• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 Gaming Drought about to be over...PLEASE BE EXCITE

mansoor1980

Gold Member
oh ELDEN RING you say OP ? that is just too
Extreme-Asian-Announcement-At-The-Podium-Reaction-Gif.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No drought for me as since January 4th, I have played and completed Gears 5 Hivebusters, Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, The Division 2, Spider Man: Miles Morales, The Division 2: Warlords of New York expansion, Gears Tactics, Immortals Fenyx Rising: Myths of the Eastern Realm expansion and Outriders. Have also put 35 hours into Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

Still playing Outriders but later this week, I will be playing The Lost Gods expansion for Immortals Fenyx Rising followed by Resident Evil VIII: Village, The Division 2: Season One, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Necromunda: Hired Gun by the end of June. Since I expect the Summer to be slow for me, I can finally fully invest time into Assassin's Creed Valhalla and The Wrath of the Druids expansion so I can finally catch up.

Then late summer and fall, im expecting The Ascent, Wolfenstein III and Halo Infinite to round out the year for me which by the time that happens, the current gen upgrade will be out for Cyberpunk 2077 so I can finally play that as well.

And then just thinking about 2022, I will need to somehow someway turn 24 hours a day into 48 hours a day since im expecting next year to be stacked from beginning to end. Hyped!!!

RaZoR No1

I cant keep up with the games I want to play atm and you say we have a draught?
If you want to get busy for a while, start with the Yakuza series

Labadal

A bunch of crap and nier remake.
Drought
Way to shit on someone elses tastes. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you have to act like a fucking idiot.

There is no drought, just because you don't like the games, doesn't make it so.

When did we have a ton of AAA titles at the beginning of the year, ever? All those games come out pre Christmas and then slowly closer to Spring.

Way to shit on someone elses tastes. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you have to act like a fucking idiot.

its objectively a weak Q1...sure, there’s some games but not really the same as in years prior

SCB3

I haven't fe;t too much of a drought, but I've been able to clear some of my backlog as well

For me so far this year in terms of new releases I've Played:

• Hitman 3 (for far too many hours)
  • The Medium
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Outriders

So at least 1 a month or so, tie this in with Destiny's season, Fortnite and some backlog games, I've been entertained, May however is looking stacked:

• Pokemon Snap
  • Returnal
  • RE Village
  • Mass Effect Collection

All that is gonna keep me busy for the summer I think ready for E3

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Just because he likes something, does not mean there is no drought.
There are always games to play but it's no 2011

Guilty_AI

Drought? I guess only for people who are incapable of liking or being excited for anything that doesn't have a millionaire marketing budget

Shubh_C63

This years E3 has the potential to dethrone some of the best E3s.

Sony could drop so many game reveals if recent news are to be believed.
Microsoft with that Halo, Starfield would already claim hearts.
And Nintendo with the only thing you need, BotW2 Dark.

Really excited for both RE8 and Biomutant. Going in blind with RE8. I just know theres a tall lady and I think a castle at some point. Going to play the shit out of it hopefully if it's anywhere near as good as RE7 or RE2 Remake. Loved both of those.

Other than that been playing Diablo 3, just bought Hades, have Remnant From The Ashes from PS+...and a bunch of other games I haven't touched. I need time more than anything.

Will also pick up Returnal once the price drops. Looks pretty fun but not $70 fun.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Really excited for both RE8 and Biomutant. Going in blind with RE8. I just know theres a tall lady and I think a castle at some point. Going to play the shit out of it hopefully if it's anywhere near as good as RE7 or RE2 Remake. Loved both of those.

Other than that been playing Diablo 3, just bought Hades, have Remnant From The Ashes from PS+...and a bunch of other games I haven't touched. I need time more than anything.

Will also pick up Returnal once the price drops. Looks pretty fun but not $70 fun.
If you live in America, and have a Walmart, just buy it from there, Walmart sells games at a fraction of the price. Brand new ones too. That's how I buy my Switch games.

angrod14

Hopefully we see something meaty from Naughty Dog in the upcoming E3. TLOU Remake + Part II PS5 Remaster + Factions II Multiplayer, all announced simultaneously with full gameplay showcases. All over my face.

