• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't take 30 fps games seriously anymore

Roxkis_ii

Quit gaming then.

It’s not going anywhere.

60fps stifles creativity and requires too much sacrifice.

Buy a pc if you demand 60fps.

Why do you think games keep coming out with proformance modes if 30 is not going anywhere? Why waste the dev resources?

Unless people are demanding better and devs are listening.

If you like 30 fps games, good for you, but most people are starting to dream bigger this console gen.

Damigos

30 fps is just unbearable to me too.
If its 30 fps game like Uncharted 4 which is very steady i would probably play it..in 2018
Nowadays there is simply no chance. I saw a friend of mine play Starfield on his Series X and i couldnt even watch it

A good compromise is for the consoles to always use 120hz mode. You get the benefit of less input lag, and can use either 30, 40, or 60 fps rendering.

Markio128

Some games seem to play well in 30fps whilst others are dreadful. It really depends on the game.

I’m currently playing Cyberpunk in RT mode on PS5, and it doesn’t bother me one bit. However, prior to the latest patch, it was performance mode all the way because the RT mode was almost unplayable.

Reactions: TGO

Bojji

With OLED screen 30FPS is really fucked up experience, only with some heavy motion blur it's tolerable (FFXVI). But when there is a choice (fuck you FFXVI) 60FPS or ar least 40FPS is the way to go - Spider Man in 40 mode looks brilliant on PS5.

That's why I can't abandon PC gaming, console games will eventually be 30FPS again and I can't stand that (I wouldn't play Starfield on Xbox).

captainpat

I'm not going to avoid a game because it's 30fps

but I will be constantly thinking to myself how much better the game would look if it was 60fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It really takes 15 minutes to get used to it. Ff16 has very low lag 30fps mode. One of few games to do 30fps as this year.

Or bloodborne. F me that game is more responsive and smoother looking than some 60fps games. I will take some framepacing issues as a price.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I've been gaming for over 30 years and have played games at many varying frame rates. It never has been particularly important to me. Sure, I like 60, 120, 144 fps, but I can play a 30 fps game just as easily. It usually only takes me a few minutes to get acclimated.
This!

O.p. like alot of people nowadays just love to cry over literally nothing....Wah wah wah I don't like thing.

It takes an hour max to adjust to it for even the most irasscibile ones.It takes me a couple mins at most after gaming at 60fps all month long or something.Its a non issue.I've been playing since the Sega Genesis days and I've never had an issue with 30 fps,hell i remember the good old days on PS3 with Skyrim at 15 fps after the inventory would clog up cuz Bethesda forgot to put a fail safe on the inventory lmao or like 80% of games back then playing at sub 30 most of the time.No one was crying back then as much as the crybabies nowadays.Maybe if you guys would shut the fuck up for a second we wouldn't have the most dissapointing generation graphically right now.

"Bu bu bu game has no performance mode,Its impossible to play this"
z1GSidf.jpg

I love 60 fps as much as anyone but a game being 30 fps doesn't make it a lesser game.In fact some of the greatest games of all time are still 30 or stuck on older hardware.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ocarina of Time was like 15 FPS and is still one of the best games of all time
Exactly. While low fps is not ideal, it really doesn’t matter if devs release the game the way they intended. Once you get into the game, it’s amazing.

You know what’s most curious? I have fe 95-98 pcs. Finally managed to find 3dfx voodoo diamond last year. Just like the one I had in 1997 when I was 8.
And guess what? Everything runs like shit. Quake 2 and unreal are 15-20fps games on 3dfx.

and the best part is - I had a conversation with my friend explaining him how amazing everything ran and looked once I got voodoo :p

BigLee74

Starfield was the first 30fps game I have played in a long time. Very jarring to begin with, and at best became tolerable.

Framerate matters.

(and I saw no reason whatsoever why the game could not have reached 60fps on the XSX other than a shoddy engine)

Roxkis_ii

Ocarina of Time was like 15 FPS and is still one of the best games of all time

If Ocarina of Time release today the same way it came out in 1998, it would get roasted until the cartridge exploded.

The standards people have for games has changed after 25 years.

It really takes 15 minutes to get used to it. Ff16 has very low lag 30fps mode. One of few games to do 30fps as this year.

Or bloodborne. F me that game is more responsive and smoother looking than some 60fps games. I will take some framepacing issues as a price.
This so much, whenever I play Bloodborne it's like, "wait? this is 30 fps?". I recall a digital foundry video where they show the frameskips when you pan the camera around and suggest it can be patched - casually mentioning that input latency would take a hit. 😡

BlackTron

Poor you suffering seeing real life with its fake infinite fps...

