• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't take 30 fps games seriously anymore

orimagdos

Banned
Man, you know what, after enjoying so many games with 60 fps modes on the Series X I can't even play at 30 fps anymore. It just looks so goofy and janky I can't engage with the game, I'm distracted by the choppiness, I can't aim well or even take in the story as my eyes just see the lack of fluidity. I'll take any graphical hits for the 60 fps mode because I won't notice a difference, but the 30 fps makes the whole image look bad in motion I can't appreciate the graphics tbh. When playing at 60 I'm in the game, I'm fully engaged and enjoying myself and at 30 I just wanna delete the game. It's funny how I put up with 30 and sub 30 during PS360/PS4 days but I can't anymore. I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.
If you dont take 30 fps games seriously then you shouldnt own a console in the first place. Go buy a pc. If you dont have the money its your problem.

Man, you know what, after enjoying so many games with 60 fps modes on the Series X I can't even play at 30 fps anymore. It just looks so goofy and janky I can't engage with the game, I'm distracted by the choppiness, I can't aim well or even take in the story as my eyes just see the lack of fluidity. I'll take any graphical hits for the 60 fps mode because I won't notice a difference, but the 30 fps makes the whole image look bad in motion I can't appreciate the graphics tbh. When playing at 60 I'm in the game, I'm fully engaged and enjoying myself and at 30 I just wanna delete the game. It's funny how I put up with 30 and sub 30 during PS360/PS4 days but I can't anymore. I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.
I felt this way since Virtua fighter 2 came out on the Saturn.

Reactions: Kyo
I jumped to PC gaming BECAUSE games were performing like shit during 7th gen.
If anything, the Xbox 360 and PS3 together sold 173.22 million units.

Not to mention that PC got awful ports in 7th gen, Saint Rows 2 still drops to single digits during that boat section.

AREYOUOKAY?

I've been playing Ocarina of Time again recently. It's 20fps. It's also one of the best games of all time.

You are a wet boy.
5Jd0n50.png

Oh please. I've played through Deadly Premonition 2
without patching it.

DavidGzz

Every time I see a thread like this it reminds me of how Sony abandoned Bloodborne to its 30 fps stuttery purgatory. Shameful.

Knightime_X

30fps is fine as long as a 60fps version of the same game exists.
Just don't expect me to play said 30fps version

Last edited:

charles8771

Go to play games on PS3 and Xbox 360 if you think 30fps is bad enough.
As games in that gen couldn't even ran at 30fps, some games like Mass Effect ran like a PowerPoint slideshow

Bojji

The highest rated game from that gen is Grand Theft Auto IV, which of course ran poorly.
But well it was the biggest game in 2008

84sSPPh.jpg
IIGZ1cc.jpg

I completed PS3 version and it was terrible, I also bought GTA5 at launch on PS3 and dropped it after few hours (played years later on PC).

Most console folks didn't care about performance that much, games that were running like shit sold millions (Zelda, GTA, Skyrim etc.), ones that did care jumped to PC gaming. Gen 8 at least had most games 30fps locked.

nkarafo

I've been playing Ocarina of Time again recently. It's 20fps. It's also one of the best games of all time.

You are a wet boy.

- Game is slow paced.
- No camera control other than a button that snaps it behind you.
- Not too much detail on screen for you to miss.
- Frame rate is low but also very stable which makes it easier to get used to it.
- Game is technically obsolete. You know that in the back of your head when you play it and adjust your expectations.

So yeah, in Ocarina of Time the 20fps rate was acceptable for the standards of what we had at the time. Remember, some of the stuff the game could do was new. Being able to see a massive 3D outdoors overworld with no pop-up or fog was unheard of, at least with the hardware the average person had access to.

You can't compare the standards of the time with today though. 20fps were OK then but now it's unacceptable. It's not a good argument.

I'm also sure that, if a game today was released with the same visuals as Ocarina of Time you wouldn't argue "I've been playing Ocarina of Time again recently. It's low-res, low poly, blurry and ugly. It's also one of the best games of all time". You would be mad about the obsolete graphics just like everyone else. You wouldn't give it a pass. So why excuse obsolete frame rates? Why this particular technical aspect has to get a pass?

Drizzlehell

Banned
My outlook on this kinda changed after I bought a 170 Hz monitor recently and experimented with different refresh rates and how easy it is for your eyes to get used to any refresh rate that isn't a slideshow. And the latter will only start to happen when the framerate dips into sub-30 territory, IMO.

The most shocking revelation was when I started switching between refresh rates using Riva Tuner on the fly and saw what a huge difference it makes to have the game run at 120 FPS and higher. It literally makes 60 FPS look uncomfortable for a while before your eyes get used to it.

So, my final verdict about this whole debacle is that it's more important for a game to run at a STABLE framerate and this is infinitely more important than trying to push for the highest framerate possible. Once your eyes get used to a specific framerate, it won't really matter what it is as long as the game is playable, and it's actually so much worse when the framerate dips and spikes all the time because then it's always distracting and puts more strain on your eyes.

