• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80% in America believe in God

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukilladog

"twisting a bit the original greek". How so? Assertions like this keep getting made. Are you fluent in Greek? Is your source unbiased. Or am I just supposed to assume you've done your homework without bias and found sources without bias?

the Bible has always been a hot button topic with those wanting to promote and those wanting to destroy others' faith in it. I've seen people diligently making claims on verses from both sides and make convincing arguments that turn out to be wrong, so forgive me if I don't just assume the best of your arguments (not meant to say anything about intentions).

“The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say,‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.” from Luke 17:20

There you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_personal_names
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genitive_case

And that verse from Luke is ok, you are not supposed to observe and point at it as a physical thing, but you should be able to tell stuff like this:

"For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." Habakkuk 2:14

"And He shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." Isaiah 2:4

Until that and many other prophecies are fulfilled you have no right to believe in Messiahs. There is not much to it.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Is there a better way for God to show Himself and his love for you than to do something so costly?
Yeah probably a million ways that don’t involve extreme suffering and death!

That’s the thing that’s so perplexing: the assumption that this barbaric act of cruelty had to be done. It didn’t! And the reason it doesn’t make sense is because it’s a fairy tale.

93xfan

Banned
There you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_personal_names
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genitive_case

And that verse from Luke is ok, you are not supposed to observe and point at it as a physical thing, but you should be able to tell stuff like this:

"For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." Habakkuk 2:14

"And He shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." Isaiah 2:4

Until that and many other prophecies are fulfilled you have no right to believe in Messiahs. There is not much to it.
Sounds like these are speaking post Jesus returning, we here Jesus brings an era of peace.

showernota

Matthew´s and Luke´s genealogies are different, that should tell you something. But Ignoring that "little" problem, Jesus is not Joseph´s descendant, and in both genealogies you can find people that were cursed and disqualified for kingship like Jehoiakim and Jeconiah (and their descendants). Apolegetics recognize this and will tell you that Luke´s is actually the lineage of Mary (twisting a bit the original greek), but doesn´t mather since you wont find in the new testament any verse saying that Mary is the daughter of Heli, nor verses in the new or old testament which refer to a man as the son of his father in law, plus kingship lineal privilege never goes through female progenitors in the bible.

As for Jesus giving a time period for his return and failing his own prophecies:

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” Matthew 16:28
"Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." Matthew 24:34

The start of my statement is just natural reaction to people making bold claims about others making bold claims.

I'm pretty sure we talked about this after the last time you were parroting Tovia.

God explicitly made a provision for women with an inheritance who married into the same tribe. It's from Mary (who was not a descendant of any cursed ancestor, being from the line of Nathan, not Solomon) that Jesus is fully qualified for kingship of David.

Numbers 36: 5 Then Moses commanded the children of Israel according to the word of the Lord, saying: “What the tribe of the sons of Joseph speaks is right. 6 This is what the Lord commands concerning the daughters of Zelophehad, saying, ‘Let them marry whom they think best, but they may marry only within the family of their father’s tribe.’ 7 So the inheritance of the children of Israel shall not change hands from tribe to tribe, for every one of the children of Israel shall keep the inheritance of the tribe of his fathers. 8 And every daughter who possesses an inheritance in any tribe of the children of Israel shall be the wife of one of the family of her father’s tribe, so that the children of Israel each may possess the inheritance of his fathers. 9 Thus no inheritance shall change hands from one tribe to another, but every tribe of the children of Israel shall keep its own inheritance.”

10 Just as the Lord commanded Moses, so did the daughters of Zelophehad; 11 for Mahlah, Tirzah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Noah, the daughters of Zelophehad, were married to the sons of their father’s brothers. 12 They were married into the families of the children of Manasseh the son of Joseph, and their inheritance remained in the tribe of their father’s family.

93xfan

Banned
How about literally anything that couldn't be better explained by natural science? That would help.
We’re talking about God showing His love and care. I’m not sure how science fits into this context.

