• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A great big f**k you to Sony for this month's PS Plus line-up...

skit_data

Isnt Mortal Shell that game that was made by a 4 person team? They added the dualsense and 4k 60 fps patches for free too. Crazy how Sony cheaped out of paying them for the better version. How much could they realistically be asking for? A million? two million? They have like 45 million PS+ subscribers. lol
Yeah, easily one of those games they could’ve put a few more dollars extra towards including the free upgrade.

Nautilus

Banned
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

The company quite clearly aren't fulfilling their part. PS Plus is advertised as a service to Playstation fans that provides free, full games to its subscribers on a monthly basis. They have not fulfilled this with the Godfall demo.

And you may work with sales... but I work in PR, and can promise you that there's nothing worse than the perception of a company not providing the service it promised. It's not entitlement on the part of the consumer to expect the service they have been offered in exchange for their money. If you don't understand that, maybe sales isn't for you.
That Godfall version is a travesty, true, but its still a game.

I do agree that this month is truly terrivle, but Im not complaining about this month especifically, but rather the overall complains Sony has been having in this regard.

PS Plus was always a bad deal in my opinion. Pay for a service for games that I dont even know what they are, and that 3/4 of the time are games that I have no interest in or have already played. But that is the deal you are getting into. A deal you knew what it was when you got into. So that constantly complaint about "Hell, this game's shit" makes no sense to me, because most of the games are obviously going to be mediocre, because mediocre(and games that bombed) are far cheaper than your FF 7 Remakes and whatnot. And in a service that you have to give "for free" anywhere from 24 to 48 games a year, well you need alot of mediocre games to fill that.

Another thing I dobt understand is the upgrade to PS5 needing to be free.No man, it doesn't.Work goes into these versions.And even for the ones that "dont", they are still products from another ecosystem, a purchase that wasnt in the deal when you got the PS4 version. If you are dissatisfied, go buy elsewhere, like in a Xbox for example. Sony doesn't own you nothing, and if sales are anything to go by, they dont even need to do that. If you are from PR as you said you are, you know that perception is subjetive.If that perception was really that bad, sales would decrease, and thats not the case.Why? Because the persception of the service is far better than you imply, that the people upset with the lack of free updates or Big Games on the service are a minority, mostly made up of forrum dwellers, because people are still content with the overall stuff that PS Plus gives(though I personally disagree), or that dont think that free updates should be mandatory(because you know, you buy new consoles to play new games).Same with 70 dollars games. People on forums find it absurd, but its working.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
...I mean, come the fuck on.

Godfall for free. Only it's not actually the whole game, it's only a bloody demo, with all of the story missions completely cut out, other than the tutorial.

Mortal Shell for free. Only it's the Ps4 version, and they've blocked you from upgrading to the 60fps 4k Ps5 version.

You greedy, stingy bastards, Sony :ROFLMAO:
I'm telling you that with Jim Ryan, these are horrible and difficult times.

I stopped subscribing to PS Plus for him. And I am more supporting a Nintendo Switch and PC.

If you want this to end and put a competent person who respects his public, stop buying Playstation products or at least just get the exclusives, the other versions on PC and other consoles.

FunkMiller

Is this hyperbole of the year?

Get over it and enjoy the holidays. Good grief.

I can come with you but to the temper tantrum level high school "I wish I was never born/I'm going to my room" slam the door level I cannot.

Hyperbolic to criticise a company for being stingy… when they are clearly being stingy.

…right.

And temper tantrum? Get down off your high horse, chief. no temper tantrums here… but maybe some over exaggeration on your part in your need to defend.

It’s perfectly okay to have a pop at the big blue gaming company when they fuck something up.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I honestly feel like a console warrior these days with how much shit I talk on Sony. Thing is, I've played Playstation consoles more than any other and I am a big fan of the brand. PS1-4 were all my main, if not only, consoles of the previous generations. They're just constantly annoying me these last few years, however.

This is just another example. When was the last time Sony actually made news for something that made their audience smile and cheer? Yes, their games are great, and that is the most important thing, but it is not everything.

Last edited:

Aenima

PS+ this yeah has actually been pretty good with great offers, but the last 3 or 4 months has been pretty bad. This month feels especially hard to swallow considering its Chrismas and you would expect it to be better than usually, but nop.

The PS5 game offered its incomplete, and Mortal Shell that got a free upgrade to PS5 is locked to be the PS4 version with no free upgrade.

In my country they added an extra game for this month, Ion Drivers. But its a indie Wipeout clone that dosent interest me.