I agree with mocking his take but not in this way. I don't think comparing real life is a good example because in film there is a legitimate reason to avoid 60FPS. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the weird effect the first time seeing the Hobbit in the movie theater.

But it sounds like he just repeated the issue he heard from camera captured real life films and said that's the issue with 60FPS games. Guys I love Nintendo Switch too but these are some cringe coping strategies

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I agree with mocking his take but not in this way. I don't think comparing real life is a good example because in film there is a legitimate reason to avoid 60FPS. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed the weird effect the first time seeing the Hobbit in the movie theater.

But it sounds like he just repeated the issue he heard from camera captured real life films and said that's the issue with 60FPS games. Guys I love Nintendo Switch too but these are some cringe coping strategies
There is no weird effect in Hobbit at 48fps. It's just 48 fps and it's glorious compared to 24fps.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I will not buy or even play a console game that is only 30 fps. Won't play Gotham Knights on console. Didn't play Watch Dogs Legion until it got a performance mode and will not play Starfield on console until it gets 60 fps minimum. However, I am enjoying Starfield on my PC, so that's a moot point.

I am 100% done with 30 fps and I hope developers make sure there is always a performance mode on PS5 and XSX (XSS can pound sand)
Couldn’t agree more. First thing I do before playing a game is check that it’s capable of 60, if it’s not I’m not playing or buying it.

Well not every genre or game needs to be 60fps. I'm just happy everyone is prioritising image quality.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Locked 30fps is perfectly fine in any game, as long as it doesn't drop below that.

60fps is preferable in faster paced games.

40hz-mode is ideal on a 120hz tv.

120fps is always nice to have.

Imo

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This so much, whenever I play Bloodborne it's like, "wait? this is 30 fps?". I recall a digital foundry video where they show the frameskips when you pan the camera around and suggest it can be patched - casually mentioning that input latency would take a hit. 😡
Exactly. I got ps5 and demons souls. I played it in 60 fps because the 30fps mode is so laggy. I’ve said no way bb was like that, I installed it right there and then and now. It’s very responsive

marjo

If a game is gpu limited, there's really no excuse not to offer a lower resolution at 60 fps. If it's cpu limited, I suppose they have a valid excuse if the game is very ambitious and already well optimized.

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm also on the performance camp. But tbh then the studio knows how to do proper 30fps IF I'm playing on a controller and the game is not that fast pace and can endure the performance. But not a lot of games convince me to do that.

BlackTron

There is no weird effect in Hobbit at 48fps. It's just 48 fps and it's glorious compared to 24fps.

It's been awhile, thought it was 60. In any case, I could understand people who brought it up. I watched the movie before knowing anything changed and something felt "off" about it.

I'm not exactly alone on this, film critics almost unanimously had a bad reaction to Hobbit 48 FPS

Man, you know what, after enjoying so many games with 60 fps modes on the Series X I can't even play at 30 fps anymore. It just looks so goofy and janky I can't engage with the game, I'm distracted by the choppiness, I can't aim well or even take in the story as my eyes just see the lack of fluidity. I'll take any graphical hits for the 60 fps mode because I won't notice a difference, but the 30 fps makes the whole image look bad in motion I can't appreciate the graphics tbh. When playing at 60 I'm in the game, I'm fully engaged and enjoying myself and at 30 I just wanna delete the game. It's funny how I put up with 30 and sub 30 during PS360/PS4 days but I can't anymore. I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.
Try playing 30fps on an OLED. It's even worse.

Zuzu

I would love it if 40fps became the baseline for acceptable performance because it’s a great compromise between graphics and frame rate.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Given the choice I will always choose 60 FPS over 30 FPS but I’m not crazy obsessive that can’t enjoy games that runs on 30 FPS.

cortadew

I've been gaming for over 30 years and have played games at many varying frame rates. It never has been particularly important to me. Sure, I like 60, 120, 144 fps, but I can play a 30 fps game just as easily. It usually only takes me a few minutes to get acclimated.
This is my exact experience

yamaci17

Exactly. I got ps5 and demons souls. I played it in 60 fps because the 30fps mode is so laggy. I’ve said no way bb was like that, I installed it right there and then and now. It’s very responsive
thankfully you have full freedom on pc to make every game in existence to be that snappy at 30 fps without frametime and framepacing issues with the combination VRR+reflex

its funny and ironic, best way to get 30 fps nowadays is most likely PC because console devs stopped giving a damn to 30 fps lol

look at ps4 gow ragnarok and ps5 gow ragnarok at 30 FPS. ps4 has better frame pacing stability and better motion blur shutter settings and have better input snappiness than ps5 for example. it almost feels like them devs went like "well dont bother making 30 fps playable on ps5 version, everyone gonna be playing 40 60 80+ fps anywayss"

It's funny how I put up with 30 and sub 30 during PS360/PS4 days but I can't anymore. I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.
Even back then during the PS360 generation there was those of us telling y’all those framerates were ass, but y’all don’t listen man.

Chastten

Banned
I genuinely feel sorry for people like OP. So many games you'll never be able to enjoy. That must really suck.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying a few rounds of Wave Race 64 running at something like 20 fps and enjoying the hell out of it.

MarkMe2525

If this was true, 1 fps would be just as easily too. Try it to see.
I played many of Flight Sims and Hard Driving back in my day, and you would be lucky to achieve double digit frame rates. It worked for the time but would barely be considered "real time" by todays standards.

We have discovered long ago that there is a minimum threshold of frame rate which is required to "trick" our brain into perceiving the changing images as motion. I would state that it is obvious that a game needs to meet this minimum threshold before we can even talk about playing a game comfortably.

Taking my point to the extreme is not very productive and also quite irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You know, if besides gaming, you also watch TV shows and movies, playing games at +60fps will be always be reminding you that you are playing a game.

Which, want it or not, is counter-productive on games that relies heavily in immersion.

Games being only games was a thing 20 years ago. Now they can be much more richier experiences.
For example:

Playing Minecraft at 30fps, which is 100% pure gameplay based, will be like scratching chalkboard.
At the same time, plaing something like TLOU2 and watch a cinematic at 60 fps, will also feel weird and distracting, because your brain is used to 24fps in videos.

Narrative immersion / gameplay is a balance, each type of game benefits more from one or the other.
And even if a lot of people think about games like "only games", there's also a lot of people who plays them for the immersion, the world, the ccharacters, and the story, and ultra-fine-tuned gameplay is a second priority.

Devs should respect both. ANd people advocating for 'only gameplay matters' should also respect other people way of enjoying a game.
Oh man... This is definitely the opposite to me... I'm completely thrown away by lack of motion clarity in games, I get you want games to look and feel like movies, but others including me, don't. Even in Zelda o Switch which are mostly locked 30 fps and I love those games I can't stop thinking in how much better the animations would look if they were 60 fps.

As an example, Link running animation feels choppy to me in BOTW/TOTK because of the speed of it at 30 fps. Doesn't make me hate the game but definitely makes me remember "yeah, this is definitely a 30 fps game".

If you can't see it, feel lucky then.

60fps stifles creativity and requires too much sacrifice.
I guess higher internal and assets resolution is so creative then because that's where most resources get wasted on consoles.

Your eyes adjust in 15 min

I can spend hours playing and never get used, I'll keep going if it's Zelda or something that big to me, but doesn't change the fact I'll be missing fluid animations and camera movement.

Also, it's not always about responsiveness, 30 fps (and even 40 to me) lacks all the motion fluidity aesthetic. What to you is "more pixels", "more resolution", "more sampling"... To some of us is "better motion clarity".

If Ocarina of Time release today the same way it came out in 1998, it would get roasted until the cartridge exploded.

The standards people have for games has changed after 25 years.
THIS. It's curious to see the same people asking for bigger graphics leaps to complain about 30 fps because "it was good back then" (it wasn't for many of us tho), as if only their standards evolve but other people standards must stay the same just they're pleased. LOL.

If a game is gpu limited, there's really no excuse not to offer a lower resolution at 60 fps. If it's cpu limited, I suppose they have a valid excuse if the game is very ambitious and already well optimized.
This is a great example of a proper compromise I'd be able to give up. But most performance is wasted on graphic settings rather than actual features.

It's been awhile, thought it was 60. In any case, I could understand people who brought it up. I watched the movie before knowing anything changed and something felt "off" about it.

I'm not exactly alone on this, film critics almost unanimously had a bad reaction to Hobbit 48 FPS
Well, high frame rate in film and in games feel different to me, I don't like it in films and I need in 99% of my games. Just not comparable.

Z O N E

I'm fine with 30FPS as my eyes can adjust very quickly to it (literally within like a 1 minute) so it makes no difference to me.

But multiplayer games HAVE to be 60FPS, no question there.

Top Bottom