But if you’re trying to tell me that God value and give special exception to the educated, making them more likely to be saved, then I have to ask, are you taking credit for your mind, it’s health, and the events that led to you being educated?

Blade2.0

We’re talking about God showing His love and care. I’m not sure how science fits into this context.

But if you’re trying to tell me that God value and give special exception to the educated, making them more likely to be saved, then I have to ask, are you taking credit for your mind, it’s health, and the events that led to you being educated?
God could have, say, Written a message in stone that was so old it predated humans. The dude is supposed to be all powerful. if it is, it could figure out a better way to tell people of its existence. the fact it doesn't basically proves either

A) it doesn't exsist or B) It doesn't care about us in the slightest. Either avenues are the same at that point.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm starting with God showing he exists at all, we can get to how we feel about each other after that.

I mean God as portrayed in the Bible is not someone I whose love I would want, he's a monster. Most of the "miracles" in the Old Testament are genocides and mass murders. Like over and over, many of them over petty stuff like talking back. I don't need abusive love. But I also don't have to worry about it because he isn't real.

RAÏSanÏa

Agape is the designated name for that force in the universe which pulls the moral compass to guide intentional alignment with God's plan in Protestant hyperphysics. Choice.
Maybe you're referring to the related activity of Providence.

Many scientific people understand the dramatic trappings of Christian religion with its central theme of the life, death, rebirth cycle as having a relationship to the natural world as understood by ancient culture. Day/night and seasonal cycles. Sociological, philosophical, and other practices kept in the best resilient mnemonic available(religion) to form safe communities during that period of human development.
In a panpsychic model there's the possibility of a spiritual knowledge base for individuals to intentionally create an egregore that could give rise to a consciousness which could temporarily inhabit a human body and afterwards have a great deal of control over the human mind for a very, very long time if its design is well aligned with nature and has a directive to love and protect everyone in this life and beyond the grave.

My thought is the Christian egregore is something the Ptolemaic family and Alexandria designed from old patterns collected over a few centuries. Now with recent advancements in understanding from the self to the cosmological available to all humanity through the internet the ancient egregore doesn't align properly with the human understanding of nature or condition and needs to be replaced/updated.

God could have, say, Written a message in stone that was so old it predated humans. The dude is supposed to be all powerful. if it is, it could figure out a better way to tell people of its existence. the fact it doesn't basically proves either

A) it doesn't exsist or B) It doesn't care about us in the slightest. Either avenues are the same at that point.
From what I've seen, this argument is typically rebutted by the notion that the Christian God wants belief in him to be a matter of faith. Meaning, if there was irrefutable proof of his existence like a message predating humanity or him personally revealing himself to everyone worldwide, then believing in him wouldn't be a leap of faith.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

From what I've seen, this argument is typically rebutted by the notion that the Christian God wants belief in him to be a matter of faith. Meaning, if there was irrefutable proof of his existence like a message predating humanity or him personally revealing himself to everyone worldwide, then believing in him wouldn't be a leap of faith.
Super weird take considering he spends like half of the Old Testament murdering the entire families of anyone who dares to doubt him. And sometimes fucking with the people who do believe in him just as a shit-test, like a girlfriend with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Last edited:
Super weird take considering he spends like half of the Old Testament murdering the entire families of anyone who dares to doubt him. And sometimes fucking with the people who do believe in him just as a shit-test.
Another take I often see: The New Testament throws the Old Testament rules out the window. The Old and New Testament Gods act like two different characters. or--to borrow your angle--like an abusive father who quit drinking.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Me to GAF as a whole:

nachoscience.gif

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Another take I often see: The New Testament throws the Old Testament rules out the window. The Old and New Testament Gods act like two different characters. or--to borrow your angle--like an abusive father who quit drinking.
Or the New Testament is a policitally correct soft reboot of a fan favorite that had aged poorly.

93xfan

Banned
A "decent" bit of it is not all of it.