Hestar69

that godfall shit is TRASH...it's even free this week on epic. NO THANKS! Atleast last month we got kingdoms of alalkakamra whatever that's good.

Ive noticed this website is overly critical of Sony in general. There is nothing they can do to please the masses. They just had months of back to back weekly sales before black friday even started, and gamers are pisses the selection is not what they liked, even after what they gave up the previous 3 months. Ive collected like 11-15 games with the saving the offered along with the ps plus games. Unreasonable expectations, considering the selection they're offering has been better than what Xbox GWG has offered. In some peoples eyes, Sony has to be perfect, while Nintendo and Xbox shortcomings are overlooked. Its laughable when you compare what GWG has offered.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How do you guys get the PS4 version of Mortal Shell while Gamepass gets the Series X version?

Because PS+ isn't the equivalent of Game Pass at all. That doesn't mean this month doesn't suck any less, but Game Pass isn't the correct comparison. That would be GWG.

FrankWza

Ive noticed this website is overly critical of Sony in general. There is nothing they can do to please the masses. They just had months of back to back weekly sales before black friday even started, and gamers are pisses the selection is not what they liked, even after what they gave up the previous 3 months. Ive collected like 11-15 games with the saving the offered along with the ps plus games. Unreasonable expectations, considering the selection they're offering has been better than what Xbox GWG has offered. In some peoples eyes, Sony has to be perfect, while Nintendo and Xbox shortcomings are overlooked. Its laughable when you compare what GWG has offered.
Sony is a company that needs to rethink its pricing structure, has a habit of giving the wrong free games, has odd appearing characters that are held in vain that appear in the years worst games, makes poor design choices and has customers that are constantly impressed by other hardware. It’s mess of a company.
keyser GIF

Last edited:

Aenima

Dude, even when Sony offered 11 games for free this year with no need to be subscribed to any service, there was ppl here complaining about the games. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
No matter how good a PS+ month is there will always be ppl complaining about it. ALWAYS. And is not just here, even on Playstation blog i see ppl complaining even in the best months, thers always some entitled toddler that wanted something else.

This month though, i agree with the complaints.

Batiman

Banned
I’m starting to think more and more each day that I might not need a ps5 at all… Sony been shitting the bed lately

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I remember a time in like the ps3/ vita era when ps+ was actually good. Then they tied it to online play and it almost immediately went to shit.

Good thing I never felt the need to play any sony games online.

tommib

Everyone needs to unsubscribe from this shit. It's getting worse and worse with every month.

It's... Not even the same thing...
If it wasn’t for Elden Ring and GT7 coming soon I would’ve unsubscribed by now. For sure, I’ll stop my subscription after exhausting the multiplayer in those 2 games. I never play any of the PS+ games. My quality backlog is too big. The PS+ games are too shit.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hyperbolic to criticise a company for being stingy… when they are clearly being stingy.

…right.

And temper tantrum? Get down off your high horse, chief. no temper tantrums here… but maybe some over exaggeration on your part in your need to defend.

It’s perfectly okay to have a pop at the big blue gaming company when they fuck something up.
No it is okay that you have a pop at the big old company isn't the main point. I stand by everything I said you can react like a child and throw all the slander and the words you want but if that is the exact same way you would act in front of adults and let that out in that form then I would hate to be hanging around you since I don't know react about anything that's not that important.

To repeat so there's no misunderstanding, you are free to feel and think what you think but there's better ways to articulate it and again you can refer to my original statement because I don't back down from that. Have a great day and try to not get so worked up about shit that doesn't matter in your personal life.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Gave the PS4 Mortal Shell a try on PS5.....yeah, its unresponsive garbage. Controls are horribly sluggish and it just feels off, not sure what it is. Maybe its their trick to get you to upgrade to the PS5 version but not me. Id have been pissed if i bought this jank

Aenima

Gave the PS4 Mortal Shell a try on PS5.....yeah, its unresponsive garbage. Controls are horribly sluggish and it just feels off, not sure what it is. Maybe its their trick to get you to upgrade to the PS5 version but not me. Id have been pissed if i bought this jank
Is it locked at 30fps? I added the game to my library but will probably never download it. Have better things to play thank to the promos going on.

AmuroChan

Personally, I don't even pay attention to the free games. PS+ is purely for MP and game discounts for me. Also, even if I wanted to cancel I can't until 2027 when my current sub expires.

