• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 fps killing my eyes! Devs should abandon it!

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Hunnybun

Once tvs with HDMI 2.1 is mainstream, 40fps will be the new 30fps. 40fps on a 120hz display is totally fine.

It's certainly a hell of a lot better than 30fps, that's for sure. Personally I still find with Ratchet that the extra smoothness of 60 is preferable to a little bit more clarity at 40fps, but it's definitely a harder choice now.

Even that shouldn't be necessary, though, if Sony ever actually get VRR working on the PS5.

winjer

Gold Member
Haven´t played a single game at 30 fps since the PS3/X360 era. It was ok for the time, but things have improved a lot.
Today I can´t bare playing at 30 fps. 60 fps is the minimum acceptable for a game at this day and age.
30 fps might be OK for tech demos and showing off graphics features. But for gameplay, it´s very lacking.

Sentenza

You have to have brain damage to not be able to tolerate 30 fps. Is as simple as that.
It's the other way around.
It takes a special breed of sperg to enjoy that choppy, chunky slow-paced framerate, where you can basically count the individual images in a scene.

"I'm totally fine with it"/"Can't even tell the difference!". Well, congrats for having the reflexes and poor eyesight of an octogenarian?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Holy christ the hyprbole. 30fps is fine. Literally all the best games ive ever played have been at 30 and I enjoyed the fuck out of them.

From TLOU 2 to Bioshock to God of War.

Hell Matrix demo is the most impressive thing ive EVER seen and it was sub 30. That visual leap we saw in the Matrix demo is 1000x more important/impressive than 60fps.

Represent.

It takes a special breed of sperg to enjoy that choppy, chunky slow-paced framerate, where you can basically count the individual imagines in a scene.

"I'm totally fine with it". Well, congrats for having the reflexes of an octogenarian?
So you've never enjoyed a single game that was 30FPS? Lol. Stop

The vast majority of AAA games have been 30. You hated them all?

Represent.

Well, surely NOT *because* they were 30 fps games, so trying to hold on that type of argument is beyond idiotic.

Maybe in your little walled console garden.
Well you literally said "It takes a special breed of sperg to enjoy that choppy, chunky slow-paced framerate", so I assume you've hated every single 30FPS game ever made.

Which is absolutely ridiculous of course, but to each their own.

I hope the industry never moves to 60fps as standard. Most ridiculously overrated feature in gaming history. Graphical fidelity is more impressive and important.

Hunnybun

It takes a special breed of sperg to enjoy that choppy, chunky slow-paced framerate, where you can basically count the individual images in a scene.

"I'm totally fine with it"/"Can't even tell the difference!". Well, congrats for having the reflexes and poor eyesight of an octogenarian?

There definitely does seem to be a big difference between how people perceive this stuff. I wonder what the actual cause is? Is it actually a sign of better eyesight/cognition etc or is that just our wishful thinking?

Because from my POV 60fps is almost always a PROFOUND improvement in how a game looks. It's definitely more important that a similar increase in resolution, say. Like it's just crazy to me that somebody would choose fucking RT reflections rather than 60fps, and then justify it on the grounds that they prefer graphics. I'm like, yeah so do I!! That's WHY I choose frame rate, cos it LOOKS so much better! I honestly don't know what people who make that choice see. It surely can't be what I'm seeing.

Sentenza

Well you literally said "It takes a special breed of sperg to enjoy that choppy, chunky slow-paced framerate", so I assume you've hated every single 30FPS game ever made.

Which is absolutely ridiculous of course
As it's often the case: you started with a stupid assumption, so you reached a stupid conclusion.

Just because I can't stand 30 fps (or lower) as a standard, especially in modern times, it doesn't mean I must have hated every 30fps game ever made.
Conversely, just because I liked some 30 fps game in the past it doesn't mean that a 30hz refresh rate was precisely what I liked about them or something I would happily endorse for other future titles.

Unless I'm missing something, the thread was never about the idea that no 30hz game ever made could have a single redeeming quality.

Don't buy games that are under 60fps.
If everyone stops buying games sub 60fps, devs will eventually set that as a standard.

Then again, one is cutting down a lot of library that way.

SkylineRKR

Whats so special about the Matrix demo? A rail section and a walking sim with nothing to do. It kinda plays like shit as well. I'm playing Hitman 3 on Series S at 60fps and it feels much better and its not like the game looks like ass.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I truly cannot play 30fps anymore. I won't. I fear some devs are going to still make it a target however. I simply won't be able to play those games if they don't offer a 60 fps option.

DarthMurgus

Neo Member
I'm playing The Last of Us Part 2 these days and my eyes are killing me! I'm trying to avoid camera movements at all costs.

I think that games i played all those years which run at 30 fps and below caused my myopia(especially, playing TES:Oblivion with 15-20 fps for more than 100 hours :messenger_tears_of_joy:). You don't believe it? Here is a literature review about screen time(use of digital devices) and myopia relation: link to scielo.br. They reviewed 9 studies with more than 100.000 participants in total. In conclusion, they can't say it's related for sure but they suspect it may has some effect on it. Maybe someone will do a study about 30 fps vs 60 fps games and their effects on eye problems in future. I think 30 fps does more damage than screen time or resolution.

I think devs should leave this old crap behind. I can handle some low resolution textures here and there. But i can't take this 30 fps bs anymore! It's not healthy at all.

PS: Great game so far btw.

Edit for necromancers: After a suggestion made on this thread 1 year ago, i learned that playing a ps4 game at 30 fps on a 75 hz monitor increases the awfulness of 30 fps. I continued to play The Last of Us 2 (which you can't play on a pc yet) on TV and it was a little more bearable. My thoughts on 30fps haven't really changed, but my frustration eased a bit.
You need a psyciatrist, not more frames. 🤷‍♂️

Hunnybun

Don't buy games that are under 60fps.
If everyone stops buying games sub 60fps, devs will eventually set that as a standard.

Then again, one is cutting down a lot of library that way.

The vote with your wallet argument is always terrible. My boycott wouldn't even register. It's a pointless endeavour.

Hunnybun

I truly cannot play 30fps anymore. I won't. I fear some devs are going to still make it a target however. I simply won't be able to play those games if they don't offer a 60 fps option.

I think they'll carry on giving the option tbh. There's not much reason not to, generally, unless the game is ridiculously heavy on the CPU.

Even if it means going down to 1080p or so, I'd still like the option. Returnal and Metro Exodus both look fine with lower res bases. Certainly better than they would at 1440p30 or whatever.

Hoddi

30fps rarely bothers me that much even after a decade with 120hz+ monitors. I just spent a few hours in Rift Apart at 4k30 (having finished it in the 60fps mode last night) and it only took me a few minutes to adjust.

It still sucks by comparison but I don't find it too hard to adapt. The loss of resolution at 60fps is also very noticeable in my opinion.

Petopia

Banned
30fps rarely bothers me that much even after a decade with 120hz+ monitors. I just spent a few hours in Rift Apart at 4k30 (having finished it in the 60fps mode last night) and it only took me a few minutes to adjust.

It still sucks by comparison but I don't find it too hard to adapt. The loss of resolution at 60fps is also very noticeable in my opinion.
Yes cause we should all think that 30 frames is smooth like what digital foundry says it is.

nkarafo

Normal people enjoy the games while tolerating 30fps locks. They don't actually enjoy 30fps. It would take a special breed of sperg for that, yeah.

Petopia

Banned
Normal people enjoy the games while tolerating 30fps locks. They don't actually enjoy 30fps. It would take a special breed of sperg for that, yeah.
That means they accept mediocrity then not knowing that there are better alternatives out there we're in the 2020s not in the 2000s no more.

tommib

Make 120 FPS the standard in film, also.
fire elmo GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah.
It's just few initial minutes. 30fps looks like a nightmare but give it half an hour and it's fine

nkarafo

If we follow this reasoning PS2 and PS3 must have killed you
PS2 have a bigger ratio of 60fps games than PS3. Especially in racing games. PS3/360 generation had the worst frame rates after the PS1/SAT/N64 generation.

That means they accept mediocrity then not knowing that there are better alternatives out there we're in the 2020s not in the 2000s no more.
Tolerating doesn't mean accepting.

Sometimes you don't have the choice, there are plenty of 30fps console exclusives that are locked at 30fps. I enjoyed a lot of them, i still wish they were 60fps or higher but i don't regret playing them. My favorite game of all time, DOOM, was a 35fps locked game before modern engines appeared.

Also, ironically, consoles in the early 2000's (DC, PS2, GC, XBOX) have a better ratio of 60fps games compared to more modern gens.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

For me it just depends how close to the screen I am. If it's like a 1 to 1 ratio of screen size to distance, then yeah it's pretty noticeable. If it's more like 1.5 to 1 (which is actually recommended for a 4k screen) then it's a pretty minor difference. Like I'd probably have to strain to tell the difference.

I feel ya OP. I recently played Kena and that game was terrible at 30fps. The 60fps mode was great however and my preferred way to play. It was the same with Guardians of the Galaxy too. The 30fps mode was trash due to frame pacing issues but was a joy at 60fps. I just want the option. Some games can do 30fps properly and it’s worth it for the extra eye candy but the minimum bar should be 60fps in most games.

k1m1d4n

I have this issue and I would like to know if anyone else has this or if there is somebody who can explain this to me.
I'm playing demon souls on ps5 using the 60fps performance mode, but when I see video clips for the game either on the ps5 or YouTube they seem more "60fps" than when I'm playing.
Why is it?

Hunnybun

I have this issue and I would like to know if anyone else has this or if there is somebody who can explain this to me.
I'm playing demon souls on ps5 using the 60fps performance mode, but when I see video clips for the game either on the ps5 or YouTube they seem more "60fps" than when I'm playing.
Why is it?

Do you find the same with other games? If so then it could just be that you're too absorbed in the game to actually appreciate the visuals?

If not, no idea lol.

Three

Or they don't care. Of course if people could get higher frames they would but they can enjoy 30fps games and not care at all that it's 30fps.

Top Bottom