These prophecies are not impressive in the least. Everyone knew about them, and you have an entire group of people actively trying to work to fulfill it. How prophetic is it if I randomly say that someone's going to build a McDonald's 20 miles off the east coast of Florida, and whoever does this will win $5 billion, and a bunch of people work together to build one and claim the prize money?

That's not prophecy. That's just people doing work towards a goal that they already all collectively agreed was important.
The Jewish people scattered from Israel and amongst other nations, having people travel through the land calling it cursed and saying nothing would grow there, to having the nation born in a day (it was decided within a 24 hour period), to having the land flourish again, to having the people decide to come back (especially with all the fierce opposition), to predicting a great controversy with Jerusalem. Then after all that, having their enemies surround them. One might've thought they'd have been wiped out during the 6 day war, but God's word holds true.

Things could have gone quite differently, especially with all the opposition. I don't think your example is nearly as complex, plus you don't have any antagonists in it.

93xfan

Banned
I'm pretty sure we talked about this after the last time you were parroting Tovia.

God explicitly made a provision for women with an inheritance who married into the same tribe. It's from Mary (who was not a descendant of any cursed ancestor, being from the line of Nathan, not Solomon) that Jesus is fully qualified for kingship of David.
A great lesson that there are always gaps in our knowledge. Thank you for sharing this.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Absolutely.
Did it make sense? What part? All of it?

Do you acknowledge the correction on what the actual default position of atheists is? Do you acknowledge where the burden of proof, logically, should reside? Did my presentation change your mind about that and clarify things for you?

When i said "you guys" however, i meant it literally:
As these, and others much less civil, were the kind of answers i was getting. Immensely appreciated the level headed and reasonable response though.
You are welcome, but I would advise you to not get hung up on every little perceived slight that is directed at you.

What is the point of this? Is your point of this a rebuttal of my characterization of Peterson's argument? It's not. If anything, it reaffirms what I said.

In the first video, Peterson says that sometimes the objective world and the narrative (metaphorical) world touch, and that the narrative world is the sense of morality, and that we TREAT IT LIKE it is real (which means it's not literally real, only metaphorically "real"). He goes on to say that the ultimate example of the objective world and the narrative world touching is "SUPPOSED TO BE" Christ, which seems "ODDLY PLAUSIBLE" to him. He doesn't know what would happen if anyone really "fully believed" in it, which means he himself does not fully believe in it, because if he did, he would know.

Would any true believer in the divinity and the literal resurrection of Christ phrase it in that way? Of course not. To them, they don't "treat it LIKE it's real". It IS real. The foundational model of morality is not "supposed to be Christ". It IS Christ. They are not unsure if they "fully believe" it. They are confident that they do. He's using the Jungian concept of synchronicity to try to reconcile the complete lack of evidence of the supernatural aspects of Christianity with its real impact on the culture, and all it does is trick people into thinking he's a Christian when all he's doing is redefining the definition of "God", "spirits", "ghosts", and everything else to fit his metaphorical description of his spirituality, when nearly everyone else on the planet is operating on the already established literal definitions of those things.

In the second video, Peterson's journey to "God" is Peterson's journey to his own redefined version of "God", not the same God that most other people have in mind. But Peterson speaks in such ambiguous and imprecise language that the people who want to believe just absorb a superficial understanding of what he's saying and think it reaffirms their own beliefs in a classic example of confirmation bias. So when he says in 6:45, "I'm not an atheist", they think that he means he believes in the God they believe in, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Peterson believes in the narrative that forms around the concept of God and how that impacts the culture around us. That's not Grace. That's not Faith. That's not Divinity. That's not in accordance to Logos. The actual ones. Not the metaphorical ones.

At 8:17 he says that what it means to believe is to "speak the truth and act it out". He talks again how he acts as if it's real. That the central idea in Christianity is that if you truly believed, that it would be a transfiguring event. This is tangential to the actual central idea in Christianity that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Again, he's talking only about the moral virtues of the philosophy, and not at all talking about it as if it's actually a literally real thing.