Banned
the worst one yet was still Control... they promoted the PS+ month with "Control: Ultimate Edition"
but you only got the Ultimate Edition (which can be upgraded for free to PS5) if you claimed the game on a PS5.

if you claimed it on a PS4 you would NOT GET the Ultimate Edition, you would in fact get the normal edition + the DLC content. and yes these are 2 separate things, as in not even compatible with each other's save file... they even have separate Trophy lists! (yes even on PS4 they are both clearly separated)

so that was straight up false advertisement on top of being the most scummy shit ever.

Godfall is one of those magnificent examples of a game that put it all into looks, but gameplay is shallower than the kids pool.

I mean the combat was made by the combat designer of God of War, which they even used as PR for the game which is hilarious to me, so I don't exactly know what people were expecting lol

Last edited:
I honestly feel like a console warrior these days with how much shit I talk on Sony. Thing is, I've played Playstation consoles more than any other and I am a big fan of the brand. PS1-4 were all my main, if not only, consoles of the previous generations. They're just constantly annoying me these last few years, however.

This is just another example. When was the last time Sony actually made news for something that made their audience smile and cheer? Yes, their games are great, and that is the most important thing, but it is not everything.

PlayStation has always been my main console since ps1, and I agree with you. Arrogant Sony is back once again and meanwhile Xbox rolling up from behind like a freight train. It's taken a few years for Microsoft's lofty ambitions to come to fruition but it's here man. Their services are making Sony look basic af

Agent X

When was the last time Sony actually made news for something that made their audience smile and cheer?
It's been quite some time, that's for sure.

I don't know what it takes to motivate Sony these days. Their competitors are frequently improving their services. Meanwhile, Sony has promised many improvements for the last 2-3 years(especially for PS Now), but has delivered on very few of them. They move at a lethargic pace.

When it comes to PS Plus, Sony has actually regressed. Not only do they offer less monthly games than they did at this time 3 years ago, but (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) they sometimes deliberately avoid giving both PS4 and PS5 versions of a cross-buy game, choosing to only offer one version. They didn't do that previously, and their competition doesn't do that now. You'd hope that since Microsoft emphasizes this, that Sony would be inspired to correct this flaw and go back to their old (proper cross-buy) policy, but unfortunately there's nothing to smile or cheer about here.

RPS37

I’m finding myself more and more often not even caring to download the Games With Gold games or the PS Plus game.
Fuck em.

I see the “Sony doesn’t owe you anything” thrown around in these arguments and i think its either arrogance or stockholm syndrome which causes you to think like that

why would you not reward your userbase who have stuck with you for 5 generations and contributed to your success?
why do you charge for upgrades on your own first party games?

and probably the crux of it
Why do you charge for things which your competition do for free?

The blocking of updates to next gen versions i thought was a one off with final fantasy but its pretty clear they are just trying to extract as much money out of their users as they can

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it's because Sony fans are far more critical of their favorite company than the xbox and nintendo fans. I dont know why that is. Maybe xbox fans are just more loyal and more forgiving? But I like this about Sony fans. They dont take no shit from anyone. If someone lies to them about cross gen games, they are gonna call him out. If someone lies to them about PC ports being a one off thing and then a few months later, they start porting everything to PC, you know they are gonna get called out. It's refreshing tbh.

I also think Sony has had an atrocious year from a PR perspective. They have zero exclusives for the holiday season. They skipped E3 which is pretty much unforgivable in this day and age. Their state of plays have been utterly abysmal with Deathloop appearing in 19 consecutive state of plays at one point. They tried closing PS3 and vita stores. They have begun to charge people for next gen resolution and framerate upgrades that are given away free by everyone from money hungry evil corps like EA and Activision to indie devs with 4 man teams. Even Microsoft offered a free next gen upgrade for Doom to Playstation gamers this year. Jimbo learned nothing from last year's fiasco over Horizon and Miles and continued to keep GOW and GT7's cross gen status a secret for over a year. GOW doesnt even look like it had any effort put into visuals. The owner of this site thought it looked like an expansion. Can you blame the site's users and the hardcore sony fans for expecting more?

They typically dominate the news by producing GOTY caliber titles every year. this year, not so much. So every fuck up is amplified.

Lupin25

I assume that's all Sony bothered to license.

If you look at how Sony has handled PS Plus games over the last 13 months, it's somewhat inconsistent. For games that have both PS4 and PS5 versions, sometimes you get only the PS4 version, sometimes only the PS5 version, and sometimes both.

This is a far cry from how it used to be a few years ago, when they were still offering PS3 and PS Vita games in addition to PS4 games. During that period, if a game was cross-buy between two or three of those systems, you always got all of the versions.

I think it depends on the offer being either exclusive to PS4 or PS5.

