions tax on meat will cause those smaller farmers who still provide meat direct-to-consumer to be pushed out of business due to the regulations (wouldn't be the first or second time...).

appaws

Banned
God gave us animals for food.

I do believe in responsible stewardship of animals. This factory farming thing we have set up is pretty gross. I believe that right up to being dispatched, the animals should get to live in the most natural way possible. I try to put my money towards “free range” etc., but to be honest I always wonder if some of that is marketing bullshit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Lots of folks in Michigan buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow (cut up into portions by a butcher) and freeze it. I'm sure it's not unique to Michigan. I'm building an indoor aquaponics setup with fish pool + float beds, so that'll be one source of meat. I can keep up to 5 hens in the city so that is next on the menu (probably next year or 2022).

I wonder if the inevitable emissions tax on meat will cause those smaller farmers who still provide meat direct-to-consumer to be pushed out of business due to the regulations (wouldn't be the first or second time...).

I buy a half beef, whole pig, half lamb, whole turkey, and 12-20 chickens each year. It's definitely not limited to Michigan.

Last edited:

TheMan

I love meat, in fact I'm seriously considering dropping a few hundred through Crowdcow to get a couple of Wagyu steak. It's on the bucket list.

That said, I do agree that the writing is on the wall for the red meat industry as we know it if humanity gets their shit together and does something serious about global warming. I don't think that means meat will ever truly go away, but I wouldn't be surprised if natural grown meat, even the stuff we consider cheap shit, became as expensive as Wagyu even for entry level cuts. The rest of us will eat either lab-grown meat or meat substitutes.

Certainly if humanity ever expands beyond planet earth (oh that sweet dream seems so far away now), meat like we know it will be absolutely unsustainable. It will sound like some fairy tale to Mars kids in 2120.

Last edited:

MrRogers

We eat bugs, powdered grain and soy, the elite continues to have sirloin, duck and lobster. We become dumb, weak and docile. They stay smart, strong and in charge.... The progs are literally telling us step by step what think and what they want to do us that Its so goddamn easy nowadays to be modern nostradamus.

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you get rid of pigs and cows I guess I'll have to start eating bats and pangolins. Good job, liberals.

entremet

When was the last time a NYT opinion piece actually made sense?

All I know this weekend I’m BBQn a lot of delicious meat.
This is not officially the NYT. It's Jonathan Safran Foer, a novelist who has been anti-meat for a long time. Ppl still don't get newspapers lol. Official NYT positions are on the editorial page, which is opposite the opinion pages, which is a soapbox for anyone. NYT Opinion pages do lean left, although they have do have a lot of conservative op-eds, which angers many of my fellow liberals on Twitter lol.

I'm an omnivore, but I don't like factory farm production. However, I'm also privileged. I can afford it. Not everyone can afford stuff from regenerative farms.

Also, if we really want to think about the environment (and I"m an environmentalist), we should focus on renewable energy and get off fossil fuels.

You can't shame people into giving up meat. That's my issue with these types of takes. They come off as very self-righteous. They also ignore that many culinary traditions have animal products. Some of the best in the world. Should we just promote a type of cultural erasure? It's complex. We should definitely eat less factory-farmed meat.

There's also stuff like the Brazilian rainforest being torched by ranchers due to the growing meat demand.

I'm conflicted myself. At the same time, I'm shifting more toward regenerative farms.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I love meat, in fact I'm seriously considering dropping a few hundred through Crowdcow to get a couple of Wagyu steak. It's on the bucket list.

That said, I do agree that the writing is on the wall for the red meat industry as we know it if humanity gets their shit together and does something serious about global warming. I don't think that means meat will ever truly go away, but I wouldn't be surprised if natural grown meat, even the stuff we consider cheap shit, became as expensive as Wagyu even for entry level cuts. The rest of us will eat either lab-grown meat or meat substitutes.

Certainly if humanity ever expands beyond planet earth (oh that sweet dream seems so far away now), meat like we know it will be absolutely unsustainable. It will sound like some fairy tale to Mars kids in 2120.

Wagyu is my favorite meat. Just want to try Kobe meat from japan sooner or later

Top Bottom