At the end of the video, Peterson recites the Lord's Prayer. Again, given the context of that particular video clip, he's only utilizing the metaphorical framework of Christianity to make a moral case to treat each other more nicely.

You want Peterson videos? Here's some.

Here's Peterson admitting that these myths (i.e. fictional parables) are needed for dumb people who can't figure out how to be a good person on their own. Murray expounds on that by relating it to the tragedy of the clergy where they know what they're saying isn't true, but the metaphor is useful to maintain societal cohesion.

Furthermore, here is Peterson trying to answer the question, "If humanity ceases to exist, does God cease to exist?" If you are viewing God as a metaphor, then you would have to answer like Peterson does, because metaphors only exist as a product of human thought. Peterson waxes poetic about how "God" means different things to different people, which should be a big hint that tells you that his version of "God" is probably different than yours. However, if you actually believe in a literal God, then the answer is overwhelmingly simple - of course God exists if there are no humans. God is eternal and God is divine. God existed before He created Man, so why would He cease to exist if He were to uncreate Man?

In this clip, we are shown yet another example of Peterson using unorthodox definitions to fit his worldview, when he makes the definition of "truth" more ambiguous so that he can fit the fictional metaphor of religion into its framework. "I refuse to use true in the same way that scientists use it". In other words, he's not talking in literal terms or empirical terms.

Here is another clip where Peterson is challenged about the confusion he causes when he changes his personal definitions of words in order to suit his argument.

Again, Peterson is challenged on the ambiguity he sows by his flexible definitions of "God", and when directly asked if the question is "Was Jesus literally resurrected?", and the answer is, "almost certainly not", Peterson has to acknowledge that it's a fine answer. He also freely admits that he never said that what he talks about God is the same as what others (i.e. most other establishment religious types) talk about. When you see Peterson in discussions with Christian apologists, and it looks like they're agreeing about God, they are not actually talking about the same God. (more on this later)

Here's another one where Peterson freely says that there are more "truths" than just literal truths. When he is asked if Jesus rose from the dead and responds, "I cannot answer that", this is a gigantic red flag. In the opening seconds, he affirms he is a Christian, but what kind of Christian can't also affirm that Jesus literally rose from the dead? That's what being a Christian is! He then goes on to say, "it depends on what you mean by 'Jesus'". Really???

When asked if these stories are "projections of the human consciousness", Peterson says that they are.

One might then say, "Oh, but this was years ago and he's since clarified and affirmed his belief in God!". No. He's still as ambiguous as ever, using definitions that suit him and not the mainstream vernacular.

Going back to - When you see Peterson in discussions with Christian apologists, and it looks like they're agreeing about God, they are not actually talking about the same God - here he is with a group of true believers. When asked his thoughts on the actual resurrection, Peterson spends 5 minutes to essentially say, "I don't know", with the implication "but I believe it anyway (metaphorically)", or as he likes to say, he acts like he believes it. And the others think that's fine and dandy even though their interpretation is a literal one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Undeniable Union synchronicity being experienced multiple times during your own life is what changed Peterson, and what changed me. As i said in my first post it would be extremely hypocritical for me to deny it, and that's the reason i quoted Jung as well since no matter how crazy this sounds, to me it's not a matter of believing but closer to be a matter of knowing.
Something similar literally happened to me yesterday for fuck sake, me and my girlfriend (agnostic at best) just returned from three days in Milan, and as soon as i was over with this discussion here and went to bed she thanked me for waking her up because she was dreaming of a humanoid black billy goat covered in gold and jewels floating closer and closer to her in the middle of the streets of Milan, which made her feel awful for the entire night.
She had no fucking idea whatsoever i was hesitantly talking about my beliefs for the first time ever on the Internet here, and not being a religious person in the slightest she's not prone at all to these kinds of dreams, so this whole thing couldn't possibly have been more insanely timed than it was. And this is just a little, insignificant thing compared to life changing experiences i've had.
Synchronicity is just an exercise in confirmation bias derived from coincidences. How do you even begin to interpret the imagery in that dream vis a vis a theological discussion? The only things there are a vague association with Baphomet and proximity to the Vatican, but then what? You can't derive meaning or direction from that. You have no way of establishing a connection between any of this.