We typically get three games every month (with occasional incentives) for PS Plus, but it seems the one and only PS5 game up for selection every month is typically the only one that’s upgradable from PS4.

So even though Mortal Shell has an actual PS5 version, we wouldn’t receive it because they’re already offering God fucking Fall as the only PS5 title.

This is just what I believe though.

Lupin25

I see the “Sony doesn’t owe you anything” thrown around in these arguments and i think its either arrogance or stockholm syndrome which causes you to think like that

why would you not reward your userbase who have stuck with you for 5 generations and contributed to your success?
why do you charge for upgrades on your own first party games?

and probably the crux of it
Why do you charge for things which your competition do for free?

The blocking of updates to next gen versions i thought was a one off with final fantasy but its pretty clear they are just trying to extract as much money out of their users as they can

Expecting Sony to change because of Microsoft after all their success last-gen should definitely be an afterthought.

They’re not going to simply follow the competition now.

Soosa

Banned
Oh come on, stop complaining like entitled Karens :messenger_tears_of_joy: Take a breath and think for a second.

1) PS+ costs about 3€/$ month, because we can ALWAYS get it for 35-40€$ at least once a year around state of play/BF, usually it is on sale at least twice. You cant blame Sony if you use the most expensive method of monthly payments, and even with the full price of 59.90€/12 months it is only 5€ month.

2) lets use average of 3 games/month (it is actually more, but lets just round it down) -> we pay about 1-1.5€ for 1 game.

3) There have been good games every year, basically if gamer gets even 1 game they want to play it is already somewhat ok deal. And we should also count ALL games that we already own and they come to ps+, because it is not Sonys "fault" that we already had them, it just means that we got games we like, but unfortunately we already had.

4) Some of us can always sell our copy of game which comes to ps+ too, to gain few € at least. This doesnt apply to digitan only people, but it is their choise and still viable option as nobody forces us to get digital games.

So people REALLY think that they should get multiple full AAA games for 3-5€$/month? And when it doesnt happen, they rage?

It seems like people have this perverted logic, like they compare the most expensive monthly payment (is it 9,9€$/month?) as whole to invividual games and get angry because "bbbbut I am paying 120€$ year for this ONE GAME??"

PS+ is EPIC service for what it cost, I mean, whom doesnt waste the same amount of money yearly to something stupid like fast food/taxi/restaurants/candy/booze/renting movies/uber/whatever which isnt essential for living? Even I spend 10.99€ monthly for spotify, which is kind of even more waste of money if we think about it. I could just listen to radio.

I have had ps+ since 2013, taken all the games and while there can be only few games I have truly liked on some years, it is still worth it. But usually there are like 5-10 games yearly that I at least try out, and it is then basically like I got those games for almost free, didnt like them but at least I now know not to buy them so I evaded the bullet of buying them later.

It's not like PS+ costs something absurd 200€$ year, so complains arent really fair because for so cheap service is great.

ElCasual

Maybe MAYBE is not Playstation, is the developer himself. I have The Sinking City in PS4 and yesterday I saw The Sinking City for PS 5.
I search for some kind of upgrade (free or the infamous 10 bucks) and nothing. Frogware games said FUCK YOU dont give a shit that you have the game for PS 4. Want the PS5 version? PAID FOR IT.

Kagey K

Banned
Maybe MAYBE is not Playstation, is the developer himself. I have The Sinking City in PS4 and yesterday I saw The Sinking City for PS 5.
I search for some kind of upgrade (free or the infamous 10 bucks) and nothing. Frogware games said FUCK YOU dont give a shit that you have the game for PS 4. Want the PS5 version? PAID FOR IT.
Did Sony negotiate a deal with them to make it free for PS+ members?

Everyone wants to abolish Sony from any responsibility here, but we're these the only games they could offer for PS+ members and then therefore held them at gunpoint?

Or did Sony say, "Yeah that's fine for us?"

I see a ton of people saying Sony didn't publish those games, they also didn't have to make them PS+ offerings. In fact it looks like you could have got Godfall the demo as q bonus game, had Sony refused.

Last edited:

ElCasual

Did Sony negotiate a deal with them to make it free for PS+ members?

Everyone wants to abolish Sony from any responsibility here, but we're these the only games they could offer for PS+ members and then therefore held them at gunpoint?

Or did Sony say, "Yeah that's fine for us?"
My bet is " Yeah, thats fine for us and really we dont care"

RafterXL

And it sucks because the enhanced version is a great game. Once you get used to the fact that it's not Souls and get acquainted with the Shell mechanic it really takes off. And the DLC is brilliant. I really hope they make a larger scale sequel.

Top Bottom