• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A great big f**k you to Sony for this month's PS Plus line-up...

Corndog

Banned
Ive noticed this website is overly critical of Sony in general. There is nothing they can do to please the masses. They just had months of back to back weekly sales before black friday even started, and gamers are pisses the selection is not what they liked, even after what they gave up the previous 3 months. Ive collected like 11-15 games with the saving the offered along with the ps plus games. Unreasonable expectations, considering the selection they're offering has been better than what Xbox GWG has offered. In some peoples eyes, Sony has to be perfect, while Nintendo and Xbox shortcomings are overlooked. Its laughable when you compare what GWG has offered.
Do a poll. This site most definitely leans PlayStation.

isoRhythm

Banned
I think it's because Sony fans are far more critical of their favorite company than the xbox and nintendo fans. I dont know why that is. Maybe xbox fans are just more loyal and more forgiving? But I like this about Sony fans. They dont take no shit from anyone. If someone lies to them about cross gen games, they are gonna call him out. If someone lies to them about PC ports being a one off thing and then a few months later, they start porting everything to PC, you know they are gonna get called out. It's refreshing tbh.

I also think Sony has had an atrocious year from a PR perspective. They have zero exclusives for the holiday season. They skipped E3 which is pretty much unforgivable in this day and age. Their state of plays have been utterly abysmal with Deathloop appearing in 19 consecutive state of plays at one point. They tried closing PS3 and vita stores. They have begun to charge people for next gen resolution and framerate upgrades that are given away free by everyone from money hungry evil corps like EA and Activision to indie devs with 4 man teams. Even Microsoft offered a free next gen upgrade for Doom to Playstation gamers this year. Jimbo learned nothing from last year's fiasco over Horizon and Miles and continued to keep GOW and GT7's cross gen status a secret for over a year. GOW doesnt even look like it had any effort put into visuals. The owner of this site thought it looked like an expansion. Can you blame the site's users and the hardcore sony fans for expecting more?

They typically dominate the news by producing GOTY caliber titles every year. this year, not so much. So every fuck up is amplified.
I think it's awesome Sony fans are extra critical of Sony, it keeps them on their toes. Also about holiday exclusives, Sony has never been big on on releasing holiday titles. I think Jimbo commented on it saying he wanted to give the holiday season to 3rd parties (that's why every PS exclusive in the last 2-3 yrs has been a spring/summer release) but I might be remembering wrong. I don't mind the games coming to PS Plus this month, I just hate how you aren't eligible for upgrades, its so annoying.

FunkMiller

Ive noticed this website is overly critical of Sony in general. There is nothing they can do to please the masses. They just had months of back to back weekly sales before black friday even started, and gamers are pisses the selection is not what they liked, even after what they gave up the previous 3 months. Ive collected like 11-15 games with the saving the offered along with the ps plus games. Unreasonable expectations, considering the selection they're offering has been better than what Xbox GWG has offered. In some peoples eyes, Sony has to be perfect, while Nintendo and Xbox shortcomings are overlooked. Its laughable when you compare what GWG has offered.

I’ll never understand this mentality as long as I live. Sony are a massive global corporation… not some mom and pop store that can’t survive criticism. Why feel the need to defend them when they make what are objectively poor decisions? What’s more important to you? Being nice to Sony? Or fostering an environment of healthy criticism that forces better consumer practises, if enough people call out greedy corporate bullshit?

The absolute same applies to XBox. And I‘ve voiced both criticism and compliment towards them too.

…I don‘t know much about Nintendo, because they’re only liked by nazis and perverts, obviously.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Give them their due props, Xbox and its smart delivery approach is a massive winner in terms of the optics.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Playstation's cross-gen strat a mess, but its definitely messier and clunkier than it should be. Especially as it keeps generating backlash like this over only PS4 or PS5 versions being offered.

I can rationalize what they are doing and why they are doing it, but you really have to ask why they didn't see it coming and plan accordingly.

People can criticize Sony/MS/Nintendo all they want, but don't dare put them in the same bucket as EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Take-2, those companies are on whole other level of scum.

yea i've criticised sony alot this year but they are no where near those scummy companies. not even close. people are so hard on sony because of the extremly good reputation they have had over the last 10 years. when they cut back on some of that consumer friendlyness, its easy to notice but ultimately, its nothing compared to some of the shit other companies try to pull.

Topher

Gold Member
I'd guess it is a restriction from the developer/publisher. We'll give you the old version but not the new version as the new version is more likely to sell.

This is why I'm at the point that I'm going to stop paying money for subscriptions. If I end up having to buy the game to get the free upgrade then what is the point in the subscription at all?

Quick someone make an "A great big f**k you to MS for this month's GWG line-up" thread

lol....yeah, that'll happen.

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

Actually... I think Is even worse.

Not even close. Jim Ryan didn't artificially inflate the price of the PS5 with an accessory like Kinect or concoct some ridiculous scheme to limit the possibility of used games or let first party studios fall apart and flounder under his leadership.

Last edited:

Eimran

Free games have always been crap in the holidays period. People are not gonna buy triple A games for christmas when they can get them for "free" on PS Plus.