The only reason i'm not fully religious at this point is probably that i'm too much of a coward to accept the absolutely terrifying concept of it, and that i'm too attached to my frivolous and vain way of living.
I still try to behave as if God exists however, as i feel an extremely better person by doing so.
Facts, not feelings bro.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
If I had a religious experience when not on acid I'd have my head checked. There's a lot of research that points to these experiences not being very different from a psychosis or even schizophrenia.

FunkMiller

If I had a religious experience when not on acid I'd have my head checked. There's a lot of research that points to these experiences not being very different from a psychosis or even schizophrenia.

The human psyche has an almost limitless ability to convince itself of things that are not true… if it brings comfort, security, strength or purpose.

When you think about, gods and religion simply couldn’t exist without that capacity.

I never agree with religious folk, but I totally understand how they get themselves to the point of absolute belief that some of them do. Self delusion is enormously powerful, and can’t be broken with posts on a video games forum unfortunately.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

If that's true, then he shouldn't have shown great works to anyone. But Moses is like a pile of "Yo, bruh here I am" evidence stacked to the hilt. The argument makes no sense when he literally shows himself to others and even chats with them.

lukilladog

That´s silly, I´m not even quoting Tovia Singer, which would not even be half bad since he is an actual authority in the study bible, but you just don´t like him.

And those verses talk about the inheritance of property, hence the word "possesion". Lineal privilege of the right to kingship and priesthood is only passed through male lines in the Bible, and that´s not even controversial. That is clear as water but I doubt you will admit it.

FunkMiller

Yep. Nobody really gives a fuck about religion in Australia, other than the farmers in the bush and outback. Something about all that open space makes people a little crazy.

Australia’s in way too much of a good mood to be bothering with all that praying shit.

Last edited:

lukilladog

The human psyche has an almost limitless ability to convince itself of things that are not true… if it brings comfort, security, strength or purpose.

When you think about, gods and religion simply couldn’t exist without that capacity.

I never agree with religious folk, but I totally understand how they get themselves to the point of absolute belief that some of them do. Self delusion is enormously powerful, and can’t be broken with posts on a video games forum unfortunately.

Yeah, for example I have seen dozens of "UFO´s", even one trying to land over my head when I was a kid... but nowadays I admit that I was too much into science fiction at that time and that was nothing but a delusion 99.999%. It´s the same thing with people claiming the so called divine revelations, nowadays that people is not consuming as much religious material as they used to, revelations have come almost to a halt. The human brain didn´t evolve as an excellent thinking device... it´s quite surprising how it tries to spend the least amount of energy every time it has to think.

lukilladog

Sounds like these are speaking post Jesus returning, we here Jesus brings an era of peace.

But Jesus talked about his return, he was wrong, scripture doesn´t talk about that either. You are embracing church dogma now, not scripture.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't wanna disrespect anybody. regardless of whether you're a Christian, or you don't believe in God at all, or you just believe in God. If you're letting fear get the best of you, you're grinding the wrong path. If you wanna live truth, and be okay, you need to find the way of love. Regardless of your religion, or non-religion. It's all in there for you to choose.

It's contained in everything you can believe in. I hope that's clear.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
But Jesus talked about his return, he was wrong, scripture doesn´t talk about that either. You are embracing church dogma now, not scripture.
There’s Jesus dying and then resurrecting and reappearing to the apostles and other believers multiple times. Then there’s a time coming when he will return to bring about the end of the age.

lukilladog

There’s Jesus dying and then resurrecting and reappearing to the apostles and other believers multiple times. Then there’s a time coming when he will return to bring about the end of the age.