Every time this has ever been put to a poll at normie sites, it always goes out that 75%+ play the game with graphics cranked up at 30fps. Most of these devs feel like they're going above and beyond just offering you a performance mode in the first place.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Here's where I'm at :
60fps is always going to be better than 30fps but, that's not the problem - I played many 30fps games in my life on my CRT, LCD and Plasma TVs with no problem whatsoever (always depending on the game obviously), the real, "modern" problem is OLED, I just cannot for the life of me get accustomed to 30fps due the the OLED instant response time.
Everything 30fps has this...juddery motion and feels like you're wading through molasses, it's just the weirdest thing and no amount of in-game motion blur can fix that for me, it just doesn't feel "right".

You know what's funny ? the fact that the new 40Hz /fps mode that some games have feel like the 30fps of yore when playing on an OLED - It doesn't feel like you gain +10 fps (aka "faster" refresh rate) but, again , it makes the games supported have that 30fps feel that many of us are used to.

For me, it's so bad gents/gals that if I had witnessed this "phenomenon" beforehand I'd have opted for a different kind of TV (mini LED/Full array etc) instead of OLED...

I like (but not love) my LG C2 but the 30fps thing in games plus the juddery motion in 24fps movies is something that i'd have preferred to live without.

Cheers

Last edited:
You're spoiled. Nothing more. All that you spew is bullshit, sorry dude. 30fps hurts the eyesssszz!!!!!! is complete horseSHIT. It's been proven.

It's not janky, its a bit slower. Stop overreacting, the fucking lot of you.

- Game is slow paced.
- No camera control other than a button that snaps it behind you.
- Not too much detail on screen for you to miss.
- Frame rate is low but also very stable which makes it easier to get used to it.
- Game is technically obsolete. You know that in the back of your head when you play it and adjust your expectations.

So yeah, in Ocarina of Time the 20fps rate was acceptable for the standards of what we had at the time. Remember, some of the stuff the game could do was new. Being able to see a massive 3D outdoors overworld with no pop-up or fog was unheard of, at least with the hardware the average person had access to.

You can't compare the standards of the time with today though. 20fps were OK then but now it's unacceptable. It's not a good argument.

I'm also sure that, if a game today was released with the same visuals as Ocarina of Time you wouldn't argue "I've been playing Ocarina of Time again recently. It's low-res, low poly, blurry and ugly. It's also one of the best games of all time". You would be mad about the obsolete graphics just like everyone else. You wouldn't give it a pass. So why excuse obsolete frame rates? Why this particular technical aspect has to get a pass?

Ocarina of time could run at 30fps or 60fps or 120fps, and maybe it would be slightly better for it, but to suggest that just about any game (that isn't specifically made and balanced for 60fps) is unplayable to you JUST because it's at 30fps is insane to me.

Also, it's not that deep. I just re-read the OP "[At 30ps] I can't aim well or even take in the story as my eyes just see the lack of fluidity". Your EYES? SEE the lack of FLUIDITY? Whether you agree with me or not, ain't that just about the dumbest shit you've read all day????

Last edited:

John Wick

I've never had a problem. Can play at 30,60,90,120 etc.
But OP have you tried 120fps? Or 240fps? Try those and the same will happen to 60fps.....

Hohenheim

I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.
Not laughing, but for PC players this is something we've been used to for many years.
I totally get that going back to 30 fps is terrible, and it's good that console-only players finally start getting more games in higher fps. Just wait until you get used to playing first person shooters in 120+ fps with mouse/keyboard. Going back to sub 60fps with a controller will feel like hell.

proandrad

I've never had a problem. Can play at 30,60,90,120 etc.
But OP have you tried 120fps? Or 240fps? Try those and the same will happen to 60fps.....
It won’t. Yeah, 120/240 looks better but the jump from 30 to 60 is much larger. 60 to 120 looks more like 30 to 40fps on a 120 hz screen imo.

Hero_Select

As someone who still games on retro consoles. I can. It's completely fine and playable and sometimes I go Quality mode over Performance depending on the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
To be fair, 30fps is relatively uncomfortable on an OLED. The panel doesn’t have enough blur to smooth out the motion.
Ehhh that’s an exaggeration. More impactful for 24foa movies.

One huge hint to w everyone. Especially 30fps oled gamers.

Don’t fucking turn off motion blur as the first thing after starting a game. It’s not gta3 after image ps2 blur. Motion blur is fantastic for many years now and it exists to enrich fluidity of animations. Believe it or not. You need it even at 60 or 120fps. I only didnt feel the need for it at 240hz. Of course there are bad cases but for the most part it’s good and beneficial.

Tl;dr don’t turn off motion blur you stupid idiots. (Not the person I respond to :p)

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Guess it depends on the genre and the frame pacing, but I agree in most cases just started Lords of the fallen on ps5 and in performance mode it’s decent still needs a few patches but mostly feels good. However in visual mode or whatever it’s called the game has horrible frame pacing like they glued two 15fps games together to make a 30 it’s visually nauseating and I can’t understand why you would even offer the optio. To players when it looks and feels so bad.

Top Bottom