• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[4chan] Uncharted Collection: Coming to PC - Steam / Epic Games Store

yurinka

PlayStation makes very little of their money from 1st party.... you just do not understand how big PlayStation is and how they make their money.

KpEdiAA.png

Most of their money comes from 3rd party sales, MTX and subscription... how are they going to get these to increase by giving away what attracts people to the platform?

Exclusives are the cheese in the trap..... without the cheese, it's just a trap.
They continue having in their console many old and new exclusives, multis, mtx and subscription, and they continue selling consoles games at record levels, plus generating revenue at record levels.

PC fans buying ports of some of their old games gives them extra profit and new fans. It adds on top, it doesn't remove. Notice that in overall they grown instead of declining even in a transitional period between generations, where they should have lower numbers that when they are in the peak of the generation. The decline in sofware YoY is because last year everyone had the covid lockdowns related bump, so this year they went back to more or less normality, and next year they will continue growing YoY because PS5 will start aproaching its peak.

The Playstation consoles will continue selling a truckload of units even if tomorrow all their exclusives from the ps4 era would stealth release on steam.
Their consoles offer modern features and play all games with good to great graphics for the money on top of PSN being a quite robust online infrastructure.

Taking FIFA, GTA, Fortnite and COD from PS would do more harm than losing exclusives.
Yep. FIFA+GTA+COD+AC+gen specific trendy games like now is Fortnite must make way more money than exclusives every generation on PlayStation.

I mean, let's say the best selling PS4 exclusive (maybe Uncharted 4) and sold maybe around 16M units. All PS4 games combined sold over 1600M units. So the best selling exclusive barely sold around 1% of the total of games sold for the console and the other exclusives have an even smaller percentage.

So to port some exclusives to PC years after launch, when they already completed their sales cycle, won't negatively affect a shit to its sales. Probably it would even be the case if releasing all of them,and day one, on PC.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Fake.

If it was the first 3 ones, which by the way are hard to emulate because of PS3, I would believe it, but the 3 first one and 4/Legacy in the same package.

Sorry folks, but I'm calling huge fake.

They are all running on x86 architecture on the PS4 so the work to get them off the Cell PS3 has already been done.

Amin_Parker

JIM RYAN IS GOD!

jim-ryan-2.jpg

I'm liking this man more and more everyday. Thanks to him Sony first-party franchises will be going to the PC and potentially mobile devices. They're doing the exact same thing Microsoft is doing.
Well I guess Nintendo is the only company in the video game industry that support their own Hardware with their own first-party franchises exclusively.

Fantastic news if it's accurate.
As somebody who has been playing these games since the very start, I've loved each and every one of them in their own way and completed each of them far too many times to count. I hope that people who haven't had the chance to play them yet get as much enjoyment as I have from them.
I suppose the only worries that I have with people being new to them now is that the first game will be having it's 15th anniversary next year so it's probably going to feel like a 15 year old game when you first play it. Of course, the first game but I still love it for what it is.

This is sick! As a long time fan since the original games launch it's great to see. No better games to get pushed to their graphical limit!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PlayStation makes very little of their money from 1st party.... you just do not understand how big PlayStation is and how they make their money.

KpEdiAA.png

Most of their money comes from 3rd party sales, MTX and subscription... how are they going to get these to increase by giving away what attracts people to the platform?

Exclusives are the cheese in the trap..... without the cheese, it's just a trap.
Because the majority of console gamers aren't really considering PC gaming as a choice.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would love these games on pc but at the same time I don't fucking understand the pc tryhards who could not get even PS4 slim for 200usd or less in last 5 years to play these games... Like why be so stubborn. It's so cheap to experience these games.

I also expect the pc ports to not be as problem free and glitch free as original :p

DonF

I like this move. The market for uncharted 4 or trilogy remastered is like 0 on console. Most of the people that really wanted those games already got them. For free, for full price or with a heavy discount.

Thia makes it so it reaches new customers and potential new fans. Maybe more than one person will love the games, will love naughty dog and get a console to play their games earlier.