His prophecies were about his return bringing the kingdom of god, something that anyone could corroborate. There is no first hand account testimony of Jesus reappearing in the bible, much less from independent non invested sources.

Chaplain

It does and the crazy thing is science now confirms [it's possibility]. What do I mean?

edited

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But it does provide scientific evidence that what was described 2000 years ago is scientifically possible.
No it absolutely does not provide scientific evidence that a guy specifically named "Jesus" who is specifically the son of God the creator of time and space and the savior of mankind might possibly bring about the end of the universe.

Wulfer

Who to believe Lee Strobel or others? Well Lee Strobel was an Atheist who worked for The Chicago Tribune. He thought his life was prefect until his wife experienced a change in her life. (I'm not pulling from the film, I'm using his real life experiences). This event changed his life forever. He set out to disprove Jesus Christ existed and disprove the resurrection. He spent over a year and nine months of his life trying to prove Jesus and the resurrection were false. He spoke with Atheist and Christian researchers all over the globe for his evidence. "Strobel interviewed 13 well-respected authorities for historical evidence on the existence of Jesus".

What did Lee Strobel discover in his attempt to debunk Christianity?
"I became personally convinced that based on the historical evidence of the Resurrection, that this is actually true," Strobel said. -DailyHerald.com

lqut.gif
I came to the conclusion ultimately that based on the avalanche of evidence that points so powerfully toward the truth of Christianity, it would have taken more faith for me to maintain my atheism than to become a Christian.
rqut.gif
-Lee Strobel, Behind the Scenes of The Case for Christ

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/case-for-christ/

https://www.allencheng.com/the-case-for-christ-book-summary-lee-strobel/

Last edited:
Who to believe Lee Strobel or others? Well Lee Strobel was an Atheist who worked for The Chicago Tribune. He thought his life was prefect until his wife experienced a change in her life. (I'm not pulling from the film, I'm using his real life experiences). This event changed his life forever. He set out to disprove Jesus Christ existed and disprove the resurrection. He spent over a year and nine months of his life trying to prove Jesus and the resurrection were false. He spoke with Atheist and Christian researchers all over the globe for his evidence. "Strobel interviewed 13 well-respected authorities for historical evidence on the existence of Jesus".

What did Lee Strobel discover in his attempt to debunk Christianity?
"I became personally convinced that based on the historical evidence of the Resurrection, that this is actually true," Strobel said. -DailyHerald.com

We already had a hardcore atheist who found Jesus through his girlfriend's goat dream. Lee Strobel got nothing on him, but you should definitely definitely believe him. I mean why wouldn't you? You'd believe any old shit and it looks like he has made quite a good career of hawking Jesus book to Jesus freaks.

Last edited:

Wulfer

We already had a hardcore atheist who found Jesus through his girlfriend's goat dream. Lee Strobel got nothing on him, but you should definitely definitely believe him. I mean why wouldn't you? You'd believe any old shit and it looks like he has made quite a good career of hawking Jesus book to Jesus freaks.
Did he really leave journalism to go and work for the church?
Yes. After becoming an award-winning investigative journalist who was promoted to legal editor at the Chicago Tribune, Lee left journalism in 1987, taking a 60 percent pay cut to work as a teaching pastor at Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois.

I don't think he made a "good career hawking books" as you put it when he took a 60% cut in pay and left journalism (a secure job) for the unknown.

You would know this if you had clicked the links provided.

Last edited:
Did he really leave journalism to go and work for the church?
Yes. After becoming an award-winning investigative journalist who was promoted to legal editor at the Chicago Tribune, Lee left journalism in 1987, taking a 60 percent pay cut to work as a teaching pastor at Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois.

I don't think he made a good career hawking books as you put it when he took a 60% cut in pay and left journalism (a secure job).

You would know this if you had clicked the links provided.

He took a pay cut in 1987 and has since published over 20 books with an estimated net worth of $8 million, far beyond a "secure job".

You would know that if you took 5 minutes to research this person before vomiting this propaganda.