Boss Mog

It doesn’t cost 180 unless you are getting ultimate.
GPU is the one that would cost 180 per year and includes XCloud and GamePass PC. Also you may be aware that there are ways to pay less than full price for GP.
PS+ includes online play so if you want to just compare the value of the games added to both services you must compare it to ultimate which includes gold (the xbox only sub doesn't), I thought that much would be obvious.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Elizabeth Warren should do something about this. Launch an investigation. Subpoena Jim Ryan.

FrankWza

Someone should tweet and ask the developer themselves. It's like what? 4 guys? And they seem to respond.
I really don't understand the logic behind what Sony is doing here. If a game has a free upgrade to PS5 version then how in the world are PS+ subscribers not getting the upgraded version? Makes no sense.
They should just make this right and the devs should want it to be since it’s the superior version of their game.

bender

What time is it?
This is why I'm at the point that I'm going to stop paying money for subscriptions. If I end up having to buy the game to get the free upgrade then what is the point in the subscription at all?

I get where you are coming from but on the other hand, it's Mortal Shell. I doubt I'll even download it for free which speak even less highly of the quality of the service. lol

BlackTron

Holy crap, a demo version of a game is locked behind PS+?

Not gonna lie, I have a PS4 Pro with a ton of physical games I haven't even touched yet (I focused on GoT lol), I think I made the right choice grabbing a Pro last summer and waiting on PS5...

I'll be using my Series X with Gamepass for a while...I'll check up on Sony again when the PS5 slim/pro/deluxe/revision/whatever drops...hope they have their shit together by that point.

I think it's because Sony fans are far more critical of their favorite company than the xbox and nintendo fans. I dont know why that is. Maybe xbox fans are just more loyal and more forgiving? But I like this about Sony fans. They dont take no shit from anyone. If someone lies to them about cross gen games, they are gonna call him out. If someone lies to them about PC ports being a one off thing and then a few months later, they start porting everything to PC, you know they are gonna get called out. It's refreshing tbh.

I also think Sony has had an atrocious year from a PR perspective. They have zero exclusives for the holiday season. They skipped E3 which is pretty much unforgivable in this day and age. Their state of plays have been utterly abysmal with Deathloop appearing in 19 consecutive state of plays at one point. They tried closing PS3 and vita stores. They have begun to charge people for next gen resolution and framerate upgrades that are given away free by everyone from money hungry evil corps like EA and Activision to indie devs with 4 man teams. Even Microsoft offered a free next gen upgrade for Doom to Playstation gamers this year. Jimbo learned nothing from last year's fiasco over Horizon and Miles and continued to keep GOW and GT7's cross gen status a secret for over a year. GOW doesnt even look like it had any effort put into visuals. The owner of this site thought it looked like an expansion. Can you blame the site's users and the hardcore sony fans for expecting more?

They typically dominate the news by producing GOTY caliber titles every year. this year, not so much. So every fuck up is amplified.
I think you and I see things completely differently.

Moreso than any other gaming company. Playstation fans have long been known for their refusal to criticize or dispute anti-consumer behavior from Sony. Ignoring, downplaying, or outright excusing poor decisions by Sony is what has kept the "For the payers" meme in constant circulation for years.

The Xbox One wasn't necessarily a bad console. But it did launch with some bad features, and even worse pr. Xbox fans across the board showed MS loud and clear exactly what they thought of those decisions. To the point that the division head was sacked, and Xbox spent almost an entire generation in the gutter trying to play catch up. When Xbox fans weren't satisfied with what they saw from Halo Infinite, MS was forced to delay it for a year, and launch their console without it's biggest exclusive. When word got out that MS planned to increase the price of XBL Gold, Xbox fans protested so fast that the decision was immediately backtracked.

When Sony released it's Xbox One equivalent with the PS3. Not only were the graphical comparisons worse, but so was the price. Despite that, the PS3 went on to sell quite well, and didn't garner near the uproar or pushback that the Xbox One did. Despite console crossplay being obviously beneficial for several games, and genres. We had to listen to Playstation fans make up every excuse they could think of to defend Sony's refusal. Even you yourself said that Sony has had a terrible year with pr. Yet according to many here, the PS5 is shattering sales records all over the place despite shortages.

Over the years, both MS and Sony have had ups and downs as far as pr and screwups. You can go back and look up Xbox's sales numbers, and you'll see a clear and defined correlation. That's nowhere near the case with Sony and Playstation. Good news or bad, consumer friendly or not, shady or non shady... The Playstation sells remarkably well regardless.

I just can't see how you see Playstation fans as routinely holding Sony accountable, and claim Xbox fans don't and are therefore more loyal.

Winter John

Gold Member
I can't remember the last time I downloaded any of the monthly games. Most of em have either been out for years or just plain shit. My sub runs out in March and I won't be renewing it unless I get a PS5, which I can't see happening anytime soon. XBox's monthly games are shit too as far as I can tell, but the difference there is obviously Gamepass and that's where the real value is.

Top Bottom