Bryank75

Banned
Because the majority of console gamers aren't really considering PC gaming as a choice.

There's a certain arrogance about PlayStation thinking that...and it doesn't sit well with me.

They should be skeptical and always adding to reasons to buy their hardware whether it is sold out or not.

SLB1904

Banned
"The naughty dog pc collection"

Lol

Almost as if a 15 year old photoshop that.
BTW wasn't Uncharted 4 confirmed to come to PC already?

ACESHIGH

Banned
There's a certain arrogance about PlayStation thinking that...and it doesn't sit well with me.

They should be skeptical and always adding to reasons to buy their hardware whether it is sold out or not.

In certain regions (Continental Western Europe and Latin America) Sony can pack turds in a Playstation box and it will sell out anyway. Only a subset of tech savy console gamers may consider switching to PC. In theory, they should be always striving to add value to their customers. But when 25+ years of Champions League ads work their magic, there's not much else you need to do.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gonna be choked if this doesn't come out for ps5 enhanced. Knowing somy it it does it will be $60. (Ya I'm looking at you spiderman enhanced)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

All they are doing is selling some old games at this point, w/o any mention or promise of other games coming, particularly their upcoming newer games.

They clearly still see some value in exclusives to their console, and are being cautious at this point. They could at any time just stop selling games on PC if they think it's going to not be successful for them.

Instead they are selling record amounts of consoles.

This collection is probably BS anyways.. UC4 is confirmed.. but again.. a 5 year old game today.. if it doesn't make it out until next year it'll be 6 years old lol.. this is hardly giving people a reason to abandoned Playstation who have interest in PC gaming.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Seems to be going over well with sony fanatic twitter

I've loved PlayStation since I was a 15 year old kid in '95. Own anniversary consoles, jackets , clothes, figures.... absolutely love PlayStation. I own a Series X, a PC and I don't mind at all Uncharted is coming to PC.

This tweet is from a person who is clearly a maniac and probably - on a serious note - needs some kind of help.

I have never in my life personally met someone who spoke anywhere remotely as insanely as this about gaming or consoles, etc.

And the pedo accusation!? Classless trash person talk. It has happened on this forum in the past as well. It's never funny and never appropriate to say to anyone unless it has been proven they're that sick. It's just as mindless as using a racial slur on someone and signals you've completely lost your argument.

sainraja

It's a great series that anyone should try. I still remember when the first one came out....it wasn't on my radar, I had only discovered it via reading on forums the month it was suppose to come out. The main game I had been waiting for around then was Assassins because I loved Prince of Persia and AC was basically going to be the next thing after that for me. Uncharted completely stole my time haha. I've played through the first so many times. I also got the game like 2 weeks before its official release date so I had this and AC to play the same week. And the best thing that still stands out to me about the first is how they kept the twist pretty much a secret with small drops of hints that even the characters dismiss jokingly.....Nathan, Elena, Sully are great characters. Anyway.....great series and anyone interested in action/adventure games should give it a try. It's only gotten better with its sequels.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Now all I need are all of Sony's PS1, PS2 and PS3 Library. Please Jim. I will sit in your lap and let you sing me a lullaby.
They're already on PC.
Many reasons, the industry is becoming so homogeneous and boring due to the lack of exclusives.

Exclusives are PlayStations biggest strength and now they are giving them away, this is an indicator that competition has failed and that Sony no longer feel compelled to provide compelling exclusive content.

For instance, we lost MLB exclusivity, Mm is not making new exclusives, we lost access to Zenimax games in the future and several studios were downsized or shuttered.
The response to these losses has not been to buy a few or even many talented studios to compensate PS customers but to give away the remaining exclusives we have...... despite the fact we are paying MORE now than ever and Sony are more profitable than they have ever been.

Meanwhile we have to look at Xbox buying every damned studio they can get their hands on.

Nintendo NEVER put their games on PC and reinforced the mental connection between Mario, Zelda and their other franchises and their consoles.... they started by bundling Mario bros with every Nes, then the 3rd game sold 17 million on its own. Now it sells 40+ million and moves hardware.....unfortunately PlayStation management never had the patience and never provided the proper marketing to make such an impact.

Now Horizon is just a multiplat.... the prestige is gone.
Limiting access and making these games a privilege of buying into PlayStation hardware gives these games prestige and increases their perceived value. Putting them on PC, does the opposite.
Everything is a matter of taste. I bought a PS4 because I wasn't ready to put together a gaming PC and wanted to play Persona 5. Sony's own games I've never found appealing, and having played them been generally unimpressed.
PC users are not PlayStation customers... they are not spending in the areas that make PlayStation the big money.

Nintendo understands that exclusives are to attract people into your system and meant to be a unique selling point.

Steam and Epic get their cut out of every sale and it makes far less money to sell on PC than a single sale on the PS platform.

Nixxes was a waste of a purchase and that time and energy could have gone to buying a real game making studio and adding value to PlayStation...instead they decided to diminish it.

I have been mulling over moving completely to Nintendo as my main platform, due to their authenticity when they present something as exclusive...they do not lie to their customers and seem to have at least a modicum of respect.

Edit: also...what investment in future games???? We have less studios now than ever. There is no investment. There are no acquisitions.... if I was getting something out of this I wouldnt complain so much but I get less than nothing, I lose as a PS customer. That is what the PS5 generation has been so far for me as a PS fan.
This proves you don't actually like playstation and are just trying to find a tribe.

Nintendo and PS are totally different.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They're already on PC.

Everything is a matter of taste. I bought a PS4 because I wasn't ready to put together a gaming PC and wanted to play Persona 5. Sony's own games I've never found appealing, and having played them been generally unimpressed.

This proves you don't actually like playstation and are just trying to find a tribe.

Nintendo and PS are totally different.

No, I think you just don't understand that I have a broad taste, I have been a Nintendo fan since the Nes. I only got into PlayStation properly during PS2.

Plus I spent as much time on my Gamecube as my PS2. Then I went to 360.... I experienced what Xbox had at the time and then moved back to PS3 around 2009.

I was also a PC gamer during the late 90's and early 2000's.

I have a very broad gaming taste and I know what I like. I just truly believe in exclusive games and the personality of a platform...It makes gaming interesting for me. The industry is becoming increasingly bland due to the games going everywhere. It's just homogeneous at this stage and it has destroyed competition.....

Dream-Knife

Banned
No, I think you just don't understand that I have a broad taste, I have been a Nintendo fan since the Nes. I only got into PlayStation properly during PS2.

Plus I spent as much time on my Gamecube as my PS2. Then I went to 360.... I experienced what Xbox had at the time and then moved back to PS3 around 2009.

I was also a PC gamer during the late 90's and early 2000's.

I have a very broad gaming taste and I know what I like. I just truly believe in exclusive games and the personality of a platform...It makes gaming interesting for me. The industry is becoming increasingly bland due to the games going everywhere. It's just homogeneous at this stage and it has destroyed competition.....
I gotcha.

Have you noticed since the 6th generation the real uniqueness of consoles is gone? It's sad, but those days are over man. They're the same console, just locked down to prevent you from playing the others games. The switch is unique, but I think few people actually like nintendos hardware anymore besides fanboys.

It's the games that matter man. It isn't 1990-2005 anymore. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Ryder

It might be a fake leak. On the reddit thread someone posted a old fan art photo which has the exactly the same font and name.

Vagswarm

This would be great if true. Really enjoyed the 2nd game and the 3rd one was also worth playing. Always wanted to try the 4th one.

Notabueno

Banned
I despise the PS5 and think it's crap unlike the PS1, 2 and 4, but then Sony fanboys are absolutely, 100% right: the strategy from Sony to basically kill it's platform and console, and become a publishers (basically), is completely devaluing their company, brand and platform.

I would understand if it was 2030 and streaming had started to become prominent therefor eliminating the relevancy of hardware platforms, but NOT digital platform (unless they're willing to raise the white flag in front of Steam and its current or upcoming competitors). Seriously there's 2 games on PS5 now that I can't play on PS4 or PC, Ratchet and Returnal (and maybe Astro) and the only upcoming game to look forward to is Horizon, next year, that's it.

There's so many things Sony could have done with the Playstation platform, but they're somehow rushing to destroy their platform and ecosystem to be relegated to just a multi-platform publisher, probably because some parasitic executive or investor scum wanted to juice more money out of softwares short term.

I despise the PS5 and think it's crap unlike the PS1, 2 and 4, but then Sony fanboys are absolutely, 100% right: the strategy from Sony to basically kill it's platform and console, and become a publishers (basically), is completely devaluing their company, brand and platform.

I would understand if it was 2030 and streaming had started to become prominent therefor eliminating the relevancy of hardware platforms, but NOT digital platform (unless they're willing to raise the white flag in front of Steam and its current or upcoming competitors). Seriously there's 2 games on PS5 now that I can't play on PS4 or PC, Ratchet and Returnal (and maybe Astro) and the only upcoming game to look forward to is Horizon, next year, that's it.

There's so many things Sony could have done with the Playstation platform, but they're somehow rushing to destroy their platform and ecosystem to be relegated to just a multi-platform publisher, probably because some parasitic executive or investor scum wanted to juice more money out of softwares short term.
Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

Console wars is serious business for you huh.

Take a breather. Relax. It's just a plastic box made by faceless corporations to extract money out of you.

Theres really no need to "despise" a plastic box lmao

Fahdis

I'm sure if you can make a bot that tells you good job everytime you play.

Don't be condescending. People like what they like. If you don't like achievements thats your problem. How about you make a bot to give you a slap everytime you seem like you're getting over someone with subtle negative remarks?

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] is completely devaluing their company, brand and platform.

It's all about the value proposition, and games are just a part of the equation. Like Gaben said decades ago in an interview when asked about piracy, it's all about creating the value for the consumers, so that they'll want to buy the games from your store instead of downloading them from the web, whether it's by the service itself, the customer support, refund policy etc., and needless to say he was spot-on all those years ago already, while to this day many storefronts seem not to get it (MS Store in particular).

Now back to PS5 - what's the value proposition there, in terms of the platform as a whole? SSD? Welcome to 2010, duh. It's 2021 already, HDD are a relic of the past, flash memory is everywhere, seom smartphones, tablets, laptops, PCs, everythere. Adaptive triggers and haptic feedback? Nobody gives a shit. Nobody ever asked for it. People could play on DS4 and wouldn't bat an eye, many actually would want to but Sony doesn't allow it, so strike one. 3D Audio that works only with headsets? Well, most people play on TV speakers anyway, exactly because they don't care about the sound all that much. And those who do get a surround setup, which again, isn't supported.

Those are the 4 pillars of PS5 marketing campaign you get to see over and over, those are all gimmicks that won't won you a customer. And those are the supposedly good things, but if we flip the coin, there's paid online, is that's what suppose to make people jump from PC to a console? 70€ price tag for every game no matter AAA or indie? Who mentally same will go "yes, I always wanted to pay more for games"? Terrible refund policy as exposed by CP2077? Terrible cross-play policy? The list just goes on and on, while the positives/counterarguments are hard to find.

So I absolutely agree that by offering their games on PC they most likely will lose some crowd, but that's only because PS5 as a gaming platform is a bad proposition for the consumer, and games alone cannot fix that. Especially given they have such narrow portfolio, all they do is TPP story driven games, and not that many of them to begin with, so again, if you're not into those kind of titles, what's the proposition? Gran Turismo, and?

IMO Ryan and Hulst should bring Playstation back to the times before Shawn Layden took over, because it was under under his command when the platform that used to be synonymous with a broad variety of content (and not available elsewhere) became a one-trick pony. Some might say it worked so damn well, sure, but was it really the games or the 399 price tag that gave the console all the momentum?

Top Bottom