Wulfer

He took a pay cut in 1987 and has since published over 20 books with an estimated net worth of $8 million, far beyond a "secure job".

You would know that if you took 5 minutes to research this person before vomiting this propaganda.
So, since he became a Christian he was guaranteed that 8 million? I don't think so.... And you sound angry at the thought you could be wrong maybe some research is needed? Anyway didn't come to argue hope you find your peace.

So, since he became a Christian he was guaranteed that 8 million? I don't think so.... And you sound angry at the thought you could be wrong maybe some research is needed? Anyway didn't come to argue hope you find your peace.

Guaranteed? No, but that wasn't the criterion.

And I'm not angry, just pointing out the vapid belief, that just because the religious operate with a hive mind, atheists must too. All non-believers let me tell you about a random born-again Christian, hope this changes your minds!

0neAnd0nly

If that's true, then he shouldn't have shown great works to anyone. But Moses is like a pile of "Yo, bruh here I am" evidence stacked to the hilt. The argument makes no sense when he literally shows himself to others and even chats with them.

Respectfully,

You continue to make points from the Old Testament. If we are referring to Christianity as a whole, regardless of how you view it, what occurred in the Old Testament and what occurs as a result of the New Testament are very different things.

And because I have seen your comments below this one, I will note I am a college educated, decorated graduate who has also read a good portion of the Bible (as in, cover to cover) in my studies of Christianity. Not like how so many atheists have "read the bible". I Actually made it a good way through in self-studies of the word (still working on it) combined with studying during lessons.

God showed himself numerous times in the Old Testament in different ways. This was not uncommon. It doesn't do anything to counter the post you were responding to however, as God changed the way he interacted with humans upon the New Testament. Now when this gets brought up, people just make claims of "retconned" or "convenience", but it is literally a part of the belief of Christianity. If you can't respect that truth of something you may not agree with or believe yourself, it opens up a convenient way for you to simply sidestep the argument by just claiming that you don't believe it because it seems... well... convenient, ironically.

Nobody is forcing you to believe, but the ad hominem attacks on believers in this thread is a bit unfortunate. That goes for a lot of the posters. Why can't we just politely disagree? I have enjoyed dialogue on many things on GAF because we can have it, even if I am in the minority in my views, but respect for each other seems to be a good base to start with so we have actual constructive debate and keep civility for each other.

<3 you all though, for real. Believers or not, I still love this place and all of you awesome posters - even you Blade, or FunkMiller, or anyone else! God bless, even if you don't like hearing it - I genuinely mean it. So many of you guys/ girls are great, and I really appreciate that! Hope we can keep it civil!

Blade2.0

The old testament still happened if you believe, right? The argument is still valid. Also, wasn't Jesus a walking talking bit of evidence?! Just because you'd like to hand wave the argument away doesn't mean you can. If he wanted it to be faith based no one should have been given proof.

0neAnd0nly

The old testament still happened if you believe, right? The argument is still valid. Also, wasn't Jesus a walking talking bit of evidence?! Just because you'd like to hand wave the argument away doesn't mean you can. If he wanted it to be faith based no one should have been given proof.
The Old Testament absolutely still happened, but the New Testament takes precedent in a Christian's life. That's the whole Christian part of being a Christian. Old Testament is to learn, form value for God and understanding of his origin. New Testament is largely what we follow and tells us the future / guidance in such.

This is all, to your argument, of God "showing himself", and your argument of why he did it then but not now. It is like arguing why men in the 70s wore bellbottoms, but don't now. Things change. God changed the way he interacted with humans, regardless of how he did it in the past, in the NT moving forward.

It wasn't always about the human race having to have faith, as it became in the NT. In the OT it was much stricter, and God punished much more severely. Things change. That's really it. Humans proved in the OT they could not follow God's orders, God's law perfectly. Constantly disappointing him in what he asked. In the NT, God sacrificed his son to give us all forgiveness, rather than banishing us to great prosecution in real-time as he did in the OT. Again, if you are a non-believer, sure you would have issues with this - but this is the scripture and it's writing. Far before you existed or I. A large part of the Bible and of Christianity is faith. Period.