Derktron

Banned
hehe yeah but was drawing blank. No list war but Halo, Starfield, Forza, ES6-tease, Biomutants, Turn10-RPG.
I'm just saying, Microsoft has those games now. The question is WHEN THE FUCK ARE WE GOING TO SEE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -- Joking aside, I think Microsoft has some cool stuff coming out especially with Bethesda.

kunonabi

Pretty much just Hitman 3 for me this year so far. I think for the rest of year I'm looking at Hood: Outlaws and Legends, Guilty Gear -Strive-, The King of Fighters XV, The Caligula Effect 2, and Shin Hayarigami 3. Will grab a couple other things if Nintendo ever releases competent Switch hardware.

So still won't buying much for in the near term but things look better than last year regardless.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Backlogs don’t really count, but kudos for those that have them

Q1 has been universally slow across the board
Switch has been carrying the heavy load for me. I honestly haven't even been able to play it all yet.

Mario 3D World
Bravely Default II
Monster Hunter Rise
NieR Automata (PS4)

Hasn't been much of a drought, but I know what you mean. A Playstation drought I guess. My PS5 is basically just used for Nioh 2 after I beat Demon's Souls last year. I'm also getting RE8 next month so that'll be fun. Then back to Switch for Mario Golf.

I'm not personally into Ratchet, but I'm sure it'll be solid.

Sony doesn't have a great history of announcing games at E3 that come out the same year, so I think you'll be coasting on trailers for another large stretch. Might want to hold off on declaring the Playstation drought dead just yet. The PS4 launch drought lasted like 3 years.

Last edited:
Haven't really bought a lot of new games this year so far. 3D World+Bowser's Fury is really it now that I think about it. Looking forward to a few games though, BOTW2, Deathloop, Hood: Outlaws and Legends, Biomutant, Dying Light 2, Halo Infinite, Mario Golf, Back4Blood, Stray, Psychonauts 2, 12 Minutes, Chivalry 2. Doubt I'd get all of those, but there's a few that really have my attention and if they review well, I'll pick them up.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Haven't really bought a lot of new games this year so far. 3D World+Bowser's Fury is really it now that I think about it. Looking forward to a few games though, BOTW2, Deathloop, Hood: Outlaws and Legends, Biomutant, Dying Light 2, Halo Infinite, Mario Golf, Back4Blood, Stray, Psychonauts 2, 12 Minutes, Chivalry 2. Doubt I'd get all of those, but there's a few that really have my attention and if they review well, I'll pick them up.
me too, I haven't been buying a lot of games like before. It's rare for me to do that. I just have Gamepass and that is enough for me. As for my Switch. Kind of collecting dust as we speak. Nothing really good. The last I picked up for it was Persona to get myself to like it but I don't know. Doesn't feel like my type of game. I guess I can say that for every game I play now.

DrAspirino

Banned
It is like you don't even know who Nintendo is. Nintendo has never been shy when it comes to rereleasing hardware with minimum changes to fleece us fans. You can bet there will be an upgraded console and "most" new games will be compatible with the older one... ...until they are not.
And seeing that they still have a contract with nVidia, you can bet that the new "Switch Pro" won't even be capable of 4K, since the most powerful Tegra SoC that nVidia has released, gets only UP TO 2.8 TFLOP, which is nowhere near the minimum to have 4K (let alone ray-tracing).

Animagic

Banned
Been a rough 4 months to start 2021. Normally the first part of the year is full of games but everything has been delayed.

But starting this week we are getting a game that will be the first big AAA next gen title and a likely GOTY candidate with Returnal

Then in about a week later we will get RE8 which is shaping up to be a gorgeous and meaty addition to the series even if it’s cross gen.

About a month after that we will get Ratchet, with hopefully the longest and most ambitious entry into the series and another great showcase of next gen potential

after that? Well, the flood gates of info should drop as it is E3 season. And this should hopefully be a doozy. Next gen battlefield, Horizon FW blowout, God of War Ragnarok first look, and a slew of unannounced next gen titles. Microsoft will hopefully show a much more polished Halo and next gen gameplay debuts of announced titles, and Nintendo revealing BOTW2 and Switch Pro

I’m extremely hyped for what’s to come! This is like Christmas for gaming enthusiasts.
I’ve been playing a bunch of indie shoot-em-ups and having a blast. R-Type Final 2 is right around the corner!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man you made the thread at just the right time. Looks like the floodgates HAVE opened. I wouldnt be surprised if BF6 gets revealed this week. they did tweet that the announcement was coming soon.

I have absolutely no desire to play my backlog. I have yet to finish dreams, start cybperunk, start avengers and buy it takes two. These last gen games arent doing it for me anymore.

Man you made the thread at just the right time. Looks like the floodgates HAVE opened. I wouldnt be surprised if BF6 gets revealed this week. they did tweet that the announcement was coming soon.

I have absolutely no desire to play my backlog. I have yet to finish dreams, start cybperunk, start avengers and buy it takes two. These last gen games arent doing it for me anymore.

yup. I’m expecting battlefield in mid may after RE8 but I heard some tweets from Zhuge about a game getting revived and shown off tomorrow, so maybe

it’s kinda sad that cyberpunk wasn’t just delayed and made next gen only. That game won’t really recover once there’s an onslaught of next gen

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If all you play is AAA games then yeah, you gonna experience drought more often, thankfully for me I much bigger fan of AA games compare to AAA games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yup. I’m expecting battlefield in mid may after RE8 but I heard some tweets from Zhuge about a game getting revived and shown off tomorrow, so maybe

it’s kinda sad that cyberpunk wasn’t just delayed and made next gen only. That game won’t really recover once there’s an onslaught of next gen
i thought zhuge was talking about elder rings since it was announced a while ago in 2019. or even gow since it was announced in september with a logo and then completely disappeared.

Switch pro will be the dock with upsampling,some processor on the chip to allow 60fps. With the portable game mode pushed to 720p 30fps and chips in the cartridges just like the super fx chip.
Allowing the older switch install base to continue and Nintendo just to keep making them.
That’s my guess.

Or it comes in two flavours older switch like above with dock adapter and newer with all on the system.

though that’s skirting too close to mega cd/32x madness.

don’t do that Nintendo. Dont do a sega.
Switch DLSS is real. I have developer friends. I’ll leave it at that 😝

MrSec84

And seeing that they still have a contract with nVidia, you can bet that the new "Switch Pro" won't even be capable of 4K, since the most powerful Tegra SoC that nVidia has released, gets only UP TO 2.8 TFLOP, which is nowhere near the minimum to have 4K (let alone ray-tracing).
You can bet even without going crazy on specs, just including Tensor Cores and using at least Turing Architecture it could run higher clock speeds and add DLSS 2.1 or whatever version of NVidia's AI Upscaling tech is available to take 900p or 1080p native docked games to 4K using DLSS and we've all seen close that can look to native 4K.
The best thing about DLSS for most new Switch Pro owners is going to be that DLSS would also allow for better battery life in portable mode, because the games could be rendered below their native original Switch levels, to reduce the stress on the GPU and thus drop power consumption.

Even 720p OLED is going to have massive benefits on how games look on the go, the contrast, specular highlights on possibly adding HDR to games would be great.
I wouldn't expect native 4K, but assuming Nintendo just doubled the Cuda Cores (256 Maxwell to 512 Turing or Ampere), used faster clock speeds (from 307.2MHz portable on 2017 Switch to 768Mhz, 768 Docked to say 1536 or thereabouts), Turing or Ampere, even without RT Cores that's a huge upgrade over the current Switch and potentially allows the system to run games that wouldn't come to the base 2017 Switch.
Better ARM CPU tech, more RAM with way more bandwidth and better compression technologies are going to have a knock on positive effect on the overall system performance.

It's all speculation, but we really don't know the exact details about what the system could have, these are just educated guesses.
Native 4K isn't necessary though, just a better baseline level of hardware for 3rd party devs in particular to work with to actually get their games on the portable (assuming it's a portable), hell Nintendo could surprise and make a dedicated home console version of Switch with more hardware performance than at least Xbox Series S, though I think the rumours are mainly pointing to a new handheld.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Been a rough 4 months to start 2021. Normally the first part of the year is full of games but everything has been delayed.

But starting this week we are getting a game that will be the first big AAA next gen title and a likely GOTY candidate with Returnal

Then in about a week later we will get RE8 which is shaping up to be a gorgeous and meaty addition to the series even if it’s cross gen.

About a month after that we will get Ratchet, with hopefully the longest and most ambitious entry into the series and another great showcase of next gen potential

after that? Well, the flood gates of info should drop as it is E3 season. And this should hopefully be a doozy. Next gen battlefield, Horizon FW blowout, God of War Ragnarok first look, and a slew of unannounced next gen titles. Microsoft will hopefully show a much more polished Halo and next gen gameplay debuts of announced titles, and Nintendo revealing BOTW2 and Switch Pro

I’m extremely hyped for what’s to come! This is like Christmas for gaming enthusiasts.

2021 Gaming Drought about to be over...PLEASE BE EXCITE

tenor.gif

/s

I'm actually "too" excited that I need a tranquilizer pill.

Jeremy-Renner.gif

Top Bottom