I have enjoyed this discussion so far man, hope your night is great. Though, like any Chistian, I would love to change your mind - I am perfectly fine if I don't and respect you regardless!

93xfan

Banned
His prophecies were about his return bringing the kingdom of god, something that anyone could corroborate. There is no first hand account testimony of Jesus reappearing in the bible, much less from independent non invested sources.
Jesus says, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.”
Luke 17:20-21

When Jesus returns, it will be something that can be observed. About Jesus's return, he says;

“And there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
Luke 21:25-28

93xfan

Banned
I'd much rather be a "freak" for Jesus than who I was before I came to Christ. Also, plenty of people have come to Jesus through dreams. Many Muslim converts have claimed to have dreams about Jesus.

93xfan

Banned
I'd like to see that research. So do you think that a large portion of America and Europe have had mental conditions on par with psychosis and schizophrenia? And how did they integrate so well with the rest of society without anyone noticing this severe mental condition that usually requires medication?

Blade2.0

Nobody is forcing you to believe, but the ad hominem attacks on believers in this thread is a bit unfortunate. That goes for a lot of the posters. Why can't we just politely disagree? I have enjoyed dialogue on many things on GAF because we can have it, even if I am in the minority in my views, but respect for each other seems to be a good base to start with so we have actual constructive debate and keep civility for each other.
It's very hard to politely disagree with an ideology that will strip me of my rights just because a 2000 year old book tells its worshippers that they shouldn't do something.

0neAnd0nly

It's very hard to politely disagree with an ideology that will strip me of my rights just because a 2000 year old book tells its worshippers that they shouldn't do something.

Christians framed the architecture of the “rights” of the United States of America.

Is it possible the definition of rights has changed with an ever evolving social movement that has expanded beyond… said original rights?

Just asking.

Edit: I think it’s further saddening, that you don’t think we can politely disagree. Like we did pretty much your entire existence in the USA. Does tolerance only flow one way?

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Respectfully,

You continue to make points from the Old Testament. If we are referring to Christianity as a whole, regardless of how you view it, what occurred in the Old Testament and what occurs as a result of the New Testament are very different things.

And because I have seen your comments below this one, I will note I am a college educated, decorated graduate who has also read a good portion of the Bible (as in, cover to cover) in my studies of Christianity. Not like how so many atheists have "read the bible". I Actually made it a good way through in self-studies of the word (still working on it) combined with studying during lessons.

God showed himself numerous times in the Old Testament in different ways. This was not uncommon. It doesn't do anything to counter the post you were responding to however, as God changed the way he interacted with humans upon the New Testament. Now when this gets brought up, people just make claims of "retconned" or "convenience", but it is literally a part of the belief of Christianity. If you can't respect that truth of something you may not agree with or believe yourself, it opens up a convenient way for you to simply sidestep the argument by just claiming that you don't believe it because it seems... well... convenient, ironically.

<3 you all though, for real. Believers or not, I still love this place and all of you awesome posters - even you Blade, or FunkMiller, or anyone else! God bless, even if you don't like hearing it - I genuinely mean it. So many of you guys/ girls are great, and I really appreciate that! Hope we can keep it civil!
So I was a religion minor and grew up in a religious household, so I actually do know a thing or two about this stuff.

The disconnect between the Old Testament and New Testament is a problem in and of itself. If you truly feel that God has changed between these two time periods (notably, they're not that far apart in time, either as parts of the old Testament date to just a couple hundred years prior, and none of it can be conclusively dated to older than maybe the 7th century BC), then it undermines the idea that God is a perfect and infallible being.

Like if God goes from ragequitting and mass murdering and acting like a psycho to like a quiet chill guy who lays in the cut and let's his hippie son do the talking, that might be character growth but it sure is hard to reconcile with being infinite and all knowing and perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom